PDA

View Full Version : Halcyons [Base Class]

Quellian-dyrae
2007-04-22, 01:35 PM
Halcyon

"What is the meaning of this intrusion?" the baron sputtered as the white-robed woman slipped silently into his audience chambers. Outside the now-open doors, two clanging thuds sounded as the guards stationed there collapsed to the ground.

The baron's knights grabbed their weapons, but the stranger only offered them a soft smile, marking, "They are merely asleep." Her voice was smooth and unobtrusive, but something in her look conveyed a wry, almost taunting amusement.

The knights did not sheathe their weapons, looking to their lord for a signal to attack. The baron, in turn, glared at the newcomer. "I ask again: what is the meaning of this intrusion?"

"Hmm," she responded, putting chin to hand for a moment as she thought on the matter. "I suppose this intrusion means that I am now present when I previously wasn't. Myself, though, I find meaning to be readily apparent to those who are paying attention to the matter at hand. I should sooner inquire about cause and effect than something as obvious as meaning."

The baron scowled at the reply, but tried again with, "Why are you here?"

"A better question, although not one that can be easily answered. Indeed, who can know all the many events that might have led me to this point? One would have to examine my entire history, I suspect, and that would be something of a task for even a powerful diviner."

Stepping out from his nook behind the baron's throne, a thin, blue robed man fixed a pointed stare on the woman and marked, "Kindly answer my lord's questions in a more useful manner."

"Kindly save your suggestion spell for someone it has a chance of working on," the woman replied with a sweet smile. "Worry not though, Baron Renaith, I am here to provide you with information, so you shall get your answers. I am here to advise you that a rebellion against your rule is going to occur in two nights. I would suggest you do not oppose it."

"And how would you know of this, hmm? Are you some diviner who likes to speak in riddles?" Renaith challenged. "And what makes you think I will not put down this revolt?"

"You are showing promise," the woman congratulated. "You ask two questions which can both be answered with the same response. To wit: I know of this, and I do not think you will oppose it, because I am the one who is leading the rebellion. I am afraid, Lord Renaith, that your forces are becoming a bit too powerful in relation to the rest of the region. Kindly stand down, and you shall get through this matter with a minimum of annoyance and danger."

"You may like riddles, but you seem to lack the wit for a military campaign," Renaith retorted, nodding to his knights. All four drew their swords, charging the woman. With a soft sigh, she made a broad gesture with her hand, all four suddenly freezing in place, paralyzed.

The wizard worked a spell, hurling a bolt of lightning her way, but with a gentle wave an aura of boiling green energy sprang up around her even as she shifted aside. The bolt grazed past her despite the dodge, but its electrical energy was neutralized by the defensive aura.

The white-robed woman cast the wizard a soft smile, turning to leave, but the mage was not content to let her walk away freely. He chanted his most powerful spell, hurling a slender beam of green light for the stranger's back. It halted an inch from striking her, then simply rebounding on the surprised wizard, catching him in the chest and leaving naught but a pile of dust atop a blue robe.

They are the calm centers amidst the havoc of flying blades and rending spells. Some think they are champions of law and good, for their powers are used to neutralize and pacify the opposition, often without recourse to lethal harm, and to defend their allies from enemy attacks.

But these individuals do not work to spread peace and defend life. They do not seek to bring order. Their powers are strong on the defense not out of a desire to protect, but a desire to ablate, to nullify the powerful extremes that exist in their world. They are points of calm in the wars between good and evil, law and chaos, fire and cold, light and dark. They are the ones who step in when the extremes threaten to unravel the delicate balance. They are the champions of neutrality. They are the halcyons.

Halcyons wield power drawn from within, an internal calm that can engender outward effects. They are able to balance the forces, neutralizing energy of various types, using their internal calm to emulate opposed extremes. Their powers are particularly potent on the defense, but they can be used to incapacitate opponents without recourse to lethal attacks.

Halcyons adventure to promote balance. Often, halcyons are welcomed as a good cleric will be, recognized as bringers of protection and peace. They tend to conceal (or at least play down) the fact that they would just as soon work to foil a mighty paladin as a powerful necromancer. Since direct conflict is not the halcyon’s strongest suit, many work behind the scenes, influencing events with a minimum of direct engagement. For this reason, some halcyons earn a reputation as meddlers and even traitors.

Halcyons must be at least partially neutral, although they can have one non-neutral component to their alignment. Generally, this represents more how the halcyon goes about promoting the cause of neutrality than any dedication to the alignment itself. A neutral good halcyon, for example, might work towards peace and protecting people from imbalances rather than actively working against them, while a neutral evil halcyon might seek the destruction of extremes regardless of cost or circumstance. By far, though, the majority of halcyons are true neutral in outlook.

The calm disposition of a halcyon makes it a natural match with a monk, abjurer, or more defensively-oriented cleric, and halcyons and druids, although they follow rather different philosophies, recognize one another as allies in the service of balance. Fighters and rogues usually welcome halcyons readily enough as additional protection against magic. Barbarians and halcyons rarely see eye to eye, and most paladins will never fully trust someone so dedicated to neutrality.

Alignment: Any neutral.
HD: d8.
SP: 4.
Skills: Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Gather Information, Heal, Knowledge, Perform, Profession, Sense Motive.
Proficiencies: Simple weapons, medium armor, shields.

Halcyon
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Balance Energy

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Balance Life

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Channel Calm I

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Balance the Alignments

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Balance the Forces (Dispel)

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Improved Balance Life

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Channel Calm II

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Aura of Balance

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Balance the Planes

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Balance the Forces (SR)

11th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Greater Balance Life

12th|
+6|
+4|
+4|
+8|Double Balance

13th|
+6|
+4|
+4|
+8|Channel Calm III

14th|
+7|
+4|
+4|
+9|

15th|
+7|
+5|
+5|
+9|Balance the Forces (Turn)

16th|
+8|
+5|
+5|
+10|Reactive Balance

17th|
+8|
+5|
+5|
+10|

18th|
+9|
+6|
+6|
+11|Channel Calm IV

19th|
+9|
+6|
+6|
+11|

20th|
+10|
+6|
+6|
+12|Balance the Forces (Supernatural), Triple Balance[/table]

Balance Energy (Su): One of the first powers a halcyon learns is how to balance various forms of energy with an opposing force. A number of times per day equal to its class level plus its Charisma modifier, the halcyon can summon an aura of balancing energy around a touched target as a standard action. This aura lasts for one minute per class level. The target receives energy resistance equal to 2 per halcyon class level against a chosen type of energy. The halcyon may select from any of the following pairs of energy:

Fire vs. Cold.
Electricity vs. Acid.
Sonic vs. Force.
Positive vs. Negative.
Light vs. Dark.

The halcyon may also balance kinetic energy (creating an aura of opposed kinetic energy around the target), which provides the target DR 1/- per two class levels of the halcyon (minimum 1). A given target may only be under the effect of one balance energy effect at a time.

All attacks made by the target function as attacks composed of the balancing force. For example, if the halcyon balances cold (using fire) then the target’s attacks deal fire damage.

Balance Life (Su): A halcyon is adept at neutralizing the opposition by afflicting it with energy that balances (that is, opposes) its life force (or other animating energy). Starting at second level, it may balance life at will as a standard action. There is no visible display; the halcyon merely gestures at its target and concentrates on assaulting its spirit with opposed energy. Balancing life is a standard action and can affect a target out to medium range. The target is entitled to a Will save (DC 10 + ½ level + Cha modifier) to shrug off the effect in its entirety. If the save fails, the target sustains nonlethal damage equal to 1d6 points per two class levels plus the halcyon’s Charisma modifier. A target who is immune to nonlethal damage sustains lethal damage instead.

Starting at 6th level, if the target of a balance life attempt has a vulnerability to a certain attack form, the balance life effect channels that attack form. For purposes of halcyon abilities that affect vulnerabilities, a creature counts as vulnerable to a force if it: takes additional damage from that force; has damage reduction penetrated by that force (except for DR/magic); has regeneration that fails against that force; has a miscellaneous weakness related to that force (a vampire, for example, would count as vulnerable to light, wood, and water); or takes damage from the force when most other creatures wouldn’t (undead count as vulnerable to positive energy, for example). In this case, the balance life effect deals lethal damage (even to regenerating creatures) and if the target sustains extra damage from the vulnerability, the damage of the effect is so modified. Additionally, a 6th level halcyon can balance multiple foes at once; for each 1d6 less damage inflicted, the halcyon can target an additional opponent. All targets must be within 30’ of each other.

At 11th level the halcyon can attempt to utterly balance a foe’s energy. The halcyon may do so once per day, plus one additional time per day per three levels beyond 11th (so twice at 14th, three times at 17th, and four times at 20th) and can only affect a single target within close range. If the target fails its Will save it must then roll a Fortitude save or die as its life force is snuffed utterly. A success on the Fortitude save results in normal damage from the balance life effect. If the target has a vulnerability it takes a -2 penalty on the Fortitude save.

Channel Calm (Su): A number of times per day equal to its class level plus its Charisma modifier, a halcyon of at least third level can channel its internal calm to pacify a foe. Doing so is a standard action and is effective out to medium range. The target must make a Will save (DC 10 + ½ level + Cha modifier) to resist the effect. A target who fails its saving throw is either dazed or falls asleep (halcyon’s option) for one round, plus one round per three class levels (although a sleeping target can be awakened normally).

At 7th level the halcyon’s calming ability improves. By spending two daily uses of its ability it can affect up to one target per points of its Charisma modifier (all of whom must be within 30’ of each other). It can also add stunning to the list of conditions it can inflict, provided it spends at least two uses.

At 13th level the halcyon can spend three uses to afflict a single target for one minute per class level, or multiple targets for one round per class level. It also adds paralyze to the list of conditions it can inflict, provided it spends at least three uses.

At 18th level the halcyon can spend four daily uses to affect up to one target per class level (all of whom must be within 60’ of each other) for one round per class level. Alternately, it can affect a small group (as per its 7th level ability) for one minute per class level. Alternately, it can affect a single target for one hour per class level.

Balance the Alignments (Su): A 4th level halcyon can balance aligned forces using its balance energy ability. The target gains protection from the chosen alignment (as the spell) and has its attacks aligned to the opposite alignment (for example, a halcyon balancing evil with good would provide protection from evil and align the target’s attacks to good).

Balance the Forces (Su): Starting at 5th level, the halcyon gains the ability to balance the forces. The halcyon can dispel magic (as the spell, only without a cap on the dispel check, caster level equals class level) a number of times per day equal to three plus its Charisma modifier.

Starting at 10th level the halcyon constantly balances enemy magic used against it. The halcyon gains Spell Resistance of 10 plus its class level. The halcyon’s spell resistance does not cost any daily uses of its balance the forces ability, but it loses the benefits whenever it has no daily uses remaining.

Starting at 15th level, any spell that the halcyon balances (either by dispelling or spell resistance) can instead be reflected upon its caster, as if from Spell Turning. Spells that cannot be affected by Spell Turning are not reflected in this manner.

A 20th level halcyon is so skilled at balancing the forces that it can even balance supernatural forces that aren’t strictly magic. The halcyon’s dispelling and spell resistance now function against supernatural abilities. Additionally, the halcyon’s spell resistance works even against spells that don’t allow spell resistance, provided they are either area spells or targeted spells. For example, the halcyon’s spell resistance would work against acid fog, but not against a wall of stone or summoned monster. The halcyon’s spell resistance only works against effects that directly affect the halcyon; it might resist the slowing and damage of an acid fog spell, but it still couldn’t see through the fog.

Aura of Balance (Su): An 8th level halcyon who uses its balance energy ability on itself gives off an aura of countering energy out to a 10’ radius. All allies within the aura receive the benefits of the effect for as long as they remain within the radius. If the ally is already subject to a balance energy effect, it may choose which it benefits from. Any creature that is vulnerable to the countering energy takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, weapon damage rolls, skill checks, and Armor Class for as long as it remains within the aura.

Balance the Planes (Su): A 9th level halcyon can channel energy of an opposed plane to banish outsiders three times per day. Using this ability is a standard action, and it targets a single outsider within medium range. The halcyon rolls a level check against a DC of 11 + the outsider’s HD, with success banishing the outsider back to its home plane. The outsider cannot return for at least a day.

Double Balance (Su): Starting at 12th level, the halcyon can use its balance energy ability to balance two forms of energy on the same target simultaneously.

Reactive Balance (Su): A 16th level halcyon can utilize its balance energy or balance the forces ability as an immediate action by spending two daily uses rather than one.

Triple Balance (Su): A 20th level halcyon can use its balance energy ability to balance three forms of energy simultaneously.
energy simultaneously.