PDA

View Full Version : [Spells] Battle illusions!

Lysander
2007-05-20, 02:34 AM
In warfare information is power. A wizard with the right illusions can control the battle.

Invulnerability Glamour
Bard 3, Sorc/Wiz 3
Range: Touch
Duration: 2 minutes per caster level

This spell masks any damage done to you, creating the illusion of perfect health at all times. Any attacks or damaging force that affect you will appear to have supernaturally failed: swords will pass through without leaving a mark, punches will leave no bruise, arrows will embed themselves without causing bleeding. No actual damage is prevented however. You gain +2 to intimidate checks against a fooled opponent who has seen an attack seem to fail.

False Orders
Bard 2, Sorc/Wiz 2
Range: 100ft + 10 ft/level
Duration: 3 rounds + 1 round/level

This spell allows you to point to any person you can see within range, and then create the sound of their voice saying any message you like, originating from any location in range, at any volume that person could normally use from a whisper to a scream. You do not need to know what that person's voice sounds like in order to copy it.

Peregrine
2007-05-20, 02:54 AM
Very nice ideas. :smallsmile:

Invulnerability Glamour
Bard 3, Sorc/Wiz 3

This spell masks any damage done to you, creating the illusion of perfect health at all times. Any attacks or damaging force that affect you will appear to have supernaturally failed: swords will pass through without leaving a mark, punches will leave no bruise, arrows will embed themselves without causing bleeding. No actual damage is prevented however. You gain +2 to intimidate checks against a fooled opponent who has seen an attack seem to fail.

This would be absolutely awesome in conjunction with mirror image. :smallbiggrin:

False Orders
Bard 2, Sorc/Wiz 2

This spell allows you to point to any person you can see within range, and then create the sound of their voice saying any message you like, originating from any location in range, at any volume that person could normally use from a whisper to a scream. You do not need to know what that person's voice sounds like in order to copy it.

Forget battle, this is a brilliant social spell! (And I seem to remember Gandalf using this on some trolls, too...)

Lysander
2007-05-20, 10:54 AM
It's true that False Orders could cause havoc even without the situation being violent. Here's another idea I had:

Spook Horses

This spell functions as minor image, except the created illusion is only perceivable by horses, donkeys, and mules. If used to create a threatening creature or obstacle it will provoke the owner, whether riding or dismounted, to make a DC 20 ride check to prevent the horse from fleeing. To any people it will appear as if their steeds are panicking for no reason.

Arbitrarity
2007-05-20, 11:15 AM
Invulnerability glamer, while stylish, either needs an extra effect of a bigger bonus. I can get +2 to all skill checks, not just intimidate, and saves, with heroism.

False orders could come in handy.

Both of these have great style, and nice potential functionality, but could use either more of a fixed mechanical boost (for those DM's who don't like to add unmentioned circumstance bonuses), or some reduction in level.

EDIT: That's what I said for potential functionality. I suppose the fluff is obvious enough that anyone worth their salt can figure it out.

Human Paragon 3
2007-05-20, 11:34 AM
Invulnerability glamer, while stylish, either needs an extra effect of a bigger bonus. I can get +2 to all skill checks, not just intimidate, and saves, with heroism.

False orders could come in handy.

Both of these have great style, and nice potential functionality, but could use either more of a fixed mechanical boost (for those DM's who don't like to add unmentioned circumstance bonuses), or some reduction in level.

Your missing the real boon of the glamour, which is the non-mechanical psychological effect this will have on PCs (or NPCs, too). Once they see that their spells are failing, their swords are passing through to no effect etc. they will likely think that they cannot hurt the spell's target and give up attacking him, or even flee. Without knowing this spell description, I would probably guess that the guy had some broken homebrewed spell of damage negation on him and figure that 1) we are meant to flee this battle or 2) there is some trick that we need to do to hurt him i.e. break his jewel of power and start wasting actions trying to figure it out.

Combined with a Stone Skin (and/or mirror image) to soak as many real hits as possible, this spell will totally swing the tides of most battles. And with a spell level of just 3, this ability can make even a weak wizard seem like an unstoppable Archmage.

Edit: I am using this spell this Sunday, I'll let you know how it works!

DracoDei
2007-05-20, 12:39 PM
Since the first spell has a range of 'touch' it should say 'the target' rather than 'your'. I like the idea of the first one.

The second one should be an illusion that draws the appropriate sound of the voice from the targets' own mind I think, since you don't have to know what the voice you are duplicating sounds like. This also lets you put a limit on the number of targets, which keeps it from being too powerful in major military engagements for a lower level caster (yeah, I know this is rarely going to come up since D&D is hero focused but it is still a good thing to think about fluff wise at the least).

Lysander
2007-05-21, 12:21 AM
Oh yes, for false orders I meant you first must select a single person, and then you can recreate only their voice for the duration of the spell.

DracoDei
2007-05-21, 12:28 AM
Perhaps I misread, or perhaps you updated... I may need to start reading more carefully, or just accept that it will happen semi-regularly rather than merely occasionally for me...

Human Paragon 3
2007-06-07, 01:31 PM
Still haven't tested out the spell, but i'm going to, and when I do, I'll let you know how it worked.

Enlong
2007-06-07, 08:05 PM
It's true that False Orders could cause havoc even without the situation being violent. Here's another idea I had:

Spook Horses

This spell functions as minor image, except the created illusion is only perceivable by horses, donkeys, and mules. If used to create a threatening creature or obstacle it will provoke the owner, whether riding or dismounted, to make a DC 20 ride check to prevent the horse from fleeing. To any people it will appear as if their steeds are panicking for no reason.

Verbal Component: The word "Blücher"

Lysander
2007-06-07, 08:52 PM
Nice reference.

ghost_warlock
2007-06-09, 09:05 AM
Not to be a stickler, but it seems like your spell descriptions are lacking some vital details to make them viable.

Otherwise, I like 'em! :smallsmile:

Invulnerability Glamour
Illusion (Glamor)
Bard 3, Sorc/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Area: Personal
Saving Throw: Will disbelief (if interacted with)
Spell Resistance: No

False Orders
Illusion (Phantasm) [Language-Dependent, Mind-Affecting]
Bard 2, Sorc/Wiz 2
Components: V, S
Effect: Intelligible sound, usually speech

This spell allows you to point to any person you can see within range, and then create the sound of their voice saying any message you like, originating from any location in range, at any volume that person could normally use from a whisper to a scream. You do not need to know what that person's voice sounds like in order to copy it, but you must speak a language in common with potential targets in order to be understood or the spell fails.

nooblade
2007-06-09, 08:24 PM
How about this? Sorry if there's another book with it, I don't get many.

Falsify Attacks
Illusion (Glamer)
Bard 4, Sorc/Wiz 4 (I think its a good level. If you just want crazy sneak attacks, blink can do that.)
Components: V, S, F
Area: Personal (the weapon and other required body parts)
Duration: (special) Partial Concentration (requires a move-action every round instead of a standard action. Also, must be dismissed before other spells can be cast)

The caster creates an illusion related to attacking. The illusion is that the target is attacking from a different angle or at a different targeted area than what he actually is. The target's opponent is effectively flat-footed against the target's attacks, unless their will save against the spell is successful (I'm uncertain whether uncanny dodge should work against it). The opponent obviously knows about the illusion after the first time it is used, but the caster can keep them off-guard by simply making the illusionary attack move to the same place as the regular attack. Another benefit of this spell is that the bonuses of defensive fighting (full defense, combat expertise, etc.) are doubled.

The target can never appear to be in a different square than what she actually occupies. There is no benefit for ranged weapons (maybe a different spell). Obviously useless against mindless creatures.

I don't know what the caster is supposed to do with a standard action while this is going on, but it does make it so that they can attack themselves. A magical item with this would be neat.