PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Stone Sentinel (Prestige Class) (PEACH)

LoyalPaladin
2015-06-17, 01:18 PM
Hello everybody,
I am new to the homebrew section, but not exactly new to homebrewing. I've been working diligently on a setting for some time now with a small group of people, and it has fallen on me to create prestige classes for a handful of the deities. Eventually I will post them all on here, but I'd like to take it slow. So here is the first one. This prestige class is for the God of Law & Earth. He is the only Deity with Paladins in this setting and his Stone Sentinels are supposed to be stalwart pillars of the law.

All that said, I want to balance these classes out. So please critique them and help me out!

PS, I'm also terrible at placing the ability tags like Su and Ex. I'd appreciate help with it!

Stone Sentinel
Hit Die
d12

Requirements
Alignment: Lawful Good
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Deity: Orbos
Feats: Extra Smiting, Weapon Focus (Warhammer)
Skills: Diplomacy 5 ranks, Sense Motive 5 Ranks
Special: Must have Smite Evil class feature, Must be able to cast Divine Sacrifice

Class Skills
Class Skills
The Stone Sentinel's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha),Heal (Wis), Knowledge (nobility and royalty) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), and Sense Motive (Wis).

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
2 + Int modifier.

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Class Features
Spellcasting

1st
+1+2+0+0
Domain Casting, Badge of Duty
-
2nd
+2+3+0+0
Crushing Smite 1/day
+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
3rd
+3+3+1+1
Stable Ground
4th
+4+4+1+1
Crushing Smite 2/day
5th
+5+4+1+1
Stone Mind
6th
+6+5+2+2
Smite Chaos, Crushing Smite 3/day
7th
+7+5+2+2
Mettle
8th
+8+6+2+2
Crushing Smite 4/day
9th
+9+6+3+3
Heavy Handed Smite
10th
+10+7+3+3
Aspect of the Mountain, Crushing Smite 5/day

Class Features:
All the following are Class Features of the Stone Sentinel prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Stone Sentinels gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Domain Casting (Su):
At 1st level, a Stone Sentinel may add spells from Orbos’ domains to his Paladin spell list.

Orbos' domains are: Earth, Law, Good, Strength, and Protection.

Badge of Duty (Ex):
At 1st level, all Stone Sentinels are issued a badge of duty by the church of Orbos. This badge grants you the ability to function as an officer of the law in any city that contains a temple of Orbos.

Crushing Smite (Ex):
At 2nd level, a Stone Sentinel gains extra smites per day. In addition, when a Stone Sentinel smites evil, they may overcome all DR and Hardness.

An additional smite is gained at every even level of Stone Sentinel.

Stable Ground (Ex):
At 3rd level, when touching the ground, a Stone Sentinel cannot be moved in any way if he is not willing.

Stone Mind (Ex):
At 5th level, a Stone Sentinel may add his Constitution Modifier as an untyped bonus to Will saving throws.

Smite Chaos (Su):
At 6th level, when using his Smite class feature, a Stone Sentinel may choose to Smite Chaos instead of evil. If the smite fails, the attempt is still used up for the day.

Mettle (Ex):
At 7th level, a Stone Sentinel gains the Mettle class feature. If you succeed on a Fortitude or Will save against an attack that would normally produce a lesser effect on a successful save (such as a spell with a saving throw entry of Will half or Fortitude partial), you instead negate the effect. You do not gain the benefit of mettle when you are unconscious or sleeping.

Heavy Handed Smite (Su):
At 9th level, when a Stone Sentinel smites evil or chaos, the creature that was hit is considered under the effects of Dimension Anchor for a number of rounds equal the Stone Sentinel's charisma modifier.

Aspect of the Mountain (Su):
At 10th level, a Stone Sentinel has tremorsense at all times. In addition, once per day a Stone Sentinel can gain a natural armor bonus equal to half their character level, this lasts a number of rounds equal to your charisma or constitution bonus (whichever is higher).

Multiclass Note:
A paladin who becomes a Stone Sentinel may continue advancing as a paladin. A paladin who becomes a Stone Sentinel may also add his Stone Sentinel levels when determining the values of his Lay on Hands, Smite Evil, and Special Mount.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-17, 02:09 PM
It's pretty clearly a Paladin PrC, so you'll want to add "Multiclass Note: A paladin who becomes a Stone Sentinel may continue advancing as a paladin."

You should probably specify in the text the level at which each ability is gained, unless the ability is gained at 1st level (then you can just say "A Stone Sentinel can...").

The BAB prerequisite seems a bit high, but I guess it's there to enforce Paladin entry.
Badge of Duty's wording is a bit off. I'd recommend "You are respected by the law, and have been issues a badge of duty by the church of Orbos. This badge grants you the ability to function as an officer of the law in any city that contains a temple of Orbos." It should be either (Ex) or not have an ability type.

What domains does Orbos have? You should probably list those under Domain Casting for anyone who wants to use this PrC in a different setting. Domain Casting should also not have a typing.

Crushing Smite should be (Ex), and is a nice buff to smite. Doesn't do much to fix the fact that smite evil is pretty bad in 3.5 (one melee attack? expended on a miss? can't be used with charges unless you pay a feat? really, WotC?), but it helps.

Stable Ground is... odd. By RAW it means you can't teleport, ever, even from allied castings. That's not fun, especially since people will be teleporting all over the place by 11th level. Maybe "While they are touching the ground, a Stone Sentinel of 5th level or higher may ignore any effect that would move them from their current location, whether physical (such as a bull rush) or magical (such as maze or plane shift)." Either way it should be (Su).

Stone Mind should just be "A Stone Sentinel of 6th level or higher may add his Constitution Modifier as an untyped bonus to Will saving throws." It's probably (Ex).

Mettle would be (Ex), and you'll probably want to define what it does here or provide a reference to another class that provides it (e.g. as the Crusader ability).

Stand Still... euch. If someone wanted this feat they'd have picked it up well before 15th level. Not sure what should replace it. Maybe something that lets them apply a Dimensional Anchor to their smites?

Aspect of the Mountain should be (Su), and is a pretty underwhelming capstone. A Paladin 6/Stone Sentinel 10 gets +5 to natural armor for three rounds per day. Needs to be replaced with something better.

The Paladin is a bad class in 3.5. Any Paladin-focused PrC should be strictly better than ten more levels of paladin. You should probably let Stone Sentinel levels stack with Paladin levels for Special Mount, Lay on Hands, and Smite Evil damage.

Overall, interesting but needs a few buffs and clarifications.

LoyalPaladin
2015-06-17, 03:08 PM
"Multiclass Note: A paladin who becomes a Stone Sentinel may continue advancing as a paladin."
I will add this. Updated.

You should probably specify in the text the level at which each ability is gained, unless the ability is gained at 1st level (then you can just say "A Stone Sentinel can...").
I will also add this! Updated.

The BAB prerequisite seems a bit high, but I guess it's there to enforce Paladin entry.
I lowered it by one. Who needs remove disease anyways?

Badge of Duty's wording is a bit off.
Updated.

What domains does Orbos have?
Updated.

Crushing Smite should be (Ex), and is a nice buff to smite.
Thank you! I thought it was something useful.

Stable Ground is... odd.
I had a hard time with this one. I wanted to give the Stone Sentinel a way to root himself. But it would be unfortunate if he couldn't teleport with allies and such... any suggestions?

Stone Mind should just be "A Stone Sentinel of 6th level or higher may add his Constitution Modifier as an untyped bonus to Will saving throws." It's probably (Ex).
Updated.

Mettle would be (Ex), and you'll probably want to define what it does here or provide a reference to another class that provides it (e.g. as the Crusader ability).
I'll list the ability. Updated.

Maybe something that lets them apply a Dimensional Anchor to their smites?
I like this. I'll update it. Added!

Aspect of the Mountain should be (Su), and is a pretty underwhelming capstone. A Paladin 6/Stone Sentinel 10 gets +5 to natural armor for three rounds per day. Needs to be replaced with something better.
I'd like to make the capstone something that really asserts them as the Earth deity's elite paladins. Hmm.

The Paladin is a bad class in 3.5. Any Paladin-focused PrC should be strictly better than ten more levels of paladin. You should probably let Stone Sentinel levels stack with Paladin levels for Special Mount, Lay on Hands, and Smite Evil damage.
I planned on this. I just didn't get it in apparently! Added!

Overall, interesting but needs a few buffs and clarifications.
Thank you so much for your help.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-17, 03:18 PM
I had a hard time with this one. I wanted to give the Stone Sentinel a way to root himself. But it would be unfortunate if he couldn't teleport with allies and such... any suggestions?

Already suggested in my last post, actually.

"While they are touching the ground, a Stone Sentinel of 5th level or higher may ignore any effect that would move them from their current location, whether physical (such as a bull rush) or magical (such as maze or plane shift)."

Thank you so much for your help.

You're welcome! I like helping other people with projects they're working on :smallbiggrin:

So when's that next PrC gonna get posted? :smallamused:

Zaydos
2015-06-17, 03:18 PM
Stable Ground:
When touching the ground, a Stone Sentinel cannot be moved in any way if he is not willing. This grants them immunity to bullrush and to teleportation effects unless he willingly allows them to affect him.

As for the capstone...

Maybe make it based off of character level (so +7 when you get it) with a duration based off of the higher of your Con or Cha (instead of paladin level) and throw on tremorsense at all times. It means for 1 encounter/day you have an AC of... well depending upon what you're fighting won't be hit to "welp at least the dragon can't power attack me" (seriously CR 20 dragons hit a full AC fighter on a ~0 :smallannoyed:) and the rest of the time you have tremorsense, it's something at least.

LoyalPaladin
2015-06-17, 03:48 PM
Already suggested in my last post, actually."
Wow. Somehow I missed that.

You're welcome! I like helping other people with projects they're working on :smallbiggrin:

So when's that next PrC gonna get posted? :smallamused:
Once I get this one completely sorted, I'll post the next one. Which I believe is a cleric one.

Stable Ground:
When touching the ground, a Stone Sentinel cannot be moved in any way if he is not willing. This grants them immunity to bullrush and to teleportation effects unless he willingly allows them to affect him.
I really like this. Simple and to the point.

As for the capstone...

Maybe make it based off of character level (so +7 when you get it) with a duration based off of the higher of your Con or Cha (instead of paladin level) and throw on tremorsense at all times. It means for 1 encounter/day you have an AC of... well depending upon what you're fighting won't be hit to "welp at least the dragon can't power attack me" (seriously CR 20 dragons hit a full AC fighter on a ~0 :smallannoyed:) and the rest of the time you have tremorsense, it's something at least.
Hmmm. I like the tremorsense. That is really fitting for them. It really annoys me how bad AC is.

Zaydos
2015-06-17, 04:01 PM
Hmmm. I like the tremorsense. That is really fitting for them. It really annoys me how bad AC is.

I was accidentally using the Great Wyrm Black Dragon instead of a Wyrm. A Wyrm needs a 2 to hit you if you have 44 AC (+7 from Shield, +5 Ring, +5 Amulet, 13 mithral full plate, +3 Dex, +1 dustry rose ioun stone), or a 1 with 4 WF feats and Gr. Multiweapon Fighting (so a 2 since it's not worth 6 feats... though it could replace them with 1 epic feat if the DM wanted it to). This means that since it deals (averages) 26, 15, 15, 13, 13, 27 damage with its attacks, if you go full AC the dragon is actually better off not PAing you, but each point below 44 AC you have is one point of PA the dragon should use.

Note against the other CR 20 MM creatures

Pit Fiend needs a 14 to hit AC 44 with its claws, 16 with its other 4 attacks.

Balor needs a 13/18/20/20/14/19 with its routine.

The problem is caster critters, and that dragon CR seems to be calculated in its own weird dimension.

LoyalPaladin
2015-06-17, 04:07 PM
<Lots of things that make me even more sad about AC>
Maybe it should grant you DR instead...

Heavy Handed Smite (Su):
At 9th level, when a Stone Sentinel smites evil or chaos, the creature that was hit is considered under the effects of Dimension Anchor for a number of rounds equal the Stone Sentinel's charisma modifier.
I've removed Stand Still and added in Heavy Handed Smite.

Zaydos
2015-06-17, 04:26 PM
Maybe it should grant you DR instead...

Let's show you those numbers with +10 AC active.

Wyrm Black Dragon: 12/12/12/12/12/12 for 51.03 average/dpr

Pit Fiend: Requires Nat 20, for ... actually hits that strange spot where you have so much armor they might as well full PA for 10 average dpr (including crits), though it's actually really weird because really this is ~30% chance per round of taking a little less than 40 damage. Paladins are already liable to make the poison save and immune to the disease.

Balor: Same as pit fiend. 'cept it uses a vorpal sword so average damage matters less.

With DR 10

Wyrm Black Dragon: 2/2/2/2/2/2, but the DR makes it worth PAing to get around it, if the dragon PAs 10 you get the above situation, if the PAs for 9 it deals more damage.

Pit Fiend: If it only uses its claws the pit fiend deals 11.34 damage on average through DR 10 and that's accidentally applying the DR twice to crits (should be closer to 12). The wings become negligible (3 average damage on a hit). The bite adds 3.5 average damage (10 on a hit, .35 chance of hitting), and the tail slap adds half that.

The things that get around AC also get around DR so...

Against MM monsters AC is useful actually. Against casters AC and DR are both useless.

LoyalPaladin
2015-06-17, 04:32 PM
The things that get around AC also get around DR so...

Against MM monsters AC is useful actually. Against casters AC and DR are both useless.
Frustrating. But with the added benefit of tremorsense, I think it is a worthwhile capstone. Maybe not the best capstone in the game, but still very viable.

Maybe I should give them full 20 Wizard casting as a capstone.:smallamused: