PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Imp Player Race - PEACH

DracoKnight
2015-07-17, 03:14 AM
Imp

Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 2 and your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Age. Imps reach maturity at around 5, and live for an unknown amount of time.
Alignment. Imps don't necessarily end up evil, but they have a strong tendency towards it.
Size. You stand between 2 and 3 feet tall. Your size is Small.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light as if it were bright light for 60 feet, and in darkness as if it was dim light. You cannot discern color, only shades of gray.
Demonic Wings. You have a fly speed of 35. To use this speed you can't be wearing medium or heavy armor. Any armor you are wearing must be made to accommodate your wings.
Hellish Resistance. You have resistance to fire damage.
Shapechanger. As an imp, you can use your action to polymorph into a beast form that resembles a Rat (Tiny, speed 20ft.), a Raven (Tiny, speed 20ft., fly 60ft.), or a spider (Tiny, speed 20ft., climb 20ft.), or back into your true form. Your statistics don't change except as noted. You retain the ability to speak while polymorphed, but you cannot cast spells or make attack rolls. Gear that you are carrying does not transform with you, but gear that you are wearing does. You revert to your true form after an hour, or if you die.
Trickster. In general, the populace of many worlds within the material plane will distrust you on principle. You have disadvantage on all Persuasion and Deception checks against anyone in the world who is aligned Lawful or Neutral Good. If you fail a Persuasion or Deception check, once per long rest you may make an Insight check on that creature. This Insight check will cancel out your disadvantage on that creature the next time you make a Persuasion or Deception check.
Type. You are a fiend.
Languages. You can read, write, and speak Common and Infernal.

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-17, 05:57 AM
Sounds cool, the shapechange can be dangerous, but in fact it's balanced.

JNAProductions
2015-07-17, 10:08 AM
Flight and Shapechanging? This is maybe balanced, but is definitely one of those races that needs to come with a "Ask your DM" label.

PotatoGolem
2015-07-17, 10:58 AM
I'd assume playing as a demon in general is a big "ask your DM" area. But you may want some limits on flight- IIRC, even the birdmen have limits on what they can wear/carry while flying. At least making them small sort of reduces the grappling flyer shenanigans that really make birdmen abusable.

eleazzaar
2015-07-17, 12:04 PM
I don't think it is ballanced. Compare to the EE birdman (i hate trying to remember how to spell that name :smallyuk: ).

It gets flight at a rate of 50-feet, with armor limitations and nothing else of significance. There may be no clear consensus, but many people consider it overpowered.

But this Imp is much better. At the cost of an action, the Imp gets a fly speed of 60 feet-- better than the birdman, has no armor limitations, and various other nice traits.

You need to specify what happens to carried items when polymorphed and weather it can spellcast, since this is clearly a custom form of polymorph, and the Imps shapechange and the spell work differently, and "Your statistics don't change except as noted." could be read to imply that nothing changed except movement, and physical appearance.

Torched Forever
2015-07-17, 12:40 PM
Imp

Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 2 and your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Age. Imps reach maturity at around 5, and live for an unknown amount of time.
Alignment. Imps don't necessarily end up evil, but they have a strong tendency towards it.
Size. You stand between 2 and 3 feet tall. Your size is Small.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light as if it were bright light for 60 feet, and in darkness as if it was dim light. You cannot discern color, only shades of gray.
Demonic Wings. You have a fly speed of 35.
Hellish Resistance. You have resistance to fire damage.
Shapechanger. As an imp, you can use your action to polymorph into a beast form that resembles a Rat (speed 20ft.), a Raven (speed 20ft., fly 60ft.), or a spider (speed 20ft., climb 20ft.), or back into your true form. Your statistics don't change except as noted. You revert to your true form if you die.
Type. You are a fiend.
Languages. You can read, write, and speak Common and Infernal.
This is basically making the birdlock problem worse. A large Charisma bonus and a greater fly speed is a recipe for disaster. Demonic wings and shape changer present the largest problems. I'll break the features down for ya.
ASIs A little better than Tieflings' (what I'll be balancing against) as Dex is more useful to Cha casters than Int
Size Means that you are worse in melee (grappling and no heavy weapons)
Darkvision Same as Tieflings' and not a huge trait
Demonic Wings A racial fly speed. While it is not very fast, it still allows you to snipe from 300 feet in the air with EB at 2nd level. However, a good DM can keep this balanced.
Hellish Resistance Same as Tieflings' and actually pretty good based on how often fire comes up.
Shapechanger Oh my. First of all, not all of the forms are balanced. I'm a little confused how your are still small sized in these forms ("statistics don't change except as noted"). The rat and spider get outclassed by the 60ft. fly speed of the raven and show no real advantage. Finally, you can have a 60ft. fly speed for as long as you like. This is worse than birdmen and even with a good DM you are still faster than the rest of your party.

Some reworking of the forms, duration/per day limits on shapechanger, and maybe a ribbon/effect that represents the fear/hatred of being a fiend I think would improve the race. I love the idea of it though!

DracoKnight
2015-07-17, 12:55 PM
I don't think it is ballanced. Compare to the EE birdman (i hate trying to remember how to spell that name :smallyuk: ).

It gets flight at a rate of 50-feet, with armor limitations and nothing else of significance. There may be no clear consensus, but many people consider it overpowered.

But this Imp is much better. At the cost of an action, the Imp gets a fly speed of 60 feet-- better than the birdman, has no armor limitations, and various other nice traits.

You need to specify what happens to carried items when polymorphed and weather it can spellcast, since this is clearly a custom form of polymorph, and the Imps shapechange and the spell work differently, and "Your statistics don't change except as noted." could be read to imply that nothing changed except movement, and physical appearance.

There was supposed to be an armor limitation, but I made this write up really late at night. Thank you for catching that :)

This is basically making the birdlock problem worse. A large Charisma bonus and a greater fly speed is a recipe for disaster. Demonic wings and shape changer present the largest problems. I'll break the features down for ya.
ASIs A little better than Tieflings' (what I'll be balancing against) as Dex is more useful to Cha casters than Int
Size Means that you are worse in melee (grappling and no heavy weapons)
Darkvision Same as Tieflings' and not a huge trait
Demonic Wings A racial fly speed. While it is not very fast, it still allows you to snipe from 300 feet in the air with EB at 2nd level. However, a good DM can keep this balanced.
Hellish Resistance Same as Tieflings' and actually pretty good based on how often fire comes up.
Shapechanger Oh my. First of all, not all of the forms are balanced. I'm a little confused how your are still small sized in these forms ("statistics don't change except as noted"). The rat and spider get outclassed by the 60ft. fly speed of the raven and show no real advantage. Finally, you can have a 60ft. fly speed for as long as you like. This is worse than birdmen and even with a good DM you are still faster than the rest of your party.

Some reworking of the forms, duration/per day limits on shapechanger, and maybe a ribbon/effect that represents the fear/hatred of being a fiend I think would improve the race. I love the idea of it though!

Oops. I meant to note in the parenthesis that the animal forms were Tiny. And I literally took the forms that it gets in the MM, and since I didn't give it the Natural Weapons in the MM, this is intended to be more of an RP/Ribbon ability, but I have thought of a couple of minor battlefield applications :P

I added a feature to display the world's fear/hatred of fiends :)

Ziegander
2015-07-17, 01:12 PM
Sorry man, this is WAAAAY better than the Aarocockra player race, considered by many to be unbalanced itself, so you really need to tone this thing down considerably or scrap it entirely.

DracoKnight
2015-07-17, 01:13 PM
Updated the OP with everyone's suggestions.

JNAProductions
2015-07-17, 01:14 PM
Oh, one other note-you can still attack and cast spells while shapechanged. That's a little broken.

DracoKnight
2015-07-17, 01:20 PM
Shapechanger. As an imp, you can use your action to polymorph into a beast form that resembles a Rat (Tiny, speed 20ft.), a Raven (Tiny, speed 20ft., fly 60ft.), or a spider (Tiny, speed 20ft., climb 20ft.), or back into your true form. Your statistics don't change except as noted. You retain the ability to talk while polymorphed, but you cannot cast spells. Gear that you are carrying does not transform with you, but gear that you are wearing does. You revert to your true form after an hour, or if you die.

Oh, one other note-you can still attack and cast spells while shapechanged. That's a little broken.

I saw that too, and fixed it! :D

JNAProductions
2015-07-17, 01:40 PM
Monk unarmed attacks still work when shapechanged. How about this instead:

"You transform into an ordinary animal. While transformed, you may not use any class abilities." or something like that

Ziegander
2015-07-17, 01:44 PM
Monk unarmed attacks still work when shapechanged. How about this instead:

"You transform into an ordinary animal. While transformed, you may not use any class abilities." or something like that

Even with that change the Imp would still be arguably better than the Aarocokra.

DracoKnight
2015-07-17, 04:43 PM
Updated the OP. You cannot cast spells or make attack rolls while you are Shapechanged.

Torched Forever
2015-07-18, 09:31 AM
Seems better now. Imp players will not constantly be shapechanged and their flying is limited. In its current state the race looks balanced, good job.

eleazzaar
2015-07-18, 10:31 AM
You revert to your true form after an hour,
At best a slight inconvenience, you can change right back with an action.