PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Variant Human Fix [PEACH]

GandalfTheWhite
2015-07-26, 04:50 AM
Personally, I don't have a problem with it, but I know a lot of DMs don't like using the Variant Human because of the free feat at level 1. Here's my proposed alternate Variant Human for those who don't want to use the RAW VH in their games:

Ability Score Increase. You increase 2 ability scores of your choice by 1.
Hardy. You have advantage on death saving throws.
Innate Creativity. You have proficiency with improvised weapons. Any improvised weapons you use has the damage die and properties of the weapon it is most like. (A shard of glass would function as a dagger, a table leg would function as a mace.)
Skill Versatility. You gain proficiency in 2 skills.

This is just a proposed fix for those who don't like it as is, please let me know what you think/how you would fix it :D

DracoKnight
2015-07-26, 04:51 AM
Personally, I don't have a problem with it, but I know a lot of DMs don't like using the Variant Human because of the free feat at level 1. Here's my proposed alternate Variant Human for those who don't want to use the RAW VH in their games:

Ability Score Increase. You increase 2 ability scores of your choice by 1.
Hardy. You have advantage on death saving throws.
Innate Creativity. You have proficiency with improvised weapons. Any improvised weapons you use has the damage die and properties of the weapon it is most like. (A shard of glass would function as a dagger, a table leg would function as a morning mace.)
Skill Versatility. You gain proficiency in 2 skills.

This is just a proposed fix for those who don't like it as is, please let me know what you think/how you would fix it :D

I like it :)

PotatoGolem
2015-07-26, 10:17 AM
This seems a tad weak compared to the other races. It only really benefits a super suboptimal fighting style and death saves, both of which are sort of last resorts. Maybe add some more proficiencies to get that jack of all trades feeling? Two skills is good, but it's no better than half-elf, who also gets better stats and abilities.

eleazzaar
2015-07-26, 11:33 AM
Not to be harsh, but I can't imagine choosing this over the standard human. The only reason variant human only gets 2 ASI is to compensate for the very useful feat.

For comparison, here's my replacement for the variant human (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m7qG9BDQEH1pIykhmUb88f1--ghHvJZlV5QBJUtzTR4/edit#heading=h.kqpcn8kt8c8q).

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-27, 01:59 AM
I like it, but hardy is OP so say increase three abilities with one and the other features, but not hardy.