PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Fallout New Vegas mods?

Togath
2015-06-04, 10:29 AM
I was thinking of trying it again, since I've been looking for a new game to play. Anyone have mods they'd advise? Ones that add more stuff to explore seem like they'd bee especially fun(or something to help with carrying capacity/remove the carrying capacity limit. Feels a lot lower than limits from TES).
I'm open to anything that you guys find particularly interesting though.

Antonok
2015-06-04, 10:38 AM
For a bit more realism (http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/58624/?) (warning: harder)

Otherwise, there is WAYYY too many to list (http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/?) =P

Calemyr
2015-06-04, 10:53 AM
I was thinking of trying it again, since I've been looking for a new game to play. Anyone have mods they'd advise? Ones that add more stuff to explore seem like they'd bee especially fun(or something to help with carrying capacity/remove the carrying capacity limit. Feels a lot lower than limits from TES).
I'm open to anything that you guys find particularly interesting though.

Going off the top of my head, here, but:

1) Project Nevada - this mod kicks nine kinds of ass. Adds all kinds of features, such as AP-powered sprint and bullet time, dynamic crosshairs (resizes based on your weapon's spread), an overhaul of the implant system (including new implants for cybernetic vision, carry weight improvements, and unarmed damage, and uses set slots rather than endurance), configuration options for statistics (formula for skills, AP, carry weight, new perk gain, etc), visor overlays for vanilla and DLC glasses and helmets (including augmented vision options in some helmets), and the ability to use explosives to open locks. Oh and the stealth boy can be canceled to conserve it's power rather than being a one-time thing. This mod makes the game just so much cooler, it's hard to do it justice. There are also other optional features such as a whole host of equipment and an overhauled food system.

2) Willow - I've tried to find a better companion. I haven't succeeded. Willow just has all the bases covered. Interesting character with a lot to say, lots to do, and well voice acted. The voice may grate on some people, but I personally have little trouble with it.

3) RobCo Certified - Rather perk heavy and perhaps slightly overbalanced, RobCo Certified allows you to build and maintain a small army of robots following various themes (traditional robots, junk bots, and cyborgs). Being able to literally lead a squad of Securitrons or Roboscorpions can be quite fun if you're playing the right Courier.

4) Signature Weapons and Armor - Two mods with the same concept. Trade 10% of your XP gain for the ability to earn upgrade points for a signature item. Can get very overpowered if built right (brass knuckles that outshine Pushy, mercenary outfits that rival reinforced metal), but it means that your favored gear never goes out of style, no matter how early in the game you get it.

5) Real Time Settler - Kind of a niche one. You get to build up a settlement of your own, real time strategy style. Collect scrap, food, and research materials to build facilities, barracks to hold your new citizens, and assign them to tasks. Pretty cool, all told, but very script heavy. Also be careful where you set up, as monsters will attack the settlement if they spawn in the right place.

Togath
2015-06-04, 11:04 AM
I might take a look at the signature item thing...
But the others really don't sound like my kind of thing, especially project nevada, though the explosive lock breaking sounds fun.
The settler thing also doesn't sound like my kinda thing, too rts-y.
I also dislike hard additions, so the project lore thing wouldn't be my thing.

I should probably limit my request to "mods that make the wasteland less empty/fill up more of it/add more locations/more things to explore", since that's really the big thing that I'd be interested in, and something to make carry weight something I don't have to use god-mode to get around it.

Sorry about not being more specific >_<
I did appreciate the recommendations, even if they aren't quite the kinda thing I'm into.

Calemyr
2015-06-04, 11:23 AM
I might take a look at the signature item thing...
But the others really don't sound like my kind of thing, especially project nevada(I dislike "overhaul" mods, especially if I've not played the game, and especially any that add hunger mechanics).
The settler thing also doesn't sound like my kinda thing, too rts-y.
I also dislike "hard" additions, or ones that add "realism", so the project lore thing wouldn't be my thing.

Maybe I should limit my request to "mods that make the wasteland less empty/fill up more of it/add more locations/thing to explore", since that's really the big thing that I'd be interested in, and something to make carry weight something I don't have to use god-mode to get around.

Sorry about not being more specific >_<
I did appreciate the recommendations, even if they aren't quite the kinda thing I'm into.

Project Nevada is pretty modular, you can choose not to install the gear or food bits (I don't, as a rule). Hunger is already part of the game (in hardcore mode), but is optional. Otherwise it just adds in a lot of features that make the gameplay more varied and fun (and by "fun" I mean fun rather than more challenging). The vanilla game is good, but lacks a lot of features that are pretty darn nice. Project Nevada provides them without getting in the way of the story. It's cool if you don't want to use it, but I don't want to sour you to it by misleading you.

What kind of mods are you interested in? Story mods? Gear mods? Interface and Graphics mods? New characters? New gameplay options? New appearance customization options (eyes, teeth, hair, little bits of additional clothing like scarves, backpacks, and jackets)?

Ones to consider for new content: New Vegas Bounties, New Vegas Bounties II, The Inheritance. Or, more accurately, basically anything from the SomeGuy series. This guy created a number of large, well written and interesting mods. The Bounties mods basically give you the chance to sign on as a bounty hunter/contract killer, taking jobs to find and kill very bad people. They're rarely as simple as "go to the place, line up the shot, pull the trigger, get paid". the missions are pretty varied.

Togath
2015-06-04, 11:36 AM
I may take a look at that series.
The main things I'm looking for...
Would probably he the equivalent of extra dungeons/caves/etc in Oblivion or Skyrim, or something like the thieves guild or dark brotherhood quests in Oblivion.

thethird
2015-06-05, 08:45 AM
Obligatory tale of two wastelands (https://taleoftwowastelands.com/) recommendation. I don't think you can add more quality stuff in one mod.

Togath
2015-06-05, 08:46 PM
Ah! Awesome!
I'll definitely take a look(I just bought Fallout 3 last night too~)

Togath
2015-06-09, 03:07 PM
Can Tale of Two Wastelands be used with an existing game? Or would I need to start a new one?

Sharoth
2015-06-09, 03:11 PM
Dotted for later. Thanks for all the recomendations.

Togath
2015-06-09, 03:30 PM
I've also been wondering if there's any mods that would let me have both EDE and Rex at the same time.
None of the human companions really seem that interesting to me so far.

Antonok
2015-06-09, 04:29 PM
I've also been wondering if there's any mods that would let me have both EDE and Rex at the same time.
None of the human companions really seem that interesting to me so far.

Sadly I've not been able to find a mod for it. And the only way I know how to is... complicated (involves manually deleting the scripts that don't allow them to work together).

Triaxx
2015-06-10, 05:24 AM
JIP CC&C, which is short for Jazz is Paris Companion Command and Control, is both an essential mod if you have followers, and has an option to allow unlimited companions. Including both Rex and ED-E I believe.

I'll have to admit, before I tried Project Nevada, I wasn't sure. Now, I can't play without it. Give it a shot before you say no. If you try it and don't like it, fair enough.

A World of Pain, is exactly what it sounds, making the wasteland significantly harder, adding more enemies, and tougher ones. But it also adds a great number of additional areas to explore. More vaults, creative ones, an entire, and exceptionally massive underground area. A bunker full of teleporters to other areas. Plus a handful of very difficult, but fairly rewarding quests. It also adds 4D storage devices, which vastly expand your carrying capacity. I know one Youtuber who's got a cap of 700 right now, just out of Goodsprings.

Warzones still works perfectly well. It adds huge, rolling battles to the wasteland, between NCR and various factions, including the legion and the vipers. It also adds a handful of new, massive areas which are target rich environments, that you can't fail to find enemies to shoot at in.

I recommend RobCo Certified, because it's very well made. It's another try it before you say no kind of mod, because while it doesn't fit every character type, the ones it does fit make it worth it. For example, having a mobile safe that can follow along behind you and carry loot for you. Or having a your own personal Mr. Handy, who's packing a long range incinerator, making him into essentially a piece of mobile artillery.

Or the Highwayman, a 12-14 foot tall robot built from an old car, with three rippers on one arm, and a sawblade on the other. He runs up to Deathclaws and punches them in the face. And you haven't lived until you've seen a pair of Securitrons wipe a Legion assasin team with their missile launchers. (The latest version of RobCo uses the missile launchers from Old World Blues, instead of the awful vanilla one.)

On top of that, RobCo has it's own method of determining the follower robot count, which is separate from the vanilla system.

I also recommend Electro-city. It adds lights to the world, and also engineers maintaining them, which adds atmosphere, and further lessens the feeling of a completely barren waste.

Instead of Willow, I recommend Delilah Wasteland MD. She's a doctor in training from Goodsprings, who'll help you, in return for taking her to the various doctors in the wastes to learn. And as she learns, she gains the ability to heal you in various ways, from healing radiation to repairing your bones. Plus her dog is way cuter than Willow's.

thethird
2015-06-10, 02:34 PM
Can Tale of Two Wastelands be used with an existing game? Or would I need to start a new one?

You would need to start a new game, it starts with fallout 3.

Calemyr
2015-06-10, 05:10 PM
Or the Highwayman, a 12-14 foot tall robot built from an old car, with three rippers on one arm, and a sawblade on the other. He runs up to Deathclaws and punches them in the face. And you haven't lived until you've seen a pair of Securitrons wipe a Legion assasin team with their missile launchers. (The latest version of RobCo uses the missile launchers from Old World Blues, instead of the awful vanilla one.)

Instead of Willow, I recommend Delilah Wasteland MD. She's a doctor in training from Goodsprings, who'll help you, in return for taking her to the various doctors in the wastes to learn. And as she learns, she gains the ability to heal you in various ways, from healing radiation to repairing your bones. Plus her dog is way cuter than Willow's.

The Highwayman is only in the beta version, isn't it? How stable have you found that version?

Delilah is certainly not bad, I just didn't find her as interesting. Honestly they both have their pros and cons. Willow is a bit more interesting of a character, with some pretty nifty features, but some people can't stand her voice. Delilah manages to be very pleasant and useful, but not very interesting (ties to ol' Sulik not withstanding). She's not boring, per se - she's a fine companion - but she just never stands out if you follow me. Also of note: Willow has a romantic angle to her while Delilah's voice acting and use of the Alice body make her come off as quite young and create more of a parent/child dynamic to my experience (felt kinda like The Last of Us when bringing her along). So which one you use colors the game a bit: is your partner your equal or your heir? Of course, you could take both and play as something like a family.

Obligatory tale of two wastelands (https://taleoftwowastelands.com/) recommendation. I don't think you can add more quality stuff in one mod.

Blast it, man! Now I have to go dust off my copy of FO3 again...

Balmas
2015-06-10, 05:11 PM
1) Project Nevada - this mod kicks nine kinds of ass. Adds all kinds of features, such as AP-powered sprint and bullet time, dynamic crosshairs (resizes based on your weapon's spread), an overhaul of the implant system (including new implants for cybernetic vision, carry weight improvements, and unarmed damage, and uses set slots rather than endurance), configuration options for statistics (formula for skills, AP, carry weight, new perk gain, etc), visor overlays for vanilla and DLC glasses and helmets (including augmented vision options in some helmets), and the ability to use explosives to open locks. Oh and the stealth boy can be canceled to conserve it's power rather than being a one-time thing. This mod makes the game just so much cooler, it's hard to do it justice. There are also other optional features such as a whole host of equipment and an overhauled food system.

Gonna have to chip in and second (third? fourth?) this. I literally cannot play this game without the mod. Even if you don't like some parts, it's all modular. You can turn parts of it on, off, sideways, upside down, all without leaving the game. And it has presets, too, so if you just want a vanilla game with sprint button, and maybe some extra vision modes, you can get that with two button presses.

2) Willow - I've tried to find a better companion. I haven't succeeded. Willow just has all the bases covered. Interesting character with a lot to say, lots to do, and well voice acted. The voice may grate on some people, but I personally have little trouble with it.

I'd also recommend Russell, who's part of the Someguy Series. Excellent companion with fun lines, commentary on what's going on, and interaction between companions.

I may take a look at that series.
The main things I'm looking for...
Would probably he the equivalent of extra dungeons/caves/etc in Oblivion or Skyrim, or something like the thieves guild or dark brotherhood quests in Oblivion.

Someguy Series adds many new worldspaces as part of New Vegas Bounties.

A World Of Pain adds an extensive series of dungeons, caves, etc, that have enemies that are significantly tougher. I wouldn't recommend this for a lower-end PC, as I understand it can lead to framerate issues.

New Vegas Interiors adds many new world-spaces--inside garages, stores, little nooks and crannies tucked around the wasteland.

Unfortunately, it requires a new game. Essentially, what it does is take Fallout 3 and run it in the New Vegas system.

It's actually my favorite way to play F3, as New Vegas already includes many of the things that you need to mod into the vanilla F3 game, like ironsights and an essential needs system.

Let's see, what hasn't been mentioned yet...

Weapon Mods Expanded: Most vanilla weapons only have one or two weapon modifications. This adds in models for new weapons mods for pretty much every weapon. One of my must-have mods.

More Perks: This set of perks is good and bad, all at the same time. That's mainly because the perks inside vary in power. One perk might make it so that you never have to deal with crippled limbs again or worry about stimpaks, because you're a hideous mutant that regenerates. Others might drop you off in the desert with no pants, or summon radroaches under your feet in the morning. Very much a mixed bag.

CASM: Another must-have. This is a save manager that makes it so that if the game crashes, you don't lose an hour's work since that's when you last saved.

Utility mods, like Bottle That Water, Missing Ammo Recipes, Delay DLC

OneHUD

DarnifiedUI

Togath
2015-06-10, 06:23 PM
You would need to start a new game, it starts with fallout 3.

Darn.
One more thing... Is there anything I can do to reduce infinite loading screens? I keep getting stuck on them.

Togath
2015-06-10, 06:43 PM
And now the nvse loader has stopped working...
Any ideas?

Antonok
2015-06-10, 06:48 PM
One more thing... Is there anything I can do to reduce infinite loading screens? I keep getting stuck on them.

Common problem for FO:NV. A few options(from best to worst) to try are:

1) If on steam, validate the game cache.
2) Use Load Game instead of Continue.
3) You can try this mod (http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/53635/?tab=1).
4)Start a new game, load your previous save, save to a new file, then delete all the old save files.

New Vegas, while a good game, is horridly buggy on PC.

Edit: And you might try to disable autosave. That thing is just evil and will occasionally corrupt your saves.

Triaxx
2015-06-12, 06:21 AM
Infinite loading screens are a big problem due to the way F:NV remembers things. And it's worse with AWoP due to sheer density of stuff crammed in.

I suggest not playing for more than an hour or so without saving and restarting. And when you do save, open the console and use the 'pcb' command, then wait about thirty seconds and save, then exit the game completely. (I restart my system just to be safe.)

NVAC: New Vegas Anti Crash seems to help a fair bit as well.

Togath
2015-06-12, 09:59 AM
Removing a kinda buggy mod that altered freeside seems to have removed all but one infinite loading screen glitch(at the door to the old mormon fort. Thankfully, I can bypass it with fast travel)
I am trying to figure out if a thing in the gomorrah is mod related or not... It seems like whenever I sneak, everyone goes hostile. Everyone. Especially if I take down any of the omerto.

thethird
2015-06-12, 01:27 PM
This mod (http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55061/?) also helped me with loading stuff.