PDA

View Full Version : Familiars by wizard school for 5e, Animated household object

Belac93
2015-07-19, 03:36 PM
This is a little project I finished today, meant to expand the options for wizard familiars in 5e, if you have any better ideas for familiars, please share them
Wizard School Familiars.
These are variants for wizards with specific schools to have as familiars. None of the familiars you have may attack, even if their stats say they can

Abjuration. You may have any plant with a challenge rating of 1/4 or lower.
Conjuration. You may have any Fiend, Celestial, or Aberration with a Challenge rating of 1/4 or lower
Divination. You may have a Flumph (MM 135) as your familiar.
Enchantment. You may have any humanoid with a challenge rating of 1/4 or lower
Evocation. You may have a Mephit (MM pg. 215) of any type as your familiar. this mephit may not summon other mephits.
Illusion. You may have a Pseudodragon (MM pg. 254) or Sprite (MM pg. 283)
Necromancy. You may have a Crawling Claw as your familiar (MM pg. 44)
Transmutation. You may have a Animated Object or any other construct with a Challenge of 1/8 or lower as your familiar. The animated object must have the statistics of the creature below, and may not be from the monster manual

Animated household object
Small or tiny construct, unaligned

Armor Class 15 for small object and 16 for tiny object
Hit points 3 (1d6) for small and 2 (1d4) for tiny
Speed 0 ft., fly 30 ft.

Small Object (Large book, chest, broom, guitar)
Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
10 (+0) 15 (+2) 10 (+0) 1 (-5) 5 (-3) 1 (-5)

Tiny Object (Book, candlestick, goblet, cutlery)
Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
8 (-1) 16 (+3) 10 (+0) 1 (-5) 5 (-3) 1 (-5)

Damage Immunities poison, pyschic
Condition Immunities blinded, charmed, deafened, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned
Senses Blindsight 60 ft. (blind beyond this radius), passive perception 7
Languages —
Challenge 1/4

Antimagic Susceptibility. As the Animated objects ability (MM pg. 19)
False Appearance. While the object remains motionless, it is indistinguishable from the item that it looks like.
Helping Hand. While using the animated object for the purpose it was intended for, you have advantage on all rolls and the activity takes half the time.

Actions
Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit (+5 for tiny objects), reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage. (1 (1d4-1) for tiny objects).

PotatoGolem
2015-07-22, 11:47 PM
I like the idea, but some of the implementations are odd. Why do abjurers have plants? Why do diviners have beasts? Also, a humanoid as a familiar bothers me for some reason, but I can't quite place why. Is it an actual person? Is it the standard familiar spirit shaped into a humanoid form?

Animated object and crawling claw are spot-on, though, and I like the conjuration and evocation choices a lot. Illusionist seems fitting, but it is stepping on the chainlock's toes a bit.

Prince Zahn
2015-07-23, 02:15 AM
I think as familiars work is that the magical spirit takes the physical form of the familiar, but I would limit it to a small or smaller humanoid, as it doesn't sound proper to me that enchanters get a medium sized familiar when everybody else gets tiny. Perhaps make a statblock for a child and/or even a baby, which as a familiar wouldn't age?:smallsmile:
Same thing about beasts - the CR1/4 beasts not only steps on ranger territory, but those are also dangerous critters in their own right - panthers, wolves, crocs(?) all fall into CR 1/4 and that seems a bit much.:smalleek:
I can see an illusionist getting a chameleon or something, if you don't wish for overlap with the warlock.
Caution is advised when handing out Mephits, as they can summon other Mephits :smalltongue: as alluring as that sounds I don't know how balanced that would be.

Other than that, This is a REALLY cool idea to look into :smallbiggrin: 4/5 stars

Belac93
2015-07-23, 02:29 PM
It was hard to find appropriate creatures for diviners and abjurers. The thing that I would think doesn't make this too much like the ranger is that your creatures cannot attack, and so are great for utility and scouting.
The fluff for enchanter is more like you permanently mind control the person, but it makes them magic as well (kinda ridiculous, I know).
I'll change evocation familiars so they can't summon other mefits.
And please, if you have any ideas or homebrew monsters for abjuration and divination, please share them.

Prince Zahn
2015-07-24, 03:58 PM
A flumph could make an interesting familiar for an abjurer, maybe a diviner(cuz telepathy.) They are small aberration, (other familars are tiny) they are Challenge 1/8 (for comparison, standard familiars have a CR of 0, whilst warlock familiars are CR 1/4~1) so they are quite in middle ground.

A Flying Snake is a tiny beast, also Challenge 1/8, has vibrantly colored scales and wings - he can slither, fly and even swim quite fast. Maybe you could use that, or replace it with something you out in.

The humble Homunculus is designed to be used as a familiar, or similar entity:
According to what the 5e book mentions about it, the homunculus can scout, have an educated discussion with it's master, or even disguise itself as Experiment 626 (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5f/Stitch.png), should the need arise. (unnoficial, but one can not argue with The resemblance between The 5e MM homunculus and the image)
The downside? The ritual magic used to create it is story-driven, meaning a DM is more inclined to offer it as treasure or use it as a story tool than hand it out freely.

That's what I could come up with while browsing the Monster Manual, hope it helps!

Belac93
2015-07-24, 09:13 PM
I gave diviners Flumphs. Thanks for the idea!
About Homunculus, they are constructs, so transmuters can have them as a familiar (it says, Animated object or other construct).