Spell Level
Spells

Ensnaring Strike, Hail of Thorns

Find Steed, Scorching Ray

Flame Arrows, Fireball

Locate Creature, Mordenkainenan's Faithful Hound

Conjure Volley, Commune with Nature

Huntsman's Bow
At level 1, you craft or are gifted a special item: a huntsman's bow. This may be any type of bow or crossbow that you could normally wield, and you are considered proficient with it. This bow may be used as a normal bow of it's type, but it serves a second, more important function: as a unique spellcasting focus. When a Wild Hunt warlock casts Eldritch Blast using his Huntsman's Bow, he may choose to shape his blasts into Eldritch Arrows, effecting the spell in a number of ways:

- Your arrows deal magical piercing damage instead of force damage.
- Your arrows range is 150/600 ft.
- You may treat your beams as either ranged weapon attacks or ranged spell attacks, chosen when you cast the spell.

Spells that would affect normal arrows fired from your bow also affect your Eldritch Arrows. Agonizing Blast only adds damage to your Eldritch Arrows if you make them as ranged spell attacks.
If you lose or break your huntsman's bow, you may replace it. Doing so takes 24 hours and 100gp worth of ritual materials. A Wild hunt warlock who takes the Pact of the Blade may summon or bind a magical bow or crossbow as his pact weapon, and this may be used as his Huntsman's bow. When summoned in this way, the weapon also brings with it a quiver of 60 arrows or Bolts, and any magical effects apply to spells or normal arrows fired from the bow. Blade Pact invocations only affect normal, physical arrows fired from the bow, not your Eldritch Arrows.

Imbue arrow
At level 6, you learn to funnel more than just your Eldritch Blast through your Huntsman's Bow. When casting any spell who's range is not touch, you may instead fire it from your Huntsman's bow; this allows you to use your bow's range instead of the spell's range, use your dexterity modifier in place of your Charisma modifier on the attack roll (if it requires one), and apply the benefits of the Archery fighting style (should you have it).

Huntsman's Reflexes
At level 10, the Wild Hunt grants you an almost supernatural sense of your surroundings. Choose one:
Uncanny Dodge: When an attacker that you can see hits your with an attack, you may use your reaction to reduce the damage of that attack by half.
Evasion: When you are subjected to an effect that requires a dexterity saving throw to only take half damage, you instead take no damage from a successful save and only half damage on a failed save.

Huntsman's Rain
At level 14, you can summon the Wild hunt to aid you on a massive volley attack. When you cast Eldritch Blast through your huntsman's bow, instead of the normal number of blasts you may fire one Eldritch Arrow at every target you can see within the range of your bow. You make a seperate attack roll for each target. Once you use this ability, you must take a long rest before you can do so again.

This is an Arcane Archer concept I came up with a little bit ago. This does, of course, have the potential to do a whole lot of damage, but does require a more MAD build to get the most out of it (a standard point buy warlock will have a bit of a difficult time getting 20s in both dex and charisma in addition to all the feats required and the fighting style, which is not a given).

There are obvious concerns, and i think the wording could get cleaned up or simplified, but tell me what you guys think of it.

Steampunkette
2015-07-26, 12:45 AM
Welp. Now I can make a Diablo 3 Demon Hunter. Thank you, Submortimer!

Jhyarelle
2016-01-08, 11:25 PM
Can you use the Huntsman's Bow with the Rogues sneak attack?
This could defiantly bring in the hurt, but if its too much damage you could have it use half the Sneak Attack dice like the Spellwarp Sniper (Middle Finger Vecna crew).

For more damage options, can you apply poison to the Eldrich Arrow or bond with a Bow or Xbow that enchants its arrows with poison Dmage?

While Wild Hunters have high damage probability with imbuing arrows with spells, the Warlock is really limited to 4 5th Lv Slot spells late game. This makes multi-calssing/gestalting into rogues for Sneak Attack almost vital for extra damage early in the build.

Also if you have the Agonizing Blast Invocation do you add Cha mod and Dex mod to the attack roll of the Eldrich Arrow?

Ralcos
2016-01-09, 02:29 AM
Any followers of the Daedric Prince of the Hunt (AKA Hircine) on this forum?

http://www.imperial-library.info/sites/default/files/bkdae_mw_hircine.jpg

*Builds a Warlock with Hircine as his patron*

Submortimer
2016-01-09, 12:29 PM
Can you use the Huntsman's Bow with the Rogues sneak attack?
This could defiantly bring in the hurt, but if its too much damage you could have it use half the Sneak Attack dice like the Spellwarp Sniper (Middle Finger Vecna crew).

I'm part of that crew, so I'll have to take a look at that. :smallsmile:

Initial thought is yes. EB isn't much stronger than a heavy crossbow, but you can effortlessly gain 4 attacks a round with it, so it may need some balancing.

For more damage options, can you apply poison to the Eldrich Arrow or bond with a Bow or Xbow that enchants its arrows with poison Dmage?

No to the first, yes to the second. The arrows do not exist until you cast EB though the bow, so they cannot be pre-treated.

Also if you have the Agonizing Blast Invocation do you add Cha mod and Dex mod to the attack roll of the Eldrich Arrow?

You do not add your dexterity bonus to damage with your Eldrich Arrows, only to attack (in lieu of charisma). Agonizing blast is still a necessity. That being said, you CAN make the bow your pact weapon, and if you take Lifedrinker you would add charisma and dexterity bonuses to damage from noreal arrows fired from that bow.

Jhyarelle
2016-01-09, 01:51 PM
You do not add your dexterity bonus to damage with your Eldrich Arrows, only to attack (in lieu of charisma). Agonizing blast is still a necessity. That being said, you CAN make the bow your pact weapon, and if you take Lifedrinker you would add charisma and dexterity bonuses to damage from nonreal arrows fired from that bow.

Ok. let me get this straight; If your HMB is just you Patron's gift or personally crafted weapon, it has two settings.

Magic ammo which is the Eldrich Blast it self in the form of a magic arrow (meaning it can blow through resistance as if were a +1 or better ammo cause its a spell)

or

standard (man made or summoned) piece of ammo.

You have the option of either "Dex mod or Cha mod to the attack roll presumably cause better bonuses" for both ammo types right?

Or does "that" option refer only to the Eldrich Blast arrow?
Does the EBA not get the Dex mod to damage cause its the actual spell EB just launched with a weapon?
Will it get the Cha mod damage if you have the Agonizing Blast Invocation.

Will a normal arrow get the Dex Mod bonus damage fired from HMB?
Can you use Cha mod bonus to attack with normal arrows and still get the Dex mod damage bonus?

To which; magical arrow, normal arrow or both. Bonding the weapon and having Invocations like Agonizing Blast and Lifedrinker, you can add Dex mod and Cha mod to damage?

Sorry I have to ask, I and my friends are very creative in interpreting written rules. Plus we try to out "rules lawyer" each other often sometimes fun. Cause I have get further rulings on Sneak Attacks with this as Im planing on gestalting this Warlock Patron with a rouge and make a hell of gunslinger with hand crossbow.

Amnoriath
2016-01-09, 01:54 PM
There is only concerns with this sub-class. One kind of major and the other kind of minor.
1. This sub-class is very battle-oriented even the bonus spells lack utility.
2. The Huntsman's Bow could easily be one of the most consistently devastating attack forms in the game making the Fighter and Ranger obsolete. While cleverly built because it is a weapon and can even be a pact weapon your base attack could easily look like this 1d10+20 adding charisma to damage twice while adding in Sharpshooter. One of the design points of cantrips is that while they did more base damage they don't combine as well with other abilities and feats. You have given them that advantage and made them superior to any kind of passive attack. Along with Swift Quiver since you get it earlier you are shelling out 6d10+120 damage on a rather generic build.

Submortimer
2016-01-09, 02:23 PM
*snip*

I made an edit that should clear up all the rules. Now, your huntsman bows has three settings:

1. Eldritch arrows as ranged spell attack: charisma to attack, affected by invocations that affect Eldritch blast, affected by Spell sniper feat.

2. Eldritch arrows as ranged weapon attacks: dexterity to attack and damage, affected by Archery fighting style, affected by Sharpshooter.

3. Regular arrows fired by the bow.

Submortimer
2016-01-09, 02:31 PM
There is only concerns with this sub-class. One kind of major and the other kind of minor.
1. This sub-class is very battle-oriented even the bonus spells lack utility.
2. The Huntsman's Bow could easily be one of the most consistently devastating attack forms in the game making the Fighter and Ranger obsolete. While cleverly built because it is a weapon and can even be a pact weapon your base attack could easily look like this 1d10+20 adding charisma to damage twice while adding in Sharpshooter. One of the design points of cantrips is that while they did more base damage they don't combine as well with other abilities and feats. You have given them that advantage and made them superior to any kind of passive attack. Along with Swift Quiver since you get it earlier you are shelling out 6d10+120 damage on a rather generic build.

1. You are correct, but most other official and homered patrons are mostly combat oriented. I don't see them losing too much.

2. Take a look at the change. Now, it should be that the most they could do would be 1d10+20, but that requires 20 dex, 20 charisma, sharpshooter, and lifedrinker. In most cases, they should have comparable damage to a ranger with a heavy crossbow.

If we assume a normal build, let's say....human, variant, 15 14 13 12 10 8 spread, putting +1 into dex and charisma, the ranger is still going to get to his happy place of crushing everything well before you do. This doesn't even go into the fact that the warlock doesn't get Archery for free.

Amnoriath
2016-01-09, 02:46 PM
1. You are correct, but most other official and homered patrons are mostly combat oriented. I don't see them losing too much.

2. Take a look at the change. Now, it should be that the most they could do would be 1d10+20, but that requires 20 dex, 20 charisma, sharpshooter, and lifedrinker. In most cases, they should have comparable damage to a ranger with a heavy crossbow.

1. But given how powerful your base is some of your spells seem kind of redundant and it could be traded.
2. Unfortunately that doesn't change much. Dexterity is important for a Warlock anyway and getting a 20 in 2 isn't that difficult even with Sharpshooter. A better way to start is get rid of Swift Quiver as that what really is making the huge difference.

Submortimer
2016-01-09, 02:56 PM
Unfortunately that doesn't change much. Dexterity is important for a Warlock anyway and getting a 20 in 2 isn't that difficult even with Sharpshooter. A better way to start is get rid of Swift Quiver as that what really is making the huge difference.

While I wouldn't say it's "not that difficult", it's still not easy. That being said, Swift Quiver was a thing I considered dropping, mostly due to the fact that it's really there to give rangers 4 attacks a round, and warlocks already get that (with eldritch blast, of course.).

What would you recommend replacing it with?

Jhyarelle
2016-01-09, 07:50 PM
While I wouldn't say it's "not that difficult", it's still not easy. That being said, Swift Quiver was a thing I considered dropping, mostly due to the fact that it's really there to give rangers 4 attacks a round, and warlocks already get that (with eldritch blast, of course.).

What would you recommend replacing it with?

1. Eldritch arrows as ranged spell attack: charisma to attack, affected by invocations that affect Eldritch blast, affected by Spell sniper feat.

2. Eldritch arrows as ranged weapon attacks: dexterity to attack and damage, affected by Archery fighting style, affected by Sharpshooter.

3. Regular arrows fired by the bow.

So I take it as far as extra attacks are concerned... Say you Bond with your HMB and have Thirsting Blade, you do not get the extra attack with Setting 1 cause setting 1 is the spell effect. Not to mention you already get multiple attacks at higher level with EB.

Do you get the extra attack from Thirsting Blade with settings 2 & 3 and effects like Fighting Style: Archery and Sharpshooter feat? I see it reasonable cause both ammo type and EA is treated as projectile fired form the weapon. The only difference I see is damage die cause setting 2 is a d10 or 10s + Dex mod and or flat + 10 form Sharpshooter and damage die from Setting 3 ammo type for type of bow chosen for you HMB. You do however only get an extra attack and any other way you can an extra attack like gaining levels from other classes are nullified.

This makes Setting 1 have an almost smiauto fire rate, while Setting 2 & 3 is more of a double tap.

I really see this build as a universal hunter type.
I suggest maybe add Chromatic orb to its spell list to hurt those with elemental weaknesses as you have a choice in what element the spell uses on casting. Being able to imbued to your arrow just add range and levels of coolness.
Shatter spell imbued to arrows can help take care of constructs and the like.
Any spell that does damage to specific alignments would be also useful.

OMG You just technically made Jean Starwind's Caster-gun concept form Outlaw Star in D&D 5E.

zeek0
2016-01-14, 06:42 AM
I would say that the inclusion of Scorching Ray and Fireball on the spell list radically goes against the theme of this sub-class. A few reasons:
Fire spells are in general against the aesthetic of the forest.
These spells are not subtle, like a hunter.
There are plenty of offensive options both similar and already available.

For similar reasons, I offer an alternative spell list:
1 Ensnaring Strike, Longstrider
2 Enhance Ability, Spike Growth
3 Phantom Steed, Lightning Arrow
4 Locate Creature, Freedom of Movement
5 Conjure Volley, Commune with Nature

I think that it better conjures up the image of a hunter, in tun with nature but inherently a predator. This is also a bit less offensively focused - I feel that a hunter archetype is about much more than hitting stuff arrows.

Also, I don't think that giving a Survival proficiency would be remiss.

I really like a lot about this however, you did good work!

deathbymanga
2016-01-14, 08:17 AM
what kind of lore would you give this patron? i'm not familiar enough with the Witcher series (still only on the first one) to know if the Wild Hunt has some supernatural patron behind it or not

M Placeholder
2016-01-14, 01:22 PM
The Wild Hunt (http://www.orkneyjar.com/tradition/hunt.htm) was part of European Folklore - basically, a supernatural being leading warriors and hounds on a hunt.

It was detailed in the Birthright setting, and also as part of the Planescape setting on mimir (http://mimir.net/outlands/wildhunt.shtml).

deathbymanga
2016-01-14, 01:47 PM
The Wild Hunt (http://www.orkneyjar.com/tradition/hunt.htm) was part of European Folklore - basically, a supernatural being leading warriors and hounds on a hunt.

It was detailed in the Birthright setting, and also as part of the Planescape setting on mimir (http://mimir.net/outlands/wildhunt.shtml).

wow, a sorta True Neutral Nature God that turns abandoned Death gods into hunting dogs to go hunt down worthy prey in the outlands. I definitely want to use this guy in a campaign of mine

Submortimer
2016-01-14, 02:15 PM
So I take it as far as extra attacks are concerned... Say you Bond with your HMB and have Thirsting Blade, you do not get the extra attack with Setting 1 cause setting 1 is the spell effect. Not to mention you already get multiple attacks at higher level with EB.

Do you get the extra attack from Thirsting Blade with settings 2 & 3 and effects like Fighting Style: Archery and Sharpshooter feat? I see it reasonable cause both ammo type and EA is treated as projectile fired form the weapon. The only difference I see is damage die cause setting 2 is a d10 or 10s + Dex mod and or flat + 10 form Sharpshooter and damage die from Setting 3 ammo type for type of bow chosen for you HMB. You do however only get an extra attack and any other way you can an extra attack like gaining levels from other classes are nullified.

Setting 1 is straight EB.

Setting 2 is also just EB, but dex to hit and damage. It is still casting a spell, not using the attack action. Thirsting blade and life drinker do not apply here.

Setting 3 is normal bow shots. Thirsting blade and Life drinker apply here.

Submortimer
2016-01-14, 03:49 PM
Also, near the end of the month, Middlet Finger of Vecna (link in my sig) will be posting a more final version of this subclass: redone spell list and cleaned up class abilities that fit more with the theme of hunting and winter.