PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Abilities that a Mage-Hunter is expected to have.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-07-28, 03:46 PM
Ignoring all the D&D baggage in which a non-spellcaster doesn't have a hope of meaningfully affecting an actual spellcaster, what kind of abilities you think are needed for a character that focuses on fighting mages of all types.

so far I have
Bypassing Magic protections, such as shields or barriers
Fooling divinations
high damage potential to deal with mages ASAP
Ways to deal with teletransportation
Disrupting spellcasting or dispelling spell effects
Protecting themselves from spells

Anything else that I'm missing?

Note: Game system is Anima Beyond Fantasy, which is balanced in the sense that everything is unbalanced, even non-casters have their ways to tell reality to shut up and sit down, though in different ways than casters so high level martial characters can fight and succeed against high level spellcasters (purely mundane characters are still screwed though).

noob
2015-07-28, 03:50 PM
It needs infinite reaction movement and attack speed to match the permanently time stopping casters.
he also needs immortality to physical damage and to relativistic time compression(because of the non magical black holes turned into chickens the magicians throws at you and who become back black holes just when it reach you or die)

Geddy2112
2015-07-28, 03:52 PM
The ability to detect or find magic users, even if they are shielded by magic or not actively using magic.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-07-28, 03:55 PM
I did say to ignore the D&D baggage as this wasn't for a D&D game (hence why it is in the general forum), in Anima there is no way (that I'm aware of) to permanently stop time, the only similar effect is an area one and it allows the equivalent of a saving throw to ignore the effects (or rather come into the time stop alongside the caster).

Keltest
2015-07-28, 04:04 PM
The ability to locate and detect magic and mages. An ability to protect themselves and their allies from forms of mental compulsion. Possibly a high level of knowledge about magic users and their capabilities.

LogosDragon
2015-07-28, 04:11 PM
Thirding detection, and then maybe an ability to hijack or reflect effects? I feel like the most effective mage-hunter would be one who's turning the necromancer's undead against themselves and deflecting the evoker's fireballs onto his summoned beasts, as opposed to one who's just highly resistant to magic and runs through it to sword everything. But I've never played Anima, so I don't know how it works there. Definitely an ability to prevent or end mental domination of allies; the first rule of wizarding, after all, is that the best solution to not having the right tool for a job is to manipulate someone who does, so don't let that happen.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-07-28, 04:11 PM
The ability to detect or find magic users, even if they are shielded by magic or not actively using magic.

The ability to locate and detect magic and mages. An ability to protect themselves and their allies from forms of mental compulsion. Possibly a high level of knowledge about magic users and their capabilities.

Detecting magic, how could I forget that, thanks.

Magical compulsion is rare (or at least it is in our games) so I hadn't really thought about it, but it is something that I probably should have in mind.

Edit: I'm not sure if reflecting and/or hijacking spells is possible, I would need to check if it is.

Keltest
2015-07-28, 04:15 PM
how about the ability to disable magical and mundane locks and traps, so they can get into wizards' lairs safely.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-07-28, 04:35 PM
Mundane locks and traps are covered by the (aptly named) Trap Lore skill, detecting magic is possible through an advantage (See the Supernatural).

dream
2015-07-28, 04:55 PM
How about a few spies, an excellent longbow, a well-stocked quiver, and ample poison:smallamused:

Wardog
2015-07-31, 06:02 AM
The ability to identify magic and determine what spells are being/have been cast. (Distinct from merely being able to detect magic).

Tarqiup Inua
2015-07-31, 08:50 AM
Political background that would make their disappearance a very bad day for the one who caused it and immunities to the spells that could effectively take them out without making them disappear.

Something like a very annoying and very fanatical inquisitor whose murder would lead to outlawing the official magical guild or something like that.

Rockoe10
2015-07-31, 09:12 AM
What about an ancient artifact passed down from previous mage hunters, crafted by a mage himself whom was tired of all his corrupted associates. The artifact would have a chance of either cancelling or 'hijacking' the spell to work in the mage hunter's favor

Edit for spelling... Mobile devices

Dusk Eclipse
2015-07-31, 10:42 AM
How about a few spies, an excellent longbow, a well-stocked quiver, and ample poison:smallamused:
Practical, but boring; though I admit it might be worthwhile to keep that in the backpocket would be a good idea, if only good poisons weren't so expensive.

The ability to identify magic and determine what spells are being/have been cast. (Distinct from merely being able to detect magic).

Great idea, though that is covered by the equivalent of a Spellcraft check, and I already have a very good modifier for my level.

Political background that would make their disappearance a very bad day for the one who caused it and immunities to the spells that could effectively take them out without making them disappear.

Something like a very annoying and very fanatical inquisitor whose murder would lead to outlawing the official magical guild or something like that.

That is something to talk with the DM, besides there aren't any official guilds as Magic, well supernatural stuff/powers in general) aren't supposed to be real, both the Government and the Church try to keep it under wrap viciously hunting down any known practitioners, my character is not a member of either but the long term plan is to eventually join the inquisition.

What about an ancient artifact passed down from previous mage hunters, crafted by a mage himself whom was tired of all his corrupted associates. The artifact would have a chance of either cancelling or 'hijacking' the spell to work in the mage hunter's favor

Edit for spelling... Mobile devices

I don't have enough resources at character building to get an artefact like that (I spent a lot of points getting a cursed sword >_<), but as I mentioned before the character has an innate ability to suppress active spells and prevent mages from casting.

dream
2015-08-01, 12:16 AM
Depends on the spellcaster because they're not all the same: the abilities required to kill Gandalf are not the same abilities needed to kill Harry Potter.

Wardog
2015-08-01, 03:21 AM
the abilities required to kill Gandalf
An army of goblins and wargs, some pine trees to trap him in, firewood, and something to keep the eagles away.

are not the same abilities needed to kill Harry Potter.
A gun, and/or being vaguely competent.

Edited to add:
On topic:
One thing that I don't think has been discussed but which would affect how the mage-hunter works and what abilities and equipment they have access to is "what is his relationship and attitude to mages in general?"

Is this a person who is opposed to all mages, and so would only have access to magic that he looted from enemy mages (assuming he wasn't opposed to that too), or got from a non-mage (assuming he/the setting distinguishes divine from arcane magic)? Or a person who works with mages to defeat other mages?

Also, is this person working with/for the authorities (e.g. some sort of anti-mage inquisition, or a wizards' guild that needs a way to combat unlicensed mages), or for some sort of secret society, or is he just a free-lance mage hunter? (And if the latter, do the other sorts exist as well?)

Vitruviansquid
2015-08-01, 03:38 AM
Hard to answer this question without knowing what abilities mages are expected to have.

Slipperychicken
2015-08-01, 12:34 PM
Hard to answer this question without knowing what abilities mages are expected to have.

Pretty much this. OP mentioned "no D&D baggage", then immediately listed off abilities that are almost exclusive to D&D 3.5.

I think the very least you need is detective skills, to examine a person's dwelling to figure out if he's a wizard or not. One might also have some method or ritualized torture to determine if someone is a magician. Aside from the ability to identify magicians, all you really need is manpower to lop their heads off or stick them into a pyre.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-08-01, 12:52 PM
Depends on the spellcaster because they're not all the same: the abilities required to kill Gandalf are not the same abilities needed to kill Harry Potter.

Those are rather extreme examples, and the capabilities of mages in the game vary a lot between them, but I'd say the would be closer to early Negi's springfield (from Mahou Sensei Negima) than Gandalf or Harry. That it a lot of flashy effects and attacks.

An army of goblins and wargs, some pine trees to trap him in, firewood, and something to keep the eagles away.

A gun, and/or being vaguely competent.

Edited to add:
On topic:
One thing that I don't think has been discussed but which would affect how the mage-hunter works and what abilities and equipment they have access to is "what is his relationship and attitude to mages in general?"

Is this a person who is opposed to all mages, and so would only have access to magic that he looted from enemy mages (assuming he wasn't opposed to that too), or got from a non-mage (assuming he/the setting distinguishes divine from arcane magic)? Or a person who works with mages to defeat other mages?

Also, is this person working with/for the authorities (e.g. some sort of anti-mage inquisition, or a wizards' guild that needs a way to combat unlicensed mages), or for some sort of secret society, or is he just a free-lance mage hunter? (And if the latter, do the other sorts exist as well?)

The character is pretty much a solo hunter, without ties to an specific organization at first. As mentioned before supernatural abilities, whether actual magic or not, are forbidden and prosecuted by the Church and the government. The main reason the character hunts mages is actually a meta-game one, I simply want to play one; I'll admit I haven't given his reasons much though yet as the game isn't scheduled to start until August 15th. I build my character's mechanics first and then work from there to give them back-story.

Pretty much this. OP mentioned "no D&D baggage", then immediately listed off abilities that are almost exclusive to D&D 3.5.

I think the very least you need is detective skills, to examine a person's dwelling to figure out if he's a wizard or not. One might also have some method or ritualized torture to determine if someone is a magician. Aside from the ability to identify magicians, all you really need is manpower to lop their heads off or stick them into a pyre.

By non-D&D baggage I meant that in this setting/game non mages actually can fight mages on relatively even terms, as in it is possible to build and play a mage hunter without being a mage. I listed those abilities because as a primary D&D player I'm used to think in those terms, I'm sorry if that was confusing or misleading.

zinycor
2015-08-01, 01:10 PM
The character is pretty much a solo hunter, without ties to an specific organization at first. As mentioned before supernatural abilities, whether actual magic or not, are forbidden and prosecuted by the Church and the government. The main reason the character hunts mages is actually a meta-game one, I simply want to play one; I'll admit I haven't given his reasons much though yet as the game isn't scheduled to start until August 15th. I build my character's mechanics first and then work from there to give them back-story.

I don't think a loner is a good character for this concept. Sure, a weak mage can be easily defeated by one mage hunter, But I would expect that magic hunters are more used to work on teams.

I would see them having abilities that would allow them to detect magic and/ or magic users. Abilities that allow them to characterize them, let's say, somehting that allows them to know what kind of abilities he should expect from a mage and how experienced that mage is. besides that, I would expect them to be kinda roguish, setting up traps and abusing whatever weakness the mages may have.

They should also have some sort of magic abilities (or maybe gadgets) that would give them defenses against magic, specially to bypass detection.

I would totally expect an organization to work with him or at least that he used to work for. Maybe he used to be a mage hunter for the church.

In the end, I would use a rogue chracter, and give it "magic" abilities related to perception, stealth and mobility. I feel working as a loner would be kinda of a No, which would be fine since I asume that you are working with a party anyway.

You should also have a way to capture mages without killing them, for interrogation purposes.

I don't have enough resources at character building to get an artefact like that (I spent a lot of points getting a cursed sword >_<), but as I mentioned before the character has an innate ability to suppress active spells and prevent mages from casting.

Isn't it posible to change from a sword to any ranged weapon, like a bow, crossbow or sniper rifle. Even a dagger would be better...

(I don't really like swords all that much)

Ralanr
2015-08-01, 02:45 PM

Practical, but boring; though I admit it might be worthwhile to keep that in the backpocket would be a good idea, if only good poisons weren't so expensive.

Boring, but works. I had the similar concept when building a magic artifact tracker and eliminator in 5e (Yes I know you didn't want D&D connections, sorry). His main method of strategy when knowing he has to deal with a mage is to be very, very far away with his crossbow and take the caster out before the caster can guess where he is.

Other things to keep in mind: Backup plans. Lots and lots of backup plans. The problem when a caster is that they can eliminate entire city blocks with the right spell. So any plan you think is, "perfect" is anything but. Always have a backup.

Knowledge- How can you expect to take down mages if you know nothing about them? You should go beyond studying your opponent, you must study the power itself. Understand the limits of magic, how long it can last, how quick it can come out. You don't need to caste magic, but understanding its strengths will lead to uncovering its weaknesses.

Tools- Use whatever you can. I don't mean overload on so many tools that you're lugging a backpack of gadgets. I mean that you shouldn't avoid some tools based on principle. Even a magic item will come in handy when fighting a magic user (within reason. Some items are not worth the use cause of curses or something). The guy I made in 5e is an arcane trickster who mainly focuses on understanding rituals, he uses a crow familiar to gather intelligence from other crows in the area. He'll use magic, but he doesn't rely on it 100%, preferring a crossbow to anything else. He'd work perfectly well as a thief rogue with ritual caster.

Identity- This is not a job for someone with an inflated ego. You don't want to leave anything that can give future opponents a hint of what to prepare for. Not even a name or a mask. You want to keep your identity as hidden as possible, not even using the same mask each time. Leave as little as possible for you to be tracked.

Time- Use the power of a caster against them, take time to gauge the opponent. Scout out their home, master their security, document their schedules.

Coffee- or the fantasy equivalent. You'll have a few sleepless nights depending on how powerful this caster is.

Sadly this does mean you need to use magic to beat magic. The lack of anti-magic in fantasy bothers me. But what's more important? Beating the caster, or beating the magic? That's the question that makes an effective mage hunter.

Edit: Daggers are the best weapon to have just because of how you can hide them so easily. Knives are also pretty abundant in most civilized areas. I prefer axes myself, or a pole arm. But mage hunting probably needs more subtly than either of those provide.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-08-01, 03:28 PM
I don't think a loner is a good character for this concept. Sure, a weak mage can be easily defeated by one mage hunter, But I would expect that magic hunters are more used to work on teams.

I would see them having abilities that would allow them to detect magic and/ or magic users. Abilities that allow them to characterize them, let's say, somehting that allows them to know what kind of abilities he should expect from a mage and how experienced that mage is. besides that, I would expect them to be kinda roguish, setting up traps and abusing whatever weakness the mages may have.

They should also have some sort of magic abilities (or maybe gadgets) that would give them defenses against magic, specially to bypass detection.

I would totally expect an organization to work with him or at least that he used to work for. Maybe he used to be a mage hunter for the church.

In the end, I would use a rogue chracter, and give it "magic" abilities related to perception, stealth and mobility. I feel working as a loner would be kinda of a No, which would be fine since I asume that you are working with a party anyway.

You should also have a way to capture mages without killing them, for interrogation purposes.

Isn't it posible to change from a sword to any ranged weapon, like a bow, crossbow or sniper rifle. Even a dagger would be better...

(I don't really like swords all that much)

I can't really be a part of the church as part of back-story because it would have way too much baggage that wouldn't be compatible with a party unless ALL the other characters would also be member, it is kind of an all or nothing. By loner would be at the start of the game, being pretty much a self-taught hunter who is barely starting (we will start at level 2) and yes, he is a very rogue-esque character with a decent amount of skills pretty much maxed for the level.

And the cursed sword is actually a pretty good assassination weapon as it bonds to the wielder, "drilling" into the arm where it stays hidden, almost undetectable by any means until the wielder wills it to come out. It also gives the wielder the power to bring forth up to 4 razor sharp whips which give up to 4 extra attacks per round at a relatively low penalty to attack rolls. A pretty kickass weapon even if it is a quasi-daemonic entity whose title is the "Joystealer".

Boring, but works. I had the similar concept when building a magic artifact tracker and eliminator in 5e (Yes I know you didn't want D&D connections, sorry). His main method of strategy when knowing he has to deal with a mage is to be very, very far away with his crossbow and take the caster out before the caster can guess where he is.

Other things to keep in mind: Backup plans. Lots and lots of backup plans. The problem when a caster is that they can eliminate entire city blocks with the right spell. So any plan you think is, "perfect" is anything but. Always have a backup.

Knowledge- How can you expect to take down mages if you know nothing about them? You should go beyond studying your opponent, you must study the power itself. Understand the limits of magic, how long it can last, how quick it can come out. You don't need to caste magic, but understanding its strengths will lead to uncovering its weaknesses.

Tools- Use whatever you can. I don't mean overload on so many tools that you're lugging a backpack of gadgets. I mean that you shouldn't avoid some tools based on principle. Even a magic item will come in handy when fighting a magic user (within reason. Some items are not worth the use cause of curses or something). The guy I made in 5e is an arcane trickster who mainly focuses on understanding rituals, he uses a crow familiar to gather intelligence from other crows in the area. He'll use magic, but he doesn't rely on it 100%, preferring a crossbow to anything else. He'd work perfectly well as a thief rogue with ritual caster.

Identity- This is not a job for someone with an inflated ego. You don't want to leave anything that can give future opponents a hint of what to prepare for. Not even a name or a mask. You want to keep your identity as hidden as possible, not even using the same mask each time. Leave as little as possible for you to be tracked.

Time- Use the power of a caster against them, take time to gauge the opponent. Scout out their home, master their security, document their schedules.

Coffee- or the fantasy equivalent. You'll have a few sleepless nights depending on how powerful this caster is.

Sadly this does mean you need to use magic to beat magic. The lack of anti-magic in fantasy bothers me. But what's more important? Beating the caster, or beating the magic? That's the question that makes an effective mage hunter.

Edit: Daggers are the best weapon to have just because of how you can hide them so easily. Knives are also pretty abundant in most civilized areas. I prefer axes myself, or a pole arm. But mage hunting probably needs more subtly than either of those provide.

Wow, that gives me a lot to work with, thank you very much.

Ralanr
2015-08-01, 03:32 PM
Wow, that gives me a lot to work with, thank you very much.

You're welcome. I enjoy thinking of anti-caster strategies a bit too much than I should...probably because there aren't enough.

zinycor
2015-08-01, 03:48 PM
From this point on everything I'll tell you is only a recomendation, feel free to ignore each suggestion as you feel.

I can't really be a part of the church as part of back-story because it would have way too much baggage that wouldn't be compatible with a party unless ALL the other characters would also be member, it is kind of an all or nothing. By loner would be at the start of the game, being pretty much a self-taught hunter who is barely starting (we will start at level 2) and yes, he is a very rogue-esque character with a decent amount of skills pretty much maxed for the level.

And the cursed sword is actually a pretty good assassination weapon as it bonds to the wielder, "drilling" into the arm where it stays hidden, almost undetectable by any means until the wielder wills it to come out. It also gives the wielder the power to bring forth up to 4 razor sharp whips which give up to 4 extra attacks per round at a relatively low penalty to attack rolls. A pretty kickass weapon even if it is a quasi-daemonic entity whose title is the "Joystealer".

Are you you can't be a former member of the church? It would give you very understandable reason to have learned your skills and some contacts inside the church. (Which I guess would be one of the the main antagonists, so a little of info from the inside would be nice to have).

As for self taught... I don't really like it, mainly because it seems like a job that you have to learn a lot of things (Not only the abilities of a rogue, but lots of things related to magic), having your character being member of some organization would be the most plausible and the most fun.

I'll ask you to reconsider the idea of being a loner, since working as a member of a team is one of the most important things on assasination, and would give you motivation to work with the people on your party. Loner characters, more often than not, end up being boring, since they have to cover for many abilities they can't really shine at anything, having a team you are willing to work with allows you to specialize. And having a backstory as a team player, really makes it much more easy for everyone to accept your character and for your character to accept them.

If you like the sword that's awesome ;). I would nonetheless have a ranged weapon as a back-up.

Having said that, i hope you flesh out a nice backstory for this character and have lots of fun with your party :D

Mechalich
2015-08-01, 04:15 PM
Most magical systems presume that magic is phenomenally powerful when unleashes but has some sort of build-time or lead up before it can activate. The most important abilities in such scenarios are: stealth, the ability to defeat static defenses (including magical ones) without detection, and overwhelming first-strike capability.

That's why the longbow approach works: mages are like battlesuits, they're much easier to kill outside of the armor. In this the armor takes the form of whatever spell suite the mage puts together.

Ultimately, stealth-based first-strike capability (ie. sniping) is extremely powerful in almost any scenario when the target's primary powers require activation in any way. Sniping kills wizards, shounen-protags, mecha pilots, and summoners with great efficacy.

Yes, its boring - killing the enemy in one-hit before they get to do anything is narratively unsatisfying, but then so is decisive victory of almost any kind.

goto124
2015-08-01, 10:17 PM
Those suggesting some sort of background: Isn't that a setting-dependant thing? OP will have to ask the DM what organizations are already there and what he's allowed.

Also, the DM may not be happy with the 'kill him before he even starts' tactic, precisely because it's so unstatisfying.