PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next School of Glyphomancy [PEACH!]

demonickin0
2015-05-28, 10:55 AM
Attempting to make a sort of rune scribe, or glyph caster.

School of Glyphomancy (https://merovia.obsidianportal.com/wikis/school-of-glyphomancy)

Ninja_Prawn
2015-05-28, 11:39 AM
I started reading, but getting my head around the Glyph Scribe feature caused me physical pain. It's far too complicated. I'll have another look later and see if I can come up with anything constructive.

CantigThimble
2015-05-28, 01:42 PM
So this subclass gives you free spell scrolls equal to your int modifier?

Ninja_Prawn
2015-05-28, 02:14 PM
So this subclass gives you free spell scrolls equal to your int modifier?

There's just so much to keep track of... What if a pixie steals my Headband of Intellect? Do I suddenly drop all my scrolls in a puddle?

Edit: Sorry. I promise I will be constructive. I've just got to finish up my sprite homebrew first.

demonickin0
2015-05-28, 02:49 PM
THIS ARCHETYPE JUST WENT UNDER A HUGE OVERHALL. It's ready for PEACH! It's also much more clear.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-05-28, 03:37 PM
Ok, I can tell what you're trying to say now.

First impressions:

So... it doesn't cost a spell slot to create these scrolls. Furthermore, I assume that you don't have to prepare the spell to create the Glyph Scroll. That's an amazing power at level 2, though it tails off once you get more spell slots and your INT tops out.
I would add a clause that says your Glyph Scrolls are unreadable by anyone but you. They must have zero resale value. Also, unused scrolls should disintegrate when you take a long rest.
Transferring a Glyph of Warding as an action is plainly game-breaking. Needing thirty minutes to do so is not.
Spell Trap looks OK balance-wise, but I don't quite see the fluff. Maybe add a sentence about adorning your mage hoodie (http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/190/2/3/runic_raistlin_hoodie___red_robes_by_dsalius-d56l8sn.jpg) with magical glyphs?
Scroll Master. Hm. I didn't realise you couldn't use a scroll-spell in a GoW or Contingency out-of-the-box. I'll have to check that.
Also, I would say that being able to transcribe non-wizard spells might upset other casters in the party, who might see the scroll in a loot pile and assume it was 'theirs'. Obviously, that's a metagame problem, but it might be best to head it off at the source and change the feature to "you can cast any spell scroll without needing an ability check, regardless of class and level restrictions". I know the RAW here is ambiguous, but that phrasing should give the Geometer a little boost over other wizards when dealing with scrolls.

demonickin0
2015-05-28, 03:42 PM
Ok, I can tell what you're trying to say now.

First impressions:

So... it doesn't cost a spell slot to create these scrolls. Furthermore, I assume that you don't have to prepare the spell to create the Glyph Scroll. That's an amazing power at level 2, though it tails off once you get more spell slots and your INT tops out.
Transferring a Glyph of Warding as an action is plainly game-breaking. Needing five minutes to do so is not.
Spell Trap looks OK balance-wise, but I don't quite see the fluff. Maybe add a sentence about adorning your robes with magical glyphs?
Scroll Master. Hm. I didn't realise you couldn't use a scroll-spell in a GoW or Contingency out-of-the-box. I'll have to check that.
Also, I would say that being able to transcribe non-wizard spells might upset other casters in the party, who might see the scroll in a loot pile and assume it was 'theirs'. Obviously, that's a metagame problem, but it might be best to head it off at the source and change the feature to "you can cast any spell scroll without needing an ability check, regardless of class and level restrictions". I know the RAW here is ambiguous, but that phrasing should give the Geometer a little boost over other wizards when dealing with scrolls.

Inscribing doesn't cost a spell slot but activation does.

Trasferring a Glyph is honestly not that bad. You already spent the time to do it, all your doing is putting it somewhere else, also being limited by the amount allows this to be more balanced. I think I will specify it has to be a non-living surface. That way it can't be a tattoo which could indeed be game breaking.

I also removed the transcription of other spells, that was indeed broken.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-05-28, 03:49 PM
Inscribing doesn't cost a spell slot but activation does.

So you can prepare a few spells extra, but can only cast each one a fixed number of times? Actually, that's fine. I could live with that.

Trasferring a Glyph is honestly not that bad. You already spent the time to do it, all your doing is putting it somewhere else, also being limited by the amount allows this to be more balanced. I think I will specify it has to be a non-living surface. That way it can't be a tattoo which could indeed be game breaking.

I strongly disagree here. GoW is powerful for a third-level spell as it is. The only thing keeping it balanced is the fact that it can't be moved. Portable GoW gives you the ability to instantly cast an infinite number of buffs on your barbarian, anywhere. Yes, it needs a lot of prep, but that won't stop some people. But like I said, make it take 30, or even 10 or 5 minutes to move, and the party will quickly get sick of you moving at a snail's pace just because you want to carry a nuclear glyph arsenal around with you. Or make it cost a spell slot to move it. Or a hit die. Or limit the Geometer to one portable glyph.