PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next An "I'm fully rested. Now let's kick some butt!" item feedback wanted.

Groggen
2015-09-27, 11:24 AM
Hi. I had an idea that I liked, but I'm really unsure about the power level of it.

The item (belt, bandana, banana, whatever) requires attunement and has the following property: "While attuned to this item and at maximum Hit Points, your melee weapon attacks deal an additional 2 damage." This is intended for a fighter or paladin between levels 5 and 9. Would this be an item you would use as a player? Would you want it to deal more/less extra damage?

As is, it's kind of bland, so suggestions on that part is also welcome.

Any and all feedback is appreciated :smallsmile:

JNAProductions
2015-09-27, 01:23 PM
I would not waste an attunement slot on it. +2 damage is pretty nice, but only while at max HP? Too niche.

erradin
2015-09-27, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I have to agree. If it only works at full health, it is pretty limited. I would adjust the threshold a bit, perhaps make it work until the first time you are bloodied in a day.

Groggen
2015-09-27, 05:31 PM
Ok, so attunement is out. Then the question is whether I should a) make the bonus bigger, but keep the max HP bit, or b) keep the bonus as is and change the threshold. Or c) "whenever you receive healing, you gain a +x bonus to damage until the end of your next turn". Would that work? I just really like the idea of something keying off HP or healing (although "bloodied" reminds me too much of a certain edition...).

Thanks for the replies btw :smallsmile:

Groggen
2015-09-27, 09:50 PM
I found another version that might work for me:

"While attuned to this item and at maximum Hit Points, it bestows the effects of the Bless spell on you.

Whenever you receive magical healing you may cast Divine Favor as a reaction."

This weapon would most likely end up in the hands of either a paladin or a Life cleric, so they would be able to heal themselves...

Edit: Changed ability to use Divine Favor.