PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Sword of the Hunt [3.5 magical weapon]

gooddragon1
2015-07-27, 04:30 AM
Sword of the Hunt
This sword is made completely from mithril and has a blade the length of a longsword, but it has a handle of 2 feet in length. As a result, it requires a dexterity score of at least 12 to wield it one handed (this penalty does not apply when wielding it with both hands) without incurring a -2 penalty on attack rolls. While in this form, the sword acts as a +1 long sword with the bane enhancement against animals. As a free action, the wielder may will the handle of the sword to produce two slightly thinner hollow 2 foot segments. This cause the sword to function as a longspear instead. A free action can also be used to retract the segments. The segments can be mechanically produced or retracted as a full round action (provoking attacks of opportunity) without the use of the magic imbued in the spear. The sword grants its wielder a +4 luck bonus on initiative checks, fortitude saves against poison, and grapple checks. The sword weighs 3 pounds and is magically strengthened to the same hardness and hit points as adamantine. Druids and Rangers are automatically proficient with this weapon and do not require extra dexterity to wield it.

Moderate transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, bull's strength, bear's endurance, cat's grace; Price 21,500 gp.

===

I liked the sunblade (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#sunBlade), so I figured a less expensive but also cool weapon would be nice. Druid's just aren't strong enough so I gave them free proficiency with it.

The Mentalist
2015-07-27, 09:26 AM
No bow option?

Also, I feel like +4 to initiative is a big draw for a weapon. I need to pull out my Magic Item Compendium again but the effects of a (not at all bad) feat on a weapon is pretty nice for that price. Acting first isn't a big deal for classes that should be stereotypical sword wielders but I worry about it. I may have spent way too much time on the Char-Op boards but I'm seeing a Psion or any other caster that can avoid using their hands making sure that they act first by holding two. Maybe make it typed? Or doesn't stack with Improved Init? Or both? Or neither really. It's still an epic (as in cool, not over powered) weapon.

gooddragon1
2015-07-27, 05:57 PM
No bow option?

Also, I feel like +4 to initiative is a big draw for a weapon. I need to pull out my Magic Item Compendium again but the effects of a (not at all bad) feat on a weapon is pretty nice for that price. Acting first isn't a big deal for classes that should be stereotypical sword wielders but I worry about it. I may have spent way too much time on the Char-Op boards but I'm seeing a Psion or any other caster that can avoid using their hands making sure that they act first by holding two. Maybe make it typed? Or doesn't stack with Improved Init? Or both? Or neither really. It's still an epic (as in cool, not over powered) weapon.

Didn't think of someone holding two/made it a luck bonus.

As for the bow, I originally just thought of something that could be both a sword and a spear in a way like a sunblade is two kinds of weapons. It fit with a theme of hunting so that's what I went with. Wanted to make it low cost-ish so I went with a few additions, but not as much as a sunblade has.