PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] I would rather see it burn than in your hands...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-04-28, 09:57 AM
This is another of a long list of creatures that I wrote years back and am upgrading them to usability.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Barkstrone

http://www.pixelparadox.com/images/forestfires.jpg

Tiny Dragon
Hit Dice: 1d12+1 (7 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 30 ft. (clumsy), climb 30 ft.
Armor Class: 22 (+4 dex, +2 size, +6 natural), touch 16, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-8
Attack: Claw +5 melee (1d4-1)
Full attack: 2 claws +5 melee (1d4-1) and bite +0 melee (1d3-1)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Barkstrone's meld, darkvision 60 ft., dragon traits, immunity to blinding, impenetrable shell, instant camouflage, low-light vision, resistance to cold and fire 5, scent
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 19, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 9
Skills: Balance +14, Climb +14, Hide +20, Jump +8, Knowledge (Nature) +6, Listen +12*, Spot +12*, Survival +8
Feats: Endurance, Track(B), Weapon Finesse(B)
Environment: Temperate or cold forest
Organization: Solitary, Mates or Pyro (12-60)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: -
Level adjustment: 2-5 HD (Tiny)

This little creature is whip-lash lean and somewhat short, with squat, thick legs with relatively very large talons made for grasping. Its scales are thick and rough, overlapping and bunching up into ridges and burls all about its body. These scales change color quickly as it moves into new surroundings.

Its wide head is broad-snouted with wide, flared nostrils and its teeth, oddly enough, are completely flat. Its eyes are very large, seemingly nocturnal, and change color with the rest of the body. Its wings appear somewhat stunted and are suited for hardly more than gliding.

A barkstrone dragon lives much like a woodland fey, prowling and guarding, but keeping to the top of the tallest trees. They are completely vegetarian in nature, feeding off of tough nuts and cones. They use their breath weapon to char off the shells of these to get at the meaty insides.

The way in which they guard their forests normally results in much of the dragon's habitat being burned down, and nor do the dragons leave during the fire, making certain the threat is killed or forced away. This results in the majority of the dragons being killed. However, their breeding cycle is dependant on this, as they do not lay eggs. The eggs are kept within, for years if neccessary, until the parent's bodies are burnt. The eggs are warmed to a neccessary heat by the embers left by the blaze which starts their formation within. These eggs can take several years to hatch, opening only once new saplings have grown from the seeds of their downed parents.

A barkstroke weighs around 30 lbs. They speak draconic and fey.

Combat
Barkstrones are very territorial creatures, but if a particulary vicious predator is seen within the forest, boundaries are forgotten and the tiny dragonettes come together as one to thwart the menace. Their most common trick is starting a forest fire that will send the menace far away.

Barkstrone's Meld (Su):
As a full-round action a barkstrone can meld physically with a tree's trunk. It can remain within for 1d6 rounds before emerging again at any portion of the tree.

Breath Weapon (Su):
A Barkstrone can release a 15 ft. cone of fire that does 1d4 damage a round (DC 11 reflex halves). It may use this cone for up to six rounds, but for every round spent it takes this long for it to work up another flame. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Impenetrable Shell (Su):
Once per day a Barkstrone's overlapping scales can shift about it and thicken over the entire form. This grants it DR 20/- as well as making it immune to critical hits. Its natural armor also increases by 4. The barkstrone cannot move while using its impenetrable shell and loses its dexterity bonus to its AC.

Instant Camouflage (Ex):
A barkstone, as a full round action, can blend in with the tones of its surroundings, granting it a +8 to hide checks. While in its forest home it can use the Hide skill even while being observed.

Spell-like Abilities:
1/day - Flare, Endure Elements, Entangle, Magic Fang, Longstrider. Caster level 1st. Save DC's are Wisdom-based.

Skills:
A barkstrone gains a +6 to balance, climb and knowledge (nature) checks and can take 10 on a climb check even if distracted or endangered. They use their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier for Climb and Jump checks.
*A barkstrone gain a +4 to spot and listen checks while in a forested area.

knightsaline
2007-04-29, 09:27 PM
you seem to have mixed up LA and Advancement.

Winged One
2007-04-29, 09:30 PM
You do realize that fire resistance 10 prevents these from ever taking damage from nonmagical fire?

jindra34
2007-04-29, 09:32 PM
this seems unchareteristic of the evil insanity of the VT

XtheYeti
2007-04-30, 07:10 AM
this seems unchareteristic of the evil insanity of the VT
im going to have to agree with J, this is a cool little monster but it lacks the usual "OH MY GOD ITS EATING MY FACE" that you are so well know for VT

Zeta Kai
2007-04-30, 10:54 AM
I suspect that VT's mood has decreased in direct proportion to the rate at which his taste for the macabre has increased. Sort of a 2E THAC0/AC ratio.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-04-30, 11:25 AM
You do realize that fire resistance 10 prevents these from ever taking damage from nonmagical fire?
Hrmmm, well, thought that a forest fire would deal more damage than normal but I see that a candle set to your clothes or a raging inferno is exactly the same.

Will adjust.

im going to have to agree with J, this is a cool little monster but it lacks the usual "OH MY GOD ITS EATING MY FACE" that you are so well know for VT
I like to think of myself as a well rounded monster maker :smallwink:

I've done quite a few good-aligned and/or non-facing-eating beasts.

I suspect that VT's mood has decreased in direct proportion to the rate at which his taste for the macabre has increased. Sort of a 2E THAC0/AC ratio.
Eh?