PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Be careful what you wish for...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-04, 03:39 PM
Genie, Fikri

http://my.photosleeve.com/TheVorpalTribble-albums/album03/ajh.jpg

Medium Outsider (extraplanar, psionic)
Hit Dice: 5d8+10 (32 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 50 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 19 (+2 dex, +5 insight, +2 natural), touch 17, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+6
Attack: Slam +6 melee (1d4+1)
Full Attack: 2 slams +6 melee (1d4+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Deathwish, psi-like abilities
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., mindshift, naturally psionic, outsider traits, sage scribing
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +9, Will +10
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 20, Wis 18, Cha 19
Skills: Autohypnosis +14, Bluff +16, Concentration +13, Diplomacy +16, Hide +10, Gather Information +12, Intimidate +14, Knowledge (psionics, plus any other two) +13 (+15 psionics), Search +13, Sense Motive +12, Psicraft +15
Feats: Improved Initiative(B), Insightful Reflexes, Iron Will
Environment: Astral Plane
Organization: Solitary, company (2-4), or band (6-15)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: Triple standard items (psionic tatoos only)
Alignment: Usually neutral evil
Advancement: 6-10 HD (Medium); 11-19 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: +5

A fikri appears as a tall, gaunt man or woman of extreme age, though this is belied by the obvious ease of movement and wirey strength. Strangely beautiful tatoos of indigo colors are etched into their chalky skin, most elaborately upon their cranium. Their bright, glowing blue eyes are glazed over and seemingly unseeing.

Fikri are genies from the Astral Plane. Many claim they are not true genies, but though even their more well known brethren would disown them if they could, they must admit to the kinship. Fikri are parasites in every sense of the word, preying upon the life force and mental energies of others. Disguising themselves as noble djinn and efreeti they rarely have to seek out their prey but instead await them to come seeking wishes. These they eagerly grant, though not as the wish seekers had thought.

In their native homes Fikri are most often found in incredibly strange and beautiful structures mentally fashioned straight from the ectoplasm of the plane itself. It is here that they bring their victims to feed upon at their convenience. Fikri are by far the most solitary of the genies and rarely share their homes with others. Astral constructs are brought into being and semi-permanently solidified to perform chores and tasks.

Fikri are great scholars, though rarely have any sort of recordings of what they discover, instead memorizing everything they learn and keeping it locked within their minds. With so little needs their homes prove to hold little more than amusements for the fikri when they are not engaged elsewhere.

A fikri is about 6 feet tall and weighs 150 lbs. Fikri speak Common, Gith, and Undercommon.

Combat
Fikri generally allow themselves to be 'captured' after putting up only a minimal fight under the guise of a djinn. They then graciously grant a wish to the willing being, putting them into a joyous coma and explaining it away as part of the wish. They will attempt to put off suspicions as long as possible to grant these wishes. They will then grab up all they can and whisk them away to the astral plane.

Deathwish (Ps): As a standard action a Fikri can grant a 'wish' to a being. It may attempt a touch attack and if the target does not succeed on a DC 17 will save they slip into a world of their own mind as the Microcosm power. What they experience is their heart's deepest desire. Each day they may make another save to free themselves, the DC increasing by +1 each day. The save DC is Intelligence-based.

A Fikri can deal 1d6+1 Constitution damage per day from a victim under the affects of deathwish, often scribing tatoos of sustenance upon them to meet their bodily needs as it slowly drains their life force. For every two damage it deals it may add 1 point to any of its ability scores. This bonus lasts for 24 hours.

Mindshift (Su): A fikri can enter the Astral Plane, Region of Dreams, or the Material Plane. This ability transports the genie and up to eight other creatures, provided they all link hands with the genie. It is otherwise similiar to Plane Shift or Dream Travel.

Naturally Psionic (Ex): Fikri gain 1 bonus power point.

Psi-like Abilities: Manifester level 10th. Save DC's are Charisma-based.
At will - Cloud Mind (DC 16), Read Thoughts (DC 16).
3/day - Astral Construct (5th level), False Sensory Input (DC 17, 3 targets), Psychic Vampire (DC 18), Wall of Ectoplasm.
1/day - Aura Alteration.

Sage Scribing (Ex): Fikri gain Scribe Psionic Tatoo as a bonus feat. They are considered to possess the prerequisites necessary to craft any psionic tatoo, even if they do not otherwise meet the requirements or have the ability to manifest the necessary powers.

Skills: A fikri gains a +4 racial bonus to Bluff and Concentrate checks.

DracoDei
2007-05-04, 04:29 PM
Overall I like. Most players would be rather suspicious at being able to defeat a creature that can grant Wish at level 5... but others might not be able to resist the temptation. This might be one of the very few situations where you might consider allowing a contested Diplomacy/Sense Motive roll to over-ride player control of their characters. Perhaps with a Knowledge(Arcana) and/or Knowledge(The Planes) rolls against a fixed DC to realize that something is up (only one of the two needs to succeed.

A Fikri can siphon 1d6+1 Constitution damage per day from a victim under the affects of deathwish, often scribing tatoos of sustenance upon them to meet their bodily needs as it slowly drains their life force.
This seems unnecessarily power intensive. Most creatures are only going to live 2 to 4 days with that Constitution drain happening. Simply having a servant (or personally) dribbling water down their throat one or two times per day should be quite sufficient. For tougher things, a broth with maybe a little honey mixed in would do quite well...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-04, 09:30 PM
Overall I like. Most players would be rather suspicious at being able to defeat a creature that can grant Wish at level 5... but others might not be able to resist the temptation. This might be one of the very few situations where you might consider allowing a contested Diplomacy/Sense Motive roll to over-ride player control of their characters. Perhaps with a Knowledge(Arcana) and/or Knowledge(The Planes) rolls against a fixed DC to realize that something is up (only one of the two needs to succeed.
I dunno, a couple more levels and both major genies can grant 3 wishes. The players may just think they are facing a much tougher foe and will have to work at it. This guy would probably pretend to be weakened or set himself up in a position that would make it easier for the players to defeat normally. They are pretty wiley.

This seems unnecessarily power intensive. Most creatures are only going to live 2 to 4 days with that Constitution drain happening. Simply having a servant (or personally) dribbling water down their throat one or two times per day should be quite sufficient. For tougher things, a broth with maybe a little honey mixed in would do quite well...
Well, this is assuming he wishes to drain them every day. He could have dozens that he drains a little from so that he always has just enough in case of hard times.

And this is assuming it only goes after humans with a low Con.

DracoDei
2007-05-05, 02:16 AM
I dunno, a couple more levels and both major genies can grant 3 wishes. The players may just think they are facing a much tougher foe and will have to work at it. This guy would probably pretend to be weakened or set himself up in a position that would make it easier for the players to defeat normally. They are pretty wiley.
Well, OK, but he is pretending to be something stronger than he is, and then pretending to have luck go against him so... should be quite doable.

Well, this is assuming he wishes to drain them every day. He could have dozens that he drains a little from so that he always has just enough in case of hard times.

And this is assuming it only goes after humans with a low Con.
Doh! <Smacks forehead> Yeah, it might keep at least a few as reserves... but might be more efficient to keep the BEST of its catches this way totally untapped and just have the servants 'water and broth' the rest.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-05, 10:15 AM
Well, OK, but he is pretending to be something stronger than he is, and then pretending to have luck go against him so... should be quite doable.
Those were my thoughts at least. He is also the same CR as a normal Djinn and its easy to forget that only the Noble Djinn can grant the wishes. I've scoured the MM and I'd forgotten it.

sigurd
2007-05-05, 10:45 AM
I like it.

It reminds me very much of an episode of Supernatural. A blue skinned djinn was
"granting wishes" inside the drugged sleep of dying victims.

Still I like it as a beastie.

Sig

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-05, 10:51 AM
I like it.

It reminds me very much of an episode of Supernatural. A blue skinned djinn was
"granting wishes" inside the drugged sleep of dying victims.

Still I like it as a beastie.
That was actually what inspired this. I admit to being a Supernatural fanatic :smallredface:

And it wasn't blue-skinned if you look closely. It was all elaborate tatoos.

Matthew
2007-05-15, 09:03 PM
I like the idea. Pity it has to rely on Psionics, but I guess it's kinda 'your thing' :smallwink:

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-15, 09:11 PM
I like the idea. Pity it has to rely on Psionics, but I guess it's kinda 'your thing' :smallwink:
Well, except the entire concept really wouldn't work well with magic.

And btw, I've made very few psionic beasts, so there :smallsigh:

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-15, 09:12 PM
Bah. Begone, Psi-hater! :smallwink:

This creature is awesome.

It's also a VT creation.

Wait, I just repeated myself, didn't I?:smallbiggrin:

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-15, 09:21 PM
Well, if its so nice anyone interested in helping me playtest it to make sure its CR is correct?

Matthew
2007-05-15, 09:37 PM
Well, except the entire concept really wouldn't work well with magic.
Wait, that totally goes against the grain of most Psi talk I ever hear? Aren't Psioics just magic by another name? I'm not clear on why it wouldn't be able to work without Psionics?

And btw, I've made very few psionic beasts, so there :smallsigh:
Haha. Indeed, not what I was meaning. What I meant was, you're not likely to change this aspect of the Monster.

How were you proposing to test it out?

Jack Mann
2007-05-15, 09:54 PM
No, psionics doesn't work quite like magic. There's a fairly sizable mechanical and in-game difference between the two. They both work fairly well in the same setting, but some powers just aren't duplicated by any existing spells, and some things just work better thematically with psionics.

Matthew
2007-05-15, 10:13 PM
Yes, there are mechanical differences, but I'm still not clear why this couldn't be adapted for use with Arcane Spell casting? You'd just power it with Spell Slots, wouldn't you?

Jack Mann
2007-05-15, 10:23 PM
Yes and no. You'd have to create new spells that mimic the powers, as well as come up with an arcane equivilant to psionic tattoo, including a list of these tattoos that are available.

It could be done, but it would be much, much harder than simply using the psionic system.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-27, 08:59 PM
Ok, here is about the closest I can come to the spell equivalents of its powers.

Spell-like Abilities: Caster level 10th. Save DC's are Charisma-based.
At will - Greater Invisibility, Detect Thoughts.
3/day - Hallucinatory Terrain, Mind Fog, Minor Image, Summon Monster III, Wall of Fire.
1/day - Remove Curse, Undetectable Alignment

Deathwish and Sage Scribing don't have an equivalent, so just not much you can do there. The Scribe Psionic Tatoos could basically be redone to Brew Potion, but that'd kinda kill the feel of it.

Kyace
2007-07-27, 11:26 PM
Even if the save DCs increase +1 per day, players will roll a 20 eventually. A ECL 5 group is about 4 levels shy of plane shift (2 shy for dismissal for that matter) so how exactly do they get home? Or must they each keep fighting the fikri one-by-one weaponless until they can somehow defeat it and make it Mindshift them home?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-28, 07:57 AM
Even if the save DCs increase +1 per day, players will roll a 20 eventually. A ECL 5 group is about 4 levels shy of plane shift (2 shy for dismissal for that matter) so how exactly do they get home? Or must they each keep fighting the fikri one-by-one weaponless until they can somehow defeat it and make it Mindshift them home?
It can't just go over and touch them and transport. They actually have to go over and link hands with the thing.

Kyace
2007-07-28, 09:51 PM
Actually, I mean say a group loses a couple members to the Wish and the monster runs away with the dreaming members (Assuming you can link hands with the sleeping). The members will likely make their saves within a couple days but will likely be on another plane. Must they roll up new chars or is there some way I'm missing where they could return?