PDA

View Full Version : Identify it. [Wondrous Item]

Angafirith
2007-05-06, 06:31 PM
I decided to have a little fun the last time I passed out treasure in my campaign. I gave them a bunch of good items and dangerous items. A cursed Siangham that turned the monk into a Dwarf, a couple flasks of an elixir out of MIC, a couple flasks of ingestion poison (!!), a few healing potions, and the like.

Here's the problem: no one in my campaign has any way to identify an item. I was thinking of introducing the following wondrous item to my campaign to try to make things less annoying. The idea is that you can only figure out the exact purpose of one item per day, but it can also be used to tell you whether that flask of liquid is a potion or a powerful ingestion poison.

Honestly, I have no idea if it's anything even close to balanced. I was hoping that I could get some input on it.

Identifying Glass
Price: 1,000 gp
Body Slot: -- (held)
Caster Level: 3rd
This magnifying glass is made of gold and has five rubies along the edge of the handle.

On a successful DC 20 Appraise check, the glass is revealed to be made of fool's gold with five pieces of carefully cut red glass along the handle.

These glasses are of great importance to those who deal in magic items.
An identifying glass has 5 charges per day, which are renewed each day at down. Spending 1 or more charges as a standard action allows you to get an idea of the purpose of an item. Any attempt to use an identifying glass on an artifact fails and wastes the charge.

1 charge: You find out the classification of an item within 5 feet of your position. For example, using 1 charge to examine a mundane breastplate will tell you that it is Mundane Armor, where looking at a +1 Breastplate will tell you that it is Magical Armor. It does not give any information on the nature of the enchantment. If the item is cursed, it is identified as magical.
2 charges: You find out the classification of the item as above. It also gives a basic idea of the use of the item, such as "healing potion" or "dangerous mundane poison". If the item is cursed, it also gives an idea as to the nature of the curse.
3 charges: You find out the classification of the item and its exact use, including command words.
4 charges: You find out the classification of an item within 30 feet as if you had used one charge.
5 charges: You find out the classification and basic purpose of an item within 30 feet as if you had used two charges.

Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, identify
Cost to create: 500 gp, 40 XP, 1 day

An aside: I've just switched to the WYSIWYG editor and it's really great: I get to copy and paste the pre-formatted items and creatures directly from my wiki to this post.

DracoDei
2007-05-06, 09:06 PM
Overpowered, pays itself back in only 10 uses (and basically you can get 2 full uses of it per day). It also doesn't take the 8 hours that is critical to the IDENTIFY spell. The instant version of that spell is many levels higher and has an XP cost.
The standard solution to this would be to use Detect Magic to sort stuff at the most basic level (and I don't think there is a spellcasting class that DOESN'T have access to that although many bards and sorcerers might not take it). Then wait until you get back to town and pay the 100+ gp per object to hire someone to ID it... or experiment :nale:

Collin152
2007-05-06, 10:40 PM
I seem to recall a feat in Complete adventurerer that lets you use apraise to duplicate the effects of an identify spell.

Ankhor
2007-05-07, 11:51 AM
There's an item in the Arms and Equipment guide called the testing chalice which changes colour according to the nature of a liquid placed in it.

Fizban
2007-05-07, 12:24 PM
You do realize that there's an item in the MIC that identifies things, don't you? It's not all that expensive, and if no one in the party has an ability to do so, it's probably a good idea to let one find it's way to them.

Telonius
2007-05-07, 12:46 PM
There's also a Skill Trick in Complete Scoundrel that lets you Identify 1/day.

Angafirith
2007-05-07, 01:40 PM
You do realize that there's an item in the MIC that identifies things, don't you? It's not all that expensive, and if no one in the party has an ability to do so, it's probably a good idea to let one find it's way to them.

There's such an item in the MIC? I can never find anything in that book. It really needs an index or something. I'll have to look for it later on tonight.

As for the Arms and Equipment guide: isn't that 3.0? I'm wary to purchase a book that I'll have to figure out how to update, especially since it seems to overlap with the MIC a bit.

As for Complete Adventurer, I feel stupid for not having seen that feat before.

I don't actually own Complete Scoundrel, though I hope to buy it pretty soon. Ever since I read about the skill tricks and lucky reroll feats, actually.

If I made the item I created expire, do you think it would be better? Say, once 25 charges have been used, it shatters?

Collin152
2007-05-07, 06:32 PM
There's also a Skill Trick in Complete Scoundrel that lets you Identify 1/day.

And a feat in complete adventurer that lets you do it every 8 hours. Provided you have a high appraise modifier.