PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Psychic Warrior (Yet Another Take!)

Fyndhal
2015-06-18, 01:57 PM
Possibly the most Homebrewed class idea out there. Here is my take.

For my version, I wanted a class that had archetypes that fulfilled very different roles. I wanted a Tank-ish up close fighter, a sneaky light burst damage type and a social/leader type. I created a background format that can allow each archetype to share certain effects and used the Archetype to flesh out the somewhat major differences.

I'm not entirely happy with the results.

The Psychic Warrior

Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d10 per Psychic Warrior level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 10 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d10 (or 6) + your
Constitution modifier per Psychic Warrior level after 1st
Proficiencies
Light Armor, Medium Armor
Simple Weapons, Martial Melee Weapons
Charisma and Wisdom Saves
Skills
Choose two of (Athletics, Acrobatics, Persuasion, Deception, Stealth, Perception, Insight)

Advancement
1: Unarmored Defense (AC=Dex+Wis while unarmored, Shield is allowed), Psychic Weapon (summoned weapon, Deals 1d6 Psychic damage, is Magic for purposes of Resistances), Pick Sub-class: Guardian (Fighter), Emissary (Leader), Sentinel (Rogue)
2: Mind Over Body (Add WisBonus to Athletics and Acrobatics checks), Spell Casting; Fighting
Style (Dueling, Two Weapon Fighting, Defense, Protection, Great Weapon Fighting)
3: Sub-class Feature
4: ASI
5: Extra Attack
6: Enhanced Guidance (Roll 1d6 when using Guidance Cantrip)
7: Sub-class Feature
8: ASI
9: Additional Cantrip
10: Enhanced Mind Over Body (Adv. on Athletics and Acrobatics checks, Leaps no longer limited.)
11: Sub-class Feature
12: ASI
13: Danger Sense (as Barbarian)
14: Additional Cantrip
15: Sub-class Feature
16: ASI
17: Supreme Guidance (Guidance Cantrip becomes a d8)
18: Additional Cantrip
19: ASI
20: The Future is Now (May cast a self only version of Foresight as a Ritual)

Spellcasting:
* Know whole spell list as per Paladin/Cleric
* DC = 8 + Proficiency Bonus + Wisdom Bonus
* Cantrips: At level 3, learn Guidance and 1 other cantrip from the list. Learn an additional cantrip at levels 9, 14 and 18.
* Spells Known as per Paladin Advancement
Archetypes
Guardian
1: Gain Heavy Armor Proficiency
3: Enhanced Psychic Weapon (Summon a second weapon, shield or increase the summoned weapon to two hand size (1d10+Reach))
7: Aura of Protection: Add WisBonus to all Saves, affects nearby allies.
11: Force of Will: Enemies have Disadvantage to resist Knockdown/Knockback effects generated by the Guardian
15: Mind Over Matter: May add WisBonus to AC even while wearing Armor.

Emissary
1: Gain Investigation Proficiency
3: Inspiring (As Bardic Inspiration, but Wis based), Personable (Add WisBonus to Persuasion and Deception)
7: Preserver (As a Reaction, may cast Shield on a Target within 50' they have LOS to)
11: Diplomat (Adv on Insight and Social Skill checks)
15: Diplomatic Immunity (Unless they are the only target in combat, enemies must make a Wisdom save vs the Consular's spell DC or attack a different target. If the Consular is hit by an attack which does not directly target them, they have Resistance to the effect.)

Sentinel
1: Gain Stealth Proficiency
3: Sneak Attack (Lvl/3+1, Max 7d6 @ 18th Lvl), Hide as a Bonus Action
7: Cloud Mind (May hide without requiring Cover, fails vs. Immune to Psychic/Illusions)
11: Disguise Self at Will, Vigilant (Has advantage on Perception and Investigation check to reveal hidden things)
15: Stunning Blow (Enemies hit by the Sentinel's Sneak Attack must make a Con save vs. the Sentinel's spell DC or be stunned until the end of the Sentinel's next turn.)

===
New Spells
Charge Weapon
Level 1 Enchantment (Psionic)
Cast Time: 1 Bonus Action
Components S
Duration 1 Minute (Concentration)
Target Held Weapon
You charge the weapon (if dual wielding, both weapons are enchanted) you are wielding with Psionic Energy. Enemies struck by this weapon take an additional 1d4 psychic damage. If you drop the weapon, the spell ends.
Casting this as a 3rd level spell extends duration to 1 hour. Casting it as a 5th level spell extends the duration 10 8 hours.
The intent here is that it fills the same role as Hex or Hunter's Mark, but is a self-buff rather than targeted effect. Since the caster does not burn bonus actions re-targeting, the die size is reduced one step to help maintain balance.

Spell List
Cantrips
Blade Ward
Friends
Guidance
Mage Hand
Prestidigitation

1st level
Alarm
Catapult (EE PDF)
Command
Charge Weapon
Cure Wounds
Detect Magic
Detect Poison and Disease
Heroism
Jump
Longstrider

2nd Level
Aid
Barkskin
Darkvision
Hold Person
Pass Without Trace
Lesser Restoration
Locate Object
Protection from Poison

3rd Level
Daylight
Dispel Magic
Magic Circle
Non-Detection
Protection from Energy
Revivify
Tongues
Wind Wall

4th Level
Banishment
Freedom of Movement
Locate Creature
Stoneskin

5th Level
Commune with Nature
Geas
Hold Monster
Modify Memory
Raise Dead
Telekinesis

Changelog:
1.1 Moved Archetype selection to level 1. Adjusted level 3 abilities to reflect this change.
1.0 Initial Posting

Steampunkette
2015-06-18, 02:19 PM
I would've gone for Intelligence or Charisma for powers...

JUST to be contrary!

ZenBear
2015-06-18, 05:53 PM
I'm dodgy on the idea of Heavy Armor Prof coming at level 3. Perhaps choose your specialty at 1 with only 1 or 2 perks, the rest come at 3?

Fyndhal
2015-06-19, 09:20 AM
I'm dodgy on the idea of Heavy Armor Prof coming at level 3. Perhaps choose your specialty at 1 with only 1 or 2 perks, the rest come at 3?

I can understand that. Taking this suggestion, I updated the initial post so that Archetype selection is done at level 1 but it only grants you a bonus skill at that point. The meat of the AT does not kick in until level 3.