PDA

View Full Version : Anymug (Magic Item)

Gitman00
2007-05-14, 09:17 AM
I saw this item in an early Goblins strip, and I didn't find it in any book so I decided to stat it out. Let me know what you think! I suspect someone's already done this, but here's my take on it, anyway.

Anymug

These stone, 1-pint flagons are intricately carved and adorned with Moradin’s holy symbol. The church of Moradin occasionally gifts one of these mugs to a disciple (usually a cleric, paladin, or monk) who has distinguished himself by a truly heroic display of alcohol consumption.

Three times per day, the Anymug’s holder can utter a command word which causes the Anymug to fill with any nonmagical liquid the holder wishes. Activating the Anymug is a standard action which does not provoke an attack of opportunity. The user must be familiar with the substance he wishes to summon. The liquid summoned is the same temperature as the air surrounding the Anymug. Because of this, the substance summoned must be a liquid in its natural form. For example, it could not be filled with molten lava or liquid nitrogen. The Anymug is very delicate, and if the user attempts to summon anything that causes damage, such as acid or alchemist's fire, it is destroyed. If the user wishes to fill the mug with any substance worth more than 10 gp, he must make the appropriate Craft skill check. A failed skill check has no effect, but wastes one of the mug's daily uses.

Moderate Conjuration; CL 7; Craft Wondrous Item, Minor Creation; Craft (Alchemy) 10 ranks; Price 7,500 gp

DracoDei
2007-05-14, 03:46 PM
Needs a price. A knew a dwarf who basically had one of these (but might have been beer only). Looks good from all I can see.

adanedhel9
2007-05-15, 07:34 AM
Good idea, but I've got a thought:

Why is it just alchemy that requires a craft check? The owner could summon mugs of that perfectly balanced 500-year old wine and make a fortune rebottling and selling it.

I would say summoning anything that costs more than X gp (maybe 10) requires the equivalent craft check. And, anything summoned is useless unless used immediately, so you can't use it to stockpile stuff.

Khantalas
2007-05-15, 07:59 AM
It is not crap, it is a sophisticated adventuring tool!

Heh.

Gitman00
2007-05-15, 02:08 PM
Good idea, but I've got a thought:

Why is it just alchemy that requires a craft check? The owner could summon mugs of that perfectly balanced 500-year old wine and make a fortune rebottling and selling it.

I would say summoning anything that costs more than X gp (maybe 10) requires the equivalent craft check. And, anything summoned is useless unless used immediately, so you can't use it to stockpile stuff.

I had thought that making alcoholic beverages was an alchemy check. At least, I know Elven Moondrop requires one. If not, this might be a good change to make.

I'll have to look at Ye Olde DMG to come up with a price for the thing.

adanedhel9
2007-05-15, 06:07 PM
I had thought that making alcoholic beverages was an alchemy check. At least, I know Elven Moondrop requires one. If not, this might be a good change to make.

While Elven Moondrop might be an exception (what book is that from?), I would have a hard time believing that alcoholic beverages can only be created using Craft (alchemy), which can only be used by spellcasters.

I'll have to look at Ye Olde DMG to come up with a price for the thing.

I'll give it a shot...

minor creation = 4 x 7 = 28
command word = x 1800 = 50400
3 charges per day = x 0.6 = 30240
Not nearly as useful as minor creation = x 0.25 = 7560

I'd say 7500 gp is reasonable.

my_evil_twin
2007-05-15, 07:12 PM
While Elven Moondrop might be an exception (what book is that from?), I would have a hard time believing that alcoholic beverages can only be created using Craft (alchemy), which can only be used by spellcasters.Craft (X) is on most class skill lists, IIRC. I would imagine that most alcohol requires a craft (brewing) check or somesuch, although someone trained in alchemy could probably manage a tub of moonshine without much trouble. Certain... unsubtle concoctions must have a fairly low craft DC.

Definitely put a cap on the value and shelf-life of the liquid produced. You might allow Potion of Cure Minor Wounds for a little extra utility.

Icewalker
2007-05-15, 07:36 PM
I'd rephrase that "any liquid that deals damage", because it is a little too technical, so for a little more flavor I'd go with "the mug is extremely delicate, so any kind of acid or other substance that could damage an object, such as alchemists fire, cannot be produced without destroying the cup."

adanedhel9
2007-05-15, 09:06 PM
Craft (X) is on most class skill lists, IIRC.

Yes, but the point is (from the craft skill description):

To make an item using Craft (alchemy), you must have alchemical equipment and be a spellcaster.

Could someone with Craft (alchemy) create an ethanol-enhanced beverage? I have no doubt. But would anyone want to drink it? I'd imagine that an alchemist's alcohol would be more like lab-quality alcohol, or the stuff they put in cleaning agents. While still drinkable... there's not much point unless you're just trying to get drunk.

DracoDei
2007-05-19, 08:06 PM
Fermentation is not so solidly under alchemy... distillation (to any degree, minor to extreme) almost certainly would be. But that is beside the point for the item.

cssmythe3
2010-04-06, 01:54 PM
Fermentation is not so solidly under alchemy... distillation (to any degree, minor to extreme) almost certainly would be. But that is beside the point for the item.

Profession: Brewer

Rainbownaga
2010-04-06, 09:04 PM
Would make for a cheap way for characters with high craft dc's to make black lotus extract.

Of course they're not going to want to drink out of it afterwards.

Agi Hammerthief
2010-04-06, 09:22 PM
please give it a will save to resist self destruction by summoning liquids that deal damage.

Roland St. Jude
2010-04-06, 09:43 PM

Sheriff of Moddingham: Thread necromancy.