PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sharpshooter Gun Based Class Feedback and Ideas

Mr_Tangent |\
2015-09-07, 11:31 AM
Sharpshooter

The other day I was thinking about Guns in DnD and how little they are used, there were multiple reasons I could think of for this, here are the main ones; they do not fit in most settings, they are not worthwhile to use, and there are no classes that work well using them (except perhaps Rogue).

So I decided to try my hand at homebrewing and created a class that would use pistols as their primary weapon, in the end I created this, the Sharpshooter (name may be subject to change as I think Gunslinger or Marksman may be more appropriate because of how the class plays).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6xFS6C0_5uWW1yV2lNVnVuT00/view?usp=sharing

Below is the link to an example of a character of this class as requested, there is an example of a level 1 char and this same char at level 20 in both archetypes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6xFS6C0_5uZUhBLUNEYXYySnc/view?usp=sharing

I would like some feedback as I believe this class is pretty unbalanced, due to it being my first ever homebrew.

(I apologize for the messy document as I wrote it in Notepad then had to convert it to Google Docs where I tried my best to fix it before converting it to a PDF.)

ImSAMazing
2015-09-07, 11:34 AM
I have no permission to view it. It says it is moved.

Mr_Tangent |\
2015-09-07, 11:36 AM
Thanks for letting me know I'll get it sorted. :smallsmile:

Edit - It should now be sorted.

ImSAMazing
2015-09-07, 11:50 AM
I see you worked in Notepad, and it doesn't matter that much, but I think you should add more fluff, like giving examples of characters(like every class description has).

I like the features, and I'll give detailed feedback on them later, but it really needs better sorting. Great work however!

Mr_Tangent |\
2015-09-07, 11:54 AM
Race wise I think Halfling (Lightfoot) or Elf (Wood Elf) would work well.

I'll add in a full character example soon.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-09-07, 12:01 PM
I agree that this needs major cleanup. If you want this to be used in D&D 5e, you need to present it like a 5e class.

And why are wheelock pistols better than flintlocks? That doesn't match the history, as far as I can tell.

Why not just use the firearm rules from the DMG?

Mr_Tangent |\
2015-09-07, 12:10 PM
There wasn't enough information in the DMG, and anyway I decided that a greater variety of weapons would be beneficial. There are multiple types of bow for the ranger so I thought there should be multiple types of gun for the sharpshooter.
Reload wise I wanted to make a more accurate representation of older guns however the abilities do affect this in higher levels and become pretty similar to the ones in the DMG, though if you want to use the DMG rules for firearms you can.

Also I researched the pistols and despite Wheellocks being invented before Flintlocks, Flintlocks were mainly adopted because they were much less complex and cheaper to manufacture/purchase. Unfortunately they were much much less reliable and I thought that having them be cheaper and less reliable should convert to less damage.