PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Homebrew races for campaign (PEACH)

Erberor
2015-05-25, 08:54 PM
Races of Gontholmar

So I'm working on a set of races for a campaign (and the world it takes place in, Gontholmar, as you may have known from the title), and I need some feedback. In general, I'm looking to make choice of race more meaningful and overall have greater impact. Some of these races are designed under a somewhat specific idea that differs from the typical vision of that race (most notably orcs, goblins and gargoyles), and I'll make notes about those as needed.

So, before I begin, it should be said that I'm looking to balance things around the human race, with the modifications I've made. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Human
As normal except as follows:
Ability score adjustments: +1 to two different ability scores

Human is good. Not much to change at all, and it gives a good balance point for the other races. I did decide on +1 to two stats instead of +2 to one because that struck me as being slightly too good.

Elf
INCOMPLETE
Ability score adjustments: +2 DEX, +2 CHA, -2 CON
Ancient Learning: Elves gain two ranks for every skill point invested in knowledge, craft and profession skills, and add those skills to their class skills.

Elves are more or less the same as in normal D&D, but I'll give the description anyway. Elves are aloof, old, and knowledgeable. Ever since, and for hundreds of years before, their largest kingdom collapsed on itself, elves have rarely felt the need to take part in or even be aware of what's going on in the world around them. Lacking ambition, most elves remain in isolated communities and live peaceful lives. Those outside of such communities are usually wanderers, often bards, who desire to travel the world.

Now, as for the startling incompleteness, Ancient learning hardly puts Elf on par with Human (as far as I can tell). I need something more. Suggestions are not merely welcome, but practically essential.

Dwarf
Ability score adjustments: +2 CON, +2 WIS, -2 CHA
Dwarven Military Training(replaces weapon familiarity): Dwarves are proficient with all martial axes and hammers, and the Dwarven Urgosh and Waraxe. When taking a feat that can be taken multiple times for different weapons (weapon focus line, improved critical, etc.) a dwarf may instead take the feat and have it apply to all weapons mentioned above (write it down as, for example, "weapon focus: Dwarven Weaponry")
Dwarven Armor Training: Dwarves increase the armor bonus from worn armor by 2 and decrease the Armor Check Penalty by 1 (minimum zero)

Dwarves are at large unchanged in terms of racial identity. When showing this to a friend, he did express concerns about Armor Training being a bit too good, but I don't think so. I'm slightly more worried about how hard these abilities might shoehorn dwarves into certain classes (like, you know, fighters and the like...oh, and clerics).

Orc
Ability score adjustments: +2 STR, +2 CON, -2 CHA, -2 INT
Skill bonuses: +4 Intimidate, +2 survival
Orcish resilience: Orcs gain Endurance and Improved Toughness as bonus feats, even if they do not meet the requirements. In addition, incoming healing effects heal an additional 2 hit points per dice rolled (2 extra for Cure light wounds, 4 for CMW, etc.)
Extra skill points: 4 extra skill points at level one, 1 extra point every level after (exactly like the human)
Furious blows: Orcs gain Power Attack as a bonus feat. Orcs can power attack with light weapons as though they were 1H, with 1H as though they were 2H, and when power attacking with a 2H weapon the bonus damage from power attack is multiplied by 3 instead of 2

Ok, so here's the first major departure from the existing rules. Orcs in this world are strong, tough, stubborn and often rather crass. However, they are also trustworthy, honorable and hardly the savages they are often portrayed as in many fantasy settings. I have taken a fair amount of inspiration from Warcraft and The Elder Scrolls with regard to...more or less everything there is to say about orcs.

I chose to give orcs extra skill points to compensate for the dock to intelligence. Orcs should be somewhat inferior with intellect related functions, but I don't want them to be less skillful because of it.

Goblin
INCOMPLETE
Ability score adjustments: +2 DEX, +2 INT, -2 STR
Small size, 20 ft speed
Skill Bonuses: +4 on all craft skills, +4 Appraise, +2 Bluff, +2 search, +2 Open Lock, +2 Disable Device
Extra Skill Points: As Human/Orc
Tinkerer: Open Lock, Disable Device and all craft skill are class skills. In addition, Goblins may take ranks in Craft(alchemy) without having to be a caster. Finally, Goblins may find traps with a search DC above 20 without trapfinding, but the DC to find the trap is increased by 5.

Here's another one fairly far removed from the classic D&D race. As with Orcs, I based my Goblins on those seen in Warcraft (as well as the Goblins in a friend's setting): they are crafty, smart tinkerers. They are also shrewd, deceptive and keep to their own, rarely if ever taking sides in any conflict, barring potentially lucrative alliances.

Anyway, that's what I'm going for here. Goblins are fundamentally oriented toward a certain degree of skillmonkeying. As with the other incomplete races, however, I think I might need to add something more to it, ideally something that encourages intelligent play.

To be added: halflings, gnomes (maybe), Gargoyles and Minotaurs, possibly others.

Erberor
2015-05-25, 08:55 PM
My ultimate goal here is to have these be monster classes, with all the abilities and benefits spread out over the levels, but for the moment I just want to make sure that the abilities are appropriate for a character who has taken all the levels in them.

Minotaur
Hit Dice 1d8

Lvl
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special

+1
+2
+0
+0

+2
+3
+0
+0

+3
+3
+1
+1

+4
+4
+1
+1

+5
+4
+1
+1

Class Skills: (2+int/level): Balance, Craft (any), Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Nature), Listen, Spot, Survival
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: All simple weapons, light and medium armors

Racial Traits

Ability Score Adjustments: +6 STR, +4 CON, -2 INT, -2 CHA, -2 WIS
Monstrous Humanoid:
Large Size: Minotaurs are large sized, with all the benefits and drawbacks associated with such.
Speed: 40 feet
Darkvision: Minotaurs have 30 ft Darkvision
Natural Weapon: Minotaurs have a gore attack that deals 1d8+1.5xSTR bludgeon damage, double if charging
Natural Armor: Minotaurs have a natural armor bonus equal to 1+HD/4
Strength Shouts Louder than Words: Minotaurs add their CON modifier to intimidate checks
Mighty War Cry: As a standard action, or as part of a full round charge, a minotaur may loose a fearsome cry, forcing all opponents within 30 feet to make a will save (DC 10+HD/2+CON) or be shaken for 3 rounds. Creatures that fail their save by 5 or more are frightened instead. A minotaur may only use Mighty War Cry once every 5 rounds, and a creature that has failed its save against Mighty War Cry cannot be affected by it again for 24 hours.
Rage: As Barbarian. Minotaur and Barbarian levels stack for the purposes of rage-related abilities.

Nothing really that new here. Minotaurs are Minotaurs.

Gargoyle
Hit Dice: 1d8

Lvl
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special

+0
+2
+2
+0

+1
+3
+3
+0

+2
+3
+3
+1

Class Skills: (4+int/Level): Balance, Bluff, Craft, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (dungeoneering), Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Survival, Tumble
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Gargoyles are proficient with all simple weapons and light armor, but no shields.

Racial Traits

Ability Score Adjustments: +4 CON, +2 DEX, -2 CHA
Monstrous Humanoid:
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Darkvision: Gargoyles have 60 ft Darkvision
Natural Weapons: Gargoyles have two claw attacks that deal 1d4+STR slashing+piercing damage
Natural Armor: Gargoyles have a natural armor bonus equal to 1+HD/4
Stone Form: Gargoyles do not sleep. Instead, they must spend time resting by turning to stone. Gargoyles must spend 1 full day (24 hours) in stone form for every 8 spent out of it. However, Gargoyles can remain in stone form longer and then stay active for a longer period of time (see table below). Gargoyles must spend a minimum of 24 hours in stone form, and while in stone form they are incapable of action and are completely unaware of their surroundings, and cannot be "woken up" by any normal means.
Gargoyles gain a +5 bonus on any save to resist being turned to stone involuntarily, and return to normal after 24 hours if they fail their save.

Days in Stone Form
Days Active

8+

Wings: A Gargoyle's wings are far to weak to hold up its tremendous weight, but can slow falls substantially nonetheless. When calculating fall damage, ignore the first 30 feet of fall, and half the remaining distance.
Sentinel: +4 on Spot and Listen Checks. As a Standard Action, or while taking no other actions, a gargoyle can sense vibration in the ground and detect the presence of creatures. Any creature that would not be detected by tremorsense cannot be detected by these means. When this ability is used, make a listen check and consult the table below to determine the effects

Listen Check
Effect

Know direction of largest group of creatures

Know direction of each group an approximate number of creatures (25% error)

Know direction and precise number of each group of creatures

25+
Know location of (listen Check-24) nearest creatures

Not as of yet complete