PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Treeborn

Ralcos
2015-07-20, 02:47 PM
The Treeborn
http://greywolf.critter.net/images/ironclaw/elementals/dryad-p.gif

Racial Traits:
Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 2.
Age. To all other races, the Treeborn are ageless. In actuality, they have lifetimes that measure in the millennium or even in the millions-of-years. The oldest recorded Treeborn was almost two million years old.
Alignment. Treeborn are mostly neutral, usually keeping to themselves and each one creating their own forms of ethics as they grow. Because of this evolution of their mindsets, each one can be Good, Evil, Chaotic, or Lawful as they wish.
Size. Most Treeborn stand almost 7 feet in height, weighing around 300 to 400 pounds on average due to being made of thick animated wood. Your size is Medium.
Speed. A Treeborn's base walking speed is 30 feet.
Fey Ancestry. You have Advantage on all saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.
Wood Form. Armor must be specially crafted for you, meaning that you must spend triple the GP amount needed to buy it. In addition, you have an Armor Class of 13 + Dexterity Modifier when you are not wearing any armor.
Also, you are granted Resistance against Bludgeoning damage, and gain Vulnerability to Fire damage.
Photosynthetic. Treeborn do not need to sleep, eat, drink, or breathe.
Instead, they need at least 4 hours of natural sunlight to gain the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleeping, including food, drink, and breath.
Languages. You can speak, understand, and are literate in the Common, Elvish, and Sylvan languages.
Subraces. There are two subraces for the Treeborn. Choose one of the following: Ent, Hamadryad.

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution increases by 1.
Always Male. This subrace is always male.
Enlarge Form. As a Bonus Action on your round, you can use the primal energy around you to increase your size to Large. When your size is increased in this way, you are granted the following traits:

You take up an area equal to 10 feet by 10 feet.
You gain Temporary Hit Points equal to your level plus your Wisdom modifier.
You use double your Strength modifier when calculating damage from any melee attack you make.
Any attack roll against you is granted Advantage, due to your size.

Once you use this ability, you cannot use it again until you take a Long Rest.
This ability lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum: 1)

Ability Score increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1.
Always Female. This subrace is always female.
Primal Power. You begin knowing the Druidcraft cantrip. At 3rd level, you can use the Charm Person spell once per Long Rest. And finally at 5th level, you can use the Beastsense spell once per Long Rest.
Your spellcasting ability score for these spells are Wisdom, and DCs are calculated with Wisdom.
Tongue of the Wild. You can speak and understand all animals and plants, as if under the effects of the Speak with Animals spell and the Speak with Plants spell.

Well, I made this race because I was bored. AGAIN. :smallbiggrin::smalltongue::smallcool:

So, what do you guys think?

JNAProductions
2015-07-20, 02:52 PM
Ent needs serious nerfing. As it is, they can always benefit from enlarged form.

In addition, make it 13+Dex. 14+Dex is a significant boost over all other ACs like that.

BoardPep
2015-07-20, 05:34 PM
Ent needs serious nerfing. As it is, they can always benefit from enlarged form.

In addition, make it 13+Dex. 14+Dex is a significant boost over all other ACs like that.

I agree with these two statements.

13+Dex for base AC.

And perhaps make the enlarged form once per short rest (otherwise the temp HP can be abused too easily). Or even twice per short rest if you wish. Maybe instead of enemies getting a +2 against you, they could instead gain advantage? Just fits with the feel of 5E a bit more.

I do suggest that you don't give people an option of Str/Con or Int/Cha. Instead just picking which one that subrace gives. I don't recall any other subrace of any other race giving options like that. So it makes them seem too good perhaps? If you want to know which I'd suggest, I'd say CON for Ent and CHA for the other. Seems the most fitting.

THAT being said, these are really cool. :) If a player is ever looking to be a tree person, these seem pretty balanced / flavorful. I'd probably tell them the age-span is more like in the thousands of years, but that's just preference. Age shouldn't matter too much in most games.

Ralcos
2015-07-20, 06:38 PM
Updated based on suggestions.

JNAProductions
2015-07-20, 06:40 PM
Still too powerful. It's more powerful offensively than Rage, and never runs out.

Ralcos
2015-07-20, 07:18 PM
Updated "Enlarge Form" to have a time limit.

JNAProductions
2015-07-20, 07:19 PM
It's better... But it still feels too powerful.

Let me say again: This is more powerful offensively than rage.

That is a ridiculously powerful racial, up there with flight, and you get it once every short rest. It needs to be nerfed.

Ralcos
2015-07-20, 07:22 PM
It's better... But it still feels too powerful.

Let me say again: This is more powerful offensively than rage.

That is a ridiculously powerful racial, up there with flight, and you get it once every short rest. It needs to be nerfed.

Long Rest?

JNAProductions
2015-07-20, 07:26 PM
Nerf the ability.

Ralcos
2015-07-20, 07:28 PM
Nerf the ability.

Removed the Strength-Based abilities from the Ent's ability.

JNAProductions
2015-07-20, 07:29 PM
Add back in "double strength mod on damage rolls". It deserves that much.

And with that, it's balanced in my books.

Ralcos
2015-07-20, 07:32 PM
Add back in "double strength mod on damage rolls". It deserves that much.

And with that, it's balanced in my books.

There we go.

BoardPep
2015-07-20, 09:21 PM
There we go.

Looks good.

I can't help but feel like the "Tree Rage" should last a minute. Lasting somewhere between 1 to 5 rounds seems a little small. Maybe add something like fire damage knocking you out of it automatically just for flavor/flaw? But it's probably fine as-is.

Now that I think of it, the female ones having both "Speak with Animals" and "Speak with Plants" activate at all times does seem a little powerful, but it's more of an RP / fun ability anyways. Also probably fine as-is, but something to think about.

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-21, 04:07 AM
Photosynthetic.[/B] Treeborn do not need to sleep, eat, drink, or breathe.
Instead, they need at least 4 hours of natural sunlight to gain the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleeping, including food, drink, and breath.

Euhm sorry, so you can in the middle of a fight finish the 4 hours, and get everything back. 4 hours rest in sunglight seems better.

Next to that, the fire and bludeoning things are big deals.

Ralcos
2015-07-21, 10:54 AM
Euhm sorry, so you can in the middle of a fight finish the 4 hours, and get everything back. 4 hours rest in sunglight seems better.

Next to that, the fire and bludeoning things are big deals.

No, you only have the 4 hours during a Long Rest, similar to how Elves work.

Also, the Resistance to Bludgeoning damage was balanced out with a Vulnerability to Fire damage.

Twelvetrees
2015-07-22, 09:04 PM
For having such varied abilities, this is a remarkably well-balanced race. Two things, however, seem a bit off.

Photosynthetic will likely clash with the rest of the party's resting time. At night, when the rest of the party rests, the Treeborn will gain no benefit from this trait because of a lack of natural sunlight. When the sun is up during the day, the rest of the party will likely not want to be resting. My suggestion would be to just remove this ability entirely or to change it so that it will not clash with a typical party.

Wood Form's resistance to bludgeoning damage and vulnerability to fire damage is not a fair trade. Bludgeoning damage is far more common than fire, making this ability quite powerful at low levels. At higher levels, enemies have far greater access to fire damage, making this formerly strong ability into a liability. I'm not sure what could be done with this ability. It's certainly thematic, but its balance is off.

Again, well done. I can't help but like it. :smallsmile:

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-24, 08:46 AM
No, you only have the 4 hours during a Long Rest, similar to how Elves work.

Also, the Resistance to Bludgeoning damage was balanced out with a Vulnerability to Fire damage.

There wasn't in the race description that you have to rest 4 hours, and vurnerability with a races means you sometimes win every fight, and sometimes get killed by a cantrip...