PDA

View Full Version : A sudden idea just crossed my mind (per Encounter magic)

ngilop
2015-06-04, 08:14 PM
Hey everybody.

So I was looking at some 3rd party books and with Arcanan Evolved in regards o the oathswon and Ritual warrior ( the proto Martial maneuvers) Got me to thinking...

Maybe I can do spells like that, something like a cross between A Warlock, a ToB class, and a wizard/cleric

Ya know something like you know 16 or so 'spell's and can use each once an encounter.

Would this even be viable or would just being a warlock be better

and by better I mean easier to do than to create a whole new magical system?

I was thinking of some examples like Light healing: heals 1d8 hit points worth of damage, plus an additional 1d8 for every 4th level. Special: this may be cast as a swift action once a round, all subsequent castings are a standard action as normal.

I know healing is subpar and being able to heal 6d8 twice a round is not that good, but Im thinking hey if you cast it once a round at 20th level that's a swift action then you can use your standard to cast a big spell..?

Xerlith
2015-06-05, 03:13 AM
Start here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/rechargeMagic.htm) and work from there. I played with the idea a bit at a time and figured the best bet would be reworking the currently existing classes in a following way:

There are three "variants" of what happens to the spells after they're cast.

1. Fire and forget, where the spellcasting works just as written.
2. Encounterly magic, where the slot regenerates after an encounter
3. At-will magic, where the spells are always available.

The basics were that 0th level spells are at-will, 1st per encounter. The highest level magic and high-utility spells (see the list in Recharge Magic - generally those are the ones with a specific recharge time) were expended as normal. The /encounter spells regenerated after, well, an encounter OR when their duration ended, whichever was longer.

Level-wise it went like that:

Highest level and high-utility spells: Daily
Second-highest level: Encounter
LEvel equal to 1/4 character level: at will.