PDA

View Full Version : Arr! The Great Big Crab-like Thing! [MitP]

Scorpina
2007-04-26, 11:47 AM
Crab Golem
Large Construct
Hit Dice: 8d10 (40 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), swim 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armour Class: 22 (-1 size, +3 Dexterity, +10 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+22
Attack: Claw +13 melee (1d8+12)
Full Attack: 2 claws +13 melee (1d8+12)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Constrict 1d8+12, Improved Grab, Powerful Claws, Trample
Special Qualities: Low-light Vision, Darkvision 60 ft., Construct Traits
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 16, Con --, Int --, Wis 10, Cha 2
Skills: --
Feats: --
Environment: Any coastal
Organization: Solitary, scouting group (2-4), or wave (6-10)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: --
Level Adjustment: --

The whirring and clicking of the golems inner workings are audible as it scuttles towards you on eight jointed mechanical legs, metal edged claws lunging forwards to rip through any resistance they might meet. Clearly, this is not the attack of any common animal or monster, but the deliberate charge of an engine of war.

Designed as self-powering siege engines, Crab Golems are commonly used as part (or indeed all) of naval attacks on port cities. Able to do just as well in land as in the water, they are perfectly designed for costal combat. Additionally, their fierce claws allow them to rip through any defences erected against them with relative ease. When attacking a ship or other floating target, it is not uncommon for the constructs to swim beneath their foe and attempt to scuttle them. In times of peace, they can also be used in construction and defence themselves.

Combat
A crab golem attacks it’s target head on, usually bursting from the shoreline and bee-lining for whatever it has been sent to attack stopping only to destroy whoever or whatever stands between it an it’s goal. Although they can be ordered to retreat, they are more commonly commanded to fight until either they or their foes are destroyed.

Constrict (Ex): With a successful grapple check, a crab can crush a grabbed opponent, dealing 1d8+12 points of bludgeoning damage.

Improved Grab (Ex): If a crab golem hits an opponent of medium size or smaller with a claw attack, it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it gets a hold, it also constricts on the same round.

Powerful Claws (Ex): A crab golem always applies 1.5 times its Strength modifier to damage inflicted with its claws. Additionally, it gains a +4 racial bonus on grapple checks.

Trample (Ex): A crab golem can trample creatures of small size or smaller, 1d8+12 damage. Opponents who do not make attacks of opportunity against the golem can attempt DC 22 Reflex saves to halve the damage.

Amotis
2007-04-26, 11:49 AM
Tastes like Apparatus but more RTS. Mmmm.

Penguinizer
2007-04-26, 11:59 AM
Can it be cooked? Whoops. I took it a tad too literally XD

Demented
2007-04-26, 05:12 PM
In defense of Penguinizer, I recommend this creature be named "Golem Crab", in accordance with DnD convention. =P

Icewalker
2007-04-26, 06:01 PM
Or even just Iron crab, that'd be a cool name.

Couple issues.
A large construct gets 30 bonus hp.
The attacks are set up wrong, although I'm not positive on how they should be set up as natural weapons. The bonus should be +14 on the single attack. I think it'd be +9/+9 on the full attack, without the multiattack feat, but I'm not sure.
It shouldn't say +X/+X for the single attack. You can't do multiple hits as a standard action.
Shouldn't have a fort save (I think...)

Quite the idea though, I like it.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-26, 06:15 PM
The grapple mod should be +22, since the size modifier stacks with the racial modifier you gave it.

The Attack line should read "Claw +14 melee (1d8+12)", and the Fall Attack line should read "2 claws +14 melee (1d8+12)".

jjpickar
2007-04-26, 07:52 PM
Anything from Dexter's Laboratory has my vote.

Captain: Arrgh I've been searching all my life for...

Sailor: Excuse me captain, no you haven't.

Classic

Icewalker
2007-04-26, 09:17 PM
The Attack line should read "Claw +14 melee (1d8+12)", and the Fall Attack line should read "2 claws +14 melee (1d8+12)".

You sure? Don't they get a minus for using both?

Danu
2007-04-27, 03:33 PM
They're claws. Claw attacks are essentially the same natural attack, you can just do it twice when full attacking. Lord Iames Osari is right about the attack entries, and you're right about the +30 hit points. Except that the creature's attack should be +13. BAB +6, Str +8, Large -1.

And the the Fort save is alright. Constructs have a poor Fort save, so an 8HD construct would have a +2 on it. A Con of - does not actually give a penalty to Fortitude saves.

I think it should have Power Attack as a bonus feat. ^_^

DracoDei
2007-05-10, 10:12 PM
From what I know of metalurgy(sp) I suggest bronze (certainly not iron) for the working material.

Reptilius
2007-05-11, 01:35 PM
It should shoot lasers. I don't know why, but it seems really familiar. Just screams "lasers."

DragonTounge
2007-06-05, 06:58 PM
Hey how do you create a crab golem. Just wondering how much it costs, how much xp you need, and what spells and feats are needed? It would be cool to have one.

Khoran
2007-06-05, 07:33 PM
Giant Enemy Crab?

Anyways, good monster, though possibly a bit too low of a CR for the amount of Hit Die it has. Either way, if I run a sea based campaign, I'd probobly use this.

The Demented One
2007-06-05, 08:12 PM
Giant Enemy Crab?
It needs a weak point that you can hit for MASSIVE DAMAGE.