PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Warforged 5e [PEACH]

DracoKnight
2015-08-16, 10:38 AM
In my experience with the Unearthed Arcana Warforged (along with the other Eberron races) it is underpowered when balanced against the already existing 5e races. So here's my most recent homebrew write up for the Warforged of 5e. I tried giving them subraces a while ago, and in playtest they proved to be overpowered, so I decided to go back to the basic UA warforged and just give it a tiny something extra. So, here it is, please enjoy my take on what should be 5th Edition's Warforged (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B66RprYE6_HHTXpiSEZDUEFtNGs/view?usp=sharing).

weaseldust
2015-08-16, 10:58 AM
I'm not keen on the hit dice change because it makes them comparatively less attractive to martial classes and (together with their stat increases) a virtual no-brainer for caster classes.

My suggestion: in place of both Composite Plating and Iron Defence, let them choose one damage type out of piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning to be resistant to. (E.g. if they're mostly metal they might be resistant to piercing damage, but if they're mostly wood it might be bludgeoning.)

Resistance or immunity to poison would also make sense, if you could fit it in. Then again, I was going to object (mildly) to the comment about enjoying drinks with halflings until I noticed they can be subject to the poisoned condition, and therefore can enjoy alcohol. Perhaps they can actually fuel themselves with alcohol?

On that note, I wonder if you could add some resource dependence, so they can't end up buried underground for thousands of years without dying. Maybe it's the alcohol they need, or maybe oil, or an occasional intake of salt water, or tungsten...

DracoKnight
2015-08-16, 02:33 PM
I'm not keen on the hit dice change because it makes them comparatively less attractive to martial classes and (together with their stat increases) a virtual no-brainer for caster classes.

This is useless for Martial classes, but so is Elf Weapon Training. Both features are only useful if you're a caster. The main idea is that there are so many different "builds" for a warforged. Is that the only thing you don't like about Iron Defense?

My suggestion: in place of both Composite Plating and Iron Defence, let them choose one damage type out of piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning to be resistant to. (E.g. if they're mostly metal they might be resistant to piercing damage, but if they're mostly wood it might be bludgeoning.)

Hmmmm...this would bring down their power level significantly. It would bring it to below even the Unearthed Arcana warforged, I'm pretty sure.

Resistance or immunity to poison would also make sense, if you could fit it in. Then again, I was going to object (mildly) to the comment about enjoying drinks with halflings until I noticed they can be subject to the poisoned condition, and therefore can enjoy alcohol. Perhaps they can actually fuel themselves with alcohol?

I actually really like this idea :D

On that note, I wonder if you could add some resource dependence, so they can't end up buried underground for thousands of years without dying. Maybe it's the alcohol they need, or maybe oil, or an occasional intake of salt water, or tungsten...

Well, they're definitely not going to make it thousands of years, seeing as they only live to be 300.

Takewo
2015-08-16, 02:50 PM
Hmmmm...this would bring down their power level significantly. It would bring it to below even the Unearthed Arcana warforged, I'm pretty sure.

I don't think so, you would be reducing by half the damage that you take from quite a few hits. Assuming that 1/3 of the physical attacks are the kind of damage against which you are resistant, that would mean that you'd suffer a 17% less of damage, whereas a +1 AC would just mean a 5% less. Of course, higher AC also protects you against certain spells, but still, I think damage resistance would be better.

DracoKnight
2015-08-16, 03:06 PM
I don't think so, you would be reducing by half the damage that you take from quite a few hits. Assuming that 1/3 of the physical attacks are the kind of damage against which you are resistant, that would mean that you'd suffer a 17% less of damage, whereas a +1 AC would just mean a 5% less. Of course, higher AC also protects you against certain spells, but still, I think damage resistance would be better.

Yes, but isn't 5% against everything better than 17% against one damage type?

JNAProductions
2015-08-16, 03:31 PM
It's 50% versus one damage type. He meant 17% overall, approximately.

GandalfTheWhite
2015-08-16, 09:12 PM

Only if they plan on playing Wizard/Sorcerer. Otherwise this Warforged ability is absolutely useless. The other Caster classes all have d8 hit dice. And how often is someone going to play a caster Warforged? I use basically the same rules for them in my game, and Fighter or Barbarian is still the most common build that there is. I've had someone play a Warforged Druid. That was fun - they played it as if they were a Beast Wars Transformer. The Warforged would make good Wizards/Sorcerers like this, but I like that. They're created - they're built, so I like that they can be good for just about any build. Kinda like the Half Elf, except this replaces all the stuff half-elves get with a d8 hit dice unless they have a higher one.

These features come from the standard UA Warforged. I would leave them in. They don't break the game by any means.

Resistance or immunity to poison would also make sense, if you could fit it in.

However, this would. Maybe resistance wouldn't, but immunity? Definitely.

In my experience with the Unearthed Arcana Warforged (along with the other Eberron races) it is underpowered when balanced against the already existing 5e races. So here's my most recent homebrew write up for the Warforged of 5e. I tried giving them subraces a while ago, and in playtest they proved to be overpowered, so I decided to go back to the basic UA warforged and just give it a tiny something extra. So, here it is, please enjoy my take on what should be 5th Edition's Warforged (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B66RprYE6_HHTUVna2hlUkR4YkE/view?usp=sharing).

It looks fine to me. And I like the fluff that you've written up for them. Especially the part about Necromancy.

DracoKnight
2015-08-16, 09:31 PM
It looks fine to me. And I like the fluff that you've written up for them. Especially the part about Necromancy.

The part about Necromancy actually comes from a conversation I had with two of the other DMs in my group. We were all joking around one day about building an entire party of Warforged with a Life Cleric who was the Healbot, a Battle Master Fighter who was built to be a gladiator, a sarcastic and sassy Thief, and the Necromancer Wizard who's entire philosophy was "You built us, why can't I build one of you?"

weaseldust
2015-08-17, 05:50 AM
Only if they plan on playing Wizard/Sorcerer. Otherwise this Warforged ability is absolutely useless. The other Caster classes all have d8 hit dice. And how often is someone going to play a caster Warforged?

But for the Wizard and Sorcerer, going Warforged nets them almost the equivalent of +4 constitution and still lets them get 16 in their casting stat at first level. It makes more sense for casters than martial classes because casters have fewer choices if they want to improve their constitution (which may actually be more important for them than, say, Fighters, Monks, and Rogues, who get other kinds of defence and don't have concentration checks to worry about) and their casting stat at once.

These features come from the standard UA Warforged. I would leave them in. They don't break the game by any means.

I know, and I don't think they break anything. I do find them a bit dull compared to some of the other races' features and I don't like the way the incentives for casters are skewed towards them. How much you want to keep from the original will depend on whether you're just trying to tweak it or whether you're trying to replace it.

However, this would. Maybe resistance wouldn't, but immunity? Definitely.

It would as it stands; you'd have to add some kind of weakness as counterbalance. Hence the 'fit it in' comment. Though the fluff DracoKnight wrote actually changed my opinion on whether Warforged need to be immune to poison to feel Warforgedy - if I can imagine them drunk, I can imagine them poisoned.

And I like the fluff that you've written up for them. Especially the part about Necromancy.

I concur.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-08-17, 06:44 AM
You may have seen this before on the forums, but it has also undergone major changes since its conception. But, this was my take on the Warforged (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Warforged-Gr7mm_(5e_Race)) as a 5e race. I will say that they are definitely an 8 pt race by my standards across all subtypes. However the unarmored option is VERY powerful and may need a nerf (maybe putting it to a flat +1 AC).

If there is anything that you like from them please let me know. If there are huge mechanical issues with them, please let me know as well.

EDIT: Because it seems as though I forgot any form of real feedback beyond 'look what I can do'. I like what you have written out for them, I feel that they are a bit underpowered for a Warforged. That may just be me obsessing over the little things. Will give it another look when I can get to a computer with drive access.

DracoKnight
2015-08-17, 07:20 PM
Would it be broken to give them weapon training of some form?

I'm thinking: Longswords, Warhammers, Battleaxes, and Longbows.

DracoKnight
2015-08-17, 07:38 PM
Updated the link in the OP.

GandalfTheWhite
2015-08-18, 02:11 AM
Would it be broken to give them weapon training of some form?

I'm thinking: Longswords, Warhammers, Battleaxes, and Longbows.

That's fine. It's another situational thing. Won't be good for martial classes, but it's still fine :P

DracoKnight
2015-08-18, 02:14 AM
That's fine. It's another situational thing. Won't be good for martial classes, but it's still fine :P

Gotcha. I don't know if I should add anything more. :P

I mean, the Mountain Dwarf gets things that aren't good for martials, but they're good for casters :D

GandalfTheWhite
2015-08-18, 02:22 AM
Gotcha. I don't know if I should add anything more. :P

I mean, the Mountain Dwarf gets things that aren't good for martials, but they're good for casters :D

Tis very true.