PDA

View Full Version : Air & Earth Genasi power improvements (peach)

eleazzaar
2015-07-09, 02:07 PM
Genasi Fixes

While the Genasi are conceptually interesting, they are a mixed lot mechanically.

My assessment is that the Air and Earth genasi are noticeably weak, while the Fire and Water are roughly around average power. And the Earth Genasi’s powers don't match the concept well-- skillful sneaking would be one of the last things you would think of for a partly earth elemental being.

And why the lack of Gust and Mold Earth? These cantrips practically have "This was designed to give to an elemental character" written all over them, but the Air and Earth Genasi do not get any cantrips.

So the following alterations are intended to bring the Air and Earth Genasi up to parity with the other Genasi, and PC races in general. I'm a bit concerned that I may have overdone it with the Earth Genasi. Thoughts?

The idea for “Whisper on a Breeze” is from Artisan_Mechanicum.

Traits
Base Race. See the Elemental Evil Player’s Companion p. 7 for the lore and traits of the base Genasi race. Spells found in this companion have the notation “(EE)”.

Air Genasi
Ability Score Increase. (unchanged)

Unending Breath. (unchanged)

Mingle with the Wind. You know the gust (EE) cantrip. You can cast the levitate spell once with this trait, requiring no material components, and you regain the ability to cast it this way when you finish a long rest. Constitution is your spellcasting ability for this spell.

Whisper on the Breeze. You can subtly guide the wind currents to better eavesdrop on a distant or whispered words. You gain advantage on Wisdom (Perception) rolls to understand voices you can hear as long as air can freely flow between you and the speakers.

Earth Genasi
Ability Score Increase. (unchanged)

Earth Walk. (unchanged)

Merge with Stone. You know the mold earth (EE) cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the earth tremor (EE) spell once with this trait as a 1st-level spell, and you regain the ability to cast it this way when you finish a long rest. Constitution is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

Stand Your Ground. You gain advantage Strength saving throws and ability checks to resist being shoved, knocked prone, or otherwise moved against your will while standing on stone, soil, brick, sand, or other forms of earth.

Underworld’s Secrets. You gain advantage on rolls to find hidden spaces and passages in caves.

Thomasd851
2016-01-12, 01:24 AM
I thought the Air Genasi improvements were spot on. I am using them in my current campaign and they balance well with everyone else yet also shine in their own way.

The Earth Gensai seems all good untill the final ability...It seems thematic but also very situational and somewhat odd
Maybe something like the Stonecunning ability or being able to touch a kind of stone or metal and work out what it is composed of and advantage on Intelligence (History) checks to identify what region/where it came from.

MasterMercury
2016-01-20, 10:38 PM
The Fire and Water Genasi both get a resistance to a damage type (fire and acid), the spells, and another utility bit. I think the other two could be closer to the original. Your spells are solid, but maybe you could trade out the other ability for a restistance?

Maybe Lighning and Thunder for air( two uncommon damage types, from surviving the storms of the air plane) And for earth, poison resistance( you can't poison a rock)

That's just my two cents, as someone who wants to be a bouldarian (Boulder barbarian)