PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Oath of Discovery

Gnomes2169
2015-08-07, 04:13 AM
The Oath of Discovery

Tenets The oath of discovery calls out to the more adventurous and scholarly paladins. While still skilled swordsmen, the paladins that take this oath prefer to think and plan before resorting to combat. Their oaths emphasize the importance of knowledge, exploration and research, as well as being careful about who they share their discoveries with.

Awareness One should always be aware of their surroundings, current events and potential mysteries to be solved.
Exploration Discovery and advancement can only occur through exploration; whether it be exploration of one's limits, the world itself or experimentation of natural laws! One should always be ready to explore and test.
Responsibility The things that an explorer learns and discovers should be shared. However, they should then take responsibility for anything and everything that they decide to reveal, no matter how severe or terrible the consequences might end up being. Prudence on who to share revelations with is something that must be learned and exercised.
Self discovery Denying aspects of one's self while preaching discovery and knowledge is the greatest form of delusion and hypocrisy. One should know themselves better than they know the world, and should always be searching for new aspects to discover.

Paladin levelSpells
3rdDetect magic, longstrider
5thDetect thoughts, misty step
9thClairvoyance, dispel magic
13thFreedom of movement, locate creature
17thCommune, scrying

Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.
Aided exploration You can use your Channel Divinity as an action to grant yourself and allies a small jolt of inspiration when they need it. You and up to your charisma bonus of friendly creatures within 30 feet of you gain a small mark that looks like a tiny star. At any time in the next minute, a creature with this mark may expend it to gain advantage on one ability check.
Explorer's Jaunt You can use your Channel Divinity as a bonus action to allow yourself to turn into mist. For one minute, you can move up to your walking speed as a mist whenever you move on your turn. Moving in this manner allows you to move vertically and through cracks as thin as a key hole. You take physical form on reaching your destination, and if you make an attack or cast a spell in the middle of this movement, you momentarily re-materialize to perform any necessary physical actions before fading back into mist.

Aura of Inspiration
Beginning at 7th level, your explorers spirit and oath are projected from you. You and friendly creatures within 10 feet of you add your Charisma bonus to Intelligence checks.
At 18th level the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

Discovered secrets
At 15th level you gain proficiency your in choice of three of the following skills; Arcane, History, Insight, Investigation, Nature, Perception or Religion. You add your Proficiency bonus to the chosen skills twice instead of once. You may also read and understand all languages.

Revelation
At 20th level you can temporarily unlock the mysteries of the universe. Three small stars come down to float around your body, and you take on the appearance of an astral being for a time, your eyes glowing either a brilliant white or dazzling blue.
Using your action, you undergo a transformation for 1 minute and gain the following benefits:
You have advantage on all attack rolls and enemies have disadvantage on saving throws against your spells.
You gain Truesight out to 60 feet from yourself.
You gain three floating stars; a white, green and blue. Each of these stars may be used to cast a spell of a certain level in place of a spell slot. The white star can be used as a level 1 slot, the green as a level 3 slot, and the blue as a level 5 slot. If all three stars are expended before Revelation has been active for a minute, then Revelation immediately ends.
Once you have used this feature, you can't use it again until you complete a long rest.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-08-07, 04:41 AM
The Oath of Discovery

Tennants The oath of discovery calls out to the more adventurous and scholarly paladins. While still skilled swordsmen, the paladins that take this oath prefer to think and plan before resorting to combat. Their oaths emphasize the importance of knowledge, exploration and research, as well as being careful about who they share their discoveries with.

Awareness One should always be aware of their surroundings, current events and potential mysteries to be solved.
Exploration Discovery and advancement can only occur through exploration; whether it be exploration of one's limits, the world itself or experimentation of natural laws! One should always be ready to explore and test.
Responsibility The things that an explorer learns and discovers should be shared. However, they should then take responsibility for anything any everything that they decide to reveal, no matter how severe or terrible the conciquences might end up being. Prudence on who to share revelations with is something that must be learned and exercised.
Self discovery Denying aspects of one's self while preaching discovery and knowledge is the greatest form of delusion and hypocracy. One should know themselves better than they know the world, and should always be searching for new aspects to discover.

Paladin levelSpells
3rd]Detect magic, longstrider
5thDetect thoughts, misty step
9thClairvoyance, dispell magic
13thFreedom of movement, locate creature
17thCommune, hallow

Spell list looks good. You've misspelled 'tenets', 'consequences', 'hypocrisy' and 'dispel', if you care about that sort of thing.

Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level you, gain the following two Channel Divinity options.
Aided exploration You can use your Channel Divinity as an action to grant yourself an allies a small jolt of inspiration when they need it. You and up to your charisma bonus of friendly creatures within 30 feet of you gain a small mark that looks like a tiny star. At any time in the next minute, a creature with this mark may expend it to gain addvantage on one ability check.
Explorer's Jaunt You can use your Channel Divinity as a bonus action to allow yourself to turn into a mist that grants you to access to areas you could not reach before. For one minute, you can up to move your walking speed as a mist whenever you move on your turn. Moving in this manner allows you to move vertically and through cracks as thin as a key hole. You take physical form on reaching your destination, and if you dash then at least half of the distance traveled must be made using one of your other movement types (flying, walking, swimming, etc), and your body becomes physical doring that movement. Oppurtinity attacks made against your mist form are made at disadvantage.

I like the first one. Once/day bonus action Gaseous Form from level 3 feels overpowered, but maybe it's ok. See what others think.

'Advantage', 'during', 'opportunity'.

Aura of Inspiration
Beginning at 7th level, your explorers spirit and oath are projected from you. You and friendly creatures within 10 feet of you add your Charisma bonus to Intelligence checks.
At 18th level the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

Nice.

Discovered secrets
At 15th level you gain proficiency your choice of three of the following skills; Arcane, History, Investigation, Nature or Religion. You add your proficiency bonus to the chosen skills twice instead of once.

Like the Lore Bard/Knowledge Cleric. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Revelation
At 20th level you can temporarily unlock the mysteries of the universe. Three small stars come down to float around your body, and you take on the appearance of an alstal being for a time, your eyes glowing either a brilliant white or dazzling blue.
Using your action, you undergo a transformation for 1 minute and gain the following benefits:
You may double your movement speed when you move as a mist with your explorer's jaunt channel divinity.
You gain truesight out to 60 feet from yourself.
You gain three floating stars, a white, green and blue. Each of these stars may be used to cast a spell of a certain level in place of a spell slot. The white star can be used as a level 1 slot, the green as a level 3 slot, and the blue as a level 5 slot. If all three stars are expened before Revelation has been active for a minute, then revelation immediately ends.
Once you have used this feature, you can't use it again until you complete a long rest.

This feels a little... lacklustre. Truesight is fine, double movement when using Explorer's Jaunt is a bit nothing-y, and free spell slots... I don't know. It fits the theme, but why 1/3/5? Kind of treading on the Sorcerer's toes a bit as well.

To be honest, this feature needs to be a damage-dealing combat ability. Something showy and explosive, not fiddly and confusing.

'Astral', 'expended'.

Amnoriath
2015-08-07, 09:14 AM
1. The Tenets themselves are fantastic that strike a great balance between clarity and subjectivity.
2. The spells are decent though it is a little odd that you have Hallow instead of ones like Teleportation Circle, Scrying, or even Legend Lore.
3. The Channel Divinity power fit very well but the second should maybe be simplified and clarified just a little bit. The Dash action qualification is odd and it doesn't describe what would happen when they would make an attack or use a spell.
4. The aura is simple enough and useful.
5. Level 15 is a little redundant. At this point you are still relying on your Channel Divinity powers(aside from spells) to offer a battle strategy and thematically you haven't really discovered anything yet unless the DM gives it in a campaign. Either change this or the aura.
6. The capstone have features of its own, not ones that boost Channel Divinity powers. It is a once per day nova buff it should do more on its own.

Gnomes2169
2015-08-07, 02:49 PM
Spell list looks good. You've misspelled 'tenets', 'consequences', 'hypocrisy' and 'dispel', if you care about that sort of thing.

Yaaaaay, typos. >.< Fixed

I like the first one. Once/day bonus action Gaseous Form from level 3 feels overpowered, but maybe it's ok. See what others think.

Only reason it's bonus action is because misty step (the spell it functions more like) is a bonus action. Limiting it to a character's walking speed keeps things like Aarakocra from abusing it with a good flight speed, and restricting it from being used with the dash action keeps it from being turned into an early fly equivalent. I also sort of like the visual of the character turning into mist just as an enemy's blow would hit them (so for 5 feet), turning into mist to hop between flying or floating platforms that they end up running across, and then misting up right into a caster or BBEG's face. You know... With the help of haste. Or two turns going by. Or something.

'Advantage', 'during', 'opportunity'.

Typossssssssssss...

Like the Lore Bard/Knowledge Cleric. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

List slightly expanded just in case someone takes the highly-thematic Sage background and either Religion or History from the paladin list.

This feels a little... lacklustre. Truesight is fine, double movement when using Explorer's Jaunt is a bit nothing-y, and free spell slots... I don't know. It fits the theme, but why 1/3/5? Kind of treading on the Sorcerer's toes a bit as well.

To be honest, this feature needs to be a damage-dealing combat ability. Something showy and explosive, not fiddly and confusing.

'Astral', 'expended'.

Changing the boost to Explorer's Jaunt (which was something that my sleep-addled mind though would be a cool thing brooooo), to something like advantage on attacks and disadvantage for enemies on saves would probably fit flashy and explosive a bit better.

Slots are levels 1/3/5 because 3/4/5, or heaven forbid 5/5/5, would simply be too much. Extra slots have to be handled carefully, and while I'm fine with giving out an extra Destructive Wave, Banishing Smite or upcast anything else, I'm leery about tossing out extra high (for a paladin) level slots. I'd say that it's closer to the Wizard's arcane recovery, more because I haven't heard of anyone actually using their sorc points to make spell slots than anything else.

Astral doesn't need to be capitalized for the same reason "heavenly," "hellish," "abberant," or "earthen." It's being used to describe appearance, not origin. And expended was fine when I checked it?

1. The Tenets themselves are fantastic that strike a great balance between clarity and subjectivity.
Thank yah!

2. The spells are decent though it is a little odd that you have Hallow instead of ones like Teleportation Circle, Scrying, or even Legend Lore.
Knew I was forgetting something at 4 in the morning. >_< Scrying it is!

3. The Channel Divinity power fit very well but the second should maybe be simplified and clarified just a little bit. The Dash action qualification is odd and it doesn't describe what would happen when they would make an attack or use a spell.
See above why the dash action qualification is there, and making an attack now requires you to be physical (casting a spell does not... Unless it has somatic or material components, of course).

4. The aura is simple enough and useful.
5. Level 15 is a little redundant. At this point you are still relying on your Channel Divinity powers(aside from spells) to offer a battle strategy and thematically you haven't really discovered anything yet unless the DM gives it in a campaign. Either change this or the aura.
Oath of Discovery is much more focused on the "exploration" pillar than it is combat (which the base paladin kit is already exemplary at). It's why I gave them two "skill" features to work with, instead of directly applicable combat powers. The capstone does need to be more offensive, however...

6. The capstone have features of its own, not ones that boost Channel Divinity powers. It is a once per day nova buff it should do more on its own.
Agreed, that was another 4 in the morning decision. I'm strongly considering changing that particular bit of the capstone to advantage on attacks and disadvantage on enemy saves vs. the paladin's spells.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-08-07, 03:02 PM
Only reason it's bonus action is because gaseous form is a bonus action.

Is that from some errata? My PHB says 1 action... I guess the fact that it's once/day makes it ok though.

Slots are levels 1/3/5 because 3/4/5, or heaven forbid 5/5/5, would simply be too much. Extra slots have to be handled carefully, and while I'm fine with giving out an extra Destructive Wave, Banishing Smite or upcast anything else, I'm leery about tossing out extra high (for a paladin) level slots...

Astral doesn't need to be capitalized for the same reason "heavenly," "hellish," "abberant," or "earthen." It's being used to describe appearance, not origin. And expended was fine when I checked it?

...I was actually going to argue for lowering the spell slots to 1/2/3...

And I only capitalized 'astral' because it was at the start of my sentence. You spelled it "expened" before. Granted, that could be a real word, but not one you'd want to use very often.

Gnomes2169
2015-08-07, 03:19 PM
Is that from some errata? My PHB says 1 action... I guess the fact that it's once/day makes it ok though.

Meant to say Misty Step there... >.<

...I was actually going to argue for lowering the spell slots to 1/2/3...

Really? Huh. Any particular reason to nerf it like that? Remember, the slots can only be used to cast spells, so smiting with them isn't an option unless it's a spell smite, and they will only last for a minute regardless. Can't use them for much beyond smiting or healing, which you won't really be using level 1/2 slots on by level 20 unless you get desperate...

Amnoriath
2015-08-07, 10:25 PM
See above why the dash action qualification is there, and making an attack now requires you to be physical (casting a spell does not... Unless it has somatic or material components, of course).

Oath of Discovery is much more focused on the "exploration" pillar than it is combat (which the base paladin kit is already exemplary at). It's why I gave them two "skill" features to work with, instead of directly applicable combat powers. The capstone does need to be more offensive, however...

Agreed, that was another 4 in the morning decision. I'm strongly considering changing that particular bit of the capstone to advantage on attacks and disadvantage on enemy saves vs. the paladin's spells.

1. Eww, so you can't physically attack while this is active? Why don't you just eliminate the disadvantage on opportunity attacks and that you momentarily rematerialize to resolve an attack?
2. The problem is though is the bulk of your career is spent purely on base knowledge. It doesn't really gain any access to special knowledge such as languages, spells, or other various things that could be related in hooks. I am not saying it needs battle bonuses, maybe just a little versatility that says I actually discovered something, not just I know about it.
3. The capstone is now much better while still competitive.

Gnomes2169
2015-08-08, 04:05 PM
1. Eww, so you can't physically attack while this is active? Why don't you just eliminate the disadvantage on opportunity attacks and that you momentarily rematerialize to resolve an attack?
Yeah, I think I'm going to do that... >.>

2. The problem is though is the bulk of your career is spent purely on base knowledge. It doesn't really gain any access to special knowledge such as languages, spells, or other various things that could be related in hooks. I am not saying it needs battle bonuses, maybe just a little versatility that says I actually discovered something, not just I know about it.
That is a good point, and solved rather easily by just giving them the ability to read and understand all languages at level 15 on top of the skills. Those ancient ruins and spirits haunting them need someone who can figure them out, after all. :smalltongue:

3. The capstone is now much better while still competitive.
Glad you believe so!