PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 LA+1 human

Jak
2015-08-10, 05:08 PM
So, there are some in my d&d group who want to use races with a level adjustment. Our DM said that it might be easier if everyone played a LA+1 race so we wouldn't have to worry about the LA buy off or anything like that. Then, one of us suggested a homebrew LA +1 human race that one could opt to play for Dungeons and Fashions. We've been trying to think of more features for the race. And so here we are.

So far, the ideas that have been brought to the table are:
+2 to ability score of choice
Cutting Corners- this allows the player to ignore one prerequisite of a single feat or prestige class. (Although this can't be used to ignore BAB requirements and certain other requirements.)

What I've been trying to use as a comparison for balance is the Goliath from Races of Stone. For those of you unfamiliar, the Goliath nets you +4 to your ability scores, an ability that allows you to act as large for the benefits with none of the negatives, and several skill bonuses and mad jumping skills.

What I'm trying to do is make the LA+1 Human worth taking without making it too op.

Any ideas?

SkipSandwich
2015-08-10, 10:13 PM
How about this?

Human Paragon
as the standard human, plus the following

Hobbyist: Human creativity and adaptability make them hard to pin down to any single role or vocation. At 1st Level, the Human Paragon chooses a single Base Class, this must be a different class then their 1st level class, they gain the Class Features of a 1st level character of that class, including spellcasting/manifesting, but not any of that classes BAB, Skill Points, Class Skills, Hit Die or Saving Throw Bonuses. If the human paragon later takes actual levels in the chosen class, the benefits do not stack.

For example, Carl the Clever is a 1st level Fighter (Hobbyist Wizard), in addition to the Hit Die, Skill Points, Proficiencies, Saving Throws, BAB and 1 Fighter Bonus Feat he gains from Fighter1, he also gains the ability to cast arcane spells as a 1st level Wizard with 3 0th level and 1 1st level spell slot. If Carl later multiclasses and takes an actual level of wizard, he does not gain any additional spell slots or increased caster level from Wizard 1 (though he would gain a 1d4 Hit die, 2+int skill points and +2 to his Will Save).

Marcus the Mad Mage is a 1st level Sorcerer (Hobbyist Barbarian), so in addition to his 1st level sorcerer abilities, he gains from Barbarian Hobbyist Fast Movement, Rage 1/day and Illiteracy (which has no effect due to having a non-barbarian class level).

LA +1

basically the human gains a Lesser Gestalt level for their 1st level.

Noteworthy options from the SRD include;

Barbiarian: Rage 1/day and Fast Movement
Bard: Inspire Courage +1, Fascinat, Bardic Music 1/day, Bard1 Casting and Spell-Trigger item access
Cleric: Cleric1 Turn/Rebuke Undead, Cleric1 Casting and Spell-Trigger item access (Wands of Cure Light Wounds)
Fighter: 1 Bonus Fighter Feat
Monk: 1 Monk Bonus Feat, Monk1 Unarmed Strike, Wis to AC while unarmored
Rogue: 1d6 Sneak Attack and Trapfinding
Wizard: 1st level Wizard Casting
Psion: 1st level Psion Manifesting, 1 Bonus Feat, and the ability to qualify for further Psionic Feats later

Nifft
2015-08-11, 12:32 AM
What I'm trying to do is make the LA+1 Human worth taking without making it too op.

Any ideas?

More Human Than Human Human

Able Learner: you gain the Able Learner feat as a free bonus feat.

Bonus Feat (as usual)

Bonus Skill (as usual)

+2 to any one ability score.

Action Surge (Ex): Once per day, you can take an extra standard action on your turn.
At 8th level, you can use this ability 2/day (but only once per round).
At 16th level, you can use this ability 3/day (but only once per round).

Solaris
2015-08-11, 09:59 AM
I've added these abilities to humans in a superheroes game to let the unpowered characters keep up with the superhumans.

o Grit: Human characters use d8's for their action point dice, not d6's, and they gain +2 action points per level. They also have a +2 racial bonus on saves against fear, and gain triple vitality points at 1st level.
o Determination: A human character can re-roll any failed d20 roll, whether it be a saving throw, ability check, attack roll, skill check, or other d20 roll, once per day.
o Luck: Humans have a +1 luck bonus to Defense and a +1 luck bonus on all saving throws.

The Mentalist
2015-08-11, 10:22 AM
And you have added another project to my list, +1 LA versions of all the standard races. It's not on the immediate list so it may not help you but I thank you for giving me the idea.