PDA

View Full Version : [Class] Gimme your money!

ghost_warlock
2007-05-13, 10:25 AM
This is based largely on the street fighter prestige class (Complete Adventurer) and the thug (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighterVariantThug) and sneak attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighter) variant fighters set the precedent for making it a standard, 20-level class. Should play well in a wilderness-style game, possibly even a low-magic one. I imagine it'd make a great addition to a party already containing a ranger and/or a scout. :smallsmile:

Brigand
“Sorry, haven’t you ever heard of the Golden Rule? It’s simple – give me all your gold!”

Great treasures are often found being moved along the roads of the world, and almost equally as often these treasures are heavily guarded! Perhaps equally so as any dungeon, temple, or crypt, intercepting goods as they travel from place to place can be dangerous as well as profitable for those cunning and stout enough to seize them. The brigand has an innate understanding of these facts and has trained himself adequately to face them – and become all the richer for doing so!
Hardier and a more practiced combatant than the common rogue, a brigand has adapted himself well to life on the road, or at least beside the road waiting in ambush for the next pompous and heavily laden traveler. Often, these ambushes are best successful when highwaymen work in groups and the brigand seeks to capitalize on this by picking up some competency with opportunistic attacks and not being squeamish about striking a foe when they are unable to defend themselves. Perhaps more than anything else, however, the brigand’s abilities make him well-suited to surviving nights in the wilderness, just off the beaten path, as well as prolonged combat.
Often the transition from highwayman to dungeon-delving adventurer (and back again) is an easy one to make, so adventuring brigands tend to keep their pockets well-filled even between more traditional adventures.

Making A Brigand
As a brigand, you possess a number of useful skills as well as a few strong combat abilities, primarily concerned with defense and resiliency. If your party lacks a rogue, you can make a great substitute even if you lack a bit of that class’ versatility. If the group lacks a strong warrior, you are in an ideal position to fill that void, especially as you gain experience and gain access to higher-level brigand abilities. Finally, although not as well suited to wilderness adventures as a ranger or druid (as brigands tend to stay on the fringes of society), your woods-lore should be sufficient to help get your party to and from some remote ruins or other distant location.
Abilities: Brigands are strong, sturdy, and sly. You profit the most from high Strength and Constitution scores and a high or moderate Intelligence is useful for bolstering your many skills. It is also useful to have a good Dexterity as you are proficient only with light armor and your Evasion ability can’t be used if you train in and wear heavier armor.
Races: Humans and half-orcs are the most numerous brigands of the common races, although may disillusioned half-elves also take up the profession of highwayman. However, members of any race could easily come to the conclusion that this career may be a good way to line their pockets with money.
Alignment: Most brigands have a somewhat flexible moral compass, considering their typical activity of waylaying travelers and relieving them of their possessions. As such, most brigands tend towards neutral or chaotic alignments. However, brigands may be of any alignment and some are more charitable than others, choosing to use their abilities primarily in the dungeon or simply to “rob from the rich and give to the poor.” The true question, perhaps, lies in whether the brigand considers himself to be among the proverbial “poor!”
Starting Gold: 4d4 x 10 gp (100 gp).
Starting Age: As ranger (PHB 109).
Hit Die: d8.

Class Skills
The brigand’s class skills are Bluff, Climb, Craft, Disable Device, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (local), Knowledge (nature), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Ride, Search, Spot, Survival, and Tumble.
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features
As a brigand, you function best in the front lines of combat, seeking to set up and take advantage of flanking opportunities with other combatants in your team. Your abilities also make you a passable scout although you lack the wilderness stealth of a ranger or the trap-avoiding abilities of a rogue.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Brigands are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with light armor, and with shields (but not tower shields).
Sneak Attack: A brigand deals an extra 1d6 points of damage when flanking an opponent or at any time when the target would be denied its Dexterity bonus. This extra damage applies to ranged attacks only if the target is within 30 feet. The extra damage increases to 2d6 at 4th level and by an extra 1d6 every three brigand levels thereafter (7th, 10th, 13th, 16th, and 19th). See the rogue class feature, page 50 of the Player’s Handbook. If a brigand gets a sneak attack bonus from another source (such as rogue levels), the bonuses on damage stack.
Battle Reflexes (Ex): At 2nd level, a brigand develops an innate sense for reacting quickly to danger. She receives a +1 competence bonus on initiative checks and Reflex saving throws.
The brigand’s bonus to initiative checks and Reflex saves from battle reflexes increases to +2 at 11th level and to +3 at 20th.
Trapfinding: Like a rogue, brigands can use the Search skill to locate traps when the task has a Difficulty Class higher than 20.
Endurance: A brigand gains Endurance as a bonus feat at 3rd level.
Evasion (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, a brigand can avoid damage from certain attacks with a successful Reflex save. (See the rogue class feature, page 50 of the Player’s Handbook.) A brigand can use his evasion ability only if he is wearing light or no armor and carrying no more than a light load.
Bonus Feat: At 5th and 15th level, a brigand gets a bonus combat-oriented feat. These bonus feats must be drawn from the feats noted as fighter bonus feats. A brigand must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums. A brigand may select fighter-only feats, such as Weapon Specialization, if he also meets the minimum fighter level required to select such a feat.
Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Starting at 6th level, a brigand cannot be caught flat-footed and reacts to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. See the barbarian class feature, page 26 of the Player’s Handbook.
If a brigand already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he gains improved uncanny dodge instead. See the barbarian class feature, page 26 of the Player’s Handbook.
Damage Reduction (Ex): At 8th level, a brigand gains the ability to shrug off some amount of injury from each blow or attack. Subtract 1 from the damage the brigand takes each time he is dealt damage from a weapon or natural attack. At 11th level, and every three brigand levels thereafter (14th, 17th, and 20th level), this damage reduction rises by 1 point. Damage reduction can reduce damage to 0 but not below 0.
If the brigand has damage reduction as a feature of another class, such as barbarian levels, the damage reduction values stack.
Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 12th level and higher, a brigand can no longer be flanked, since he can react to opponents on opposite sides of him as easily as he can react to a single attacker. This defense denies other characters the ability to use flank attacks to sneak attack him. The exception to this defense is that a rogue (or member of some other class that grants the sneak attack ability) of at least four levels higher than the brigand can flank him (and thus sneak attack him).
If a brigand gains the uncanny dodge ability from another class, the levels from the classes that grants uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character. See the barbarian class feature, page 26 of the Player’s Handbook.
Stand Tough (Ex): At 14th level, a brigand gains the ability to shrug off blows that might otherwise incapacitate him. Once per day, when struck with a weapon or natural attack, a brigand may make a Fortitude saving throw against a DC equal to the damage dealt by the blow. If successful, the brigand takes half the amount of damage that would otherwise have been dealt.
A brigand can use this ability twice per day at 19th level.

Brigand
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Sneak Attack +1d6

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Battle Reflexes +1, Trapfinding

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Evasion, Endurance

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Sneak Attack +2d6

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Bonus Feat

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2|Uncanny Dodge

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+2|Sneak Attack +3d6

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+2|Damage Reduction 1/-

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+3|-

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+3|Sneak Attack +4d6

11th|
+11|
+7|
+3|
+3|Battle Reflexes +2, Damage Reduction 2/-

12th|
+12|
+8|
+4|
+4|Improved Uncanny Dodge

13th|
+13|
+8|
+4|
+4|Sneak Attack +5d6

14th|
+14|
+9|
+4|
+4|Damage Reduction 3/-, Stand Tough 1/day

15th|
+15|
+9|
+5|
+5|Bonus Feat

16th|
+16|
+10|
+5|
+5|Sneak Attack +6d6

17th|
+17|
+10|
+5|
+5|Damage Reduction 4/-

18th|
+18|
+11|
+6|
+6|-

19th|
+19|
+11|
+6|
+6|Sneak Attack +7d6, Stand Tough 2/day

20th|
+20|
+12|
+6|
+6|Battle Reflexes +3, Damage Reduction 5/-
[/table]

Matthew
2007-05-18, 08:09 PM
Looks okay to me. I'm not a big fan of Damage Reduction in otherwise Non Magical Base Classes, but that's just a personal preference.

ghost_warlock
2007-05-21, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

My only retort/rationale is that the only Core class that gains DR before 20th level is the barbarian - hardly a "magical" class. :smallsmile:

TheGrimace
2007-05-21, 06:20 PM
I like what you can do with this class, I wouldn't play it often because I don't want to make a rogueish character that doesn't get trap sense (or I'd pick up a level of rogue.) But the class is very sound.

In My Opinion:
2/3 Rogue + 1/3 Fighter = 1 Brigand

as such, I think they should not get damage reduction. I like the idea, kinda, but at the very least, it shouldn't get more DR than a barbarian. Stand tough bugs me... didn't that show up in some kind of street fighter prestige class?
Again, it seems appropriate, but too powerful, so I would allow it fewer times a day.

Don't get rid of anything, but tone aa few things down.

I'm using this btw

ghost_warlock
2007-05-21, 08:03 PM
Yeah, stand tough is one of the things I borrowed directly from the street fighter. It's essentially a Fortitude-based version of the rogue's defensive roll ability. The idea was to give the class an alternate version of one of the rogue's 10th+ special abilities but, instead of being able to choose a variety of abilities, the brigand would get just one but gain more uses of it.

Although I don't really think it's broken, considering the ability isn't gained until 14th (the same level sorcerers would gain access to spells like plane shift, waves of exhaustion, and limited wish - wizards a level earlier - and druids can wildshape 5/day), maybe it would work better if it functioned more like defensive roll... (The difference is that stand tough reduces damage to 1/2 damage and it becomes nonlethal whereas defensive rolll just reduced damage to 1/2.) [updated]

I also thought about giving the brigand the rogue's crippling strike ability, say at 17th, and reducing stand tough to 2/day (2nd use gained at 20th). What would you think of that?

Oh, and the brigand doesn't get more DR than a barbarian - both classes use the same DR progression. :smallconfused:

ghost_warlock
2007-05-22, 07:57 AM
Okay, I've updated the progression, taking into account the feedback I've received.

Overview of the changes:
* Added Trapfinding @ 2nd level.
* Moved Endurance to 3rd level.
* Removed a bonus feat, moved bonus feats to 5th & 15th.
* Moved Uncanny Dodge to 6th and Improved Uncanny Dodge to 12th.
* Moved the DR progression back a level (8th, 11th, 14th, 17th, and 20th).
* Removed one use/day of (revised) Stand Tough, moved second use gained to 19th level).

So...what do you think, now?

sigurd
2007-05-22, 12:07 PM
With all the other abilities you might want to consider dropping the BAB progression to that of the rogue.

Sigurd

ghost_warlock
2007-05-22, 04:04 PM
That would completely defeat the purpose of the class - an off-tank melee class that uses a couple strong defensive abilities (DR and stand tough) to compensate for light armor. Think of it as a ranger substitute without spellcasting but with some solid innate abilities instead. Compare/contrast the class with the ranger or swashbuckler to get an idea of the power level I'm gunning for.

The class could substitute for a rogue, but it lacks the diversity in class skills and number of skill points to really fulfill the role as the party's skill monkey - it'd be better off using its skills to focus on off-use or wilderness skills or granting Aid Another bonuses to the main skill monkey.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-05-22, 04:20 PM
It's a cool hybrid concept, but unfortunately I see one problem-It's kind of static. You only get 2 spread out Bonus Feats, and most of the other abilities are decided for you.
The primary virtues of the rogue and fighter are that they can really customize themselves with their high number of feats and skill points, and this class seems to miss those.
I'd consider more Bonus feats and less static abilities (like uncanny dodge), also, it could use more class skills.

ghost_warlock
2007-05-22, 04:49 PM
The class is more based on the "sneak attack" fighter variant (linked above) than the standard fighter, which essentially trades all or its bonus feats (and, thus, customizability) for the rogue's sneak attack progression. Beyond skill selection, the rogue's class abilities aren't really customizable until 10th.

But I see where you're going with this. I originally thought about including the Ambush feats (Complete Scoundrel and a couple retroactive ones in Complete Warrior) in the list of feats available for the brigand's bonus feats but I removed them because I didn't want the class to be too linked to non-core material.

As far as skills, I like the idea of adding Knowledge (nature) and maybe Knowledge (dungeoneering) to the skill list. I don't really want to give them UMD because I think it would be stealing too much of the rogue's thunder. They already have many of the other good rogue skills so...what other skills did you have in mind?

What about another bonus feat at, say, 10th, then? 20th, too, or would that be going too far? I want to keep the Uncanny Dodge progression because it lends durability/survivability to the class, which is something I really focused on in the build and class description. Also, because they're going to be really focusing on setting up flanking attacks, they'll be really exposing themselves to be flanked in return and they'll need a good way of avoiding this problem.

Magi_Ring_O
2007-05-22, 08:21 PM
Really like the idea. Really steals the fighter varient's thunder though (not like it had any).

ghost_warlock
2007-05-24, 05:20 PM
Well, the sneak attack fighter can wear heavy armor (though it doesn't if you use the "thug" variant, also) and has a better Hit Die.

But, yeah, it isn't too hard to outshine a fighter, even a variant one.

So, what's the verdict on the bonus feat(s)/added class skills? I think I'll add Knowledge (nature) but should I add anything else or just leave it as-is?

Matthew
2007-05-24, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

My only retort/rationale is that the only Core class that gains DR before 20th level is the barbarian - hardly a "magical" class. :smallsmile:
Agreed, my dislike for Damage reduction in Non Magical Base Classes extends to the Barbarian! :smallwink:

TheGrimace
2007-05-25, 08:32 AM
Don't worry that it might be too static.
so what if people only play a brigand if they feel like gaining those specific abilities, that's why it's there!

ghost_warlock
2007-05-25, 10:51 AM
I'm pretty happy with it as-is. Actually, I was happy with the original version, but I think I like the re-work better.

It's a bit tougher than a rogue but less of a skill monkey; meanwhile it's not as tough as a fighter (AC-wise) has the potential to be but isn't as severely limited to only being useful in combat thanks to a better skill list.

The only thing I'm a bit unhappy about is that it seems a bit weaker than the ranger (the class it's more-or-less designed as an alternate for), but what do you expect from a non-caster? Still, I think sneak attack is much better than favored enemy and this class might be better able to survive in melee. Most of its abilities are defensive in nature, but I think that full BAB and sneak attack helps it overcome the monk's-dilemma of surviving but not being able to do much else.