PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [Magic Weapon] Dagger of Dispelling (Name Not Final)

Kadzar
2015-07-16, 02:53 AM
Dagger of Dispelling or Spellbane Dagger or Spellrending Dagger or Spellbreaker Blade
Weapon, rare (requires attunement)

You gain a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon.
The dagger has 7 charges. While wielding the dagger, you can use an action to cast dispel magic or a reaction to cast counterspell. For 1 charge, you cast the third level version of either spell. You can increase the spell slot level by one for each additional charge you expend. You must make a melee or ranged attack with the dagger to hit the target of either type of spell (if your target has no AC, make an attack against AC 10). If thrown, the dagger returns to your hand immediately afterwards if you have expended at least 1 charge to cast a spell. You may also use Dexterity in place of a spellcasting ability to make the ability check for either spell.
The dagger regains 1d6+1 expended charges daily at dawn. If you expend the dagger's last charge, roll a d20. On a 1, it flashes with light like the last spell it suppressed and becomes non-magical.

So I'd like a few opinions on this thing. First of all, the name, if you like any of them better than the others or can think of a better one. At first it was just called a Dagger of Dispelling, but I didn't think that's right, since it does a bit more than dispel.

Second, and more importantly, I'm looking toward balance. I'm aiming to make this thing a rare-level rarity, and I'm not sure how I did. I decided to add in a +2 bonus, even though it's got the ability to cast spells, since I figured they're not the kind that help with your damage, and it's otherwise a waste of an attunement when you're not going up against anything magical. With good enough arguments I might be persuaded to lower it down to a +1 or possibly even just base magical weapon.

I'm also wondering if the charges seem right. I most based that part off the Wand of Lightning Bolts, since that also casts a 3rd level spell.

I don't know for sure if the counterspell ability is a good idea. Like I said, the weapon was originally just about dispelling, but I thought it seemed appropriate to add in counterspell since it didn't seem to far off thematically, and it adds some versatility (though I don't know if such versatility is needed).

I put in the attack roll thing partly for balance and partly because I felt it was thematically appropriate with this weapon to make attacks against spells. The returning after throwing when casting a spell is so that it doesn't just clatter to the floor after dispelling an area spell, which would be lame.

And, lastly, the ability to use Dexterity instead of a spellcasting ability for the spells' ability checks was to make it viable for non-casters, especially Rogues, who don't seem to have too many options when it comes to magical daggers. And, I'm not going to lie, I most likely stole the idea from the Rainbow Knife in the Gaia webcomic (http://www.sandraandwoo.com/gaia/2013/03/01/shadowdancers-087/), so being able to use Dexterity with the thing to overcome a magical effect seemed most appropriate to me.

ImSAMazing
2015-07-16, 03:22 AM
Dagger of Dispelling or Spellbane Dagger or Spellrending Dagger or Spellbreaker Blade
Weapon, rare (requires attunement)

You gain a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon.
The dagger has 7 charges. While wielding the dagger, you can use an action to cast dispel magic or a reaction to cast counterspell. For 1 charge, you cast the third level version of either spell. You can increase the spell slot level by one for each additional charge you expend. You must make a melee or ranged attack with the dagger to hit the target of either type of spell (if your target has no AC, make an attack against AC 10). If thrown, the dagger returns to your hand immediately afterwards if you have expended at least 1 charge to cast a spell. You may also use Dexterity in place of a spellcasting ability to make the ability check for either spell.
The dagger regains 1d6+1 expended charges daily at dawn. If you expend the dagger's last charge, roll a d20. On a 1, it flashes with light like the last spell it suppressed and becomes non-magical.

So I'd like a few opinions on this thing. First of all, the name, if you like any of them better than the others or can think of a better one. At first it was just called a Dagger of Dispelling, but I didn't think that's right, since it does a bit more than dispel.

Second, and more importantly, I'm looking toward balance. I'm aiming to make this thing a rare-level rarity, and I'm not sure how I did. I decided to add in a +2 bonus, even though it's got the ability to cast spells, since I figured they're not the kind that help with your damage, and it's otherwise a waste of an attunement when you're not going up against anything magical. With good enough arguments I might be persuaded to lower it down to a +1 or possibly even just base magical weapon.

I'm also wondering if the charges seem right. I most based that part off the Wand of Lightning Bolts, since that also casts a 3rd level spell.

I don't know for sure if the counterspell ability is a good idea. Like I said, the weapon was originally just about dispelling, but I thought it seemed appropriate to add in counterspell since it didn't seem to far off thematically, and it adds some versatility (though I don't know if such versatility is needed).

I put in the attack roll thing partly for balance and partly because I felt it was thematically appropriate with this weapon to make attacks against spells. The returning after throwing when casting a spell is so that it doesn't just clatter to the floor after dispelling an area spell, which would be lame.

And, lastly, the ability to use Dexterity instead of a spellcasting ability for the spells' ability checks was to make it viable for non-casters, especially Rogues, who don't seem to have too many options when it comes to magical daggers. And, I'm not going to lie, I most likely stole the idea from the Rainbow Knife in the Gaia webcomic (http://www.sandraandwoo.com/gaia/2013/03/01/shadowdancers-087/), so being able to use Dexterity with the thing to overcome a magical effect seemed most appropriate to me.
You know that this Dagger could stop a lvl 9 spell? Each day? That is way to strong. I'd make it Very Rare.

Amechra
2015-07-16, 11:59 AM
Someone sharpened Rule Breaker? (http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Rule_Breaker)

Excellent.