PDA

View Full Version : Original System Cyberpunk/Transhumanist/Fantasy setting rules.

RFLS
2015-09-17, 03:02 PM
Hey everyone!

I'm writing a game system from the bottom up, and I'm at the point where I feel that input of any sort would be useful. The game is entirely skill based, with each skill being dependent on a base stat. Abilities are purchased and unlock new uses for skills. Here are the parts I have so far:

Skills (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jDeUPD5CK8Bk004cmG4ApVbD3Iqhoyxd_YYKWsHyxes/edit).
Abilities (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qcMrEvt8Hjc_2cpNtMxZgZ4jP9Yyj_UnUxmiDNAL2fI/edit).
Base rules (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qO4rLGR3LjhnVRCjk-7YO2Zra0uAQjEsaTW2HxiP5JY/edit).
Social Interactions (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AwSUl9d2HQchoxeKelcNvqPs3DHFb_Ct4p7W0HE_pYY/edit).
To-do list (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OxtnsAOiApn6Ex25xsNE7Je6ALZZ3zT-Xscy0p5LNXo/edit).

The setting is a cyberpunk setting heading towards transhumanism. Humanity is unlocking new abilities for itself, genetically and mechanically. Some of these abilities are almost magical in nature. The planet humanity inhabits is essentially post-apocalyptic. Most of humanity inhabits massive walled cities, while the rest of it is spread throughout the solar system, adapting to the wide variety of environments available. Some live in giant spaceships, others on asteroids, others float through the skies of a gas giant, some live on asteroids, etc. The constant high-scale warfare on the planet has led to tears in reality through which the fae pour, seeking to leave their own dying planet for ours.

I recognize that my game will not do anything particularly novel in terms of mechanics - I'm okay with that. What I want is a set of rules that fit my setting while being relatively easy to use. So here's what I'd like input on:

What character archetypes should be supported?
What skills are redundant, or not covered?
What subskills should be added?
What abilities should be added?
How can the core rules be altered to further streamline the game?
And finally, what else should the setting include?

AmberVael
2015-09-17, 03:33 PM
I know you said you're not looking to be very novel with your mechanics, but so far... I feel like you could save yourself a lot of work just by working with an existing FATE system instead. There's a ton of overlap, and it'd be easy to just make some setting specific rules for that than create an entirely new system. It'd end up being very similar, and honestly, probably more easy to balance.

Anyway.

At the moment, I feel your skill division could use work. Look at Diplomacy, for example- not only does it have a ton of uses on its own, but it kinda overlaps sense motive with the 'empathize' feature. My suggestion is rewrite sense motive into an Empathy skill, have it basically be the Notice/Perception type skill for social situations. See people's emotions, and motives, when they're lying, etc.

I'd probably rename Science to Academics like you were thinking.

Rumor Gathering I also think is just too focused. Reminds me a lot of Gather Information. I'd take a hint from FATE here and make it something more like Contacts. My suggestion: Networking. Its your ability to meet people, to know people, to hear about opportunities or news or be able to call in favors, that kind of thing. Much more versatile, much more competitive with other skills.

Also, I think I'd fold Unarmed into something else. Maybe even multiple something else's? I could see it being a subskill of both Wrestling and Light Weapons, for example. I just think that Unarmed on its own is much more limited.

Just some random thoughts.

BRKNdevil
2015-09-17, 04:11 PM
Or shadowrun

RFLS
2015-09-18, 12:48 PM
I know you said you're not looking to be very novel with your mechanics, but so far... I feel like you could save yourself a lot of work just by working with an existing FATE system instead. There's a ton of overlap, and it'd be easy to just make some setting specific rules for that than create an entirely new system. It'd end up being very similar, and honestly, probably more easy to balance.

Anyway.

At the moment, I feel your skill division could use work. Look at Diplomacy, for example- not only does it have a ton of uses on its own, but it kinda overlaps sense motive with the 'empathize' feature. My suggestion is rewrite sense motive into an Empathy skill, have it basically be the Notice/Perception type skill for social situations. See people's emotions, and motives, when they're lying, etc.

I'd probably rename Science to Academics like you were thinking.

Rumor Gathering I also think is just too focused. Reminds me a lot of Gather Information. I'd take a hint from FATE here and make it something more like Contacts. My suggestion: Networking. Its your ability to meet people, to know people, to hear about opportunities or news or be able to call in favors, that kind of thing. Much more versatile, much more competitive with other skills.

Also, I think I'd fold Unarmed into something else. Maybe even multiple something else's? I could see it being a subskill of both Wrestling and Light Weapons, for example. I just think that Unarmed on its own is much more limited.

Just some random thoughts.

Yeah, I have looked at Fate, and I'm (obviously) pulling from it, but with everything I've found, it'd take a fair bit of legwork on my own to make it fit the setting anyway. Besides, I've been itching to design my own system for a while.

You're right about Diplomacy, I hadn't even realized the overlap; I rehauled the Diplomacy system from what it was and forgot to take Sense Motive out. Thank you.

Science has now been renamed to Academics. I included a clause about needing to pick up the Specialize ability so that there's a bit of a wall between players knowing everything. I also included a couple more subjects that might be useful to have around later.

Would you mind expanding on Contacts? Are you suggesting it be a skill, with subuses like contacts known, gather information, distribute information, etc, or are you suggesting a subsystem separate from skills?

I'm inclined to keep Unarmed as it is; honestly, it's because I'm partial to that fighting style and I'd like to include uses for it such as repositioning and disarming, although...hm. I suppose other fighting skills can be used for those things as well. I'll give it some thought.

Or shadowrun

This is definitely useful advice. Thank you.