PDA

View Full Version : Martial Artist (New and Improved) PEACH

Falconsflight
2007-04-25, 09:02 AM
This is my first Attempt at making a class. So be nice… please.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Martial Artist

A small, wiry man was walking through a path when the bandits descended on him. The four human bandits had already drawn their weapons. While two of them carried long swords, the third one carried a rapier and the last carried a crossbow. The small man stopped and looked at them each.

“Your money or your life.” Said the bandit with the rapier, He pointed it at the unarmed man. The man didn’t reply.

After a few moments one of the bandits with the long sword came forward to smack the man with the blunt end of his blade. He said “Hey, didn’t you hea-“ He didn’t finish that sentence, because at that moment the small man’s hands grabbed onto his and wrenched the long sword from it and spun around stabbing it into the bandits stomach. He left it in there and gave the man a kick, knocking him to the ground. The second man with the long sword charged at the man, he stepped aside and stuck his foot out. As the man stumbled on his foot, the man struck him in the back, making him land sprawling to the ground behind him. The Monk then moved in on the man with the rapier, dodging the arrows fired at him. The rapier hit him, but it wasn’t more than a flesh wound and then he quickly hit the bandit with several blows of his fists and then a quick kick knocked him to the ground. The man with the crossbow was shaking. This small wiry man just knocked out or killed his three friends and allies. The man punched the crossbow-wielding bandit, but the bandit brought his crossbow to bear to block the shot. The crossbow broke into splinters. The bandit dropped to his knees and begged for mercy. The man struck him across the neck, paralyzing him. “You’ll be back on your feet after I leave. Collect your friends and find something better to do with your lives.” The man spoke to the paralyzed bandit. Then he started walking again.

A Martial Artist is a person who learns from a local master. Some even pick up a lot of pointers from fistfights in the streets. These men tend to end up as boxers and ruffians. They have no need for weapons and prefer to use their hands. Sometimes they can’t wield a weapon due to injury, or they wish to go to places that weapons aren’t allowed, or they just don’t like the idea of killing people and prefer their fists as a way to beat them into submission rather than slice them up.

HD: D10
Abilities: Dexterity and Wisdom affect the Monk’s AC and work well with the lead skills and abilities. Strength is useful for damage output.
Alignment: Due to the intense training schedule and the need for adherence to it, Martial Artists are Lawful
Starting Gold: As Monk
Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Search, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope, Use Magic Device
Skills points: (4+Int Modifier)

Martial Artist
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Unarmed Damage|AC Bonus|Flurry of Blows

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+2|Improved Unarmed Strike; Improved Disarm; Flurry of Blows|
1d4|
+0|
-1/-1

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+3|Improved Trip; Uncanny Dodge|
1d6|
+0|
+0/+0

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+3|Backflip; Evasion|
1d6|
+0|
+1/+1

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+4|Cunning Attacks; Pressure Points (+1d6; Wind Pipe)|
1d6|
+0|
+2/+2

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+4||
1d6|
+1|
+4/+4

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+5|
+5|Sidestep|
1d6|
+1|
+5/+5/+0

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+5|
+5|Improved Uncanny Dodge|
1d6|
+1|
+6/+6/+1

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+6|
+6||
1d8|
+1|
+7/+7/+2

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+6|
+6|Improvised weapons; Greater Disarm; Pressure Points (+2d6)|
1d8|
+1|
+9/+9/+4

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+7|
+7|Dragon Punch|
1d8|
+2|
+10/+10/+5

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+3|
+7|
+7||
1d8|
+2|
+11/+11/+6/+1

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+4|
+8|
+8|Improved Evasion|
1d8|
+2|
+12/+12/+7/+2

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+4|
+8|
+8|Adamantine Fist|
1d8|
+2|
+13/+13/+13/+8/+3

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+4|
+9|
+9|Pressure Points (+3d6)|
1d8|
+2|
+14/+14/+14/+9/+4

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+5|
+9|
+9|Turning the Tables|
1d8|
+3|
+15/+15/+15/+10/+5

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+10|
+10||
1d10|
+3|
+16/+16/+16/+11/+6/+1

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10|Combat Mastery|
1d10|
+3|
+17/+17/+17/+12/+7/+2

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+11||
1d10|
+3|
+18/+18/+18/+13/+8/+3

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11|Pressure points (+4d6; Paralyzing touch)|
1d10|
+3|
+19/+19/+19/+14/+9/+4

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+12|Disarm Mastery |
2d6|
+4|
+20/+20/+20/+20/+15/+10/+5[/table]

Weapon Proficiency: A martial Artist is proficient with all Monk weapons.

AC bonus: Due to training, Martial Artists are highly adept at dodging blows and even have a sixth sense that lets him avoid even unanticipated attacks. When unarmored and unencumbered, A Martial Artist gains a bonus to AC equal to his Wisdom modifier and an additional AC bonus as per the table.

Improved unarmed strike: A Martial Artist is very adept at using his body as a weapon. At 1st level a Martial Artist gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A Martial Artists attacks may be with fists, elbows, knees and feet. This means that a Martial Artist can even make an unarmed attack when his hands are full. A Martial Artist may apply his full strength bonus to all unarmed attacks. A Martial Artists attacks may deal Non-lethal damage with no penalty to attack roll. Martial artists also deal more damage with their fists than a normal person. Refer to the Table.

Flurry of Blows: As monk; except where stated on the table. This ability replaces any two weapon fighting feats.

Improved Disarm: Due to great practice, at 1st level, a Martial Artist no longer provokes an attack of opportunity when disarming an opponent and gains a +4 bonus to disarm attempts. When making the attack roll, he may use his Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier. He does not need to meet the prerequisites.

Improved Trip: At 2nd Level, a Martial Artist gains the use of the Improved Trip Feat. He does not need to meet the prerequisites.

Uncanny Dodge: At 2nd level, a Martial Artist can react to danger before his sense would normally allow him to. He retains his dexterity bonus to AC even when caught flat-footed. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus when immobilized.
If a Martial Artist already has Uncanny Dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved Uncanny Dodge.

Evasion: At 3rd Level or higher a Martial Artist can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can only be used if the Martial Artist is wearing light or no armor. A helpless Martial Artist cannot use this ability.

Backflip: At 3rd level, a Martial Artist is agile even when prone. When a Martial artist is pone he only loses half his dexterity bonus. In addition, he can get up from prone without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Cunning Attack: At 4th level, A Martial Artist may add his Wisdom modifier instead of his strength modifier to his unarmed strike damage.

Pressure Points: A Martial Artist has, through training, learned where the pressure points on the human body is and knows how to hit them to cause pain and some other problems. At 4th level and every 5 levels thereafter, a Martial Artist gains an additional +1d6 to any attacks when the opponent is flatfooted or flanked. This ability can only be used on a humanoid creature. He may only use this ability when he is unarmed.
Wind Pipe: A Martial artist, while using the pressure points ability; he may forgo 1d6 damage and cause a person to become mute for a certain amount of rounds. The opponent can perform a Fortitude save to prevent this with a DC equal to 10+half the Martial Artist’s level. If the opponent fails his save he is mute for 1d10 rounds. A Martial Artist can remove this ability at any time.
Paralyzing touch: While using the pressure point ability, A Martial Artist can forgo +4d6 damage and instead cause an opponent to become paralyzed. The opponent must perform a Fortitude save with a DC equal to 10+half the Martial Artist’s level. This lasts for 1d6 rounds. A Martial Artist can remove this at any time.

Greater Trip: At 5th level, Martial Artists have become very adept at tripping his opponents. He may use his dexterity modifier instead of his strength modifier when tripping an opponent. When attempting a trip unarmed, the opponent cannot attempt to trip you in return.

Sidestep: At 6th level, a Martial Artist has become swift enough to avoid even fast moving opponents. When an opponent charges a Martial Artist, he can perform a trip attempt that uses up one of his attack of opportunities this round. If successful, the charging opponent’s attack automatically misses and he ends up prone in the square behind the Martial artist. If the trip attempt fails, then the charge is completed as normal.

Improved Uncanny Dodge: At 7th level and higher, A Martial Artist can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the Martial Artist by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least 4 more rogue levels than the target has Martial Artist Levels.
If you have already gained Improved Uncanny dodge (As above) Then the two classes stack to determine the minimum level the rogue must be to flank the character.

Greater Disarm: At 9th level, upon disarming the opponent, A Martial Artist gains the weapon and can perform a strike to the opponent. The opponent is considered flat-footed for the attack. He does not take the –4 non-proficiency penalty for this attack only. He now adds his Wisdom modifier, in addition to his dexterity, to disarm attempts. A Martial Artist must be unarmed to use this ability.

Improvised Weapons: At 9th level, A Martial Artist can use common items as weapons. (I don’t have Complete Warrior, so I don’t know how the ability works exactly to appropriately reproduce. So it’s like Drunken Master’s ability)

Dragon Punch: At level 10, a Martial Artist has gained the ability to strike precisely and effectively multiple times per day. As part of an attack action, A Martial artist can add double his wisdom modifier to any amount of attacks equal to 1 per day per half the Martial artists level. He must be unarmed to perform this ability.
For example: A level 10 Martial Artist with 18 in wisdom would gain +8 to any 5 attacks everyday.

Improved Evasion: At 12th level, A Martial Artist’s evasion ability improves. From this level on, a Martial artist only takes half damage on a failed reflex save. A helpless Martial Artist does not benefit from this ability.

Adamantine Fist: At 13th level, A Martial Artist has used his fists so much and they have become so hardened they are treated as Adamantine.

Turning the Tables: At 15th level, A Martial Artist can now disarm someone while they are attacking him. With any single attack against him, as an attack of opportunity, he can roll a touch attack against the opponent and then attempt to disarm him. The opponent gains an attack of opportunity with his off hand when he is not wielding a two handed weapon. (An opponent wielding a two handed weapon can forgo his +4 bonus to attempt an attack.) If the attack of opportunity deals damage, A Martial Artist loses the disarm attempt. (The attack is stopped, but the opponent retains his weapon). Every time you use this ability against a single opponent, he gains a successive +2 bonus to AC against the touch attack. You cannot attempt this if you cannot perform an attack of opportunity. The opponent retains all other attacks for this turn, whether you were successful or not. You may only use this ability once per round. You may only perform this ability when unarmed

Disarm Mastery: At 17th level, As a full round action, A Martial Artist can disarm an opponent of all the weapons he wields then perform a full attack upon that opponent with one of the weapons he just disarmed. If he is not proficient with the weapon, he takes a –4 penalty to each attack. He must be unarmed to use this ability

Notes:
Well, This is my first class. It's supposed to be a replacement or a different version of the monk class. This is taken from a bunch of Kung fu movies.

- Turn the tables: I realize it's confusing.(At least I think it is) I'm wondering if someone out there can write it out better or something.

Too many abilites? too little? Overpowered(I doubt it) Underpowered? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Any comments or help would be wonderful.

jindra34
2007-04-25, 09:33 AM
Why are you trying to rebuild the Monk?

Falconsflight
2007-04-25, 09:37 AM
It's a Variant to the monk
The monk in the book is the "We live in a monastary and are trying to achieve enlightenment" Monks. They gain abilities based on that fact. This is more just a guy who learns Judo or Whatever and uses it for self defence. A Monastary monk need seclusion and has a mind that is "I'm trying to acheive enlightnement. Martial arts is only a way to keep the body in tune with the mind."
While the Martial Artist is more "I learned how to fight with my hands because then I don't have to lug around weapons and I like the idea of beating people up." These can be thugs, or whatever. They don't have to be in tune with the world.

Akennedy
2007-04-25, 09:37 AM
All disarming abilities shoudl include tripping as well. Martial artists are adept at putting their oppentents at a disadvantage, for opponents without weapons as well.
Otherwise, I like it, However, what abouts AC? little low?

Falconsflight
2007-04-25, 09:43 AM
It's like the monk's. Wisdom + Dex.

Hmmm. I'm just not sure what else I can put in with tripping. Most of the disarming ones seem strong enough without adding "He gets tripped" at the end. He does have Improved Trip though.

mabriss lethe
2007-04-25, 03:51 PM
It's like the monk's. Wisdom + Dex.

Monks also get a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level and it increases by one point every fifth level thereafter.

Falconsflight
2007-04-25, 03:56 PM
Yeah. I didn't add that part. Think I should? Would the AC be to low without it?

mabriss lethe
2007-04-25, 04:12 PM
I would. after playtest if it seemed like too much, I'd either scale it back or replace it with some other comparable ability like a minor DR or something

Falconsflight
2007-04-25, 06:55 PM
I have made some more adjustments. Now he's a little bit more versatile combatant.

Akennedy
2007-04-26, 07:42 AM
The reason I say you should include tripping with disarming is because few enemies actually have weapons (Meaning longswords, greataxe, the like). It would expand the things he can fight and be useful against. Atm, his power is limited to only enemies with a weapon of sorts. Now, don't get me wrong, slight of hand to steal the local guards weapon is plenty useful, because he is rendered useless. When you fight a iron golem, for instance, you can't disarm his fists.

Caelestion
2007-04-26, 09:32 AM
ALL weapons? He's proficient with simple, martial and exotic weapons, as well as improvised items and improved unarmed strike... I know the fighter and the monk are both underpowered, but really, all weapons ever designed is not the way to go.

Falconsflight
2007-04-26, 04:20 PM
Well, I have given him some better abilities. But I don't think their enough really. I think some of these would be better off as feats than as part of an ability. Make disarm more prominenent and stuff.

@Caelestion: Yeah, he's proficent with them all. But then, he can't carry or own any of those weapons.

brian c
2007-04-26, 07:19 PM
For Cunning Attack, do you add Wisdom to your attack roll or damage roll? If you mean attack, then there's already a feat for that, Intuitive Strike in BoED. Might as well make it another "bonus feat, doesn't need to meet prereqs" thing.

Overall... this is okay, but I still would rather play a standard Monk or unarmed variant Swordsage instead. If you gave it a good fort save too (ie, all good saves like the monk) it would be a little better but still not overpowered in any way.

Malik
2007-04-27, 06:53 AM
I like your class but i dissagree with the following embolden statement

T
Though they can become adventurers their abilities are better aimed at humanoid creatures and when facing an unarmed opponent they are at a disadvantage.

Most martial artists train to fight hand to hand more than weapons.

Caelestion
2007-04-27, 12:28 PM
@Caelestion: Yeah, he's proficent with them all. But then, he can't carry or own any of those weapons.
So he is proficient to all weapons known to the Gods (in defiance of all established precedents), yet he's not allowed to use or carry any of them. Logic, let me introduce you to this window...

Falconsflight
2007-04-27, 01:20 PM
Why would he carry a greatsword when he believes his fists are stronger? heck, why carry a greatsword, when that neat fighter you are fighting has one himself?

If you need something to compare it to. Think of a Jedi who could use a blaster with more effeciancy than any soldier. But refuses to use them because he feels his lightsaber is more appropriate. Same thing here. Just because he can use any weapon, doens't mean he would want to.

jindra34
2007-04-27, 01:34 PM
Why would he carry a greatsword when he believes his fists are stronger? heck, why carry a greatsword, when that neat fighter you are fighting has one himself?

If you need something to compare it to. Think of a Jedi who could use a blaster with more effeciancy than any soldier. But refuses to use them because he feels his lightsaber is more appropriate. Same thing here. Just because he can use any weapon, doens't mean he would want to.

Caelestion is right Falcon, besides the rule (which has no bite), there is no logical reason for a Martial Artist to not carry a weapon...

Falconsflight
2007-04-28, 08:49 PM
Yeah, I know. I'm still working on it. This whole class needs a "bit" of reworking anyway. I was just supporting my original idea for it.

And Here it is. All new and fixed.
Hopefully it's better this time around.

Caelestion
2007-04-29, 07:53 AM
Presumably with seven attacks at 20th-level with no off-hand damage penalty, you are forbidding them from taking the Two-Weapon Fighting tree?

Falconsflight
2007-04-30, 09:42 PM
There, I fixed it. Are there any other suggestions?

TheThan
2007-04-30, 10:21 PM
I’d replace all those abilities with feat trees, sort of like the ranger (only better… sheese). Give them distinct styles of martial arts the player has to choose from. Here’s an example style:

Pouncing Tiger school

Combat expertise
Dodge
Mobility
Spring attack
Flying kick*
Whirlwind attack
Roundabout kick*

* complete warrior feats
That's just an example of course. But I'm sure it would be quite cool to see a martial artist actually have abilities that represent the martial art he uses.