PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Looking for a class/ background for making things out of my enimies

teddymaster2
2015-10-13, 03:52 PM
I am currently playing in my first D&D campaign and i love it. my only problem is that my favorite thing to do in a RPG's is to use parts of the things i beat to make things. For example I just killed two basilisks (with help) and then i skinned them. I was sad to find that i couldn't make anything out of their skins like a cape of armor (they have a tough hid and have spikes on their backs) but i found that my character build with a paladin with a sage background didn't know how to do this. And it would take considerable time to learn how to do it (understandable). The more senior members of the campaign said that i should build a backup character in case my current one dies. Does anyone know of any classes or backgrounds that will enable me to do this? or give me bonuses to doing this like improving items or mabey enchanting them?

ShinigamiKenji
2015-10-13, 08:51 PM
I'm not an expert player, but I'd like to help with my 2 CP as a guy who loves to think about character concepts.

Let's talk a bit about requirements first. First of all, if you intend on forging or crafting normal items, you will probably be at least somewhat skilled, so you might need some INT (maybe a dash of DEX, depending on your DM and what kind of item you have in mind). You will also need proficiency with the right set of tools, and a place and quite a bit of time to work during your adventure, as well as the materials (don't think you can just sew some pieces of hide and make an armor in the middle of the desert!)

Now, for enchanting or crafting magic items, you will need to talk with your DM, since magic items are supposed to be quite rare. But I can say that most probably, if he allows you, you will need MUCH more time and resources (there are some places that say you might need a team of apprentices and colleagues to make a high-level item). Also, you will need quite high values of Arcana skill, as well as high INT and probably high level in a spellcasting class. That said, I will focus on crafting mundane, non-magical items, since a spellcaster powerful enough to craft magic items will probably end up meeting the requirements sooner or later.

For the last requirement, you need to survive in the world and be useful to your team apart from crafting. The paladin is a balanced class, as a semi-caster and fighter, so I assume you like some versatility and magic. Personally, I think crafting itself has less to class than to race or background, but still, we want to make good use of your Ability Scores, and add some more flavour to the character.

First, you might look into a race that gives bonuses to INT, or maybe proficiency with a set of tools (though the latter can be patched up with the right background). I'd look into Dwarf, Elf, Half-Elf, Gnome or, if your DM allows it, Variant Human, but you can make it work with the other races.

Secondly, your class. I personally think Rogue fits with the INT-based crafting and versatility, but really, I think any class should be adjustable to the crafting theme with the right story (exception may be Wizard or Cleric, but I feel even them can reasonably be fitted into the concept).

Lastly, your background. Guild Artisan should fit well with the crafting theme, but Folk Hero also allows for an artisan's tool proficiency. However, you may talk to your DM to see if he allows to change tool proficiency, based on your backstory.

And remember: when crafting an item, you usually add up 5gp/day, and only becoming ready when it reaches market value. For example, forging a 200 gp chainmail would take 40 days. Dunno how your DM will set the rules for forging things like basilisk-hide armor.

Blood of Gaea
2015-10-13, 09:34 PM
I am currently playing in my first D&D campaign and i love it. my only problem is that my favorite thing to do in a RPG's is to use parts of the things i beat to make things. For example I just killed two basilisks (with help) and then i skinned them. I was sad to find that i couldn't make anything out of their skins like a cape of armor (they have a tough hid and have spikes on their backs) but i found that my character build with a paladin with a sage background didn't know how to do this. And it would take considerable time to learn how to do it (understandable). The more senior members of the campaign said that i should build a backup character in case my current one dies. Does anyone know of any classes or backgrounds that will enable me to do this? or give me bonuses to doing this like improving items or mabey enchanting them?

Ask your DM if you can play an Artificer Wizard. They are a subclass released with the Ebberon sample. Here is a link to the free information (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Eberron_v1.1.pdf).

Sadly there isn't a whole lot of crafting from things you kill in this addition, but you should talk to your DM about it, and see if they are willing to work something out.

Your a new player, don't worry about min/maxing, just make something to enjoy.

Kane0
2015-10-13, 09:45 PM
A ranger or rogue with guild artisan, folk hero or outlander background should suffice, especially if most of your crafting is in the skinning & survivalist category.

Magic items are purely in the DMs control, so any character is potentially equally capable of making them. The rate for regular gear is 5gp worth per person per day though, so it might take a few days to turn that basilisk hide into some fearsome hide armor.

There are some examples of creature product items in the DMG though, such as dragonhide armor.

Edit: Humorously, the noble background gets you an entourage of NPCs that you can use to assist you in crafting faster.

Kidbuu51
2015-10-13, 09:47 PM
As per the players hand book you can customize your own background

Blood of Gaea
2015-10-13, 10:01 PM
As per the players hand book you can customize your own background

Good point!

Here's my take on it.

Proficiency: Investigation, Survival/Nature (depends on how you want the flavor of the class to be).
Tools: Leather Worker's Tools, Alchemists Supplies.

Waste Not: When you find the corpse a creature that is not a Humanoid, you may roll an Intelligence (Investigation) check, with a difficulty determined by the DM. You may uncover an item may be crafted from the remains. Your DM decides the Skill Check required to craft the item, but expect it to range from 10-15 for most things, but rare monsters (like a dragon) may be as high as 25. It takes you one hour of crafting time per 50gp the item is worth to craft it. You must provide any ingredients required for the item that the creature does not provide. If you fail the crafting check, the materials needed to craft the item are ruined, and cannot be reused.

Rusty Killinger
2015-10-13, 10:07 PM
If your looking to give your character some flavor then you'll need that artisan's tools proficiency and not much else. As ShinigamiKenji mentioned you can get it in RAW from the guild artisan or folk hero backgrounds. It's a pretty minor balance concern to switch out another background's tool or gaming set proficiency for artisan tools. You can talk most DMs into that kind of change.

If your looking for a way to get a lot of magical gear then things get more complicated. In the 5th edition (as compared to earlier editions and some other RPGs) magical items are not really something that characters seek out as part of their character progression. They are a set of interesting and sometimes useful items the DM can throw in to make the game more fun. The DMG does have some optional rules for crafting magical items that starts with the statement "Magical items are the DM's purview". So find out if he's into the idea. I can see how hunts and missions to retrieve magical components could be a lot of fun.

Corran
2015-10-13, 10:21 PM
Easy. Be a necromancer and make undead allies out of enemy corpses. If you want to do that with your current character, become an oathbreaker, to get control undead at 3rd level (to make allies out of enemies as far as undead you encounter are concerned) and animate dead at 9th level (to essentially do what a necromancer would do, but at a lower impact). Crafting staff and wondrous items is nice, but can it compare to crafting your own minions? I leave the answer to you...

''There in the ground is an army, waiting to be summoned....''