PDA

View Full Version : Blink Dog [Monster Class]

JackMage666
2007-05-20, 08:52 PM
Blink Dog (Magical Beast)

These canines are defenders of their packs and lands against evil forces daring to invade their territory. Though generally shying away from humanoids, the exceptional Blink Dog may wish to adventure with others, particularly if he was abandoned by his pack. They are social animals, and may see their humanoid allies as their chosen pack. This is not true, however, if the humanoids associate or befriend Displacer Beasts, a Blink Dog's natural enemy. They are generally good, and their loyalty tends toward law, though there are some exceptions. Evil of any sort, though, is extremely rare among Blink Dogs.

This creature has many fo the same problems as a Griffon, in that it cannot speak (to most creatures, that is), and will often be asked to serve as a mount to smaller races. However, their Blink and Dimension Door abilities allow them to slip in and out of places quickly and undetected, a great boon to thieves and scouts. Take note, however, that if serving as a mount Blink and Dimension Door will not take your rider along with you.

Racial Traits
Starting Ability Score Adjustments: Dex+2. Blink Dogs are quick and agile.
Speed: Blink Dogs starting speed is 30 ft
Darkvision: Blink Dogs can see in the dark up to 60 ft.
Low-light vision: Blink Dogs can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Automatic Languages: Blink Dog. A Blink Dog can not speak any other languages, however they can understand any other language they know (based on Intelligence score.)
Favored Class: Blink Dog. The best multiclassing choices for a Blink Dog are Rogue and Ranger.

Class Skills
The Blink Dog's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Hide (Dex), Listen (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis)

Blink Dog
{table=head]Level|Hit Dice|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Skill Points|CR|Special

1st|
1d10|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|
(2+Int Mod)x4|
1|Feat, Bite (1d4), Scent (10 ft), Blink (1/day)

2nd|
2d10|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|
2+Int Mod|
1|+2 Dex, +1 Natural Armor, Track, Dimension Door (1/day)

3rd|
2d10|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|
---|
1|Bite (1d6), Scent (20 ft)

4th|
3d10|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|
2+Int Mod|
1|Feat, +2 Wis, +2 Natural Armor, Speed (40 ft), Blink (3/day)

5th|
4d10|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|
2+Int Mod|
2|Scent (30 ft), Dimension Door (3/day)

6th|
4d10|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|
---|
2|+2 Dex, +3 Natural Armor, Blink, Dimension Door[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Blink Dog monster class.

Weapons and Armor Proficency: A Blink Dog has no proficiency with weapons, armor, or shields.

Feats: A Blink Dog recieves one feat at 1st level and an additional feat at 4th level. After 6th level it gains feats normally according to it's character level, as shown on Table 3-2: Experience and Level-Dependent Abilities (PHB pg 22)

Bite: A Blink Dog has a bite attack that is a natural weapon dealing the indicated damage plus Strength bonus times 1 1/2.

Blink: At 1st level, a Blink Dog can use Blink as the spell (Caster Level 3rd) once per day as a standard action.

At 4th level, he may use this ability three times per day, with a Caster Level of 6. Using this ability is now a Move Action.

At 6th level, he may use this ability at will, with a Caster Level of 8. Using this ability is now a Free Action.

Track: At 2nd level, a Blink Dog gains Track as a bonus feat.

Dimension Door: At 2nd level, a Blink Dog may use Dimension Door as the spell (Caster Level 4) once per day as a Standard Action. A Blink Dog may not take anyone else with him.

At 5th level, he may use this ability three times per day, with a Caster Level of 7. Using this ability is a Move Action, and he may act immediately after using this.

At 6th level, he may use this ability at will, with a Caster Level of 8. Using this ability is now a free action.

knightsaline
2007-05-20, 10:53 PM
shouldn't they be proficient in their bite attack?

JackMage666
2007-05-20, 10:57 PM
All creatures are automatically proficient with natural weapons and unarmed strikes.

Matthew
2007-05-24, 01:59 PM
I'm confused. What's the point in this exactly? What is a Monster Class?

Dryad
2007-05-24, 02:05 PM
A monster class is the ability to play a monster with a level adjustment, while starting out at first level like the rest of the party.
You don't actually get any class features, but instead build up the natural hit dice and special abilities of the monster's species.

Whoops, edit: Yay! I love blink-dogs! I'd love to play one, too! And it enables me to introduce lower CR blinkdog monsters in a chronicle! *huggles* Thankies!

Matthew
2007-05-24, 02:12 PM
I see. Is this idea in some book or other?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-24, 02:19 PM
I see. Is this idea in some book or other?

Introduced in Savage Species, continued in some of the Races books and the MM-IV (among others)

Triaxx
2007-05-24, 02:21 PM
While I'm slightly curious what the skill Kisten does, I like the idea. As to the question of proficiency, Wolves naturally have Weapon Focus (Bite). Perhaps as a bonus feat?

Instead of D-Dooring at will, I'd give them the option to carry the rider during a D-Door.

Dryad
2007-05-24, 02:58 PM
Dimension door:
Target: Self and Creatures Touched.

Matthew
2007-05-24, 03:04 PM
Introduced in Savage Species, continued in some of the Races books and the MM-IV (among others)
Ah right, gotcha. Thanks. I haven't read either of those books.

JackMage666
2007-05-24, 06:31 PM
The Dimension door ability is the same as teh Dimension Door ability of the Blink Dog.

Doesn't get any bonus feats, either, since it's emulating a Blink Dog. Basically, by the time a OC reaches 6th Monster Level, they are exactly like a MM Blink Dog.