PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Variant Familiar questions.

Darksidebro
2015-07-19, 01:47 AM
Hello everyone and thank you for reading my post.

I'm currently playing a Great Old One Warlock and plan on taking Pact of the Chain. I love the flavor of the abilities, except the fact that there isn't a GOO specific familiar listed, instead recommending that any of the the 4 listed familiars (Sprite, Imp, Quasit, and Pseudodragon) will work for the great old one.

However I was looking more for the otherworldly aberration type of feel, so I hit the monster manual to see what I could dig up.

These monsters seemed to fit mostly within the power range of the familiars, and with a little tweaking can be brought to my DM to see what he thinks.

1- Rust Monster. Lower CR than both the Imp and Quasit, and with none of the invisibility, shape changing, and other utility powers. It's hard to gauge if the dissolving metals will be overpowered?

2- Shadow. Lower CR than both the Imp and Quasit, lacks the utility abilities but has good stealth abilities and can fit through spaces as small as one inch. The Shadow has much greater combat damage than the other familiars and has a Strength reduction tacked on that doesn't require a save. Perhaps lowering the damage a bit and adding a DC could make this a viable familiar? Or is it possibly balanced Due to it's Sunlight Weakness?

3- Blink Dog. At first glance the Blink Dog looks like a poor replacement familiar, a much lower CR than Imp or Quasit (Same as Sprite though). It does get advantage on hearing and scent perception checks and a mediocre bite attack. The real reason to look at the Blink Dog is the Teleport 40ft with whatever it's carrying, and can make a bite attack before or after the teleport. Recharges on 4-6. This seems pretty powerful thinking of the shenagans one could pull with this ability, but doesn't seem like much more shenagans that you could pull with the original 4 choices.

4- Intellect Devourer. The Intellect Devourer fits the Theme of the GOO nicely, at least from an abilities standpoint. It'd CR 2 compared to the Imp/Quasit CR 1 and comes with a load of abilities that are hard to gauge the power levels of as a familiar. I think that trimming down the intellect devourer could make it an interesting familiar, removing multiattack, damage immunities, and removing the second half of "devour intellect", making it to simply do damage on a failed save rather than potentially also stunning creatures?

So what do you guys think? Can these be made into balanced options? If so, how? Or are some of them fine as is?
Thank you for any information you can give to help me on this endeavor.

Dimcair
2015-07-19, 03:09 AM
The size seems off....

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-19, 04:58 AM
The size seems off....

Agree. A familiar should be tiny. Anything bigger starts to look more like an animal companion.

It is hard to find something suitable for a GOOlock, though. I would recommend homebrewing something, if you and your DM are up for it. Maybe a Blink Puppy, cursed with eternal youth?

GiantOctopodes
2015-07-19, 09:22 AM
Thirded, a familiar must be tiny. The intellect devourer is the only tiny abberation, but causing instant death if the target fails an opposed check (unless they use Wish, a 9th level spell) is far more problematic than their stunning effect, and if you remove both of those, it's not left with much and isn't really an intellect devourer at that point. I think it could be stripped down to where it was balanced, but I'm not certain you'd be happy with the results.

Might I recommend the Lurking Strangler from 3.5 Monster Manual III? It's tiny, it's a familiar and / or companion for Beholders, it's wierd and creepy (it's basically two eyes floating about connected by their optic nerve), and it wouldn't be too bad at all as a familiar. Slap a refresh mechanic on those eye rays (either 1/ short or long rest, or recharge 6, I would expect) and convert to 5E in general (no size bonus to AC, advantage on perception instead of static mod to search and spot, etc) and it would be just fine! If either of those really appeal to you (stripped down intellect devourer or converted lurking strangler) let me know. I'll be happy to have a shot at making a familiar appropriate version of them.

Naanomi
2015-07-19, 11:39 AM
A little reskin/refluff and the existing familiars can serve the role just fine. A tiny flying eyeball that hurls crystals from it's tiny arms and can peer into the minds of those around it; a refluffed sprite

Sigreid
2015-07-19, 12:00 PM
I think the homonculous would work great. It's a construct, but being made of clay ans ash it could look like a mini aboleth or any weird thing you like.

Kryx
2015-07-19, 12:09 PM
I would actually only give those familiars to the pact of the chain warlock.

They get an invisible, flying familiar that shares magic resistance with them that can scout for them and communicate with them with unlimited range.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-19, 12:10 PM
it could look like a mini aboleth

DM: "It looks like a tiny fish monster with tentacles and lots of eyes arranged in a vertical line."
PC, having flicked through the MM: "Do I know what the hell it is?"
DM: "Roll an Intelligence (Arcana) check."
PC: "That's a 3, lol."
DM: "Yep, it's totally a baby aboleth that's somehow adapted to live on dry land."
PC: "I run away, screaming."

Darksidebro
2015-07-19, 12:32 PM
Thirded, a familiar must be tiny. The intellect devourer is the only tiny abberation, but causing instant death if the target fails an opposed check (unless they use Wish, a 9th level spell) is far more problematic than their stunning effect, and if you remove both of those, it's not left with much and isn't really an intellect devourer at that point. I think it could be stripped down to where it was balanced, but I'm not certain you'd be happy with the results.

Might I recommend the Lurking Strangler from 3.5 Monster Manual III? It's tiny, it's a familiar and / or companion for Beholders, it's wierd and creepy (it's basically two eyes floating about connected by their optic nerve), and it wouldn't be too bad at all as a familiar. Slap a refresh mechanic on those eye rays (either 1/ short or long rest, or recharge 6, I would expect) and convert to 5E in general (no size bonus to AC, advantage on perception instead of static mod to search and spot, etc) and it would be just fine! If either of those really appeal to you (stripped down intellect devourer or converted lurking strangler) let me know. I'll be happy to have a shot at making a familiar appropriate version of them.

Dang, I didn't catch the sizes.. for the record though my DM would be fine with a larger familiar, as he's worried we don't have enough useful party members as is.

Lurking stranger sounds interesting, and if you have the time it'd be cool to see your 5e rendition. Not sure if my DM would allow a 3,5 conversion, but depending on how it turns out he might.

I think it's possible to trim the Intellect Devourer down and still keep its essence. I still think the Stunning Effect of Devour Intellect should be dropped or perhaps given Recharge 6(?). The save or die is of course overpowered. What about changing it so that The ID can only enter another humanoid's brain if it is already dead? And change it so it just gains the languages, motor controls, and senses of the body. Rather than all the memories too. This could act as the familiar's more limited shape change compared to the Imp and Quasit's.
Do you think that all's enough or maybe drop the resistances as well? I'm eager to see what you come up with.

Darksidebro
2015-07-19, 12:34 PM
I would actually only give those familiars to the pact of the chain warlock.

They get an invisible, flying familiar that shares magic resistance with them that can scout for them and communicate with them with unlimited range.

In the OP I stated I was a Pact of the Chain GOOlock.

Kryx
2015-07-19, 12:56 PM
In the OP I stated I was a Pact of the Chain GOOlock.
I was responding to "there isn't a GOO specific familiar listed", but I see you meant flavor wise, and not only them having access to the variant familiars. Some people allow those familiars on other classes with no cost. I think their benefit is one of the only reasons to play a Chain lock.

I agree on the tiny aspects. You have some decent suggestions in the thread.

Darksidebro
2015-07-19, 01:35 PM
I was responding to "there isn't a GOO specific familiar listed", but I see you meant flavor wise, and not only them having access to the variant familiars. Some people allow those familiars on other classes with no cost. I think their benefit is one of the only reasons to play a Chain lock.

I agree on the tiny aspects. You have some decent suggestions in the thread.

Oh I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. I agree that the 4 variant familiars should only be given for free to the Chain Lock, as it is one of the only reasons to take the subclass. -maybe- let another caster get one after doing an elaborate quest or something, but really only then if there isn't a Chain lock already in the group.

I did let a Wizard in my group make a hommunculous though as an "enhanced" familiar. Which I thought fits pretty good with the lore and didn't step on Warlock Toes, as the hommunculous is somewhat poor in comparison.

Sigreid
2015-07-19, 01:52 PM
Oh I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. I agree that the 4 variant familiars should only be given for free to the Chain Lock, as it is one of the only reasons to take the subclass. -maybe- let another caster get one after doing an elaborate quest or something, but really only then if there isn't a Chain lock already in the group.

I did let a Wizard in my group make a hommunculous though as an "enhanced" familiar. Which I thought fits pretty good with the lore and didn't step on Warlock Toes, as the hommunculous is somewhat poor in comparison.

Wizard wan'ts an imp or quasit familiar he gets to be the plaything of powers that do not have his interest at heart. Let the games begin!

Kryx
2015-07-19, 04:45 PM
FYI a guy on reddit made GOO based familiars: https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3dsj8f/homebrewwip_great_old_one_pact_familiars_journey/

BoardPep
2015-07-19, 04:54 PM
Maybe it's my love of oozes, maybe it's the humor of a GOO Warlock getting a goo familiar, but I'd design a miniature version of one of the oozes for it.

I remember reading into the lore of Gelatinous Cubes before and how they grow to be the size of whatever they are placed in. So imagining a character carrying around a small metal cube with a Gelatinous Cube in it sounds really fun. With toned down acid powers obviously, maybe 1d4 a round to anything put into the box. Would be a fun garbage disposal too. :smallbiggrin:

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-19, 05:20 PM
Maybe it's my love of oozes, maybe it's the humor of a GOO Warlock getting a goo familiar, but I'd design a miniature version of one of the oozes for it.

I remember reading into the lore of Gelatinous Cubes before and how they grow to be the size of whatever they are placed in. So imagining a character carrying around a small metal cube with a Gelatinous Cube in it sounds really fun. With toned down acid powers obviously, maybe 1d4 a round to anything put into the box. Would be a fun garbage disposal too. :smallbiggrin:

Bonus points if the tiny Gelatinous Cube is named Narcillicus Harwilliger Neen!

Darksidebro
2015-07-19, 05:46 PM
FYI a guy on reddit made GOO based familiars: https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3dsj8f/homebrewwip_great_old_one_pact_familiars_journey/

Those look pretty awesome! Especially the Gibbering Orblet. I will definitely add this to the list of seeking approval.

Darksidebro
2015-07-19, 05:49 PM

A weakened Ooze would be an awesomely flavorful familiar! My DM would get sick of me melting locks, hinges, doorknobs, and making new tunnels through stone complexes very quickly haha.

However, Oozes are so slow.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-19, 06:01 PM

That's why you need a box to carry it in!

Darksidebro
2015-07-19, 09:31 PM
That's why you need a box to carry it in!

Yes but what good is a (basically) controllable oozeling if I'm the one that has to carry it around all the time haha.

I imagine it'd get really lazy while being carried around and fed by a crazy warlock. Telepathically reminding me that it hasn't eaten in 2 1/2 hours, or that his box is cramped, or that he's afraid of the dark.

SharkForce
2015-07-19, 10:04 PM
Yes but what good is a (basically) controllable oozeling if I'm the one that has to carry it around all the time haha.

I imagine it'd get really lazy while being carried around and fed by a crazy warlock. Telepathically reminding me that it hasn't eaten in 2 1/2 hours, or that his box is cramped, or that he's afraid of the dark.

i disagree with the metal box plan.

clearly you want to carry it in a ceramic box. which you throw as a grenade-like weapon.

you may wish to get the mending cantrip and make sure your ceramic box is mostly pretty strong, but fractures along a single line every time :)

MadGrady
2015-07-20, 08:17 AM

aaaaaaaaaaaand now I want to play this.

Brilliant

I could just see my lock wandering around, suddenly shouting at this little box he carries on his belt. The other party members just looking at him like he's crazy (which, being a GOOlock....he most likely is)

Joe the Rat
2015-07-20, 08:30 AM
Unless you are looking for a Old One -themed power suite, reskinning seems very appropriate. With an emphasis on skinning. Looks sort of like an imp... or at least something small and vaguely humanoid wearing the skin of an imp.

The intellect devourer fits really well by theme (telepathy, create thrall), though you may need to tone down the brain-eating aspect. But then I'd have it so that when the ID is pulled from its pocket dimension, it appears to leap out of the walrock's skull.

I always figured gelatinous cubes started as gelatinous tetrahedrons.

BoardPep
2015-07-20, 04:39 PM
A weakened Ooze would be an awesomely flavorful familiar! My DM would get sick of me melting locks, hinges, doorknobs, and making new tunnels through stone complexes very quickly haha.

No worries on bothering the DM!

Gelatinous Cubes are the opposite of that. They eat everything EXCEPT for metal and stone. No lock eating, no hole digging. Basically anything another party member could destroy with fire, you could probably feed to your Cube. And it wouldn't be the most useful familiar, but it would be a heck of a lot of fun, especially the idea that you could talk to it. He could easily clean anything metal or stone that you're carrying. I imagine him taking pieces off of your cloak whenever it brushes up against him.

I like that ceramic box idea someone had as well. And something about him delivering touch spells for you while it's stuck to somebody seems hilarious.

If you want naming suggestions, I like Ebuc Suonitaleg. Or Just Ebuc.

Darksidebro
2015-07-20, 04:59 PM
No worries on bothering the DM!

Gelatinous Cubes are the opposite of that. They eat everything EXCEPT for metal and stone. No lock eating, no hole digging. Basically anything another party member could destroy with fire, you could probably feed to your Cube. And it wouldn't be the most useful familiar, but it would be a heck of a lot of fun, especially the idea that you could talk to it. He could easily clean anything metal or stone that you're carrying. I imagine him taking pieces off of your cloak whenever it brushes up against him.

I like that ceramic box idea someone had as well. And something about him delivering touch spells for you while it's stuck to somebody seems hilarious.

If you want naming suggestions, I like Ebuc Suonitaleg. Or Just Ebuc.

Oh well that's alot more balanced than I thought. Sticking it to people for touch spells would be awesome!

Honestly a cottollable Gelatinous Cube would be awesome for darker interrogations, and I'm sure would make the cube happy.

If I had an Oozeling companion it might have a "proper" Ooze name, but my GOOlock would call it Gobble.

I think I'm going to bring up the Oozling, the Weakened Intellect Devourer (emerging from pocket dimension made to look like emerging from my mouth or head is awesome) and the Gibbering Orblet to my DM.

BoardPep
2015-07-20, 05:41 PM
Oh well that's alot more balanced than I thought. Sticking it to people for touch spells would be awesome!

Honestly a cottollable Gelatinous Cube would be awesome for darker interrogations, and I'm sure would make the cube happy.

If I had an Oozeling companion it might have a "proper" Ooze name, but my GOOlock would call it Gobble.

I think I'm going to bring up the Oozling, the Weakened Intellect Devourer (emerging from pocket dimension made to look like emerging from my mouth or head is awesome) and the Gibbering Orblet to my DM.

Neat! If he ends up going for the Oozling (or any of them really), let us know what kind of stats/changes he wants made. I'm always curious to see that kind of stuff. I could give you my suggestion for how to make the Ooze CR approriate if you want. Just so you have an example to bring him. If he thought you wanted it with it's full damage / capturing powers, he might just scoff at the idea. Hopefully you have an agreeable DM though. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT - I had some spare time and my MM nearby, so here's a quick idea. Assuming you or your DM has the MM to look at, assume a regular Gelatinous Cube with these exceptions...

Size becomes Tiny.
Speed becomes 5 feet.
HP becomes 21 (2d10+10)
Challenge Rating becomes 1 (or maybe even 1/2)
Remove the Ooze Cube ability completely. It's not big enough to have something walk into it.
Change the Psudopod attack to have a +2 to Hit and 1d6 Acid Damage.
Remove "Engulf" and replace with "Stick"

STICK
Any time the cube touches an object or creature, it sticks to it. The creature can make a DC 10 Dexterity save to avoid this effect. When a creature that the cube is stuck to moves, the cube moves with it. A creature or object stuck to the cube takes 2d6 acid damage at the start of each of the cube's turns. The cube has advantage on attack rolls against the creature it is stuck to.

Notes - The HP is a little higher than normal for a familiar, but that is it's only real defense, as it has VERY low AC and no other defensive abilities. It's lacking in abilities compared to others as well, though it's 60 ft Blindsight is nice. I'd suggest asking your DM if perhaps you can be immune to it's stick effect, just for convenience. Perhaps a blessing from your otherworldly patron. Or simply the cube follows your commands, so it doesn't eat you. That way you wouldn't need to keep it in a metal box or anything like that. It could actually just crawl along your skin/clothes and keep you INCREDIBLY clean. I imagine his stick effect would work when thrown too, though it's probably dangerous throwing your familiar when it only has a 5 foot movement speed. If your enemy ran, you might not see it again. Seeing through your familiar with Voice of the Chain Master would be pretty neat since it has no vision other than it's 60 ft Blindsight. Especially since you can talk through it. I'd have it stuck to my head and talk through it as if it's controlling my body. :smallbiggrin:

Darksidebro
2015-07-20, 08:08 PM
Neat! If he ends up going for the Oozling (or any of them really), let us know what kind of stats/changes he wants made. I'm always curious to see that kind of stuff. I could give you my suggestion for how to make the Ooze CR approriate if you want. Just so you have an example to bring him. If he thought you wanted it with it's full damage / capturing powers, he might just scoff at the idea. Hopefully you have an agreeable DM though. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT - I had some spare time and my MM nearby, so here's a quick idea. Assuming you or your DM has the MM to look at, assume a regular Gelatinous Cube with these exceptions...

Size becomes Tiny.
Speed becomes 5 feet.
HP becomes 21 (2d10+10)
Challenge Rating becomes 1 (or maybe even 1/2)
Remove the Ooze Cube ability completely. It's not big enough to have something walk into it.
Change the Psudopod attack to have a +2 to Hit and 1d6 Acid Damage.
Remove "Engulf" and replace with "Stick"

STICK
Any time the cube touches an object or creature, it sticks to it. The creature can make a DC 10 Dexterity save to avoid this effect. When a creature that the cube is stuck to moves, the cube moves with it. A creature or object stuck to the cube takes 2d6 acid damage at the start of each of the cube's turns. The cube has advantage on attack rolls against the creature it is stuck to.

Notes - The HP is a little higher than normal for a familiar, but that is it's only real defense, as it has VERY low AC and no other defensive abilities. It's lacking in abilities compared to others as well, though it's 60 ft Blindsight is nice. I'd suggest asking your DM if perhaps you can be immune to it's stick effect, just for convenience. Perhaps a blessing from your otherworldly patron. Or simply the cube follows your commands, so it doesn't eat you. That way you wouldn't need to keep it in a metal box or anything like that. It could actually just crawl along your skin/clothes and keep you INCREDIBLY clean. I imagine his stick effect would work when thrown too, though it's probably dangerous throwing your familiar when it only has a 5 foot movement speed. If your enemy ran, you might not see it again. Seeing through your familiar with Voice of the Chain Master would be pretty neat since it has no vision other than it's 60 ft Blindsight. Especially since you can talk through it. I'd have it stuck to my head and talk through it as if it's controlling my body. :smallbiggrin:

Oh my gosh those are all awesome ideas. Thanks for the Example! This'll be great for showing my DM. Think you can do something similar for the Intellect Devourer?

And yeah my DM is very lenient when it comes to stuff like this, on account of me DMing for our group for the past 5 years straight, and this only being my 3rd time playing a character. I was always pretty lenient, so he ended up being that way too.

BoardPep
2015-07-20, 08:28 PM
Oh my gosh those are all awesome ideas. Thanks for the Example! This'll be great for showing my DM. Think you can do something similar for the Intellect Devourer?

And yeah my DM is very lenient when it comes to stuff like this, on account of me DMing for our group for the past 5 years straight, and this only being my 3rd time playing a character. I was always pretty lenient, so he ended up being that way too.

I'm a DM myself, and I'm the same way. As long as somebody wants something for flavor, and not as a way to potentially try to abuse something, I usually go for it.

The Intellect Devourer is hard...

It's pretty weak, so it's not hard to imagine it's abilities as a familar. But the problem is that it's ability is pretty much hit or miss. Either it eats your brain and you're dead, or it doesn't, and you probably step on it and kill it. A minor version likely wouldn't have the brain eating ability at all and would just be more of a mind-sensing tool. Here goes though.

Change HP to 10 (3d4+3)
Change Claw attack to +2 to hit
Reduce DC on Devour Intellect to 10.
Scrap the second part of Devour Intellect (the bit about stunning something with LOW INT)
Remove the Body Thief ability entirely.

Notes - It can do decent damage, but remember that a familiar can't actually attack unless you give up your attack action on your turn to let it do so. So not too much worries about it's damage exceeding your own. It has the same kind of senses as the Cube, funny enough. But it's Detect Sentience ability is handy and flavorful. If your DM is wondering why this thing doesn't have it's powers, I'd say it's a younger one that your patron is having you "take care of" until it gets old enough to eat brains. So for now you're feeing it the thoughts of others (and perhaps your own) until it grows. The 2d10 Psychic damage might seem high at first level, but remember it's only something within 10 foot range, and the save is fairly low.

Darksidebro
2015-07-20, 09:27 PM
I'm a DM myself, and I'm the same way. As long as somebody wants something for flavor, and not as a way to potentially try to abuse something, I usually go for it.

The Intellect Devourer is hard...

It's pretty weak, so it's not hard to imagine it's abilities as a familar. But the problem is that it's ability is pretty much hit or miss. Either it eats your brain and you're dead, or it doesn't, and you probably step on it and kill it. A minor version likely wouldn't have the brain eating ability at all and would just be more of a mind-sensing tool. Here goes though.

Change HP to 10 (3d4+3)
Change Claw attack to +2 to hit
Reduce DC on Devour Intellect to 10.
Scrap the second part of Devour Intellect (the bit about stunning something with LOW INT)
Remove the Body Thief ability entirely.

Notes - It can do decent damage, but remember that a familiar can't actually attack unless you give up your attack action on your turn to let it do so. So not too much worries about it's damage exceeding your own. It has the same kind of senses as the Cube, funny enough. But it's Detect Sentience ability is handy and flavorful. If your DM is wondering why this thing doesn't have it's powers, I'd say it's a younger one that your patron is having you "take care of" until it gets old enough to eat brains. So for now you're feeing it the thoughts of others (and perhaps your own) until it grows. The 2d10 Psychic damage might seem high at first level, but remember it's only something within 10 foot range, and the save is fairly low.

If I used the Intellect Devourer as a familiar, I'd want it to look like the Alien Crabs from Half-Life that attach to people's heads.

No way to make the body stealing more balanced? I was thinking what if it was remade to be like a more limited shape change (mechanically) akin to the Imp\Quasit?
Drop getting the memories of the target.
Make the Target Body have to have died within the last 10 minutes. Give it a 10 minute duration (possibly requires the ID to maintain concentration while being hit)
And Disadvantage on Persuasion and Deception checks for the duration.

Then it's like a limited shape change to whatever humanoids you have close by at hand and recently dead (preferably one that the party barbarian made look... less dead.) Can be knocked out of it in combat, can't really speak well to other humanoids, can't use it to gain memories of the castle/hideout/whatever.
Then it's basically a limited time scout or extra hand or what have you.

I just imagine the ID jumping into a freshly slain enemy and driving the human body (poorly) down hallways and stuttering out lackluster responses to those who ask questions.

What do you think? Does this seem balanced or over the top? Too much utility or not enough?

Dimcair
2015-07-20, 09:52 PM
breakable ceramic cube?

I wanna be the very best....

BoardPep
2015-07-20, 10:13 PM
If I used the Intellect Devourer as a familiar, I'd want it to look like the Alien Crabs from Half-Life that attach to people's heads.

No way to make the body stealing more balanced? I was thinking what if it was remade to be like a more limited shape change (mechanically) akin to the Imp\Quasit?
Drop getting the memories of the target.
Make the Target Body have to have died within the last 10 minutes. Give it a 10 minute duration (possibly requires the ID to maintain concentration while being hit)
And Disadvantage on Persuasion and Deception checks for the duration.

Then it's like a limited shape change to whatever humanoids you have close by at hand and recently dead (preferably one that the party barbarian made look... less dead.) Can be knocked out of it in combat, can't really speak well to other humanoids, can't use it to gain memories of the castle/hideout/whatever.
Then it's basically a limited time scout or extra hand or what have you.

I just imagine the ID jumping into a freshly slain enemy and driving the human body (poorly) down hallways and stuttering out lackluster responses to those who ask questions.

What do you think? Does this seem balanced or over the top? Too much utility or not enough?

It's strange and fiddly. It's probably balanced, because I'd still assume whatever it controls can't attack normally since it's still a familar. Would probably only be fine if it is a zombie kind of creature at that point, or else it might be too easy to play body snatcher and pose as other people (though as you mentioned, kind of badly at it). I never thought of the idea of it only being able to eat dead brains and not living ones.

That being said though, you'd need to set exact rules on what it could eat. Maybe only small creatures? Or medium humanoids? Even then, it's possible you might come across something amazing that is a medium humanoid that would be too powerful for it to walk around in. Could set a CR 1/2 limit or something like that. Either way, it might be too powerful as you have any number of options with it. But I'd ask your DM anyways. He might like the idea. And worst comes to worst, if it ends up being unbalanced for you to control a particular kind of enemy, he can find a reason why it doesn't work on the fly.

I think the idea of these things walking around in corpses is even creepier than eating living people's brains.

EDIT - It's probably fair if you're going to set that 10 minute time limit on it. So you can't just walk around with a permanent trap-exploder.

SharkForce
2015-07-20, 11:17 PM
it isn't just the combat uses. suppose you take over, oh, an umber hulk. now you can kool-aid man your way through walls whenever you want (heh... so glad the DM decided to have us encounter one of those in our 2e game :) )

GiantOctopodes
2015-07-21, 06:49 AM
Took forever before I did it, so my apologies for that. Without further ado, the Lurking Strangler.

Lurking Strangler
Tiny Abberation, Lawful Evil

Str
Dex
Con
Int
Wis
Cha

5 (-3)
19 (+4)
13 (+1)
6 (-2)
10 (+0)
10 (+0)

Challenge 1
All Around Vision Lurking stranglers are exceptionally alert and circumspect. Their eyes and physiology give them advantage on Perception checks relying on sight, and no attack roll against them has advantage so long as they are not incapacitated.
Cause Fear (Recharge 6). One creature of the Lurking Strangler's choice within 30 feet of it must succeed on a DC 10 Wisdom saving throw or be frightened for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, with disadvantage if the Lurking Strangler is within line of sight, ending the effect on itself on a success.
Sleep (Recharge 6). One creature of the Lurking Strangler's choice within 30 feet of it must succeed on a DC 10 Wisdom saving throw or fall into a magical slumber for 1 minute. It falls unconscious until the duration ends, the sleeper takes damage, or someone uses an action to shake or slap the sleeper awake. Undead, and creatures immune to being charmed, and creatures with more than 20 current hit points aren’t affected.
Suffocate Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 6 (1d4 + 4) piercing damage, and the Lurking Strangler attaches to the target (Wrapping around its neck). While attached, the Lurking Strangler doesn’t attack. Instead, at the start of each of the Lurking Strangler’s turns, the target loses 6 (1d4 + 4) hit points due to strangulation. The Lurking Strangler can detach itself by spending 5 feet of its movement. A creature, including the target, can use its action to detach the Lurking Strangler.

Description:
A 3-foot-long strand of striated muscle connects two floating eyeballs. The strand flexes and twists.
Many species enjoy pets that resemble themselves. Some humans keep monkeys as companions and some rakshasas keep house cats. Beholders enjoy lurking stranglers. This lesser creature acts as a companion, pet, and occasional spy for them.
Lurking stranglers are 3 feet long from eyeball to eyeball. They weigh 5 pounds. Lurking stranglers understand Deep Speech and Common. They have neither a mouth nor any means of speaking. They communicate by twisting their bodies. A wide-open posture usually signifies assent, and a tight spiral indicates fear, tension, or disagreement.

Ok, there's my first pass, let me know what you think!

Darksidebro
2015-07-21, 06:30 PM
it isn't just the combat uses. suppose you take over, oh, an umber hulk. now you can kool-aid man your way through walls whenever you want (heh... so glad the DM decided to have us encounter one of those in our 2e game :) )

Haha I figured I would suggest a "medium humanoid" clause to him.

Darksidebro
2015-07-21, 06:33 PM
Took forever before I did it, so my apologies for that. Without further ado, the Lurking Strangler.

Lurking Strangler
Tiny Abberation, Lawful Evil

Str
Dex
Con
Int
Wis
Cha

5 (-3)
19 (+4)
13 (+1)
6 (-2)
10 (+0)
10 (+0)

Challenge 1
All Around Vision Lurking stranglers are exceptionally alert and circumspect. Their eyes and physiology give them advantage on Perception checks relying on sight, and no attack roll against them has advantage so long as they are not incapacitated.
Cause Fear (Recharge 6). One creature of the Lurking Strangler's choice within 30 feet of it must succeed on a DC 10 Wisdom saving throw or be frightened for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, with disadvantage if the Lurking Strangler is within line of sight, ending the effect on itself on a success.
Sleep (Recharge 6). One creature of the Lurking Strangler's choice within 30 feet of it must succeed on a DC 10 Wisdom saving throw or fall into a magical slumber for 1 minute. It falls unconscious until the duration ends, the sleeper takes damage, or someone uses an action to shake or slap the sleeper awake. Undead, and creatures immune to being charmed, and creatures with more than 20 current hit points aren’t affected.
Suffocate Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 6 (1d4 + 4) piercing damage, and the Lurking Strangler attaches to the target (Wrapping around its neck). While attached, the Lurking Strangler doesn’t attack. Instead, at the start of each of the Lurking Strangler’s turns, the target loses 6 (1d4 + 4) hit points due to strangulation. The Lurking Strangler can detach itself by spending 5 feet of its movement. A creature, including the target, can use its action to detach the Lurking Strangler.

Description:
A 3-foot-long strand of striated muscle connects two floating eyeballs. The strand flexes and twists.
Many species enjoy pets that resemble themselves. Some humans keep monkeys as companions and some rakshasas keep house cats. Beholders enjoy lurking stranglers. This lesser creature acts as a companion, pet, and occasional spy for them.
Lurking stranglers are 3 feet long from eyeball to eyeball. They weigh 5 pounds. Lurking stranglers understand Deep Speech and Common. They have neither a mouth nor any means of speaking. They communicate by twisting their bodies. A wide-open posture usually signifies assent, and a tight spiral indicates fear, tension, or disagreement.

Ok, there's my first pass, let me know what you think!

Hey thanks for doing this for me! It looks pretty solid, but not really very effective as a Chain lock familiar, as you have to give up your action to have it attack for you. And since it lacks utility abilities. However! I'm going to save this so next time I DM I can pack a beholder cave full of them (like a crazy cat lady beholder!)

Darksidebro
2015-07-21, 06:39 PM
Neat! If he ends up going for the Oozling (or any of them really), let us know what kind of stats/changes he wants made.

I've presented everything to my DM (I am truly grateful for everyone's suggestions and help!) And he has agreed to the Altered Intellect Devourer with the Toned-down Body Takeover ability!
He said the stats look familiar-appropriate and he also likes the idea of it jumping out of my mouth (read: pocket dimension)

Thank you everyone.

BoardPep
2015-07-21, 06:56 PM
I've presented everything to my DM (I am truly grateful for everyone's suggestions and help!) And he has agreed to the Altered Intellect Devourer with the Toned-down Body Takeover ability!
He said the stats look familiar-appropriate and he also likes the idea of it jumping out of my mouth (read: pocket dimension)

Thank you everyone.

You're very welcome!

You've possibly inspired me to use the cube familiar in a game of my own. :smallsmile:

Darksidebro
2015-07-21, 09:01 PM
You're very welcome!

You've possibly inspired me to use the cube familiar in a game of my own. :smallsmile:

Oh well thanks. Glad I've inspired you. You came up with more on the Oozling then me though. Even though my DM didn't agree with me having the Oozling not eat me all the time by telepathically commanding it (that's why I didn't choose it as a familiar) but oh well. You win some you lose some.

BoardPep
2015-07-21, 09:12 PM
Oh well thanks. Glad I've inspired you. You came up with more on the Oozling then me though. Even though my DM didn't agree with me having the Oozling not eat me all the time by telepathically commanding it (that's why I didn't choose it as a familiar) but oh well. You win some you lose some.

That could be fun.

"No. No. Nooo. Stop eating me. I'll put you back in the box!"

Nom Nom Nom.

"That's it's! Back in the box you go!"

If your party kept failing the spot check to see him, that whole exchange would be hilarious.