PDA

View Full Version : A good system for a disgaea game

S@tanicoaldo
2015-08-19, 07:54 PM
Me and my friends started playing the disgaea games. Disgaea 1 2 3 and 4. Soul nomad and makai kingdom.

We fell in love with the series both the mechanics and the story.

Now we kind of want to play a game as overlords with absurd powers and epic scale attacks.

What system we could get best results for this?

Arbane
2015-08-19, 08:26 PM
Me and my friends started playing the disgaea games. Disgaea 1 2 3 and 4. Soul nomad and makai kingdom.

We fell in love with the series both the mechanics and the story.

Now we kind of want to play a game as overlords with absurd powers and epic scale attacks.

What system we could get best results for this?

It depends, which do you want more: the damage results that look like phone numbers, or the goofy comedy? It's hard to get both in one system. (Dying is easy. Comedy is hard.)

I've seen some attempts at doing Disgaea-ish games in D&D 4th edition, which seems to me like a good fit for the tactical battle.
For the comedy, something rules-light like FATE or Risus work well, as the action becomes powered by the characters' personalities.

goto124
2015-08-19, 08:38 PM
Phone number damage sounds like a bad premise for a tabletop game.

Like Shadowrun, 3.5e and Rollmaster* weren't bad enough.

*Mispelling intended.

Waker
2015-08-19, 09:03 PM
I haven't read the mechanics in a few years, but couldn't Exalted help mimic the over-the-top absurd attacks? I mean, most of the characters in the game are already angels and demons for the most part anyways. Comedy, maybe Big Eyes, Small Mouth? Dunno, never really read up on that one.

Fri
2015-08-19, 10:31 PM
If what you want absurd scale attack and tactical rpg style combat, just play DnD 4e and multiply each numbers by the thousands. Refluff as needed.

Mechalich
2015-08-20, 12:30 AM
Most of the actual 'game' parts of disgaea, as opposed to the power-leveling dependent post-game, take place with levels going from 0-100 and attacks doing damage up to around 1000 so its not that unrestrained.

You could use Exalted, maybe, if you did something like flatly eliminated all perfect defenses and just allowed people to be brought back from death for cash as in disgaea, though the number of dice being rolled in an unrestrained Exalted game quickly becomes prohibitive and the system has all sorts of problems otherwise.

You could probably mimic the combat using D&D by simply doing something like multiplying HP and Damage by 10, but the tricky part is that characters in Disgaea almost always hit (especially when using special moves). You'd also have to seriously modify save or suck spells and status effects - disgaea does have them, but their presence is greatly reduced and the utility of disabling powers in a land of mutual one-shots is massively less.