View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Kraken Totem

Satyrnine
2015-10-14, 05:38 PM
***Work in Progress***
updated 2/2/16

Because, how cool are sea monsters?

Kraken Totem

LVL 3 - Totem Spirit

While raging, you may grapple as a bonus action.
While raging, you may use your reaction to grapple in place of an attack of opportunity.

LVL 6 - Aspect of the Beast

You may swim at twice your normal walking speed and may hold your breath for thrice the normal duration.

LVL 10 - Spirit Walker

Same as the other spirit walkers... but with giant squids.

LVL 14 - Totemic Attunement

While raging and "grappled onto a larger creature" attempts to dislodge you are made with disadvantage.
While raging, grappling prone creatures your size or smaller no longer requires a free hand.

Satyrnine
2015-10-17, 12:17 PM
Broke Dragon and Kraken totems up into separate threads. Minor edits.

Rendingthorne
2016-01-30, 08:27 PM
How, perchance, would the Kraken totem differ greatly from any homebrew octopus totem? I like this idea, but I just feel like there should be something else to set it apart from an octopus.

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-31, 04:17 AM
How, perchance, would the Kraken totem differ greatly from any homebrew octopus totem? I like this idea, but I just feel like there should be something else to set it apart from an octopus.

This is true but not my biggest problem, overall I think this is balanced, but not really fluff.

Furtherly, I think that giving several features isn't how totems work. They just get one feature on levels 3, 6 and 14 not 2 or more!

Your attempts to shove are now considered magical for...
? That doesn't help in any way.

M Placeholder
2016-01-31, 04:49 AM
I concur with the statements above in regards to the number of features, and some of them need explaining, such as the lv3 feature that turns you into a horrifying monster from the deep. For how long?

In addition, a totem beast is generally a more mundane creature. Rename this the Octopus Totem and have just one feature per level, and this would be pretty good.

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-31, 03:32 PM
I concur with the statements above in regards to the number of features, and some of them need explaining, such as the lv3 feature that turns you into a horrifying monster from the deep. For how long?

In addition, a totem beast is generally a more mundane creature. Rename this the Octopus Totem and have just one feature per level, and this would be pretty good.

With the horrifying monster he means the fluff (as under every totem) but I agree with you overall

Alerad
2016-02-01, 06:38 AM
I like your idea, in a session I DM-ed recently I had some dwarven vikings/tribal warriors raid the party's ship and then summon a Giant Octopus to finish the job as they were retreating. I ended up thinking of the Sea Otter totem (why?!), but now I'm thinking of stealing your idea for my future quests :D

Most totems really do follow 1 feature per level, some are two (Eagle - disadvantage on OA and Dash). Consider the following:

3 - While raging, you can Grapple as an Attack of opportunity. While (raging and) grappling a creature you can deal (1d4 + Str mod + Rage bonus) damage bludgeoning damage to it as a bonus action.
* I'm not sure about the damage amount. Maybe change to Unarmed attack damage.
** This way it is consistent with other attack types which grant bonus action. It doesn't require a roll, but you can't use a shield or two-handed weapon.

6 - You gain swimming speed and can hold your breath longer.
* I leave the actual numbers to you, but Swim = Walk speed looks ok to me.

10 - It's still fine as it is, but I'm going to suggest the feature I used - Conjure Animals (Giant Octopus :D)

14 - While raging you are considered one size category larger for the purposes of grappling and can breathe underwater.
* Don't take the 14th level feature too seriously though, I just thought of it now.

Otherwise I like the idea of the Kraken a lot, you can leave it like this.

Satyrnine
2016-02-02, 08:17 PM
Really flattered that anyone payed any attention to this post at all. This was my first homebrew and looking back it was a little silly.

I changed up the lvl 3 bonus to really set the tone for how a Kraken totem barb behaves. This kind of barb is just grabbing everything he/she can get its hands on.

I then axed the magic weapon hands part of lvl 6. You can still grapple werewolves only now you have to gut em with an enchanted broken beer bottle or something rather than your hands.

The lvl 10 bit is fine, changing this would jeopardize the compatibility of Kraken totem with the rest of the totems.

Lvl 14 I just started all over with.
The first point lets this barb amass a pile of wimps under him, which I think is damn awesome.
The second point makes for a sticky face hugger of a barbarian clinging to a dragons face.

If the barb wants expertise than it has to dip rogue and skip the capstone. Cuz tradeoffs.
Let me know.

Satyrnine
2016-02-02, 08:20 PM

I have yet to read of anyone bringing this point up regarding the half dozen dragon totems that exist on this forum, Including mine.

Octopus totem just sounds lame.

Can we just agree on a Cthullu totem?