PDA

View Full Version : Could this character concept work?

Thrathgnar
2015-07-10, 12:16 PM
Hello friends! So I am a huge fan of the Fate series, and there is one character that I would like to make for DM and playing purposes. In Fate he is called Gilgamesh, and he is basically able to launch a variety of weapons at his opponent. My character concept is someone who travels the land collecting magic items to add to his collection that he can use in battle. My question is, if there are mechanics that would work for a character focused on firing swords at his enemies? I was thinking the psion class, but it isn't fully released, and I don't think wizard spells would cut it. I will probably have to homebrew this. Thoughts?

Madfellow
2015-07-10, 12:25 PM
Cleric might work, with their Spiritual Weapon spell. You could homebrew a spell Conjure Construct in order to summon flying swords.

Thrathgnar
2015-07-10, 12:29 PM
Cleric might work, with their Spiritual Weapon spell.

I like it for the normal firing of weapons, but it doesn't account for collected magic items. I figured telekinesis would be the best way to go, which is why i was thinking psion

Ralanr
2015-07-10, 12:35 PM
I like it for the normal firing of weapons, but it doesn't account for collected magic items. I figured telekinesis would be the best way to go, which is why i was thinking psion

Well enough wizard levels could give you that spell. Abjuration could work.

I don't know much about the fates series, but most of the characters don't seem too difficult. Gilgamesh is sadly a difficult one.

And the released psion doesn't have telekinesis.

GiantOctopodes
2015-07-10, 12:39 PM
Animate objects would work nicely. By RAW it only works with nonmagical objects, but it can serve as a great foundation, I'd talk with your DM and see where you can go from there. Eldritch Knight or Warlock both have great weapon based themes, and could serve as a great starting platform. For that matter, you could modify Ranger (beastmaster -or- Hunter, Volley in particular seems appropriate to the ability in question and your magic item collection could be your "beast". No matter what, it's going to take some work with your DM to make it happen.

Thrathgnar
2015-07-10, 01:17 PM
Well enough wizard levels could give you that spell. Abjuration could work.

I don't know much about the fates series, but most of the characters don't seem too difficult. Gilgamesh is sadly a difficult one.

And the released psion doesn't have telekinesis.

Makes sense

Thrathgnar
2015-07-10, 01:18 PM
Animate objects would work nicely. By RAW it only works with nonmagical objects, but it can serve as a great foundation, I'd talk with your DM and see where you can go from there. Eldritch Knight or Warlock both have great weapon based themes, and could serve as a great starting platform. For that matter, you could modify Ranger (beastmaster -or- Hunter, Volley in particular seems appropriate to the ability in question and your magic item collection could be your "beast". No matter what, it's going to take some work with your DM to make it happen.

Wow those are all great ideas, I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

EvanescentHero
2015-07-10, 01:23 PM
Be a wizard or sorcerer, and make heavy use of the Elemental Evil spell catapult.

Ralanr
2015-07-10, 01:29 PM
Be a wizard or sorcerer, and make heavy use of the Elemental Evil spell catapult.

I keep forgetting that spell is a thing! XD

Easy_Lee
2015-07-10, 01:38 PM
Wizard is the way to go, you just have to get creative with your spells.

Levitation: lift a container full of caltrops, ball bearings, burning pitch, and various weapons over your enemies' heads, then drop on them.
Mage Hand: see above.
Gust of Wind: set up a roll of throwing knives, use Gust of Wind to chuck them all at once and also push your enemies.
Telekinesis and Animate Objects: obviously.

EvanescentHero
2015-07-10, 01:42 PM
I keep forgetting that spell is a thing! XD

Because it's hilarious and ridiculous, but it's actually pretty good, especially for this concept. At first level it's up to five pounds and 3d8 damage. So you start out flinging daggers or shortswords or spears (I think those are all light enough, AFB). Then for every slot above first it's an extra five pounds and an extra d8.

Bonus points if you play a sorcerer and take the Favored Soul bloodline, thus allowing yourself access to spiritual weapon as well (again, I think).

Ralanr
2015-07-10, 01:46 PM
Because it's hilarious and ridiculous, but it's actually pretty good, especially for this concept. At first level it's up to five pounds and 3d8 damage. So you start out flinging daggers or shortswords or spears (I think those are all light enough, AFB). Then for every slot above first it's an extra five pounds and an extra d8.

Bonus points if you play a sorcerer and take the Favored Soul bloodline, thus allowing yourself access to spiritual weapon as well (again, I think).

Most weapons are about 4lbs max. There are some that go past 10, but that's not an issue.

This build might also be an excuse for Mordenkainen's sword Nope. Still not a good excuse of a level seven slot unless you really really want it.

EvanescentHero
2015-07-10, 01:53 PM
Most weapons are about 4lbs max. There are some that go past 10, but that's not an issue.

This build might also be an excuse for Mordenkainen's sword Nope. Still not a good excuse of a level seven slot unless you really really want it.

The party fighter will probably feel weird about the sorcerer carrying around ten times the weaponry he or she has, but whatever. Get some bags of holding or a pack animal to carry it and you're good.

I really like this idea, actually. I might use it myself.

Thrathgnar
2015-07-10, 02:04 PM
Ok, so a here is a level 20 wizard build

13 weapons via catapult for level 1-4 spells

118 weapons via animate objects for level 5-9 spells

Arcane recovery gives back all animate object slots and 1 catapult slot

So total, that's 250 weapons to fire a day, 14 are "special" (catapult does more damage than animated objects), catapult can fire one weapon a turn and animate objects can fire 10+ depending on the slot (and both can be done at the same time since animate objects is a bonus action)

Any mistakes or changes that should be fixed or made?

Ralanr
2015-07-10, 02:10 PM
Ok, so a here is a level 20 wizard build

13 weapons via catapult for level 1-4 spells

118 weapons via animate objects for level 5-9 spells

Arcane recovery gives back all animate object slots and 1 catapult slot

So total, that's 250 weapons to fire a day, 14 are "special" (catapult does more damage than animated objects), catapult can fire one weapon a turn and animate objects can fire 10+ depending on the slot (and both can be done at the same time since animate objects is a bonus action)

Any mistakes or changes that should be fixed or made?

Drawing weapons is a part of the movement action right?

Cause if not, you're going to have to neatly set all those weapons up before combat.

Thrathgnar
2015-07-10, 02:13 PM
Drawing weapons is a part of the movement action right?

Cause if not, you're going to have to neatly set all those weapons up before combat.

I would have to ask the DM if I could keep them all in a bag of holding, and then use the spells to draw them out. The way i want it to work flavor wise is I'm just shooting them out of another dimension, but I'm trying to see how close I can get with a legit build

Paeleus
2015-07-10, 04:07 PM

Especially this, but remember that the object you throw also takes 3d8 damage, ya know if the dm rules it that way.

Thrathgnar
2015-07-10, 04:17 PM
Especially this, but remember that the object you throw also takes 3d8 damage, ya know if the dm rules it that way.

Ohh I didn't see that... I wonder what the hp of magic items would be?

EvanescentHero
2015-07-10, 07:03 PM
Ohh I didn't see that... I wonder what the hp of magic items would be?

Magic items are generally difficult to break through ordinary means. Personally I would ignore the item getting damaged because I think it's silly, especially if you want to build a character around it.

Ralanr
2015-07-10, 07:17 PM
Weapons don't really have a hardness or durability anymore. If it breaks it breaks, there is no hit point.

This is why I think second bear totem has hilarious uses. Such as taking an enemy's weapon and breaking it right in front of him.

Thrathgnar
2015-07-10, 07:17 PM
Magic items are generally difficult to break through ordinary means. Personally I would ignore the item getting damaged because I think it's silly, especially if you want to build a character around it.

True true... I think my DM would be fine with it. Someone in the homebrew forum made a prestige class version which he approved of, I'm currently making a base class form for fun that I'm going to send to him to see if he likes that one

JNAProductions
2015-07-10, 08:18 PM
You're welcome. Link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?427043-Gilgamesh-Class-Help-balancing) to the thread.

Thrathgnar
2015-07-10, 09:18 PM
You're welcome. Link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?427043-Gilgamesh-Class-Help-balancing) to the thread.

Thanks again for that! It was really helpful, and I stored it away for safekeeping for when I make my character

DracoKnight
2015-07-11, 04:00 AM

I never got why the hell that spell is a 7th level spell! It's only 3d10! Seriously! A 7th level Fireball serves you better :P

FatherLiir
2015-07-11, 02:33 PM
A bit hard to jam in to the whole "wizard" concept going on, but perhaps a Warlock Pact of the Blade? Just throw the sword, then materialize a spear, then a glaive.

Ralanr
2015-07-11, 02:41 PM
A bit hard to jam in to the whole "wizard" concept going on, but perhaps a Warlock Pact of the Blade? Just throw the sword, then materialize a spear, then a glaive.

Takes an action to create the weapon.

Rhaegar14
2015-07-11, 05:11 PM
Yeah, the better way to do it with Warlock is just refluff your Eldritch Blasts to weaponry, but that doesn't really work with the idea of collecting physical weapons.

I actually just finished Fate/Zero on Netflix a week or so ago. Gilgamesh's powerset is far and away the hardest one to model in D&D if you really want the physical items.

Oh, and good luck with the Sword of Disruption. I don't think that's a thing that even high-level Wizards can approximate anymore.

Ralanr
2015-07-11, 05:17 PM
What's that weapon do? Don't own the dmg.