PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder New Familiar - Alizarin Phoenix

JonathonWilder
2015-07-09, 12:08 PM
PHOENIX, ALIZARIN CR 2
A small bird with red and orange plumage perches nearby. It looks towards you with an intelligence that would surprise some, and seems to have an aura of majesty around it as though it is something to be respected.

XP 600
NG Tiny magical beast (fire)
Init +4; Senses darkvision 60 ft., detect magic, detect poison, low-light vision; Perception +5
Aura shroud of flame (2 1/2 ft., 1d2 point of fire, DC 10)

DEFENSE
AC 17, touch 16, flat footed 13 (+2 size, +4 Dex, +1 natural)
hp 11 (2d10); regeneration 2 (cold/evil)
Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +1
Defensive Abilities immolation, self resurrection; DR 5/evil; Immune fire
Weaknesses vulnerability to cold

OFFENSE
Speed 5 ft. (1 square), fly 60 ft. (perfect)
Melee 2 talons +8 (1d3 plus 1d2 fire) and bite +8 (1d4 plus 1d2 fire)
Space 2-1/2 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 2)
Constant—detect magic, detect poison
3/day—see invisibility
1/day—continual flame, cure light wounds

STATISTIC
Str 11, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 14
Base Attack +2; CMB 0; CMD 14
Feats Flyby Attack, Weapon Finesse (bite)
Skills Acrobatics +9, Fly +13, Perception +6; Racial Modifiers +4 Perception
Languages Celestial, Common

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Familiar Service (Ex)
An Alizarin phoenix can be summoned via the Improved Familiar feat by a non-evil spellcaster of 7th level or higher. Once a day as a standard action, whenever its master is reduced to 0 or fewer hit points, an alizarin phoenix familiar can transfer a number of hit points equal to its master’s wizard level to its master. Unlike other familiars, if an alizarin phoenix dies or is killed a spellcaster does not need summon a different familiar. Instead, he can gather its ashes and carry them with him for 1 week. After 1 week has passed, the master can resurrect his familiar by incorporating the ashes the summoning ritual for the same cost and time. Once the ritual is complete, the alizarin phoenix familiar immediately resurrects. If the alizarin phoenix familiar is dismissed or lost, it can still be replaced as normal. The alizarin phoenix does not gain a negative level when resurrected in this way. This ability supersedes its self-resurrecting ability.

Immolation (Su)
When an alizarin phoenix is slain, it spontaneously bursts into flame. Any creature adjacent to the alizarin phoenix takes 3d6 points of fire damage and catches on fire. A successful Fortitude save (DC 14) reduces this damage by half and prevents the target from catching on fire. Each round on the alizarin phoenix’s turn, a burning target can attempt a new save to extinguish the flames; otherwise it takes another 1d6 fire damage.

Self Resurrection (Su)
Like its greater cousin, a slain Alizarin phoenix remains dead for only a short time unless its body is completely destroyed by an effect such as disintegrate. Otherwise, a fully healed Alizarin phoenix emerges from its remains 1d4 rounds after its death, as if brought back to life via resurrection. An Alizarin phoenix gains 1 permanent negative level when this occurs. An Alizarin phoenix can self-resurrect only once per year. If an Alizarin phoenix dies a second time before that year passes, its death is permanent. An alizarin phoenix that dies within the area of a desecrate spell cannot self-resurrect until the desecrate effect ends, at which point the Alizarin phoenix immediately resurrects. An Alizarin phoenix brought back to life by other means never gains negative levels as a result.

Shroud of Flame (Su)
An alizarin phoenix can cause its feathers to burst into fire as a free action. As long as its feathers are burning, it inflicts an additional 1d2 point of fire damage with each natural attack, and any creature within reach (0 feet) must make a DC 10 Reflex save each round to avoid taking 1d2 points of fire damage at the start of its turn. A creature that attacks the phoenix with natural or non-reach melee weapons takes 1 points of fire damage (no save) with each successful hit. The save DC is Constitution-based.

ECOLOGY
Environment warm desert, forests, and hills
Organization solitary
Treasure standard

The alizarin phoenix is a cousin to the great fiery birds of legend that dwell in the deep, remote deserts of the world. Like their greater cousins, these creatures are rare, but are more commonly seen in the company of adventuring humanoids. Many keep alizarin phoenixes as pets, and since they can never truly die, this avoids the heartbreak associated with the deaths of most beloved animals.

TACTICS
Alizarin phoenixes are not often seen in combat, but when forced to engage an enemy, they fearlessly attack head on, since they do not fear death. They will often fly as close to enemies as possible, so that when they die, their slayer also takes damage from their immolation ability.

Mith
2015-07-09, 12:14 PM
Unlike others of its kind, if an alizarin phoenix familiar dies again before a year’s time has passed since its last self-resurrection, it does not permanently die.

So is the strategy with this is for the wizard and Phoenix to have a annual ritual of rebirth for the phoenix to ensure that this time limit is never exceeded?

JonathonWilder
2015-07-09, 12:31 PM
So is the strategy with this is for the wizard and Phoenix to have a annual ritual of rebirth for the phoenix to ensure that this time limit is never exceeded?
It was more there to show that dying more then once a year wont prevent it from being resurrected again, since it is a familiar and has a bond with another... but your question could actually offer an idea for an interesting roleplay opportunity. Having it so that the wizard, or other caster that can have a familiar, and phoenix complete an annual ritual of rebirth could be an idea that has a wealth of potential.

Mith
2015-07-09, 01:41 PM
I'm picturing a cool Winter Solstice ceremony with this ritual of rebirth. It doesn't have to be anything mechanical, it just adds depth to the character, and a potential hook. But if there is not any actual reason for the caster to go through the ceremony with the familiar, I guess it would be left up to the player.

JonathonWilder
2015-07-09, 02:23 PM
Well I could potentially add something in somewhere that for a wizard to keep their familiar, in showing respect for what the alizarin phoenix or to strength their bond, they join the creature in a ritual of rebirth during the Winter Solstice. It doesn't need an exact mechanic per say, but it can at least be encouraged by the fluff. I can think on it anyway and get back to you, if you feel this is a good thing to add.

So, moving on to the more pressing matter of this thread... what of balance? Perhaps you can offer a P.E.A.C.H. and given your thoughts on the homebrew as a whole, as it compares to other Improved Familiars (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/improved-familiar).

Mith
2015-07-09, 03:05 PM
I am not really familiar with familiars, but one thing I have noticed is that the damage that most familiars that do damage to targets is on the order of 2d6 or less rather then the 3d6 of fire damage. Whether that is balanced by the fact that the phoenix does not have any mind affecting spells like a lot of the other familiars appear (ex. a Cat Sith's false curse, or inflicting various penalties on enemies from a variety of familiars, etc.), I cannot say. It appears to me that familiars are supposed to be more support rather then joining the melee.

Debihuman
2015-07-11, 03:37 AM
I recommend changing the wording of Familiar Service to remove unnecessary descriptive text and putting the more important mechanics first. How a spellcaster chooses to direct the phoenix isn't necessary and places an undue burden on spellcasters who wish to use it in other ways (as it implies that they can't).The text regarding resurrection of familiars is standard. Taking a creature as a familiar is an extraordinary ability while taking a bonded object is a spell-like ability (see PRD, wizard). Note too that if a wizard is resurrecting the phoenix,the phoenix is not "self-resurrecting." These are two different things. Also the text for resurrecting a familiar is different from a bonded object and you used the wording as if it were a bonded object.

Is "Alizarin" named for a person or place? If so, it should be capitalized. Regular phoenixes have greater restoration as a spell-like ability. Note that this does not. References to that spell should be removed from self-resurrection as a result.

Familiar Service (Ex) An Alizarin phoenix can be summoned via the Improved Familiar feat by a non-evil spellcaster of 7th level or higher. Once a day as a standard action, whenever its master is reduced to 0 or fewer hit points, an alizarin phoenix familiar can transfer a number of hit points equal to its master’s wizard level to its master. If an Alizarin phoenix familiar is dismissed, lost or dies, it can be replaced 1 week later through a specialized ritual that costs 200 gp per wizard level. The ritual takes 8 hours to complete. This ability supercedes its self-resurrecting ability.

Self Resurrection (Su)
Like its greater cousin, a slain Alizarin phoenix remains dead for only a short time unless its body is completely destroyed by an effect such as disintegrate. Otherwise, a fully healed Alizarin phoenix emerges from its remains 1d4 rounds after its death, as if brought back to life via resurrection. An Alizarin phoenix gains 1 permanent negative level when this occurs. An Alizarin phoenix can self-resurrect only once per year. If an Alizarin phoenix dies a second time before that year passes, its death is permanent. An alizarin phoenix that dies within the area of a desecrate spell cannot self-resurrect until the desecrate effect ends, at which point the Alizarin phoenix immediately resurrects. An Alizarin phoenix brought back to life by other means never gains negative levels as a result.

Debby

JonathonWilder
2015-07-13, 08:45 PM
I am not really familiar with familiars, but one thing I have noticed is that the damage that most familiars that do damage to targets is on the order of 2d6 or less rather then the 3d6 of fire damage. Whether that is balanced by the fact that the phoenix does not have any mind affecting spells like a lot of the other familiars appear (ex. a Cat Sith's false curse, or inflicting various penalties on enemies from a variety of familiars, etc.), I cannot say. It appears to me that familiars are supposed to be more support rather then joining the melee.
It is for a number of reasons, one of which is because they don't offer mind affecting spells. I could perhaps bring it down, though I do believe remembering that some improved familiars offer a 3d6 attack.

I recommend changing the wording of Familiar Service to remove unnecessary descriptive text and putting the more important mechanics first. How a spellcaster chooses to direct the phoenix isn't necessary and places an undue burden on spellcasters who wish to use it in other ways (as it implies that they can't).The text regarding resurrection of familiars is standard. Taking a creature as a familiar is an extraordinary ability while taking a bonded object is a spell-like ability (see PRD, wizard). Note too that if a wizard is resurrecting the phoenix,the phoenix is not "self-resurrecting." These are two different things. Also the text for resurrecting a familiar is different from a bonded object and you used the wording as if it were a bonded object.

Is "Alizarin" named for a person or place? If so, it should be capitalized. Regular phoenixes have greater restoration as a spell-like ability. Note that this does not. References to that spell should be removed from self-resurrection as a result.

Familiar Service (Ex) An Alizarin phoenix can be summoned via the Improved Familiar feat by a non-evil spellcaster of 7th level or higher. Once a day as a standard action, whenever its master is reduced to 0 or fewer hit points, an alizarin phoenix familiar can transfer a number of hit points equal to its master’s wizard level to its master. If an Alizarin phoenix familiar is dismissed, lost or dies, it can be replaced 1 week later through a specialized ritual that costs 200 gp per wizard level. The ritual takes 8 hours to complete. This ability supercedes its self-resurrecting ability.

Self Resurrection (Su)

Debby

Hmm, the problem is I purposefully wanted the familiar to be able to 'resurrect' after death... though using the same mechanics as summoning a new familiar when the old dies. Allowing the spellcaster to regain the service of the same familiar even though it had been killed, instead of gaining a new one.

I am thankful for your revisions, you did clean them up, I just won't be able to 'copy and paste' your suggestions in full. I will consider your words and consider something more concise.

The name I has something to do with the color red or fire if I remember, it is mostly there separate it from 'vanilla' phoenixes.