PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Warlock Patron - The Liar

EthanKWolfe
2015-05-29, 03:20 PM
When a friend of mine invited me to play Fifth Edition over this summer, I didn't really know what I'd be getting into. I was a huge 3.5/PF guy back in the day, but it's honestly been years, so I decided not to put up much of a fight. I started looking through the classes, found the Warlock, and almost immediately conceptualized a new patron: The Liar. I mean, what am I supposed to do, use store-bought patrons? Not I!

Anyway, everything's a lie and this guy knows it. Here's his nonsense!

The Liar
Your Patron is a whisper woven into the universe, defying Truth itself. Whether The Liar is a powerful demon or some unfathomable consciousness, you do not know. What you do know is that everything you’ve ever learned or been taught has been a lie - the Great Lie, to be specific. After years of searching and tormenting insanity, you made contact with this deceptive Patron, and They in turn alleviated your misunderstandings. By stripping away the illusion of truth, your Patron granted you an insight into the paradoxical nature of reality, and with this knowledge you intend to spread the Great Lie through deception and magic.

The Liar Expanded Spells
1st: command,dissonant whispers
2nd: alter self, blur
3rd: beacon of hope, nondetection
4th: confusion, phantasmal killer
5th: mislead, modify memory

Liar’s Tongue
Starting at 1st level, your Patron enhances your ability to perpetuate the Great Lie. When making a check to deceive, mislead, or otherwise beguile an individual, you may grant yourself advantage over that individual for as long as you remain in their presence, lasting no longer than five minutes. When the effect ends, the individual has no knowledge of this and justifies the outcome as their own decision.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Liar’s Dodge
Starting at 6th level, your Patron teaches you to manipulate the Great Lie to yield practical, sometimes life-saving results. When a creature makes an attack roll against you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on that roll. If the attack misses you, you may also choose to immediately reappear in an unoccupied space up to 10 feet away.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Liar’s Sight
Starting at 10th level, your Patron grants you the ability to recognize when magical changes are made to the Great Lie. You are immune to being charmed, and you gain advantage when saving against illusions or other forms of magical deception.

Liar’s Gift
Starting at 14th level, you can bestow the revelation of the Great Lie upon the uninitiated. As an action, choose a creature that you can see within 60 feet of you. It must make a Wisdom saving throw against your warlock spell save DC. On a failed save, the creature suddenly understands everything it knows to be a lie, and it is stunned for one round. Once this effect ends, the creature is frightened by you for three rounds. Either effect (though not necessarily both) ends early if the creature takes any damage.

Obviously, in an attempt to keep things balanced I ended up basing these abilities heavily on existing ones. And while I'm still fairly confident in my ability to ad hoc and balance, I'd love some feedback from the people that do it best. Tear it down, build it up, and let me know if anything needs a tweak. Also, hey, use this guy or whatever. I like him, maybe you will too.