PDA

View Full Version : Tartarus (Kaio's Lair)

Nevrmore
2007-04-25, 08:48 PM
There is no entrance and thus no exit. It is completely sealed off from the worlds, the only forseeable way in being some sort of planar magic, though why anyone would want to visit this hell is a mystery.

A few torches line the stone walls, spilling small pools of light around the room. It appears to be large and completely rectangular. There are shelves along the walls with various chemicals and tools, and large objects littering the floors. These objects, upon closer inspection, range from bones to entire bodies. Shackles and chains line the walls where similar bodies in various states of decay hang lifelessly by their arms.

In the very center of the room, a large altar holds a neatly-preserved corpse, its arms folded in quiet dignity. Underneath its sleeping form are various runes of indeterminate origin, ready to activate their powers.

A small groan echoes through the room.

NecroPaladin
2007-04-25, 08:48 PM
((So THIS was what you needed the embalming fluid for...))

Timberwolf
2007-04-25, 08:50 PM
((What, to get his mind in the correct state to produce it ?))

Nevrmore
2007-04-25, 08:50 PM
((Quite right, my good man.

If you couldn't guess, the strange man who bought the fluid is named Kaio. Kaio Fyta.))

Goblin Music
2007-04-25, 08:51 PM
((wow this is cool))

Nevrmore
2007-04-25, 09:05 PM
A distinctive black hand with fingers almost disgustingly long emerges from the ground, pulling Kaio's unique form up as well. As his entire body enters his sanctum, he glides over to the corpse on the altar. The strange wraith pulls the pins from its chest and opens its skin flaps, using his recently purchased embalming fluid on the body's innards.

"Soon, you will be ready..." He says lowly, replacing the skin flaps to their original position.

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-25, 09:17 PM
((Both allowing you to post and commenting: Nice job with the creepy. Thumbs up.))

Nevrmore
2007-04-25, 09:21 PM
((I try. Crucius is mean and cruel, Kaio is creepy and off-putting. ))

Kaio, his work done, folds his arms over his chest in an X-shape. Shadows creep from the ground and wrap around him quickly before dispersing, the strange figure gone along with them.

The low groan continues.

NecroPaladin
2007-04-26, 09:43 PM
Revenant emerges from the shadows. Although still quite angry, the fight has literally been beaten out of him. Black tears streak down his face as he growls at Kiao.

"Damn it to hell...do you have any idea what you've done?"

Nevrmore
2007-04-26, 09:48 PM
"I have come into what I hope to be an interesting new subject, I believe." Kaio responds as he emerges from the ground.

NecroPaladin
2007-04-26, 09:58 PM
Revenant is about to plead for release to return to Iris, but suddenly realizes what he's left her with. He goes silent, and the tears return anew.

"I care no longer. Do what you will, I have died already."

Nevrmore
2007-04-26, 10:00 PM
"That is what I enjoy in a subject; Little resistance." Kaio lifts a hand. Suddenly, a torch lights in the very back of the room, where a second altar is sitting. If Revenant were paying attention, he would realize that this extension of the area had definitely not been there before. "Lay on the altar."

NecroPaladin
2007-04-26, 10:02 PM
He hesitates, and eventually decides to comply, realizing that death is the only way out.

"You will find nothing but loss anymore."

His body goes, quite literally, lifeless on the altar. Only a small spark of energy remains, deep within his chest.

Nevrmore
2007-04-26, 10:05 PM
Kaio doesn't seem to mind. If Revenant truly re-died, he can always bring him back to unlife again.

He begins to experiment...

((And this is where I retire for the night. G'night.))

NecroPaladin
2007-04-26, 10:06 PM
((Revenant's just pretty much let himself die to avoid everything that's been happening. Right now "Revenant" is just that one little spark, and it's lost far too much to even try to emerge in the near future.

And G'night, I suppose. Just assume Revenant is like a rag doll during this entire process.))

NecroPaladin
2007-04-27, 06:08 PM
((Aight, back for about 40 minutes before I'm gone for the rest of the night. Figured the double-post is warranted because this is actually plot-related. See, sorry if this is gonna be painful for Kiao but I just had the most awesome idea for Revenant, and can't let Kiao just do away with him.))

What could be an eternity later, the spark inside Revenant stirs.

Iris.

Iris...

I've left you all alone out there.

And for what? For this? I'm powerless...I've nothing but my emotions...

...But perhaps those will suffice. I have my duty.

I have you.

Revenant's eyelids flutter open. The spark in his chest begins to multiply, causing a candle-like aura to slowly spread about him.

"Iris. That was the one variable that you should have accounted for. The one factor that the likes of you will never understand."

A beam of rose-colored light shoots up from his palm, a manifestation of his very heart and soul; all of his love and hate.

"The one thing that none can end."

He brings his hand upward to Kiao, attempting to send the beam through him.

Nevrmore
2007-04-27, 06:14 PM
Five different bodies are skewered on the beam, none of them Kaio's. They were all different species and genders, but one thing remained constant; They were all undead.

"I see that my experimentation was a success." Kaio nods lightly.

NecroPaladin
2007-04-27, 06:23 PM
((So you had the same idea of Kaio improving Revenant?))

"You left her to die. She had one left to protect her, and you took him away."

As various glowing plates of armor begin to form around Revenant, the beam solidifies into a thin, rose-colored sword. At both the tip and hilt are glowing metal hearts.

On one side of the blade, written down to the haft, letter over letter, is "A MORTIS AMORE IRISA."

"I'll tear you like cloth, creature of shadows," he yells as he advances.

On the other side are two inscriptions, lengthwise. The first is the name of the blade: "GEISTERHART, EINHANDER"

As he draws himself over Kaio and raises the sword, he grimaces angrily, "For it is nigh impossible for me to feel more for her than I do-"

Across from the blade's, another name is inscribed: "REVENANTE DE RICCIOLINO"

"-now..."

Revenant's eyes widen, and he realizes that he is standing, threatening the end of a creature that he once thought infeasable to kill, armed with a blade drawn from his own soul.

"Is this...your doing?"

Nevrmore
2007-04-27, 06:26 PM
((Great minds and all that jazz.))

Kaio looks over Revenant's form with an examining eye, "I must admit, the sword is quite gaudy, but all in all my work has been paid back in spades." He says, nodding approvingly.

NecroPaladin
2007-04-27, 06:31 PM
((Got 10 minutes now...))

Revenant notices something peculiar...

His heart is beating. He clutches at his chest with his open hand.

"Guh...but...but why? Why do this to me, when I didn't want...when..."

His sockets glow red. He lifts the blade again, and it bursts into spectral flame.

"Iris. You've done your work, now tell me if she's alive."

He levels the sword at Kaio's head.

"Because should your 'variable' be gone, monster, it will not stop your own improvements from running you through."

Nevrmore
2007-04-27, 06:32 PM
"How should I know?" Kaio replies, not the least bit worried about Revenan's threats, "I told both of you multiple times that I am not interested in her."

NecroPaladin
2007-04-27, 06:37 PM
"Then now that you've done your work, take me back."

He touches the tip of the blade to Kiao's helm.

"As much as I'd like to be polite,"

He says, as the final piece of armor, a helmet of apparent greek descent ((:smallbiggrin: )), latches on,

"This is not a request. It is an order."

How could a heart so cold do this much for my own?

((I figure that even though he's leaving (or attempting to) now, he's not gonna show up in the real world until it would be dramatic enough.

Oop, and deadtime for the rest of the night, almost.))

Nevrmore
2007-04-27, 06:39 PM
Kaio is unimpressed.

"Your threats are more moot than you know, my dear ghoul."

NecroPaladin
2007-04-27, 06:41 PM
((Oh, what's one more post.))

"You've seen enough of me by now..."

He grins knaveishly, despite the circumstance,

"To know that I don't care in the least. Now, if you would please, get me out of here."
His eyes narrow.

"As cliche as it sounds, I've got a damsel in distress on my hands."

Nevrmore
2007-04-27, 06:44 PM
"You are far from being done, and I am utterly unafraid of your capabilities, especially here and now." The five other undead who had been lying in a pile, holes punched in their bodies, stand up and go to stand in a line behind the wraith.

NecroPaladin
2007-04-28, 12:34 AM
"I don't need to tell you again, I don't care. I'm happy where I am. Any further and I'll end up like them."

He keeps himself in a readied stance, weapon drawn.

"What drives you to such depths of 'research?' What do you have to gain from tearing apart my body?"

He grins.

"Do be aware that I face you holding a very valuable research asset hostage."

He grins further.

"Me."

((I think I've found Revenant's saving point here; Kaio's entire interest in him is based on Revenant's emotions and soul; not his frail form. And you can only force the body back to life.

And do be aware that this is gonna be a looooooooong stalemate if Kiao is unhurtable and Revenant utterly unwilling to be here one more second.))

Nevrmore
2007-04-28, 12:06 PM
((It's not so much that Kaio is unhurtable in that Kaio controls pretty much everything besides the people in his little world of Tartarus.))

"You would not kill yourself, this I know. You are much too worried about your dear girlfriend - What was her name? Pupil? It matters not. The point is that you would not sacrifice yourself just to spite me and then leave her to die."

((By the way, I probably can't stay on long - I'm supposed to be grounded from the computer))

NecroPaladin
2007-04-28, 12:11 PM
He has apparently found his answer, even though he grimaces when he hears that 'Pupil' comment.

"So she lives, then?"

He sighs.

"As long as you can prove her life, I suppose that I will comply. You have already unlocked my emotions, it's clear, and I suppose that you might improve me more.

I only spite you because I fear that as you have unlocked said emotions, then so, too, will you toss them away. Should you tamper with anything not to my liking, this scene will repeat itself."

((Sucks...))

Nevrmore
2007-04-28, 12:13 PM
"Sit back on the altar." Kaio says, disregarding Revenant's threats.

((Yeah, but it could have been worse.))

NecroPaladin
2007-04-28, 12:16 PM
Eyes open and clearly observing what's going on, Revenant sighs as the operation begins anew. The spark begins to die down and the sword and amor dissapear as his passion dies down.

"You had better finish soon...I don't intend to stay down here for all of eternity, as humans die of old age as well, shade."

((How so?))

Nevrmore
2007-04-28, 01:49 PM
"You've not been here that long, ghoul."

Kaio begins once again.

((I had expected to be pretty much completely cut off for the world for a few weeks/months. I only got banned from the computer/phone/going out for a week.))

Ms_Elaneous
2007-04-28, 01:52 PM
((Wow, rather what I had expected. Tis the season, eh?))

NecroPaladin
2007-04-28, 01:56 PM
"And I don't intend to be."

The corpse says indignantly.

Nevrmore
2007-04-28, 02:20 PM
Kaio does weird scienc-y stuff to Revenant's body that is up to NecroPaladin's discretion.

NecroPaladin
2007-04-28, 02:24 PM
NecroPaladin begins to think about what could have been done. This may take a while.

NecroPaladin
2007-04-28, 07:23 PM
((I just remembered what the original thing was meant to be...I wanted to make a heart-themed character...))

A good long while later, the frail, dead man's eyelids snap open again. The sparks begin at a much faster rate now, as his body gets used to the change. He barely has time to gasp before the luminescent plates of armor, completely unlike those he wore under the Angel of the Scale's control, have latched onto his body. He lifts onto his feet seemingly effortlessly, and his wings spread painfully. The metal of the wings has fused into them, making them appear to be fluid, white silver angel wings rather than portals covered in daggers. His tail, or rather, TWO tails curl out behind him, one black and one white.

"What...how did-"

This is when the shadows appear. A dark, spectral image of a horse...no, not a horse...rather, an image of what a horse might be to someone who had never seen one, but been given a description, a mere idea of a horse...forms in place beneath him. Four dark figures who look vaguely like the shadows of the priests who guard him materialize as well. Looking down, he finds that they all extend from his own shadow, becoming three-dimensional at points on the ground and stretching up. All five of the shades have odd, empty holes struck through their heads like eyes, circular, cylindrical cut outs that allow one to see clear through the blackness. As well, each shade's chest is transluscent, framed by a dull red glow within.

"What are-"

As a final touch, the knight, who now looks nothing like Revenant save the empty spaces visible through his helm's faceplate, finds a sheath on his side...And a quiver of strange, heart-tipped nails on his back.

He speaks, his voice like a more mature, deep, and, well, masculine Revenant,

"You've unlocked my potential...I'm amazed that I never knew that I could do this..."

He raises the sword once more, but stops.

"But, more importantly...I've some queer connection. Something in the back of my mind."

His helmet folds away with a series of metallic sounds, revealing that he is smiling and holding back black tears.

"The priests...have kept Iris safe."

((Well, I make him awesome enough yet or are there more experiments to do? I'm running out of ideas...))

Nevrmore
2007-04-30, 05:37 PM
"I believe we are done, here, ghoul..." Kaio says in a satisfied tone.

NecroPaladin
2007-04-30, 06:22 PM
Revenant puts his helmet back on.

"Indeed, we are done. You may have improved me, but this is counterbalanced by the endangerment of one I care about. I thank you, and I hope never to see you again from this moment."

He dismounts, heading over to Kiao.

"Take me back to my world."

Nevrmore
2007-04-30, 06:27 PM
"Your body has been repaired, but your mind has not. You still do not understand that you are in no position to demand things from me."

NecroPaladin
2007-04-30, 06:32 PM
"This damage is permanent. And the likes of you couldn't possibly know why.

So you wish simply to keep me forever? As part of some cruel collection?"

Revenant grimaces, but decides that drawing his weapon would mean nothing.

"Or must I find my own way out of this place?"

Nevrmore
2007-04-30, 06:34 PM
"I shall be more than happy to release my new creation upon the world, ghoul, but not one that is arrogant enough to believe he can command me."

NecroPaladin
2007-04-30, 06:38 PM
"I am hardly your creation. I will, however, admit that your modifications...have made me stronger in more ways than one. Not only did you increase my physical power, but detaining me as such has bolstered my own emotional balance."

He seems to think for a second, and then, hesitantly, kneels and plants his sword in the ground.

"As of now...you are my better."

Nevrmore
2007-04-30, 06:39 PM
"Much better...Now, do you have a request, ghoul?"

NecroPaladin
2007-04-30, 06:43 PM
"I request that I be returned to my world...if possible, to just outside my home."

He says this grudgingly at first, but loosens up at the mere prospect of everything ending happily.

Nevrmore
2007-04-30, 07:09 PM
Kaio flicks his wrist up. A portal of pure blackness appears at Revenant's feet.

"Do you see what you get when you learn your place, ghoul?" He says. "For your sake, I hope you do not forget."

NecroPaladin
2007-04-30, 07:13 PM
"I respect you but hold my prejudice. I hope to never return to this place."

He steps into the portal, reappearing in the Streets of the Town.

((The way I look at it for sake of the plot, Revenant did not realize that he was exhibiting such emotion, and Kaio harnessed that power. The idea being that rather than Kaio actually adding on to Revenant, he unlocked capabilities that would have been lost otherwise. Thus why Revenant refuses to be called Kaio's creation.))

Nevrmore
2007-05-13, 06:48 PM
Two portals of blackness open up in the floor. Ebola and Leprosy soon rise out of it.

"You are back." Kaio says matter-of-factly. He does not turn to greet them as he is busy working on a corpse laying on the altar.

"Yes, Master Fyta, we're back." Leprosy says, nodding.

"And? What have you to report?" Fyta asks as he wrenches the skin back from the corpse's chest cavity.

"My part went off without a hitch. I've got an army 2, maybe 300 strong waiting." Ebola says, tapping his bone staff on his shoulder.

"And I managed to infect tons of people." Leprosy states after Ebola finishes. "I can activate them at anytime, Lord."

"Excellent, ghouls of mine." Kaio puts down his equipment and turns to them for the first time. "The plan is coming to fruition. My research will benefit greatly from your subservience."

"Anything else we need to do, Fyta?" Ebola says quickly, trying to cut off the word 'subservience.'

"Make sure no one finds your respective armies. When I decide to commence the plan, you shall both be informed. Now be gone, I am busy working."

Ebola and Leprosy bow their heads slightly and disappear back into the inky portals.

Nevrmore
2007-05-20, 03:21 PM
Kaio sets his tools down, deciding to take a break from working on his newest corpse. Instead he walks to a better-lit corner of his lair and stares at the small box that Ebola had delivered to him.

"Beautiful in its simplicity...Exactly as I enjoy it." He says to himself, admiring the small details on the trinket. The researcher raises his head a bit as he hears the familiar sound of crackling flames.

"I hope you realize the implications of what you are doing, Fyta." A strange man says. Behind his normal, if off-putting, voice, it sounds like there is another voice saying exactly what the first is, but backwards.

"Ah, I had been wondering when they would send you, Informant." Kaio says, turning to greet the newcomer. Before the wraith stood a humanoid-looking figure about as tall as he. His form was indiscernable as he was wreathed in a cloak of black flames that covered his entire body, save for a large, horizontal slit to allow for him to see. Pale blue skin was visible around his cat-like eyes. He was known to those in the underworld as the Informant of Hell.

"Then you knew that you were going to anger more than a few of the powerful archdevils before you commenced with this haphazard scheme?" The Informant asks, c0cking his head to one side.

"Hardly haphazard." Kaio protests gently, "And yes, I knew it was going to be a thorn in their sides, but you must understand this is for research." Fyta assures.

"That excuse is growing tiresome, Fyta. It won't work for much longer, and then you will endure the full wrath of Hades."

"Your words are your most powerful weapon, Informant, and they do not serve to hurt me."

"Then you truly are as foolish as I have thought."

"I assure you, Informant, that once I am done your lords and ladies will have what is theirs, unharmed. I just need them for a small while."

"Make it so that it is as small as possible then, wraith. If not, it will not be me visiting your lair the next time." The Informant threatens before dissipating in a swirl of black fire.

Nevrmore
2007-05-31, 11:44 PM
The ground opens up again, Kaio arising from it, holding Shasta in his arms.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-31, 11:52 PM
Shasta immediately ceases glowing. "What on earth..." He turns around. "Who are you? Where am I?"

Nevrmore
2007-05-31, 11:57 PM
Kaio releases Shasta and bows slightly, though this may be more of a mocking gesture than anything.

"My name is Kaio Fyta. I am a researcher." He states simply. "You are in my lair, Tartarus."

Fax Celestis
2007-06-01, 12:11 AM
"A researcher? What kind of researcher?" His claws, mask, and second set of arms fade as he speaks. "And I'm to assume I am the test subject I suppose."

Nevrmore
2007-06-01, 12:13 AM
The various vivisected bodies around the room should give Shasta a pretty good clue of what sort of researcher Kaio Fyta is.

"You're correct in that assumption."

thehothead
2007-06-01, 12:16 AM
A portal may or may not open up, depending on the difficulty of finding and entering this plane. ((Haydn is a decently powerful wizard, and was aided by a supercomputer possessing intelligence 100 times a normal human's that has deduced most natural laws and is constantly looking for fluctuations in his attempt to find this plane.))

Fax Celestis
2007-06-01, 12:17 AM
"You want to cut me open...why? I'm all for progress, but I draw the line at my own vivisection."

Nevrmore
2007-06-01, 12:19 AM
((Tartarus is pretty much completely tucked away from the world, and I can't really see a way of just randomly finding it...Kaio doesn't leave a trail when he enters/exits it and it's only about 20 square feet unless he wills it bigger. No one but him and his followers can get to it normally...))

"I love to experiment on interesting things. You're very interesting."

thehothead
2007-06-01, 12:24 AM
((The supercomputer records fluctuations in realities. Specificly the type that result from teleportation. This is including things that too fast for most things that see things too fast for the naked eye can see. There's likelyhood it'd be able to trace Shasta, particularly after the large amount of time I observed him eating. I would also guess that if it's so difficult to find, there would be no bother at making it difficult to get into as well. I was planing on failing in the long run but, still, it's your call.))

Nevrmore
2007-06-01, 12:26 AM
((Well, I'll give it to you straight; If you do get in, Kaio has complete control over the realm, so he'll oust you just as fast.))

thehothead
2007-06-01, 12:29 AM
((yes I realize that, but my character sure as heck doesn't. He already tried to open the portal, if it didn't get here, I'll just make it so it opened somewhere else. Plus, I think Kaio will consider the fact that I managed to find his demiplane "interesting"))

Fax Celestis
2007-06-01, 12:34 AM
"Well, thank you for that, but really, I'd much rather remain alive and in one piece. So, if you'll excuse me, I'll be going. Unless you'd like me to stick around and chat, of course, but if a scalpel comes near me, there will be death--and it won't be mine."

Nevrmore
2007-06-01, 12:43 AM
((Eh...how about your character comes in later? As in, after I'm done with Shasta?))

Kaio chuckles. "Threats on my life...I've not had those in awhile." The wraith gently raises his hand up, prompting an empty table to rise from the floor. "Enough with the niceties, however. Lay on the table, please."

thehothead
2007-06-01, 12:48 AM
((Well what he's TRYING to do is get a somebody indebted to him (he needs minions other then his automatons) so he's trying to stage a rescue. How would when he'a EFFECTIVELY done with shasta work? (he's done most of what he's going to do, though still wants to do a few things) Sorry if it seems like we're bargaining about you Fax))

Nevrmore
2007-06-01, 12:49 AM
((Well let's see how this whole thing with Kaio and Shasta arguing is going to turn out first))

Fax Celestis
2007-06-01, 12:52 AM
Shasta raises an eyebrow. "You think I'm going to just let you walk all over me? Oh, you've got another thing coming." He begins searching for an exit.

*pushes pause* This is fun and all that, but I won't be online pretty much at all tomorrow, as it is the wife's birthday. I'll return soon, though, and we can complete this then.

thehothead
2007-06-01, 12:53 AM
((ok then, guess finding this place took a while then.))

Nevrmore
2007-06-01, 12:54 AM
Shasta can search all he wants, there is no natural exit to Tartarus.

Kaio chuckles.

"The only way out is through my will, friend. Cooperate and you will be back in your home plane in a few hours."

Fax Celestis
2007-06-02, 01:34 PM
"What does cooperating entail?" He doesn't stop his searching.

Nevrmore
2007-06-02, 06:04 PM
"Laying on this table."

Fax Celestis
2007-06-03, 01:23 AM
"Do I get to live? And can't we sit and have tea or something instead?"