PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Barbarian: Path of the Warcryer

Silvanshei
2015-08-02, 12:53 PM
This is my second conversion to 5e for my campaign. I think the warcries are not really balanced at this point, but not sure in which direction. Any help/opinions would be appreciated.

Warcry
Beginning at 3rd level, you learn two warcries, which are detailed under "Warcries" below. You learn an additional warcry at 7th, 10th, and 14th level. Unless otherwise stated, you can use a warcry as a bonus action during a rage. Due to the stress these cause to your vocal cords, you can only use a number of warcries equal to your Constitution modifier. You regain all of your expended uses when you finish a short or long rest. Some warcries require your target to make a saving throw to resist the warcries affects. The saving throw DC is calculated as 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier.

Echoing Blades
Starting at 6th level, using unique breathing techniques you can hold your breathe for twice as long as normal.

Pranayama
At 10th level, your weapons resonate with your voice. After using any warcry, the melee attacks that you make deals an additional 1d6 thunder damage until you the end of your turn.

Powerful Voice
Starting at 14th level, your mighty voice can be heard for great distances. The range for all warcries doubles. You can also use a warcry without using your bonus action once. You may not use this ability again until after a short rest.

Warcries
The warcries are presented in alphabetical order. If a warcry requires a level, you must be that level in this class to learn the warcry.

Battle Command (10th Level Required): You command your allies in battle. Choose an ally within 15 feet. They gain a +2 bonus to AC, has advantage on Dexterity saving throws, and an additional action on its next turn. You may target an additional ally at 14th level.

Battlecry: With this warcry you bolster your allies, granting them additional damage with melee weapons. All allies within 15 feet gain a bonus equal to half your proficiency bonus on all melee weapon damage rolls until the start of your next turn. This bonus increases to your proficiency bonus at 10th level.

Battle Orders (14th Level Required): You order you allies around, making them harder to pin down. All allies within 15 feet gain the benefits of a freedom of movement spell for 3 rounds.

Bellow: You release a bellow so loud it actually causes physical harm. You deal 1d8 + Constitution modifier thunder damage to all creatures in a 15 foot cone. A successful Constitution saving throw halves this damage. The damage increases by 1d8 at 7th, 10th, and 14th level.

Call to arms: Your instinct kicks in as you call you allies to prepare for battle. This warcry may be used at the start of combat before initiative is rolled so long as you are not surprised. All allies within 15 feet gain advantage on their initiative rolls. This warcry may be used while not raging.

Cheer: You cheer on you allies. All allies within 15 feet gain advantage on their next saving throw made for 1 minute.

Howl (7th Level Required): This howl dazes those caught in its blast. All creatures within a 15 foot cone must make a Constitution save or be slowed, as per the slow spell, for their next turn.

Invigorating Roar (7th Level Required) This warcry fills your allies with vigor, granting them temporary hit points. You spend one Hit Die and all allies within 15 feet gain temporary hit points equal to the roll. These hit points last for 1 minute. You may spend an additional Hit Die at 7th, 10th, and 14th level.

Piercing Scream (10th Level Required): This warcry is able to shatter the very essence of magic. Choose one creature, object, or magical effect within 30 feet. Any spell of 3rd level or lower on the target ends. For each spell of 4th level or higher on the target, make a constitution check. The DC equals 10 + the spell's level. On a successful check, the spell ends.

Scream (7th Level Required): This warcry fills your opponents with dread. All enemies within a 15 foot cone must make a Wisdom saving throw or drop what they are wielding and become frightened until the end of your next turn.

Shout: You shout at your enemies knocking them back. All creatures in a 15 ft. cone must make a Strength check or be knocked back 10 feet. This distance increases to 20 feet at 9th level, and again to 30 feet at 17th level. If an object prevents the creature from moving the whole distance, they take 1d6 damage per 5 feet that they could not move Any creature pushed back at least 20 feet also fall prone.

Shriek: This ear piercing shriek dazes the enemy. All enemies within a 15 foot cone must make a Constitution check or have disadvantage on their next ability check, attack roll, or saving throw.

Wail (14h Level Required): You release a terrible wail, paralyzing those in front of you. All creatures within a 15 foot cone must make a Wisdom save or be paralyzed until the end of your next turn.

EDIT: changed the primary stat to Constitution, like it was supposed to be. Reworded some warcries to make them more understandable.

Torched Forever
2015-08-02, 01:41 PM
Quote is condensed and comments are in the line

Warcry
Beginning at 3rd level, you learn two warcries, which are detailed under "Warcries" below. Unless otherwise stated, you can use a warcry as a bonus action during a rage. You learn an additional warcry at 7th, 10th, and 14th level. Some warcries require your target to make a saving throw to resist the warcries affects. The saving throw DC is calculated as 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier. Charisma does not see a lot of support for Barbarian. While this is true of Fighter as well, you might want to key more abilities in the subclass off of Charisma as this is not a true 1/3 caster. Also, you may need some text about what level and the spell casting ability for the spell-like warcries are. You might want to limit how many warcries you can make per long/short rest as many are overpowered if used every turn.

Echoing Blades
Starting at 6th level, you weapons resonate with your voice. After using any warcry, the next melee attack that you make deals an additional 1d6 thunder damage. The 6th level features for the Barbarian subclasses are usually more utility based than extra damage. This feature is probably balanced in terms of power however.

Pranayama
At 10th level, using unique breathing techniques you can use a warcry without using your bonus action once. You may not use this ability again until after a short rest. You also gain the ability to hold your breathe for twice as long.
This feature allows you to use two warcries in one turn. I'm not sure if this was intentional or not.

Powerful Voice
Starting at 14th level, your mighty voice can be heard for great distances. The range for all warcries doubles and your normal voice can be heard from twice the normal distance as a normal person. These features rely heavily on the warcries for power. This means that they need to be a major focus for balancing as the subclass features are pretty weak.

Warcries
The warcries are presented in alphabetical order. If a warcry requires a level, you must be that level in this class to learn the warcry.

Battle Command (10th Level Required): You command your allies in battle. Choose an ally within 15 feet. They gain the benefits of the haste spell during their next turn. You may target an additional ally at 14th level. +2 AC, increased movement, and near double damage output every turn is overpowered. This is a huge boost for your party during a rage.

Battlecry: With this warcry you bolster your allies, granting them additional damage with melee weapons. All allies within 15 feet gain a bonus equal to your proficiency bonus on all melee weapon damage rolls until the start of your next turn. This is a very powerful ability. Even if it only effects 1-2 people you can use it every turn to great effect.

Battle Orders (14th Level Required): You order you allies around, making them harder to pin down. All allies within 15 feet gain the benefits of a freedom of movement spell for 3 rounds. Not extremely powerful as it just grants improved movement and probably fine for 14th level.

Bellow: You release a bellow so loud it actually causes physical harm. You deal 1d8 + Constitution modifier thunder damage to all creatures in a 15 foot cone. A successful Constitution saving throw halves this damage. The damage increases by 1d8 at 7th, 10th, and 14th level. Good damage supplement in general and encounter breaking against a lot of weaker monsters.

Call to arms: Your instinct kicks in as you call you allies to prepare for battle. This warcry may be used at the start of combat before initiative is rolled so long as you are not surprised. All allies within 15 feet gain advantage on their initiative rolls. I'm not sure how this works because you say that the warcries require you to be raging. It would be good to investigate how it actually works.

Cheer: You cheer on you allies. All allies within 15 feet gain advantage on their next saving throw made before the end of your next turn. It is very hard to know when your allies will need to make some saves. It would be very useful against monsters that rely on saves to damage you.

Howl (7th Level Required): This howl dazes those caught in its blast. All creatures within a 15 foot cone must make a Constitution save or be slowed, as per the slow spell, for their next turn. A little weak compared to 2d8 + Con from Bellow. I'm sure it has its uses though.

Invigorating Roar (7th Level Required) This warcry fills your allies with vigor, granting them temporary hit points. You spend one Hit Die and all allies within 15 feet gain temporary hit points equal to the roll. These hit points last for 3 rounds. You may spend an additional Hit Die at 7th, 10th, and 14th level. This one seems a little weak. You have to sacrifice personal healing for potentially more healing on others. I might lengthen the duration to the encounter just to make this worth while.

Piercing Scream (10th Level Required): This warcry is able to shatter the very essence of magic. Choose one creature, object, or magical effect within 30 feet. Any spell of 3rd level or lower on the target ends. For each spell of 4th level or higher on the target, make a constitution check. The DC equals 10 + the spell's level. On a successful check, the spell ends. Endless dispel magic at 10th level is great. The problem is that it only works while raging. You might be able to remove a buff or two but this is weak compared to some other effects.

Scream (7th Level Required): This warcry fills your opponents with dread. All enemies within a 15 foot cone must make a Wisdom saving throw or drop what they are wielding and become frightened until the end of your next turn. If the enemy succeeds on its saving throw, you can't use this warcry on that creature for 24 hours. This is pretty powerful. It neutralizes the creatures that fail their saves. Also, like the other 7th level cones, it is encounter breaking against hordes.

Shout: You shout at your enemies knocking them back. All creatures in a 15 ft. cone must make a Strength check or be knocked back 5 feet. This distance increases to 10 feet at 9th level, and again to 15 feet at 17th level. Any creature pushed back at least 10 feet must also make a Dexterity check or fall prone. Considering that this is useless until 9th level is pretty bad. 5ft is barely anything and will probably not even hit them into hazards. Also, you might want to grant less saves for the targets.

Shriek: This ear piercing shriek dazes the enemy. All enemies within a 15 foot cone must make a Constitution check or have disadvantage on their next ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. Pretty powerful later on considering a poor save can result in death. Especially if the targets are getting hit by this every turn.

Wail (14h Level Required): You release a terrible wail, paralyzing those in front of you. All creatures within a 15 foot cone must make a Wisdom save or be paralyzed until the end of your next turn. If the enemy succeeds on its saving throw, you can't use this warcry on that creature for 24 hours. A little weak for the 14th level requirement. A single legendary save or lucky roll completely negates this ability.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-08-02, 01:48 PM
Looking good! I think the warcries need cooler names, but that's a minor complaint. Haven't looked closely enough to think about balance.

When you say "gain the benefits of a Haste spell", I assume you mean "...without the drawback", but other people might not interpret it that way. If it was me, I'd cut the reference to Haste and actually write the effect (copied from the spell entry). That way, no one can start an argument about using Counterspell on it etc.

Silvanshei
2015-08-02, 04:17 PM
This was supposed to be based off Constitution. I will make the change in OP.

As far as the limited uses, I want to limit these, but can't think of a way. Maybe a number of warcries per short rest based on Constitution mod? This would max at 5 per short rest. I tried to base a lot of the debuff warcries off a spell to get an appropriate level. Biggest difference being the cone affect of warcries compared to single target spells.

Piercing Scream: I was envisioning this as usable against casters who buffed themselves up and waded into combat or you scream at your allies to remove magical debuffs.

Shriek: This originally actually dazed opponents, but that is no longer a condition, so I went with something comparable. Any suggestions on how to change it?

Scream/Wail: The 24 hour thing was to try to limit using this over and over to keep the BBEG paralyzed as your group just swung away, but I think if I limit warcry uses I will remove that part.