PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Cleric Earth Domain

Chells
2015-08-03, 04:47 PM
I know that domains do not give 6th level spells at 11th level but they were too good a fit not to tack on. I will be allowing them for my campaign but if this were an attempt to make a standardized domain I'd have dropped them.
If you have any suggestions please let me know. I am starting my first 5E campaign in two weeks and one of the players want to run an earth cleric.

5E Cleric: Earth Domain

Earth Domain Spells
Cleric Level ― Spells

1st ― absorb elements, earth tremor
3rd ― earthbind, maximilian’s earthen grasp
5th ― erupting earth, wall of sand
7th ― stone shape, stoneskin
9th ― conjure elemental (earth), wall of stone
11th ― bones of the earth, investiture of stone

Bonus Cantrip: When you choose this domain at 1st level, you gain the mold earth cantrip if you don’t already know it.

Earth’s Favor: At 1st level, you can ask the the land to bestow its favor on you over your rival. This feature works if you and the target of the effect are in contact with the ground. It does not work if either of you are standing in water or on a wooden floor or on a stone floor two or more stories up. If you are in contact with the ground and you are attacked by a creature within 30 feet of you that you can see or sense who is also touching the ground, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll, causing ground to shift underneath your attacker.
You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.
Additionally, if you are touching the ground and are surprised by an opponent also touching the ground within 30 feet of you at the beginning of combat, you can act normally on your first turn as long as you were not incapacitated.

Channel Divinity: Earth Warding – Starting at 2nd level, you can command the earth to aid you for 1 minute using your Channel Divinity. This boon can take one of two forms. Only one of these boons can be active at any given time.

Stone Spines: You can cause the ground in a 20-foot radius centered on yourself to sprout jagged spurs of stone. A creature moving along the spiky ground within the area takes 1d4 piercing damage for every three cleric levels you possess (minimum 1d4) for every 5 feet it travels. If you move the effect onto a creature, it is unaffected as long it is remains unmoving.
Quagmire: This effect can turn soil, sand or other such malleable ground in a 20-foot radius centered on yourself into a grasping morass. Creatures in the area must succeed on a Strength saving throw against your spellcasting DC or be restrained until the effect ends. A creature restrained by the muck can free itself if it uses its action to make a successful Strength check.
With both of the boons above, the 20-foot radius effect is difficult terrain and moves with you. You can choose to allow allies to move through either version of this field unhindered and unharmed.

Earth Sense: At 6th level, you gain tremorsense 60ft.

Potent Spellcasting: Starting at 8th level, you add your Wisdom modifier to the damage you deal with any cleric cantrip.

Earth Glide: At 17th level, you can burrow through non magical, unworked earth and stone at a speed equal to your current walking speed. While doing so, you do not disturb the material you are moving through.

Belac93
2015-08-03, 05:02 PM
The level 17 ability is too powerful. Its exactly the same as the war domains ability, but gives burrowing. What if you make it so that it can be overcome by magical weapons?

Xallace
2015-08-03, 05:15 PM
Does the 17th level ability allow you to breathe or see while underground?

Chells
2015-08-03, 05:15 PM
The level 17 ability is too powerful. Its exactly the same as the war domains ability, but gives burrowing. What if you make it so that it can be overcome by magical weapons?

I thought I had looked at every one of the domains but I missed I missed War's 17th level ability (Which is pretty terrible BTW ... resist nonmagical B/P/S??? I can't imaging many foes at 17th level will be wielding non-magical weapons).

Took off "gain resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage" and just made it earth glide.

Chells
2015-08-03, 05:21 PM
Does the 17th level ability allow you to breathe or see while underground?

Hadn't thought about breathing. First thought is no. You can hold your breath for most uses. Also by that level you should be able to find a means of extending that held breath if you needed it.

On the other hand this is the Earth Gods welcoming you into their embrace so I could be convinced otherwise.

Tremorsense covers sight.

Amnoriath
2015-08-03, 11:47 PM
While your 1st level abilities are powerful the Channel Divinities are way too good. Remember a Cleric gets 3 of these and you are giving Stoneskin without concentration, a restrained effect that requires them to blow their action to try again in which they could fail again, and finally a Spike Growth fireball.

PoeticDwarf
2015-08-04, 04:54 AM
I tought the domain spells stopped at level 9, giving 6 level domain spells is very strange...

Chells
2015-08-04, 06:34 AM
While your 1st level abilities are powerful the Channel Divinities are way too good. Remember a Cleric gets 3 of these and you are giving Stoneskin without concentration, a restrained effect that requires them to blow their action to try again in which they could fail again, and finally a Spike Growth fireball.

I was thinking that the stoneskin was too much. It fit the the theme but I don't have anywhere to put it. Dropped it to just the Entangle and Spike Growth.

Maybe I'm missing it but I'm not seeing the Spike Growth equal to a Fireball. It's situational damage not automatic damage. It doesn't work in buildings, against fliers or if the target simply does not move. I figure most enemies, even animal, would have the sense to jump over at least 5ft of the obviously spiky ground. Still it is possible to out damage a fireball if you had a very bull-headed foe. Let's try dropping it to 1d4 for every 3 cleric levels.

I tought the domain spells stopped at level 9, giving 6 level domain spells is very strange...

I know. See first couple sentences of the post.

Amnoriath
2015-08-04, 06:29 PM
Maybe I'm missing it but I'm not seeing the Spike Growth equal to a Fireball. It's situational damage not automatic damage. It doesn't work in buildings, against fliers or if the target simply does not move. I figure most enemies, even animal, would have the sense to jump over at least 5ft of the obviously spiky ground. Still it is possible to out damage a fireball if you had a very bull-headed foe. Let's try dropping it to 1d4 for every 3 cleric levels.

It is just about as automatic as you can get as there is no attack or save. A base Fireball only deals 6d6 damage which can be halved by a successful save this though deals 10d4 for simply moving on the ground 5 feet. Well, obviously you cast it under creatures since you can ignore allies and in may cases can nuke them right there after all you still have spells that can anchor enemies.