PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Michael's Specific Warlock Patron #4: Archduchess Fierna, Lady of the Fourth

Michael7123
2015-07-18, 07:53 PM
I love the themes the warlock class bring to the table. Any character who wound up pledging himself to some sort of mysterious (Great old one), downright weird (Archfey), or devil (Fiend) will almost always have some sort of interesting backstory which is fun to explore in game.

However, the warlock subclasses in of themselves are pretty limited. Playing a warlock of Dagon, a demon lord of the abyss who resides in water, gives you the same classic "kill them all with fire" benefits as playing a warlock of Asmodeus. This is my attempt to change this.

I plan on designing specific warlock subclasses for the lords of the Nine Hells before moving on to other patrons (both fiendish or otherwise).

Fierna, Lady of Phlegethos

https://40.media.tumblr.com/add7006ccc7ab7c41cef930c65ebe760/tumblr_nrpgojYZ4C1s7s6mlo1_540.jpg
Pay no attention to my assassins behind you. Look at ME.

Expanded Spell list:

Spell Level
Spells

1st
Sleep, Disguise Self

2nd
Calm Emotions, Silence

3rd
Tongues, Aura of Vitality

4th
Confusion, Compulsion

5th
Modify Memory, Mislead

Pact features:

Beguiling Influence
Starting at level 1, you automatically have the Beguiling Influence Invocation.

Charming
Starting at level 6, you can cast charm person up to 5 times per long rest as a level 1 spell without using any spell slots. At level 10, you can use this ability 7 times per long rest. At level 14 you can use this ability 9 times per long rest.

Evil Beauty
Starting at level 10, your charisma score increases by two (even if goes above 20). In addition, you gain double your proficiency bonus when using persuasion checks regarding romance or physical attraction.

Enthralling
At level 14, any creature normally immune to charms can be charmed by you, although they have advantage on their saving throws. Any creature who normally has advantage against charming effects now makes a standard roll. Any creature who would otherwise get a normal saving throw versus a charm effect now makes saving throws against you at disadvantage. Any creature who normally has disadvantage against charming effects now automatically fails any saving throw against your charming effects.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you ever use this class in a game, please post a link to the game in this thread or send me a pm telling me how this class performed. Any tips you can offer are helpful!

Michael7123
2015-07-18, 07:54 PM
"Why do something your self if you can convince others to do it for you?"

This is the ultimate goal of this class. You are "charm person" spambot. Create an army of thralls to follow your every whim. In terms of gameplay, this can work well with any warlock build where you have maxed charisma.

The Tyler
2015-07-19, 03:03 PM
This is honestly not what I was expecting. I was expecting a joint Belial and Fierna pact. Otherwise, I do like it. I'm not sure that many charm person spells per long rest is balanced.

Michael7123
2015-07-19, 04:22 PM
This is honestly not what I was expecting. I was expecting a joint Belial and Fierna pact. Otherwise, I do like it. I'm not sure that many charm person spells per long rest is balanced.

Honestly, the goal is to make you be able to charm person nearly at will. I might edit if it turns out to be overpowered after I see it in gameplay. Also, as I'm fairly sure Fierna is the official ruler of the layer, I only made one for her for the moment. I'll make another for Belial once I finish the other lords of the nine.

The Tyler
2015-07-19, 04:34 PM
Honestly, the goal is to make you be able to charm person nearly at will. I might edit if it turns out to be overpowered after I see it in gameplay. Also, as I'm fairly sure Fierna is the official ruler of the layer, I only made one for her for the moment. I'll make another for Belial once I finish the other lords of the nine.

Do you think it would be unbalanced if they could simply use charm person at will? My understanding is that Belial and Fierna are still joint rulers of that layer. However, separate pacts does make sense, it just wasn't what I expected. Good job.

Michael7123
2015-07-19, 04:50 PM
Do you think it would be unbalanced if they could simply use charm person at will? My understanding is that Belial and Fierna are still joint rulers of that layer. However, separate pacts does make sense, it just wasn't what I expected. Good job.

Charm person at will lets you walk through a town and make everyone in it your slave/lover/army/diversion/all of the above.

Charm person 9 times per day is significantly more limited.

The Tyler
2015-07-19, 06:10 PM
Charm person at will lets you walk through a town and make everyone in it your slave/lover/army/diversion/all of the above.

Charm person 9 times per day is significantly more limited.

It lets you walk into town and make everyone in there "regard you as a friendly acquaintance." And it makes it easier for you to socially manipulate them. But it needs to be renewed every hour. That's a lot of upkeep work, and if you start missing upkeep, you'll have some angry people on your hands.

I'm not saying you necessarily should make it at will, I'm just saying I don't think it'd be overpowered.

Michael7123
2015-07-19, 10:30 PM
It lets you walk into town and make everyone in there "regard you as a friendly acquaintance." And it makes it easier for you to socially manipulate them. But it needs to be renewed every hour. That's a lot of upkeep work, and if you start missing upkeep, you'll have some angry people on your hands.

I'm not saying you necessarily should make it at will, I'm just saying I don't think it'd be overpowered.

The eventual goal of the charm person spam is to make the people you charm not even care that you charmed them in the first place, one way or another. Use your imagination with this.

Still, I might go for infinite charming, but I'd like to see how this works in game as in before I make any changes.

Michael7123
2015-07-20, 01:32 PM
Something else I'm worried about with this class: is giving the players a free charisma boost too much? It's very thematically fitting, but I'm worried about it's balance.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-07-20, 02:26 PM
Something else I'm worried about with this class: is giving the players a free charisma boost too much? It's very thematically fitting, but I'm worried about it's balance.

Well most times (given I only have the 3 base to make this inference) the 10th level patron ability is a defensive ability, either very flexible, very powerful, or a concert of specific defenses that fit the theme. Lies, deceit, and braindoodles seem to be this pact tools of the trade. What about something to see through others lies to prevent yourself from being conned. Or an ability that allows you to fade into violence with deception checks cause your opponent to strike the wrong target.

Michael7123
2015-07-20, 10:52 PM
Well most times (given I only have the 3 base to make this inference) the 10th level patron ability is a defensive ability, either very flexible, very powerful, or a concert of specific defenses that fit the theme. Lies, deceit, and braindoodles seem to be this pact tools of the trade. What about something to see through others lies to prevent yourself from being conned. Or an ability that allows you to fade into violence with deception checks cause your opponent to strike the wrong target.

Hmmmm.... I'll consider something like this. The ability to convince enemies to avoid attacking you is very fitting for this class.