PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Michael's Specific Warlock Patron #3: Archduke Mammon, Lord of the Third

Michael7123
2015-07-18, 03:36 PM
I love the themes the warlock class bring to the table. Any character who wound up pledging himself to some sort of mysterious (Great old one), downright weird (Archfey), or devil (Fiend) will almost always have some sort of interesting backstory which is fun to explore in game.

However, the warlock subclasses in of themselves are pretty limited. Playing a warlock of Dagon, a demon lord of the abyss who resides in water, gives you the same classic "kill them all with fire" benefits as playing a warlock of Asmodeus. This is my attempt to change this.

I plan on designing specific warlock subclasses for the lords of the Nine Hells before moving on to other patrons (both fiendish or otherwise).

Mammon, Lord of Minauros

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d4/7e/e2/d47ee2797838ea41156b7436f4ac6304.jpg
Ohhhh! Shiny!

Expanded Spell list:

Spell Level
Spells

1st
Fog Cloud, Entangle

2nd
Heat Metal, Melf's Acid Arrow

3rd
Tongues, Stinking Cloud

4th
Polymorph, Greater Invisibility

5th
Cloudkill, Animate objects

Pact features:

Devil's Tongue
Starting at level 1, when entering into negotiations about material wealth, add double your proficiency modifier to intimidation, deception, or persuasion rolls. In addition, you gain proficiency in these skills if you didn't have proficiency in them already.

Goldsight
Starting at level 6th you automatically know the value of any piece of material, non magical wealth just by looking at it. Furthermore, you can know what value of wealth any creature has on his person by looking at him, even if you cant actually see the gold, gems, etc that the creature is wearing. Furthermore, if a humanoid has over 1,000 GP of wealth on his or her person while you attack them, you gain advantage on attack rolls against them. If an humanoid has less than 5 GP of wealth on them, you take disadvantage on attacks against them.

Great Temptation
Starting at level 10, you can cast Mass suggestion as a 6th level spell once per day.

Midas Touch
Starting at level 14, you can cast "flesh to stone" once every long rest. The spell functions identically to flesh to stone, except that the target is turned to solid gold instead of stone. This golden statue can be sold to (very, very wealthy) merchants at a price determined by the DM.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you ever use this class in a game, please post a link to the game in this thread or send me a pm telling me how this class performed. Any tips you can offer are helpful!

Michael7123
2015-07-18, 03:37 PM
Mammon's a bit of an anomaly among devils, in as much as he's less interested in obtaining souls than he is in obtaining material wealth. As such, this warlock class is largely built around the creation and gathering of gold and other shiny things. Considering that this is the goal of about half of the PC's in D&D, you shouldn't have much trouble working this character into your campaign :smalltongue:

This patron can honestly work well with any warlock type. The only truly vital stat required is a high charisma, and that should already be high if you're playing a warlock.

Belac93
2015-07-18, 04:28 PM
I'd like to see more of these, they're awesome

PotatoGolem
2015-07-18, 06:33 PM
Goldsight seems too weak to be the only 6th level ability. It's very flavorful, but it's a ribbon. I'd either make it stronger or give an additional 6th level ability

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-07-18, 06:40 PM
Expertise in three skills seems a little OTT at level 1, particularly seeing as you're giving those skills away for free as well (As anyone remotely interested in optimising taking this class at game start is going to put their other skills elsewhere - ). In fact, this makes a Mammon Warlock probably the best skillmonkey at level 1.

The Tyler
2015-07-18, 07:57 PM
Goldsight seems too weak to be the only 6th level ability. It's very flavorful, but it's a ribbon. I'd either make it stronger or give an additional 6th level ability

Maybe some kind of penalty to being attacked by someone below a certain wealth threshold? Or a bonus to attacking someone over it? Both if they're small bonuses?

Expertise in three skills seems a little OTT at level 1, particularly seeing as you're giving those skills away for free as well (As anyone remotely interested in optimising taking this class at game start is going to put their other skills elsewhere - ). In fact, this makes a Mammon Warlock probably the best skillmonkey at level 1.

Even with just the skill proficiencies, I think it's too powerful. My suggestion would be reduce it to just Deception and Persuasion, at least as a start. The devils are more about bargains and contracts, so I think those two fit better thematically.

Michael7123
2015-07-18, 10:32 PM
Maybe some kind of penalty to being attacked by someone below a certain wealth threshold? Or a bonus to attacking someone over it? Both if they're small bonuses?

Regarding the above idea, I think I'll work something like that into the class.

Regarding all of your criticism's of the first ability: you only gain the expertise when you are talking about monetary transactions. Having said that, the ability does seem a bit much for first level now that I think about it more. I'll think on a way to solve this problem.

Flashy
2015-07-18, 11:06 PM
I really think the 10th level ability should be changed. Handing out spells before the standard progression would allow anyone else to cast them is a HUGE deal, especially when you're also essentially granting a bonus 6th level slot. I know it's flavorful, but this warlock is going to functionally have more high level slots than any other caster from 10th through 12th level.

Steampunkette
2015-07-19, 03:05 AM
Warlock of the Blessex Excheque, love it!

http://rickbrinkman.com/blog_images/rules-aquisition.jpg

Michael7123
2015-07-19, 04:19 PM
Decided to give advantage on attack rolls against opponents with over 1,000 gp worth of wealth on their person, and disadvantage when you face people with less than 5 gp of wealth (to discourage murderhoboing more than anything else.)

Ziegander
2015-07-19, 04:23 PM
I don't know about that. That sounds like an almost crippling disadvantage in the average campaign. Very few non- humanoids carry material wealth of any kind.

Michael7123
2015-07-19, 04:26 PM
I don't know about that. That sounds like an almost crippling disadvantage in the average campaign. Very few non- humanoids carry material wealth of any kind.

Oh crap I completely forgot about that aspect. I'll add a clause that makes this bonus (or penalty) only apply to humanoid creatures.

Ziegander
2015-07-19, 04:27 PM
Oh crap I completely forgot about that aspect. I'll add a clause that makes this bonus (or penalty) only apply to humanoid creatures.

That sounds perfect.

Michael7123
2015-07-19, 10:26 PM
That sounds perfect.

I never got arround to thanking you for this suggestion. So thanks!

Michael7123
2015-07-20, 05:59 PM
I really think the 10th level ability should be changed. Handing out spells before the standard progression would allow anyone else to cast them is a HUGE deal, especially when you're also essentially granting a bonus 6th level slot. I know it's flavorful, but this warlock is going to functionally have more high level slots than any other caster from 10th through 12th level.

While this is true, I specifically gave out a spell that only mimicks what a lower level spell does on a mass scale. I'm going to reserve judgment on altering that ability until I see if it's to overpowered in game.