PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New races and balance.

Calen
2015-08-02, 11:26 AM
Hi,
Looking for help balancing a couple of races. Please let me know if these seem alright or if I need to go back to the drawing board. Thanks.

Orcs (The charisma here may seem a little non-orcish. Blame the players in my last campaign. They did some things…)
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution Increases by 1 and your Strength increases by 1.
Ability Score Choice. Choose Strength, Constitution or Charisma. Increase that attribute by 1.
Speed. 30 feet.
Size. Medium 6 to 7 feet tall. Maturity, early teens. Lifepsan 60-70 years.
Dominating Physique. Proficient in Intimidation
Brutal Combatants. When dealing damage you may reroll 1’s on your damage dice. You must use the new result.
Darkvision. Thanks to your orc blood, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Bloodlust. As a reaction to taking damage you can enter a bloodrage. This last for 1 minute. You have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing and slashing damage for the duration of the bloodlust. In addition you have advantage on all attacks that you make against the creature that damaged you when you entered the rage. You must finish an extended rest before you can Bloodlust again. If you have access to the Barbarian Rage feature you instead gain +1 rages per day.
Languages. You can speak and write Common and Orcish

Borek
A race of creatures closely tied to the magic in the world around them. Their eyes are webs of energy across their face which many other races find entrancing.
Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma Increases by 1.
Ability Score Choice. Choose Intelligence or Charisma. Increase that attribute by 2.
Speed. 30 feet.
Size. Medium 4.5 to 5.5 feet tall. Maturity, late teens. Lifepsan 80-100 years.
Darkvision. You have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light.
Magical Vision. You can cast the Detect Magic spell. At 5th level you can cast See Invisibility and at 15th level you can cast Eyebite. You can cast each of these spells once per day, Charisma is your casting ability for these spells.
Steeped in magic. You have proficiency in the Arcana skill.
Languages. You can speak and write Common and Draconic

Ninja_Prawn
2015-08-02, 11:58 AM
Looks mostly ok... one thing to watch out for is allowing +3 to a stat (as the Borek has to Cha). Using the standard array or point buy, you can't get higher than 15, which means with a +2 you have 17. Allowing 18s at level 1... changes the feel of the game a little.

Overall though, I don't think the Borek has too much. The spellcasting progression is unusual but probably ok. +3 Cha is basically their one selling point.

Torched Forever
2015-08-02, 01:46 PM
Pretty balanced except for bloodlust. Even later in the game the basic damage types are still common and the advantage is great for fighting solo monsters. This is almost a 1/LR encounter win.

Borek is a little weak except for the possible +3. The +3 means 18s at 1st level with point-buy and 20s on either a 17 or an 18 for rolling. You might want to look at Tiefling for balancing.

Calen
2015-08-02, 01:46 PM
Looks mostly ok... one thing to watch out for is allowing +3 to a stat (as the Borek has to Cha). Using the standard array or point buy, you can't get higher than 15, which means with a +2 you have 17. Allowing 18s at level 1... changes the feel of the game a little.

Overall though, I don't think the Borek has too much. The spellcasting progression is unusual but probably ok. +3 Cha is basically their one selling point.

Thanks for the feedback. Are you recommending that I tone down the CHA (maybe adding something else) or that the +3 is OK? Your second and last sentences seem contradictory.

@Torched Recommendations? I basically tried to tone down the Barbarian rage a good deal.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-08-02, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Are you recommending that I tone down the CHA (maybe adding something else) or that the +3 is OK? Your second and last sentences seem contradictory.

Overall, I think it's ok. It's just something to keep an eye on. And be aware that some DMs won't like it.