PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Lord Vader (3.5, Vestige, Star Wars, PEACH)

Zaydos
2015-06-28, 06:56 PM
Lord Vader, the Fallen and Redeemed

Lord Vader was a long prophesied paladin, who fell becoming a blackguard of the darkest sort before being redeemed by his son and casting down the dark emperor who else would have conquered the world. While bound he grants you his legendary armor, a portion of his menace, and his telekinetic skill.

Level: 5th

Binding Check DC: 25.

Legend: Vader was a paladin of unrivaled potential, said to be the prophecied hero of his age. His skill in battle was proven at an early day when he was instrumental in routing a warforged army, and only continued to grow as he was taken in as a squire by a young knight. When civil war tore across his country Vader was said to have been the shining paragon and champion, the greatest up and coming hero of his day. However he had a forbidden love with a countess, which violated his knightly oaths of chastity, and his youth led him to be led closer and closer to the king through simple flattery. Convinced that his lady love was doomed to die from nightmares which haunted the young knight's sleep, he fell under the sway of the king who had secretly staged the entire war to weaken the peerage and the church. Joining the king he betrayed his order slaughtering the pages and squires who would make up the next generation, and sought black arts with which to save his lady love. His betrayal of the light tore at her heart, causing her to confront him and in anger at what he saw as betrayal he lashed out dealing her the blow which would end her life. Vader served beneath his dark king for 20 odd years afterwards only to betray his king at the moment of the latter's absolute victory out of regret and love for his son who had risen to oppose the tyrant. Dying in this act of self-sacrifice Vader's soul was placed beyond the reach of the dark gods he had served since the death of his lady love, and was rejected by the gods of light, left to wander the void as a vestige.

Manifestation: Vader rises from the seal clad in his black armor, cape hanging behind him still even in the wildest storm. His breathing can be heard, a mechanical sound, even as he speaks. As the deal is made a crack forms in Lord Vader's helmet eventually splitting and falling away to reveal either the binder him/herself or to reveal a bleached skull, its lower jaw replaced with what appears to be part of an iron golem.

Sign: A strange pneumatic pumping sound can be heard from you, as if a machine was forcefully working your lungs.

Influence: While under the influence of Lord Vader you are easily angered by incompetence, and lack of faith in higher powers. Lord Vader demands that you respond to incompetence and/or lack of faith from your allies through corporal or capital punishment.

Granted Powers: When you have Lord Vader bound he grants you powerful telekinetic abilities, a suit of dark armor which sustains the wearer, the ability to sense divine spellcasters, and his aura of menace and terror which bends lesser mortals to their knees.

Armor of the Sith: At will as a full round action, you can summon a suit of enchanted full-plate armor, which appears about your body. You are considered proficient in this armor, and it gains various abilities based upon your effective binder level.

EBLArmorMisc Effect
8th or lower+1 Full Plate+5 Competence bonus to Intimidate checks when worn.
9th-12th+2 Full-PlateNo need to breathe while worn.
13th-16th+3 Light Fortification Full-Plate-
17th-19th+5 Light Fortification Full-PlateImmunity to poison when worn.
20th+5 Moderate Fortification Full-Plate-

Sense Divine Caster: As a standard action, usable at-will, you are able to sense divine spellcasters and Jedi nearby. You can detect such characters up to 10-ft away per caster level of divine spells or Jedi level, increasing to 100-ft + 100-ft per level beyond 10th for characters with more than 10 (caster) levels. You determine the distance and direction to each such character within range. This ability is not limited by line of effect.

Telekinetic Choke: As a standard action you may bring telekinetic force to bear to choke a creature which you have line of sight and line of effect to. The target is allowed a Fortitude save to resist this effect. If they fail they may take only purely mental actions until they succeed a Fortitude save which they may make as a full round action. If they do not succeed on a save their next turn they are knocked unconscious and reduced to -1 hit points. They are allowed another save (as a free action) on their next turn, if it fails they die. A creature which does not need to breathe is immune to this effect. Once you use this ability you cannot use it again for 5 rounds.

Telekinetic Fling: As a standard action you can telekinetically hurl up to one object per 4 effective binder levels weighing a total of no more than 25 lb per ebl. This functions as the psionic power Telekinetic Thrust (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/telekineticThrust.htm) except for this change to its targets. You may use this ability at-will.

Vader's Menace: You gain an aura of fear which extends 10-ft from you. Creatures with less hit dice than you have character levels within this aura must make a Will save or be shaken for as long as they are within this aura and 3 rounds thereafter. Creatures with less than 1/3rd your hit dice are panicked instead of shaken. If a creature successfully saves against this effect they gain immunity to it for 24 hours; a creature currently affected by this ability cannot be affected by it again.

danzibr
2015-07-03, 02:23 PM
Ha, I love this. Especially the fluff. I didn't look carefully enough to comment on balance, but did notice you used suite rather than suit for armor. Now that's some big armor.

faustin
2015-07-03, 04:21 PM
I think it needs the "Summon Cool Red Lightsaber" Power.

Zaydos
2015-07-07, 04:47 PM
Ha, I love this. Especially the fluff. I didn't look carefully enough to comment on balance, but did notice you used suite rather than suit for armor. Now that's some big armor.

Fixed. I'm not sure if the fact that I said suit once and suite once makes it better or worse.

I think it needs the "Summon Cool Red Lightsaber" Power.

I went with just the armor because while the lightsaber is iconic it is something that is iconic of Sith as a whole (especially once you get into the EU... and between Shadows of the Empire and Stackpole's X-Wing novels I loved the EU as a youth) while the armor is iconic of Vader and making it (relatively) functional in game meant giving only one.

Though now I'm tempted to make a feat which lets you eek out an extra ability from your favored vestige(s) (it would require Favored Vestige, natch) and make Vader's be a lightsaber. Curses!

The prospect of the amount of work involved might beat out the idea bunny, though, unless... I could just do it for what I call my pop culture vestiges... decisions.

Jallorn
2015-07-11, 08:14 PM
I might propose a tweak to the backstory. Since the mechanics are pretty clearly Darth Vader, Lord of the Sith, and not Anakin Skywalker, redeemed, perhaps instead when Anakin casts off the mantle of Darth Vader, it splits his soul in a way that leaves Darth Vader nowhere to go, making him a vestige.