PDA

View Full Version : Astral Conundrum

CockroachTeaParty
2007-05-11, 04:17 PM
The Astral plane is a timeless plane. From my understanding, while you are on the Astral, or planes sharing this trait, you do not age. Keeping that in mind, I have an odd question:

How do races that live on timeless planes age? How do Githyanki children grow to adulthood in a dimension that prevents them from aging? Was this explained somewhere? Perhaps I missed it...

Still, it strikes me as rather odd.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-11, 04:18 PM
I think (but am not certain) that creatures native to Timeless planes ignore the Timeless trait.

nows7
2007-05-11, 04:38 PM
They send the kids to boarding school on the material plane?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-11, 04:58 PM
I think (but am not certain) that creatures native to Timeless planes ignore the Timeless trait.

That would make sense.

You can at least have a No-Prize.

I_Got_This_Name
2007-05-11, 05:18 PM
IIRC, the Githyanki young are raised off-plane.

Umarth
2007-05-11, 09:05 PM
Per the 2nd edition Astral Guide they do one of two things.

1) Send them off plane to be born and raised.
2) Some of the dead gods floating through the astral plane experiance time flow to at least some degree. They may also be raised on those islands.

Tobrecan
2007-05-11, 10:41 PM
Githyanki have hatcheries on the prime material plane were they raise their young, there are also areas in their astral cities that, through powerfull magicks, are subject to normal time so they can farm. As an aside, I recently read the aforementioned timeless planar trait and noticed that it said that when you leave a timeless plane (to a plane without the timeless trait I would assume) that you immediately age whatever amount of time you were "timeless" as it were, and it suprised me. Is that what any of you would normally think would happen?

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-12, 11:48 AM
Nope. But its done for balance reasons.

Although I have used it as an excellent weapon in a couple of games before.