PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Evocationist Base Class [PEACH]

Chells
2015-07-05, 03:41 PM
My campaign is currently pretty grueling. The new guy wants to play a sorcerer but is running out of spells too often. I wanted to give him a class that like 4x/5x that allows him to maintain a magical attack regardless of how much I throw at them. So I took the spirit shaman spell mechanics and tweaked them for an arcane caster and then added a built in ability that mirrors the Reserved feats.

My question is how balanced you guys think this is? Thanks.

Evocationist

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
0lvl
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th

1st

+0

+0

+0

+1

Ignore spell failure 10%
—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

2nd

+1

+1

+1

+2

—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

3rd

+2

+1

+1

+3

—
—
—
—
—
—
—

4th

+3

+2

+2

+4

—
—
—
—
—
—
—

5th

+3

+2

+2

+5

Untapped Potential
—
—
—
—
—
—

6th

+4

+3

+3

+6

—
—
—
—
—
—

7th

+5

+3

+3

+7

—
—
—
—
—

8th

+6

+4

+4

+8

—
—
—
—
—

9th

+6

+4

+4

+9

—
—
—
—

10th

+7

+5

+5

+10

Deadly Evocation
—
—
—
—

11th

+8

+5

+5

+11

—
—
—

12th

+9

+6

+6

+12

—
—
—

13th

+9

+6

+6

+13

—
—

14th

+10

+7

+7

+14

—
—

15th

+11

+7

+7

+15

Ignore spell failure 20%
—

16th

+12

+8

+8

+16

—

17th

+12

+8

+8

+17

18th

+13

+9

+9

+18

19th

+14

+9

+9

+19

20th

+15

+10

+10

+20

Spell School Expansion

Hit Dice: d4

Class Skills: 2 + Int modifier
Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int)

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the evocationist.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Evocationist are proficient with all simple weapons and with light armor, but not with shields.

Spells: An evocationist casts arcane spells from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. He can cast any spell he has memorized from his spellbook. To memorize or cast a spell, an evocationist must have a Charisma score of at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against an evocationist’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the evocationist’s Charisma modifier.
Like other spellcasters, an evocationist can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on table above. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Charisma score. (PHB pg 8)
Like a wizard, an evocationist can build a list of spells by adding them to his spellbook. He is limited to the school of Evocation and three other schools of his choice. He may also use Universal spells. Each day an evocationist can memorize a set number of spells from his spellbook. Unlike a wizard, he does not memorize a specific spell per spell slot. The number of spells by level he can commit to memory is listed on the table below. Much like a bard or sorcerer can spontaneously cast any spell he has memorized for that day. He memorizes his spells by getting a good night’s sleep and spending 1 hour studying his spellbook. Once he has chosen a spell for the day, it cannot be changed until after another 8 hours rest and hour of preparation.
If an evocationist knows any metamagic feats, he applies them to his spells when he memorizes his spells for the day. Each version of the spell takes up one spot in the evocationist’s memory. An evocationist cannot choose to alter his spells with metamagic feats on the fly, as other spontaneous casters do. Evocationists using metamagic feats do not have an increased casting time as sorcerers do.
Spells Memorized per Day

Level
0lvl
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th

1st
—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

2nd
—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

3rd
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

4th
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

5th
—
—
—
—
—
—

6th
—
—
—
—
—
—

7th
—
—
—
—
—

8th
—
—
—
—
—

9th
—
—
—
—

10th
—
—
—
—

11th
—
—
—

12th
—
—
—

13th
—
—

14th
—
—

15th
—

16th
—

17th

18th

19th

20th

Spellbook: An evocationist must study his spellbook each day to prepare her spells. He cannot prepare any spell not recorded in his spellbook, except for read magic, which all evocationists can prepare from memory. These spells can only be from the schools he can utilize.
An evocationist begins play with a spellbook containing all 0-level sorcerer/wizard spells (from the appropriate schools) plus three 1st-level spells of his choice . For each point of Intelligence bonus the evocationist has, the spellbook holds one additional 1st-level spell of your choice. At each new evocationist level, he gains two new spells of any spell level or levels that he can cast (based on her new evocationist level) for his spellbook. At any time, an evocationist can also add spells found in other arcane spellbooks to his own (DC 15 + spell level Spellcraft check).

Ignore Spell Failure (Ex): Evocationists see themselves as arcane warriors. As an extraordinary ability, he ignores a portion of the arcane spell failure chance associated with using armor. At 1st is reduction equals 10% and increases to 20% at 15th level. An evocationist subtracts the given percentage value from his total spell failure chance, if any.

Untapped Potential (Su): An ] When an evocationist reaches 5th level, he learns how to draw upon the magic inherent in his body and soul, utilizing (but not consuming) energy from available spells to augment the caster’s magical talents. When memorizing spells, he chooses one of the following energy types; acid, cold, fire, force, lightning or sonic. As long as he has a spell of that energy type available to cast, he can make an attack with that magic as a standard action. Each energy type has its own specific effect and does 1 die of damage per spell level of the highest spell of that energy type he has available.

Energy Type
Effect
Range
Damage Die
Save
Spell Resistance

Acid
Ranged touch attack
30ft
1d6
No
No

Cold
15-foot cone-shaped burst
0ft
1d6
Reflex ½
Yes

Fire
5-foot-radius burst
30ft
1d6
Reflex ½
Yes

Force
1 missile per die
30ft
1d4+1
No
Yes

Lightning
20-foot line
0ft
1d6
Reflex ½
Yes

Sonic
Melee touch attack
0ft
1d8
No
Yes

Deadly Evocation: Evocation spells cast by a 10th level evocationist are particularly dangerous. The DC for these spells are increased by 1 and he receives a +1 bonus to overcome Spell Resistance.

Spell School Expansion: On reaching 20th level an evocationist gains access to one addition spell school of his choice.

Baron Faey
2015-07-08, 04:36 PM
I am assuming that this is meant for 3.5, so if it's not, then you can probably ignore my comments.

SHORT VERSION: I don't think it's balanced, either with other classes (since by level 20 it is similar in power to one of the best PHb classes) or with itself (since two evocationists can have quite different potential power levels). But, balance depends on a bunch of stuff that I don't know, so I've included questions about those things in the long version below.
Compared to a sorcerer, higher stats, more ability to adapt to new challenges, so stronger. Compared to a wizard, fewer options at a time, and fewer options overall, but more spells per day and higher stats, so comparable, maybe weaker. Compared to a warmage, much stronger.

COMMENT ON RUNNING OUT OF SPELLS: At low levels, I often see characters in games I run, run out of spells, but I don't see that very often at higher levels, so this problem might go away in a few levels.
Have you considered giving the character a wand/staff? or just a magic item that lets him shoot off a minor magical attack at will? A caster dealing 1d6/2 levels to a few creatures as a standard action is probably not going to break your game

GENERAL QUESTIONS 0: What level is the game you're running? What are the other players playing/What is there optimization level? What do you consider a good balance point? What houserules do you normally use in your games?

GENERAL QUESTIONS 1: Why not just use a wizard specializing in evocation (or a sorcerer, or warmage) and give it a warlock's eldrich blast feature, or granting it reserve feats as bonus feats?

SAVE PROGRESSION: is the save progression used for this class (+0.5 per level for poor, and +1 per level for good) used for all classes in your game? If it is, have you changed how ability and spell DCs are calculated? If not, why do you feel this class needs such high saves?

CLASS SKILLS: Class skill selection doesn't allow them much to do outside of combat. This could lead to the player being bored when there aren't things to blow up.
If your game is mostly combat, the player picks up a bunch of utility or non-combat spells, or skill modifiers don't matter much for your non-combat scenes, then this is fine.

SPELLS 0: For the games I run, I usually find that full casters have way more options than other classes, so I think reducing the number of spell's available at a time is good in terms of inter-class balance, but this depends on what classes other players are playing.
This still leaves the issue that they can easily change most of their class features (their spells) at will, while other classes, such as rogues or fighters cannot (since skills and feats cannot be changed or can only be changed slowly (if you use retraining rules)).

SPELLS 1: Have you done anything about the schools of magic to make them more balanced with each other? If you have not, then allowing the Evocationist to choose any three schools is not good for intra-class balance (IE two evocationists could have very different potential power levels based on their choice of schools).
Also, have you changed/banned any spells? If not, then this class still towers above non-full-casters, since it could potentially astral project, chain gate, scry-and-die, etc.

IGNORE SPELL FAILURE: This is reducing one of the arcane caster's few low-level weaknesses. At low levels I think its not such a big deal, since they don't usually overpower other classes, but at higher levels, its a minor power boost to a class that (in my opinion) already has too much power.

UNTAPPED POTENTIAL: Seems fine.

DEADLY EVOCATION: Seems fine. Does this stack with the spell focus or spell penetration feats?

SPELL SCHOOL EXPANSION: This worsens the issues mentioned in SPELLS 1, and makes this class pretty much a wizard with more BAB, more spells per day, better saves, better armor, and better evocation. It would have fewer skills, and a few less tricks (depending on schools chosen), so maybe a little weaker.

Network
2015-07-10, 01:28 PM
I would tend to agree with Baron Faey. At 20th level, the class has access to five schools of magic, and has more flexibility than the wizard yet more versatility than the sorcerer.

There are a few classes that achieve the same level (or better levels) of flexibility and versatility. I probably shouldn't need to mention that clerics (with sanctified spells), psionic characters (with Psychic Surgery or simply by being erudites), epic rainbow servants (with spontaneous access to the cleric list), and sha'ir (with their ability to prepare any sorcerer/wizard spell ever printed in a couple minutes) can do worse abuse than this class, but being better than a wizard is usually (not always, but usually) not a good thing.

And even then, this class has the same number of spell slots as a sorcerer. It isn't a spellcasting marathoner in any sense. The warlock class is Wizards' official answer to the issue, and while it technically has less flexibility and versatility than a straigth sorcerer or wizard, you are one of the best hit-and-runners there is out there (hello, eldritch blast-move-invisibility combo!), and if you really do need to get in melee you can just use an hellfire eldritch glaive to deal terrible, terrible damage.

I also suggest you take a look at my own take on the at-will blaster concept (here comes the Planar Mage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?360644-Channeling-the-power-of-the-planes-(with-subsystem-WIP))). It has about the same level of flexibility and versatility as the sorcerer, but while a warlock's abilities really are useable at will, a Planar Mage has a better dps but needs a recharge time between use of its abilities. The class will get updated soon enough with the addition of new feats, formulas, and classes, so your player should have plenty of choices to choose from when I'm done with the update.