PDA

View Full Version : so what kind of character fits with the various multi-classes a mystic might be?

Rfkannen
2015-08-27, 03:29 PM
So a while ago we got the playtest for the psychics for 5e in the form of the mystic, an interesting class that so far only has 5 levels. Now I was thinking, if you want your character to go above level 5 right now, of course you need to multiclass, meaning that no current mystic is 100% mystic. So I was wondering, what kind of characters do you think arise from those multiclasses. For an example, what kind of person do you think would be an immortal/necromancer or an awakened/sun cleric. What other combinations can you think of!

tldr. What kind of characters can you think of for characters that have the full 5 levels of mystic and the rest in another class?

PracticalM
2015-08-27, 05:30 PM
I'm going to be hitting that problem, Level 4 Awakened Mystic right now and looking ahead.

I have been considering Wizard just because the party wizard has a conflict and won't be playing for a while. My Int is 18 so makes more sense, but not sure which school.

I was really considering swashbuckler or arcane trickers because it fits the flavor of my character. But a new player just came in as a rogue and I didn't want to step on his toes. Combining the sense enhancement with stealth seems good to me.

I am really debating cleric because the party doesn't have one and the idea of having the mystic also be a cleric fits my general craziness.

I may end up going monk which keeps my character in the zen space that I currently reside in.

Game mechanic-wise, I probably want more AOE effects as a blaster. I generally have been using mind thrust and concentrating on using my reaction to give disadvantage to anyone attacking me. I was also considering cleric to focus on buffs but that will eat up my concentration. I might go Shadow monk with the extra senses active and run around in darkness. (Just not able to concentration on my own darkness).

Rfkannen
2015-08-27, 05:48 PM
I'm going to be hitting that problem, Level 4 Awakened Mystic right now and looking ahead.

I have been considering Wizard just because the party wizard has a conflict and won't be playing for a while. My Int is 18 so makes more sense, but not sure which school.

I was really considering swashbuckler or arcane trickers because it fits the flavor of my character. But a new player just came in as a rogue and I didn't want to step on his toes. Combining the sense enhancement with stealth seems good to me.

I am really debating cleric because the party doesn't have one and the idea of having the mystic also be a cleric fits my general craziness.

I may end up going monk which keeps my character in the zen space that I currently reside in.

Game mechanic-wise, I probably want more AOE effects as a blaster. I generally have been using mind thrust and concentrating on using my reaction to give disadvantage to anyone attacking me. I was also considering cleric to focus on buffs but that will eat up my concentration. I might go Shadow monk with the extra senses active and run around in darkness. (Just not able to concentration on my own darkness).

hmm sounds like a hard decision. I would just go with what makes most sense in game flavorwise (Yes I know very unhelpful advice, but true) Sounds like shadow monk would work pretty awesome, but do whatever feels right.

What is your character like? I would love to give a suggestion based on that!

PracticalM
2015-08-27, 08:14 PM
Yep it's a hard decision but I'll noodle it around for a bit.

My character is a street urchin with bits of charlatan mixed in. He's a fire genasi who's noble parents kicked him out at age six as unclean. So he's got a sense of tear down the current social structure and build something more fair. But he knows that really society can't do that so he feels everyone should learn mystic powers and become enlightened as a path to creating a fair and just society.

He's over confident and anytime something happens to benefit the party or hurt the enemies he'll claim that his "mental" powers did that. The group is rolling along with it and we've had fun playing off each other. My most favorite quote so far is while we were fighting the Redbrand's in town my character told our gladiator character that "I've read their minds and they believe professional gladiatorial combat is fake".

silverkyo
2015-08-28, 10:59 AM
I had an idea for an assassin/infiltration type character that is Rogue13/Warlock2/Mystic(Awakened Mind)5 and has at least the Sneaky and Actor feats. They can disgusie at will, see in the dark forever, has a crazy high Deception/Persuasion and can gain advantage through Conquering Mind, along with mind controlling guards and the like, and has crazy awareness of everything around them. You can use Occluded Mind/Broken Will to do some really interesting stuff, like if you get caught breaking in, have them believe "You don't know who broke in, go find them" or "You don't recognize me and never will". Or you control him and have him kill another guard or lock himself in a closet, so many ideas.

And of course there is always the tried and true Fighter15/Mystic(Immortal)5 or Fighter10/Mystic(Immortal)5/X5 where you replace X with any class of your choice like rogue or paladin. Mostly because fighters don't really get a whole lot of interesting stuff past level 5, and the immortal gives them such insane amounts of options and damage. You can move fast and never be surprised, then switch into being a mega tank that can make it's AC insanely high or Second Wind as an action or switch into Tons of Damage mode that can make attacks always hit and do up to +5d10 damage. Add a level dip into paladin for smite and your Nova damage will be absurd, along with the 3 attacks for great damage per round. Or dip into rogue for +3d6 on every attack as long as someone is near you for all 3 attacks.

I really like the mystic in case you couldn't tell.

ZenBear
2015-08-28, 11:25 AM
I would go with Awakened Mystic/Diviner Wizard or Immortal Mystic/Fighter of any subclass.

Awakened Diviner is all about knowledge. You see the future, distant events, and even into the minds of those around you. Call yourself a Seer or Oracle and sell your services as a fortune teller during downtime.

Immortal Fighter is a warrior with supernatural talent. You can accomplish things no one else can even dream of. Nobody knows how you do it; maybe you don't even know.