PDA

View Full Version : Original System D20 - Weapon Proficiency, Defenses, and Dodge as Skills?

Stellar_Magic
2015-08-06, 03:45 PM
I've been working on a massive project making something of a universal D20 derived system, and I've found myself debating this issue specifically.

Should weapons proficiency and defenses like Reflex saves be represented by a skill instead of the typical feat based system that 3.5 uses? I noticed that DnD 5E actually leans this way with it's unified proficiency system (proficiency bonus is a neat idea) and had originally considered turning weapon proficiency feats from negating a penalty into a bonus for attacks with that weapon.

I feel like I'm rambling and being unclear. Basically I'm saying what would you think of instead of the classic 3.5 rules for say attacks and saves you had skills like: Archery, Dodge, Endurance, Fencing, Gunnery, Martial Arts, Polearms, Swordsmanship, and so forth?

Zireael
2015-08-07, 01:24 AM
That is an idea I've seen on these very forums at least once, and I'm sure at least twice outside of the forums.

My answer is the same: I'd LOVE this, but it would require giving classes more skill points. And/or implementing something like PF's background skills (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/background-skills).

JBPuffin
2015-08-09, 09:03 AM
You can do this, but these skills need to be VERY DELICATELY BALANCED. Most systems that try to do this are borked from the get-go, admittedly, but a Rogue-type who invests all their skill points into defenses, daggers and guns becomes a very scary Rogue-type indeed. I wouldn't advise it unless you are 100% positive you know the best way to balance it.

Stellar_Magic
2015-08-09, 07:27 PM
Hmm...

My current skill system is based around the same idea as Star Wars: Saga Edition and DnD 4E, in that there are trained and untrained skills. Being trained in a skill nets a +5 bonus and an additional +5 bonus for Skill Focus.

In addition all characters gain a bonus equal to their level to all rolls. There are no classes, as character customization is done through feats (which generally provide a flat bonus) and talents (which provide bonuses that improve as a character levels).

The current skill list is:

Acrobatics (Dex)
Appraise (Int)
Athletics (Str)
Craft (various) (Int)
Diplomacy (Cha)
Deception (Cha)
Drive (Dex)
Electronics (Int)
Endurance (Con)
Gather Information (Cha)
Handle Animal (Cha)