PDA

View Full Version : Link...he come to town!

Tyrael
2007-05-21, 03:46 AM
Ahoy, folks. This has probably been done before, but I tried Searching and came up with waaay too many mentions of Link, and no actual builds. In any case, I'm interested in making a Link-type character, but I'm not 100% sure what to make him as. He has too many skills to be a Fighter, but he's sturdier than a Rogue and doesn't really sneak attack people. Scout's a possibility, but he's not quite as mobile as they are. Any ideas? How would YOU guys make Link in DnD?

Tengu
2007-05-21, 03:49 AM
Archery-based ranger? Maybe with a dip in warblade for some of his special attacks.

Ninja Chocobo
2007-05-21, 05:15 AM
Bard. I know it sounds blasphemous, but think of the stuff he can make music with, and the stuff he can do with his music.

mrjoegangles
2007-05-21, 05:28 AM
The whole throwing a sword ability at full hit points is tricky. At least if we are thinking about classic Link. Its really not a returning sword cause he still has one in hand when he throws. More like hes shooting out a phantom version of said sword. And is it his ability (Original Link) or the swords (SNES Link)

Whirlwind is a must feat. At least if you ever played the SNES version.
His proficency with a wide variety of gadgets and magic items makes me think of a bard/rogue class. Plus he does spend alot of time walking into NPCs houses and just taking rupees out of their broken pottery. If thats not a rogue then what is.

But there is that heavy shield and buff armor he gets later on, and thats a fighter class right there, plus he uses magic. Maybe duskblade?

purple_smurf
2007-05-21, 05:47 AM
Tome of Battle, pg. 109-113, they even have a picture for the visual types.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-21, 07:36 AM

Yeah, that class is a complete rippoff homage.

Though oddly its closer to some kind of fusion of Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time. I don't think Twilight Princess was out when Tomb of Battle was being written.

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-05-21, 09:38 AM
Don't forget a Pixie Cohort! :D

MeklorIlavator
2007-05-21, 07:37 PM

What exactly is on those pages? I don't have the book with me(it a friend's), but isn't that arounf the disipline pages?

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-05-21, 07:44 PM

We have an Eternal Blade in our group. I think I'm going to suggest to my DM to start having his spirit guide constantly bug him with "Hey!", "Listen!", and *Ding ding ding*.

my_evil_twin
2007-05-21, 07:54 PM
What skills does Link have? Ride, climb, swim, and jump, maybe. I think pushing blocks can be done untrained.

Try a ranger. Take the archery combat style and use feats for sword and shield fighting. Have a light warhorse animal companion and I think you've got it about covered.

ocato
2007-05-21, 08:00 PM
I agree with bard, and not just because I'm ocato.

Granted, it's probably a mithril light shield for no spell failure, but maybe not. Link isn't a huge caster but

1. Whirling Blade is a bard spell that allows you to throw a melee slashing weapon and add charisma in place of strength. I think other classes get it too using their primary casting stat but that's not the point.
2. Previously mentioned musical aptitude
3. Very likable by just about every single villager he meets.
4. Consorts with fairies
5. Not really a big armor type
6. Consorts with fairies
7. foppish hat

knightsaline
2007-05-21, 08:07 PM
Fighter. link never actually CASTS the spells, he uses talismans/gems to cast them. make him a fighter with UMD ranks. make sure he has a high INT to justify the skillpoints. make sure to take EWP Bastard sword if you hope to be weilding a biggorons sword

Paladin of Freedom. Link never seemed to me to be lawful, so PoF fits fine. the reason for PoF is epona. epona seems to be able to withstand any hits, be summoned whenever and dissapears when not needed. sounds like a pallys mount

Link does sneak attack things, he exploits the weak points of big monsters to bring them down. rogue fits perfectly for this.

for PrCs, I'd say kensai, just to make a Master Sword for no GP expenditure. you'd need to take about 3 levels of that class to replicate a master sword (holy and ghost touch at least). there is the problem of having to be lawful. if you are making link like i said, you might have to ask the DM if he can make an exception. the oath that link might have to make is "to take down Ganondorf/ Majora/Veran" or, if you are playing in a world dreamed by the Windfish "to wake the Windfish" or, if playing in the Great Sea "to bring my sister back to my home island".

ArmorArmadillo
2007-05-21, 08:11 PM
I'd say a bard/ranger.
Ranger for combat abilities, Bard for Use Magic Device (Link is all about Wands, Ocarinas, Magic Feathers, Bombs, Magic Canes, Boomerangs, Spinners, etc.)

Possibly toss in a few fighter levels to get to Whrilwind attack.

F.H. Zebedee
2007-05-21, 08:20 PM
Hmmm... I'm thinking that yeah, start fighter and then go off to pick up ranger levels. Horse animal companion, archery track, and yes, definately get the pixie cohort.

Paladin ALMOST gets what you need (Come on, ability to summon mount out of thin air? TOO perfect. Immunity to Fear effects? Friggin' perfect. Blessed by Gods? Yet again, spot on.) However, the healing/turn undead has got to go. Maybe some variant paladin, like the hunter-Paladin (Give up healing for Favored Enemies) or something like that would be good for 5 levels. Granted, then you've got a spare animal companion or something, so I'm not sure on the whole paladin thing.

TheThan
2007-05-21, 08:42 PM
It depends on what version of Link you want.

Oldskool link is a fighter focusing in sword and board fighting and archery. He’s also pretty decked out in magic gear. At one time he could cast magic unaided by equipment so its safe to assume he’s a fighter/sorcerer gestalt character. I haven’t played the newer games much so someone else will have to work on the other versions of Link.

Mad Wizard
2007-05-21, 09:02 PM
Going by what I've seen in Twilight Princess (haven't beaten the game yet), I actually statted him out. IMO, he's a warblade. He learns a bunch of maneuvers, seems to wear chainmail under the clothes, and I found a bunch of maneuvers that fit his abilities very well.

EvilElitest
2007-05-21, 09:05 PM
The whole throwing a sword ability at full hit points is tricky. At least if we are thinking about classic Link. Its really not a returning sword cause he still has one in hand when he throws. More like hes shooting out a phantom version of said sword. And is it his ability (Original Link) or the swords (SNES Link)

Whirlwind is a must feat. At least if you ever played the SNES version.
His proficency with a wide variety of gadgets and magic items makes me think of a bard/rogue class. Plus he does spend alot of time walking into NPCs houses and just taking rupees out of their broken pottery. If thats not a rogue then what is.

But there is that heavy shield and buff armor he gets later on, and thats a fighter class right there, plus he uses magic. Maybe duskblade?

How about his own custom class? I'm making a zelda homebrew, but it is kinda a big project so i'm taking it in burts
I could use help
from,
EE

knightsaline
2007-05-21, 09:21 PM
EE, it's already been done. here (http://ouroborosi.bravehost.com/Zeldad20main.htm) is the link for it.

Tyrael
2007-05-21, 09:22 PM
What about equipment? Rod of Ropes = Hookshot is easy, but anything else? Longsword? Bastard Sword? Heavy Steel shield? Any armor? In TP he appears to wear chainmail...maybe mithril to let him use his DEX bonus? What do you guys think?

Oh, and what about other random items? Bottles? Rope? (does he ever actually use rope?)

ArmorArmadillo
2007-05-21, 09:40 PM
What about equipment? Rod of Ropes = Hookshot is easy, but anything else? Longsword? Bastard Sword? Heavy Steel shield? Any armor? In TP he appears to wear chainmail...maybe mithril to let him use his DEX bonus? What do you guys think?

Oh, and what about other random items? Bottles? Rope? (does he ever actually use rope?)
Begins with Leafweave Padded Armor, upgrades to Mithral Chain Shirt later.

Roc's Feather is an Improved Ring of Jump.

Pegasus Boots are Boots of Striding and Springing.

Megaton Hammer would be an Adamantine Warhammer

Spinner is...hard...

TheOOB
2007-05-21, 10:36 PM
I see him as definatly being a warblade, primarly because all fighter types should be retconner into ToB classes.

The thing to remember is that most of links abilities come from items, not innate power. Sure he's good with a sword and bow, and quite strong and agile, but it's things like the master sword and fire rod that give him power.

Vaniel
2007-05-21, 10:39 PM
You forgot those Bombs.

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-05-21, 10:44 PM
I'd go with a Swordsage/Eternal Blade myself.

Ranger/Paladin could also work, espicially if you use the "Holy Warrior" replacement feat in Complete Champion.

Duskblade could be The Adventure of Link version...

Neek
2007-05-21, 10:57 PM
EE, it's already been done. here (http://ouroborosi.bravehost.com/Zeldad20main.htm) is the link for it.

That's swell. Well, it would be quite swell if it had working links and an available download. :(

knightsaline
2007-05-22, 12:09 AM
then theres this (http://boards1.wizards.com/forumdisplay.php?s
=&forumid=449). not sure if it still works as I got it from the legend of zelda D20 sourcebook.

Corncracker
2007-05-22, 01:44 AM
Actually, Fighter is the only Logical Class for Link to be. Why you ask? For everything you can do with link, these would be his D&D equivalent feats. (The Twilight Princess Version)

Mounted Combat - He fights from Horseback.
Mounted Archery - He fires From Horseback.
Ride By Attack - He can easily and effectively do this.
Combat Expertise - Needed for whirlwind attack.
Whirlwind Attack - Link can obviously do this.
Improved Critical (Long Sword) - This would explain hitting the boss's where they are weak, sneak attack doesn't quite cut it.
Weapon Focus (Long Sword) - Seems logical considering how good he is with a sword.
Power Attack - Needed for leap attack.
Leap Attack - Links power slash can be considered leap attack.
Improved Shield Bash - Relates to one of his later moves.
Dodge - He dodges things quite well.
Mobility - He's good at avoiding many attacks of opprotunity, like rushing past an enemy.
Spring Attack - Its easy as hell to attack and pull back as Link.
Improved Bull Rush - When charging an enemy, normally you get to attack first, so they are denied attacks of opportunity.

Also, for another one of Links techniques from Twilight princess. I couldn't quite find a feat to cover it, however the Skill Trick Acrobatic Backstab seems to fit the bill. However 12 ranks in Tumble are needed, so to balance this I gave Link one Rogue Level for his starter level.

http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=53508

Its not quite finished, but I believe this is a rather accurate link build.

And why can't he be a Ranger really? No animal Companion, nothing that really resembles a Favored enemy, and things like that. Also, playing instruments does not make you a Bard. And I'll be adding in Preform (Grass flute) soon, as I forgot about that when I made that sheet.

Setra
2007-05-22, 02:16 AM
I'd say there isn't much evidence that Link has a high con, when he's hit by attacks he's hurt pretty badly. His strength comes from evasion.

I'd lower con by 6, boost dex by 2, and wis by 4.

Just my thoughts.

Overall it's pretty good, I'd say.

Corncracker
2007-05-22, 02:37 AM
I'd say there isn't much evidence that Link has a high con, when he's hit by attacks he's hurt pretty badly. His strength comes from evasion.

I'd lower con by 6, boost dex by 2, and wis by 4.

Just my thoughts.

Edit: Also, make the Master Sword "Holy"

Overall it's pretty good, I'd say.
His Con actually started out at 12. Its just that all his Stat raises went to Con, to 15. Though his level 16 I haven't added in yet, so it could be 16. I did this to recreate him getting all those hearts.

Here was my reasoning on all the stats though. (However Dex will raise, as you are in fact correct there)

Strength: He seems rather good with a sword, and since hit rate is based on Strength, it seemed like a good Idea to give him a decent strength score.

Dexterity: After the last comment, I decided to in fact raise it up, as he does get much strength from dodging attacks.

Con: All the hearts he gains represents the Con Score.

Int: All the skills he is capable of means he would need a good Inteligence.

Wis: All the mind effecting abilities that effect him always hit, so he has a horrid will save.

Cha: Everyone, even animals, like Link.

REally, as he is portrayed, Wisdom is Links only weak point.

And the Master sword is getting reworked a bit. Soon to come are all of Links Nifty Gadgets.

Edit: Here are the Master Swords current Stats. For those who think its over powered, it seems tailored for battling Castors, so its effects seem extremely fitting. Also, it is said to be the strongest sword ever created, so its bound to be scary.

The Master Sword - The Legendary Sword. Against all Evil and Chaotic Creatures the Master Sword gains a +3 to hit. In addition the Master Sword deals an additional +2d6 energy damage.

In addition, the Master Sword Gains the power to reflect magic attacks. All spells that attack a target for damage (Fireball, Lighting Bold, Magic Missile,) that target link may be reflected back to the Caster. Link must make an attack roll (Treat the spells AC as 10+Castor Level+Spell Level. The AC also increases by +1 for spell focus, +1 for Greater Spell Focus, +1 for spell penetration, and +1 for greater spell penetration.)(All of this is before the MAster sword is infused with the energy of Twilight)

The Master Sword has a +2 to attack and damage against all outsiders.
(Post Twilight)

Setra
2007-05-22, 02:55 AM
His Con actually started out at 12. Its just that all his Stat raises went to Con, to 15. Though his level 16 I haven't added in yet, so it could be 16. I did this to recreate him getting all those hearts.

Wis: All the mind effecting abilities that effect him always hit, so he has a horrid will save.
Ah, yeah I didn't think of that.

Link's gonna have a horrid will save regardless of Wis, but he seems to be good at spotting things, or at least the games would make you think he is. Plus coming up with strategies (Or is that int?), I suppose he is rather naive though... It's just hard to imagine Link with a Wis penalty :smalltongue:

Corncracker
2007-05-22, 03:25 AM
Ah, yeah I didn't think of that.

Link's gonna have a horrid will save regardless of Wis, but he seems to be good at spotting things, or at least the games would make you think he is. Plus coming up with strategies (Or is that int?), I suppose he is rather naive though... It's just hard to imagine Link with a Wis penalty :smalltongue:

rarely does Link ever spot anything though. You always search it out. There are no indicators of a good Wis from Link. Anywhere that I can think of at least.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-22, 03:51 AM
And why can't he be a Ranger really? No animal Companion, nothing that really resembles a Favored enemy, and things like that. Also, playing instruments does not make you a Bard. And I'll be adding in Preform (Grass flute) soon, as I forgot about that when I made that sheet.

No animal companion? He has a horse as well as an Eagle in Twilight Princess.

Fizban
2007-05-22, 04:09 AM
Then add the wild shape variant from UA to simulate wolf form, and get rid of the TWF/over specialty in archery problem (link has a bow, but it's not his main weapon).

Really though, the number of things even just link can do is a good representation of how feat heavy DnD can be. I'd say he's just fine with power attack for the various swings, and maybe cleave as well considering what happens in Twilight Princess when you drop someone (you automatically target the next foe and the sword continues swinging towards the new target). Everything else is just either base stats or equipment. And some way to get a whirlwind attack move, but there are ranger spells that can pull that off now that I think of it.

Anyway, wildshape ranger with PA, some skill tricks, and maybe some warblade levels. The master sword just screams weapons of legacy as well.

Corncracker
2007-05-22, 04:11 AM
No animal companion? He has a horse as well as an Eagle in Twilight Princess.

The eagle isn't really his. And the horse really any class can have, so long as you buy one. Animal Companions tend to be able to fight as well, the horse cannot. In addition, if he loses Epona, he can't exactly get another one like a ranger could replace his animal Companion (At least I believe the ranger can do that. If not, then the only things stopping link from being a ranger are lack of Favored enemy and the necessary Feats).

Epona just doesn't seem like an animal Companion in the normal sense of one.

Corncracker
2007-05-22, 04:20 AM
Then add the wild shape variant from UA to simulate wolf form, and get rid of the TWF/over specialty in archery problem (link has a bow, but it's not his main weapon).

Really though, the number of things even just link can do is a good representation of how feat heavy DnD can be. I'd say he's just fine with power attack for the various swings, and maybe cleave as well considering what happens in Twilight Princess when you drop someone (you automatically target the next foe and the sword continues swinging towards the new target). Everything else is just either base stats or equipment. And some way to get a whirlwind attack move, but there are ranger spells that can pull that off now that I think of it.

Anyway, wildshape ranger with PA, some skill tricks, and maybe some warblade levels. The master sword just screams weapons of legacy as well.

God, I forgot Link can Wild Shape into that wolf at will later. I guess that Twilight Shard you get so you can transform at will will cover that, as really link doesn't have the ability to do it himself anyway.

As for ranger spells, even though the ranger gets spells that can do it, Link is no spell Caster. So he must be able to accomplish this without the use of spells.

As for the cleave you talk about, I'm calling that just using his attacks against different guys, as he has 3 attacks a round right now. Even if your attack in TP goes to the next. when the combo ends so does the attack string, hence why I avoided giving him Cleave. (I'm trying to recreate all his abilities while keeping the level as low as possible, and avoiding Spell Casters.)

BardicDuelist
2007-05-22, 08:24 AM
This is going to sound weird, but why not one level of druid.
I know the spellcasting can get in the way, but that can be worked around.

You can take the variant in PHB2 and get wild shape into a wolf at will.

In exchange for the spell casting, you get an animal companion (epona), and are not forced to rely on drudic weapon selection.

Corncracker
2007-05-22, 08:35 AM
This is going to sound weird, but why not one level of druid.
I know the spellcasting can get in the way, but that can be worked around.

You can take the variant in PHB2 and get wild shape into a wolf at will.

In exchange for the spell casting, you get an animal companion (epona), and are not forced to rely on drudic weapon selection.
That could work. However another issue comes with that. As I said, Link himself does not have the ability to use Wild Shape. Wild Shape comes from a different source all together, the Twilight shard that gets pulled from him. Without it he can't transform. In addition its hardly a normal wolf, thus has an odd set of stats on its own, not like a wolf a Druid can change into.

Tyrael
2007-05-22, 11:08 AM
It's almost like a Phylactery of Polymorph.